4 WEEKS of REFOCUSING from 25th October… looking towards future success!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

I am starting another 4 week cycle of 800/30. For the first time ever I am changing my weigh in day from Tuesday to Wednesday. I didn’t join the last 4 week challenge, partly because I’d not long had hip surgery and was not at my best. But I’m worse off for not joining in. I am going away on holiday four weeks tomorrow so I thought this is a perfect opportunity to get back on the wagon and start anew, especially as I am now well recovered. Exercise is never going to feature heavily in my regime but I can lose weight anyway.

So, from Wednesday October 25th I shall be weighing and logging, losing crisps, digestive biscuits and even my adored treat, Lindt 90%! Red wine will have to take a back seat and I’m about to read through some recipe books for inspiration. I’m sure one of my downfalls is not having a varied enough menu.

So, my goal for the next 4 weeks is to refocus, stop looking backwards to my success in the past and start focusing on the future. I just want to get back into losing mode instead of maintenance so no specific weight loss target as yet just a desire to recapture my ‘losing’ spirit.

Anyone wanting to come on the journey with me will be most welcome.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Go, Verano, go! I’ve got my pom-poms ready to go for optimal cheerleading and weird recipes galore whenever you feel need to mix it up a bit more.

To kick things off, I know you enjoy smoked salmon. How about an assorted smoked fish salad? I made one a couple of weeks ago with smoked salmon, chopped smoked trout and smoked herring. I had about an ounce and a half of each fish (40 or so grams) dressed with an oz of cream cheese that I thinned out with a splash of fermented pickle juice, lemon juice and the yummy salty brine from the caper jar. Added in some capers, a chopped green onion, fresh ground black pepper and smoked salt. I ate it in lettuce cups, first romaine hearts, then switched to escarole for the second run. For even easier finger food, you could scoop the seeds out of a persian cucumber or pickling cucumber (the smaller cukes are lower in carbs because they have a higher peel to flesh ratio) and spread the smoked fish salad in the trough.

Have fun. 🙂

• posted by Theodora
    on

Yeah, Verano, I’m right behind Esnecca cheering you on and shaking my pompoms for you!

I often have a smoked fish salad too, wonderful and very tasty suggestion, and your dressing sounds divine, will give that a go. I add in delicious smoked mackerel too. Living by the sea, we often catch the mackerel ourselves (sometimes, they are so plentiful that the water literally churns with them, and we wade In and catch them just in our hands). When they are fresh out of the water, we gut them (that’s the “Royal We” you understand😜) and sling them on some burning coals/driftwood on the beach and they are simply delicious – from water to mouth in 15 mins. Any left over, we bring home and smoke ourselves, which preserves them beautifully for a week so they are ready to toss in a salad whenever we fancy them. I also often whizz a couple of the smoked fillets in the blender with lots of black pepper, lemon juice and a bit of cream cheese, which makes a lovely dip with crudites. Would be good in your baby cucumbers too.

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello Verano – bit of an odd request as I’m nearly finishing the Halloween challenge but can I join you?
    Wednesday for weighing always does actually suit me. With a little check on Friday!

You said:
    “So, from Wednesday October 25th I shall be weighing and logging, losing crisps, digestive biscuits and even my adored treat, Lindt 90%! Red wine will have to take a back seat and I’m about to read through some recipe books for inspiration. I’m sure one of my downfalls is not having a varied enough menu.”
    This is very much like me and I need to really get back into the swing of things and stop slipping.
    Today was a reasonably good start. I had prawns for lunch dipped in lemon and coriander hummus which is a change from the usual things I sling in my mouth just because it might not be high in carbs!

All the best!

Theodora, that sounds absolutely divine!

• posted by Verano
    on

Welcome along Baristagirls not an odd request at all. It’s always good to have company and if it gets you back on track then why not be a part of many challenges.

How can we possibly fail with our ‘cheerleaders’ franticallly waving their Pom Poms at us!!!

Thanks for the fish ideas Esnecca and Theodora. I am a fish addict. Yesterday at the races I had smoked salmon, smoked trout and smoked mackerel salad as a starter. How bizarre is that??? I do make a really good smoked mackerel pate but I add some horseradish to it as well as a little Tabasco and plenty of lemon juice. Thank you so much for your enthusiasm. No room for failure here I’ll be too embarrassed to let you down, and myself.

Baristagirls I have always weighed daily but Tuesday has always been my once a week day. I feel strange changing that day after maybe 50 years! Anyway, this is a new start for us so let it be Wednesday.

• posted by Dragonfly47
    on

Hi Verano,

I would love to join your 4 weeks of refocusing. I live In NZ we’re there are opportunities of pleantly for exercise but since the Christchurch earthquake 6 years ago I have lost my mo jo and my get up and go has got up and gone and been replaced with 13k. Need the support of a forum to help get things back under control and my life back on track.

Just waking up to the 24th here so will be a perfect start . I’m a perpetual dieter who is on the carb merry go round, just on week 29 with Weight Watchers which has been a dissmal failure, actually put 2ks on! In fairness carnt blame the diet but been allowed to substitute suger snacks for sweetened snacks and also have carbs did not help, hanging the boots up and cancelling my membership and after reading the research this all makes sense.

Looking forward to joining you on the journey.

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Thanks Verano. We can do this! Maybe we can also inspire ourselves with fish themes. I just love all things fish! Sadly can’t try a fish salad as I can’t have too many raw vegetables but I can have it with maybe tomato and mozzarella and sauce.

Bring on Wednesdays. I hate the term “weighing Wednesday” which Weightwatchers do. I’d rather something more exciting and encouraging. How about Whoosh Wednesdays? Or Wahey Wednesday. You can probably come up with a better suggestion!

• posted by Verano
    on

Welcome Dragonfly. Looks like we are just going to have to help you find that mo jo again. I can promise you that with Esnecca and Theodora shaking their pom poms we have no chance of slacking!

I guess that this is your first time with the Blood Sugar Diet. It really is very different from any other plan. I have been around for over 12 months and I’m sure Esnecca has too. Theodora has been here for all of 2017 I think. I’m not sure about Baristagirls but I’m sure she has been around for a while. So, what I’m really saying is that there is plenty of experience on this thread so just ask away if you have any questions.

I think one of the most difficult concepts to get your head around is ‘fat’ is our ‘friend’ not the enemy we have been brainwashed into thinking. You will find this way of eating different to anything you have tried before. People can’t understand how you can live life, and even enjoy meals more, without simple carbs. Potatoes, rice, bread and pasta just become a thing of the past. After a while you just won’t want to eat them. Taste buds change and BSD friendly food just becomes more enjoyable especially when you have posters like Esnecca, read her story by the way it’s amazing, who posts some of the most weird and wonderful recipes. Do you eat fish? Looks like we may have several fish lovers on this thread.

Anyway, keep an open mind, try and forget ‘traditional diets ‘ and give it a good shot …. it works! Not only that but it seems that maintenance is a real possibility. This way, which some call the ‘third way’ may just be the way we actual get off the diet merry-go-round.

Best of luck on your journey and just keep posting if you can.

• posted by Verano
    on

Baristagirls I’m so pleased you are a fish lover too. But have to say I do like a good fillet steak as well!

Must admit my weighday has never been called by any name before. Please call Wednesdays any name you fancy if it helps. For me I think it’s a case of a rose by any other name ….. just that dreaded day here yet again! Why do the weeks seem to go so quickly!!!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Verano (and other maintainers that I am coming to know!)
    I’m so happy to join in this new thread, but happiest of all to
    see your newly refocused efforts, Verano. You have a special
    place in my heart because I can relate so well to the physical
    challenges that you have had to overcome. I find the generosity
    of spirit on this forum awe inspiring, not to mention the body
    of knowledge and creativity that I discover each time I read your
    comments. I’m ready to refocus on the way forward, armed with
    all the strategies you have all shared.
    Thank you for starting this new challenge, I’ll be seeing you all
    on this thread, as well as over on the great new maintenance one
    begun by Mixnmatch. I’ve many NSV to share, but I’ll save them
    for future posts.
    Wishing everyone a fine new day. Weighing in tomorrow…

Allie

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Well no whoosh today but just exactly the same, hey ho, we carry on carrying on. Fillet steak I do agree is absolutely delicious. At least it hasn’t got high carb value! Even if it is a lot of calories. Just have to have it with butter fried onion instead of chips.
    Hello Dragonfly, I have been around since May 2016 but I am a very spasmodic poster sorry! I don’t always have an awful lot of time and spend a bit of time away. But I do have a little experience as I’ve been a low-carber for nearly 18 months now. It used to be me and my mum posting under the same name but it’s just me now.
    Verano is quite right about fat being the friend a strange concept. I still feel a bit “smug” eating fatty things and trying to explain to people it’s a most tasty diet to lose weight on!
    I too tried weightwatchers, slimming world, everything out there to no avail and the reason I always failed was because on those plans, you can have an awful lot of carbs. Believe me, its the CARBS that is always the downfall and I feel so sad when I see those “typical plates” they teach kids about, a third is green with vegetable, a third is red with protein, and a third is yellow with carbs! No!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Verano, your turn to make me smile 😃 Thank you.

Really good to hear you all sounding so positive about refocusing, and I’m jumping up and down like mad waving my pompoms at you all and cheering you on – and what very good exercise that is going
    to be – a daily mini workout in fact 😜 Who needs a gym when they’ve got pompoms?!! Just so you can picture me, mine are shocking pink, what colour are your’s Esnecca?

Baristagirls, thank you for clearing up that mystery for me – I’d always wondered why your name was in the plural. I do like it though (singular or plural ) because it always makes me think of good coffee, and I’m a bit of a coffee freak😄 just love the stuff and, since going bsd it has become my number one treat. 😃 Can’t beat a good, strong, double espresso to give a wonderful flavour hit😀 I do try to limit myself (all that caffeine😱) but at least there’s no calories!

• posted by Verano
    on

DAY 1 of 28 and the START of a new downward trend for us all.

So …. the ‘girls’ are waving their pom-poms and jumping up and down so lets get to it and not let all their efforts go to waste!

We just have to take one day at a time.

Theodora I am laughing out loud!!

Baristagirls this is just starting so today is a new day, a new weigh-in , and yesterday has gone. Don’t worry about nothing happening … it will. Chin up we will get to our goals.

Hi Allie so glad you are joining us but I have a confession, I’m only a ‘maintainer’ in sheep’s clothing. I’m really still a ‘need to loser’ who has been maintaining for far too long! So it’s back to refocusing, yet again, but with all this support, and the ‘cheerleaders’, we can’t fail here.

Somebody said that the first thing they do each day is drink 1/2 a litre of water so I am going to give that a shot …. not literally! I know that one of my downfalls is not drinking enough water. I used to drink loads but when my mobility became challenged it was easier not to have to go to the bathroom every 5 minutes. So subconsciously I stopped drinking enough water. Anyway, times move on and my new hip has helped tremendously so I now have no excuse.

So today I will drink at least 2 litres of water. How will you begin to refocus today?

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Thanks Theodora – enjoying the pom poms! As for coffee – well its my life! (Not literally haha!) Double shot. I do love a milky latte though or sometimes with cream so it takes up a bit of my calorie and carb allowance! I stick to one of those. Since we started this WOE, me and mum especially like to treat ourselves with lovely fresh coffee beans from London as we have a sage barista machine – makes everything so much more worthwhile.
    I did try to change my username to single but you can’t and I didn’t want a new user so hey ho!
    Verano – GFI with the water. That’s something I can usually keep up so to refocus today I am going to eat slowly and mindfully – something I forget and usually just plough through my food!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Guys, good luck with this. I’m already doing the October challenge, (although I need to update with my losses) and prefer to weigh on a Saturday so good luck with this 4 week challenge. You can never have too many supporters, right?

Drangonfly – I’m fairly new to this way of eating – 10 weeks. And like the others have said, I’ve also failed with WW, Slimming World etc due to the carbs. Once it clicks, it’s a revelation! I’ve lost 16 lbs in total. Had a 3 week plateau during that time which seems to be quite normal. BUT, even if the scales don’t move much, the inches lost you cannot ignore! So please measure your arms, thighs, waist, hips and chest as soon as you can. 🙂 Good luck!

• posted by Lessmuffintop
    on

Hi Verano, Baristagirls and Dragonfly47 I would love to join in. I was willing the Halloween thread to come to an end to start a new challenge. This is perfect timing for me. I lost 20lbs and got down to 24.9 bmi so was happy! Stayed there for a month getting used to it then got a terrible virus for 2 weeks still a bit lethargic. I put on 7lbs and have slowly over the last week cut down , used the fast cook book and bizarrely to my amazement am back to just 1lb away from 24.9 bmi. It is super weird because last year before the BSD it took me 8 weeks to lose 3 lbs. so am feeling this is all doable ! I now feel I need to lose more body fat as I have not got to my target and still have a fatty tummy. I didn’t want to buy new clothes really as for work I need suits. But … I have now bought a few bits and am feeling super motivated. I have a weekend away at the end of November and would love to lose 10 lbs … aim high!! Plus that will take me to 23 years since I was last at that weight .. I actually have an old dress to fit into !!!
    I like your nudge on the water Verano I read someone blog who lost 6 stone and she said she had to force herself to drink 2l before noon . So hope is ok to join and off to drink the 2 litres now.

• posted by Verano
    on

KazzUK thanks for your input and good wishes. Well done on your loss so far. It’s so good to have newbies and oldies together. I had completely forgotten about the ‘inches’ but you are so right and also about the ‘plateau’ phenomenon … I seem to have been on one for the last few months!! Hoping that it will soon be over.

• posted by Verano
    on

Lessmuffintop glad you are joining us. You have done amazingly well. I think you are right it is ‘amazingly weird’ that gains seem to disappear really quickly if you attack then straight away. Wow 10lbs is aiming high as you probably don’t have a great amount left to lose. At least you joined the Halloween challenge I didn’t even start! I will do the November one though because I think I need as much encouragement as I can get at the moment! I am determined to lose some weight before I go away in 4 weeks for a few reasons. A few days after we get home I have a ‘special’ birthday and which ‘party girl’ doesn’t want to look her best! Then of course it will only be a week until Christmas and the combination of all three could see me feeling very gloomy in the New Year. BUT I’m not going to let that happen so need to store up some good losses!

Water … such a simple thing yet so many of us struggle to drink it. I now use 50cl bottles so that I can at least monitor how much I’m drinking. So far today it’s not quite a litre and it’s after 11am so better get drinking up!

• posted by Antigone
    on

I’m in! I have wandered, been distracted and tempted over the last several months but I am back to fight the good fight. I need to read the book again and keep checking in on you folks – it really makes such a difference to have the support of other ‘losers’!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Antigone I think we have all been travelling down the same path but it’s all about to change!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Verano, keep laughing out loud, it’s really good exercise, uses calories and is good for the soul 😃 I’ve always said that the main reason my marriage has lasted 48 years is that, no matter how mad I get with o/h, he can always make me laugh, even after all these years 😃 Physical impossibility to laugh out loud and stay mad at the same time 😜

As far as water is concerned, I’m sure it is key. I drink loads, and your body gets used to it and, after a while one doesn’t need to run to the loo any more than usual. Personally, I lost 50lbs in approx 17 weeks and am now in my 6th month of maintenance. But on the days I cannot drink my usual water quota, I generally put on a pound or two. Comes straight off once I manage to get back to my normal water consumption. I drink a pint upon waking, another pint a couple of hours later when I return from walking the dogs ( before that first delicious double espresso of the day and my late breakfast). I only have 2 meals a day, so have another pint instead of lunch (before my 2nd coffee). Another pint mid-afternoon, another before my main meal of the day, and yet another before bed. Plus loads of weak black tea. It’s just a case of forming the habit, so go for it.

I’m loving the positivity of this thread, so keep it up girls, or those shocking pink pompoms will be coming to get you 🔮🔮

PS – edited to say I’ve no idea why my attempt at pompoms turned blue! They were shocking pink when I posted them.😱

• posted by Theodora
    on

PPS – Forgot to mention that my shocking pink cheerleader pompoms are REAL, they don’t just exist in my over-active imagination 😃 They are the remnants of one of my lovely grandaughter’s fads, hence the shocking pink 😄 and I had totally forgotten about them until I read Esnecca’s post. Anyway I just wanted you to know that I have dug them out and am shaking them in the flesh, so to speak, in order to cheer you on😃 Getting some funny looks from the family, but who cares, they are used to my mad ways, and haven’t had me committed yet😜

• posted by Verano
    on

Theodora at least you are doing it in the privacy of your own home!! But anyway thank you for being there keeping us laughing.

Just had my first real test of the day …. biscuits with my after lunch coffee …. resisted! Still drinking water so all going well.

BTW Theodora your pom-poms are pink on my iPad but blue on my PC so work that one out, but anyway please just keep shaking.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Haha, Verano – if you think my home is private, please think again! Seems I have a never-ending stream of visitors, mostly family doing a fly-by with their own key, so they catch me at it!😉

Actually, not even at home at the moment, was supposed to be travelling home today, but weather so glorious that we decided to sneak another day as the weather has been so dire up til now.

Well done on resisting the biscuits – you are definitely on top of this.

Bizarre, how the pompoms appear as different colours dependent upon devices.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

My pompoms are blue and white (go Royals!) and they look smashing alternating with your shocking pinks ones, Theodora. 😀

Your water resolution for day is a great one, Verano. I chug 28 oz within a half hour of waking up and I carry a 24 oz bottle on my long walks. Does your hip replacement require you to do some basic activity as a form of PT? Not sitting too long, etc.? I’m thinking restocking on water and having to pee a lot as a result might dovetail nicely with your recovery needs.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, everyone! Verano, judging by the responses to your new thread
    on day 1, this is going to be a wonderful and lively challenge. My
    first, and you already have me laughing. 🙂 I wish I had some
    ancient pom poms, but the closest I ever got to the athletic field
    was to date a lot of athletes. Even married one, in fact!
    Managing maintenance is going very well, but I’ve lost focus
    with respect to the exercise. I had a concussion about 4 weeks
    ago that put me out of commission for weeks, but no more
    excuses!
    Theodora, I agree that laughter plays an important part in a
    long and successful marriage. That, and having a short memory 🙂

Wishing everyone a successful day 1!

Allie

• posted by Verano
    on

Allie we accept ‘virtual’ pom-poms here so just get those arms a waving! This challenge is for refocusing on whatever it is that’s important to you. If it’s exercise for you great… waving those pom-poms has you half way there!

I agree about the ‘laughter’ Theodora but I think Allie may just have the edge with the ‘short memory’ idea. I actually wonder sometimes how we ever got anywhere near 48 years maybe it’s just that my o/h had the patience of a saint!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Verano, my o/h has the patience of a saint, too – at least with me. Not so with anyone else. And I do agree about the short memory, absolutely vital. Our other secret, which my beloved late father told me on the eve of my wedding, and which we have always adhered to is…………..never let the sun go down on an argument.

• posted by Ancient Weaver
    on

Well, I’ve had a bit of a hiccup due to not being able to weigh/calorie count food on various days, but I’ve still managed to lose another couple of pounds, and today I found time to go swimming and also bought a couple of CD’s to tszuj* up my workout to hopefully boost my metabolism. So this seems like the right place for me, too.

I’ve run into a bit of a problem with the CD’s though, as I had forgotten about anti-copying stuff. Is there any way I can make a playlist with songs from more than one CD?

(*Who knew that’s how it’s spelled? I had to look it up!)

• posted by Theodora
    on

Esnecca, you are so right – can’t do better than blue, white and shocking pink😃 Add Allie’s virtuals into the mix, and how could you go wrong? 😃

The people on this thread are going to smash it, I feel it in my bones (not to mention my pompoms) and my ancient bones are rarely wrong. So go girls, go🔮🔮

• posted by alliecat
    on

Theodora, it’s quite the coincidence that you, I and Verano have
    just celebrated our 48th anniversaries. Just this past week I
    also had my 69th birthday, so I daresay my bones are becoming
    a bit ancient too! Fortunately I feel about 40, so no worries here.
    It is indescribably wonderful to become reacquainted with these
    old bones though, isn’t it?? 🙂 Esnecca?

• posted by Verano
    on

Esnecca sorry missed your post but that sounds like one heck of a lot of water in a day. I’m just up to nearly 2 litres for today! Yes my hip does require a certain amount of ‘movement’ and I really am trying. I actually managed 100 yards without stopping yesterday. Now I know that seems like very little but I’m still using crutches, and will probably always need one, so it was a huge step forward. Just to be out of pain is a bonus. Now I need to increase exercise somehow. I will start using weights again but for today I’m concentrating on water!

That sounds like a good one Theodora but whatever we are doing it’s working!

Ancient Weaver welcome to our little band good to hear that you’re still losing despite your little problem. Can’t help you with the cd but you’ve definitely come to the right place for encouragement and enthusiasm.

• posted by Verano
    on

Allie we seem to be a growing band! Happy birthday and so glad you feel like 40! I must admit I’m feeling much more sprightly since my op so long may it last. We just need to keep on keeping on…. as s-g would say, and hopefully we’ll all keep feeling young for the foreseeable future.

on

Thanks for the welcome to your growing band. 🙂

The CD’s are really annoying me now, I can’t even make a list from the CD in the drive! So much for buying legitimate CD’s; I could do more with pirate versions!!!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you, Verano! I forgot to add earlier that I’m very happy
    to know that your hip surgery has relieved you of some of the
    pain you have been suffering. Walking 100 yds without stopping
    must be so encouraging. You will be adding to it before you
    know it!
    Ancient Weaver and all others that I haven’t met yet, welcome
    aboard. This will be a great challenge, and a perfect way to
    get ready for the upcoming holiday season. Glad to have you
    all on the road with us! (Hi, Kazz. It’s wonderful to see you
    here, too 🙂 )

Allie

• posted by Shazzam
    on

I’m brand new to the forum but would really like to join you all, if that’s ok. Just had my first day on the bsd and would welcome a bit of support really and know that I’m not alone as I don’t expect it to be easy.

I’d offer to help with the cheerleading but , trust me, you wouldn’t want to see me in a satin ra-ra ….

I read the BSD a few months back and was super-inspired by it’s message but then did nothing about it. So today has been the first day of righting that wrong.

I feel very committed to starting this and hope I can make friends while losing inches ……

• posted by Esnecca
    on

allicat, my anniversary is in November (24 years of unwedded bliss) but my birthday was just a couple of weeks ago. The spooky communalities continue to crop up, don’t they? Well, ’tis the season and all that. Speaking of which, I’m making jack-o-lantern deviled eggs on Friday, which is really just deviled eggs with a few flecks of parsley, chives, capers, nori and turkey bacon arranged on top of the piped yolk filling in configurations slightly resembling jack-o-lantern faces.

Congratulations on your wins today, Verano! You kept up with the drinking, walked 100 yards and dodged the biscuit bullet all in one day. Looks like those future successes have leapt into the present already. Well done you. 😀

• posted by Theodora
    on

Welcome Shazzam – and we would be happy to have you waving your pompoms, satin rara skirt and all😃 The more the merrier in my view…….

Give me a B, give me an S, give me a D….😄😃😁

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning everyone …… whenever I ‘tune in’ to this thread I smile!

Welcome Shazzam you have certainly come to the right place for help and guidance. We have three of the most successful, and knowledgeable BSD’ers amongst us. Admittedly they are all waving pom-poms but please don’t let put you off and yes if you want to join in the ‘waving’ in your satin ra ra feel free!

So to Day 2 … and no I’m not going to countdown everyday.

Yesterday was good for me with just a little not so good. I managed an extra litre of water last night making around 3 in all so really pleased with that. This morning the scales are showing that the water is working it’s magic and I’ve been rewarded with a modest loss. So today will be more of the same, water, water and more water.

The not so good involved socialising. Friends popped in and then another joined us for dinner so the inevitable red came out. Nonetheless, as Esnecca has pointed out, there were no biscuits but there was walking and water, though not together! Tonight is another challenge as we are out again. I may or may not have some wine but I will definitely be drinking water. I can’t drop all my bad habits in one day so I plan on just focusing on one step at a time.

My task for week one is to refocus on drinking water everyday and not just the first few days of a new challenge, which is my usual way.

Hope everyone else is also refocusing on one element of their regime but if it is on more than one then that’s a bonus.

• posted by Antigone
    on

Morning All – thank you Verano for leading this thread – I really appreciate your gentle reassurance in my head 🙂 I was very good yesterday (apart from a spoonful of jam in my yoghurt) carbs were 15g for the day! I am going to focus on the water too – does anyone know why other fluids don’t appear to work as well as water? I drink gallons of black (decaf) coffee – which I prefer to water so will water still help? ..thinking about making pompoms to keep my hands busy this evening!

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning hope all is well on the refocusing front.

Well done Antigone I don’t think I have ever managed to stay as low as 15g in a day. Amazing. I think these days I’m usually closer to 40 and sometimes even more! In some ways it’s a conscious decision to be higher because I have oat crackers with cheese for lunch some days. In themselves they are around 3.3g but when you add a few to your diet they soon add up.

Yesterday wasn’t the best for me with some ’emotional’ eating throwing a spanner in the works. In my anger at another persons poor behaviour towards me I succumbed to two digestives! Nonetheless, I continued with the water mantra, and even though I had less than the day before, I have still seen another modest drop on the scales this morning. So for me it’s onward with the magic water mantra today. I have already had nearly 1/2 a litre so not a bad start.

Hope the relative ‘quietness’ on this thread means that everyone is too hard at work refocusing to post. Have a good day.

• posted by Lessmuffintop
    on

Thank you Verano for keeping us going and the water reminders. I upped the water and reversed my emotional eating from the other day ….there are certain people who just have the knack of being consistently awful!! But with lots of water their sabotage has been successfully drowned out! Hope you have a cheerier day today !!! I am feeling very pompon waving today !

• posted by Theodora
    on

Lessmuffintop, glad to hear you’re joining the growing band of pompom wavers.😃

Verano, sorry someone else’s behaviour upset you, but we’ll done on stopping at 2 digestives and not gorging on them. Pleased you are refocused now and that the scales have dipped for both you and LMT😃

Onwards and downward girls. (gives a little shake🔮🔮🔮)

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks Theodora and Lessmuffintop. My little book of 101 ways of thinking positively is really coming into it’s own at the moment. Added to which I’ve just ordered personalised Christmas sacks for my grandsons, who I thought had grown out of such things. BUT no they are still anticipating a sack with presents. It’s lifted my heart. The drivel from those other ‘destructive’ people is of no consequence in my life!

on

As well as trying to stick to 800cal, I’m doing my own version of pom-pom waving. That’s what the CDs are for.
    I’m focusing on ‘feeling energised’. I have long been aware of the power of visualisation, and positive thinking, but had never managed to find a way to apply it to weight loss that might actually work. (Imagining myself thin is an obvious non-starter because I always think of myself as light and agile in any visualisation I have ever done, but still put on weight over the years.) A few days ago though, I came across an article that chimed with my pet theory that things that, from times immemorial, have told our bodies that times are plentiful will be good for weight loss and vice versa.
    Anyways, the article went on to suggest a visualisation before exercise, and going from what it had been talking about before, I expected to be visualising being a hunter-gatherer stalking then chasing down a deer or some such creature, but all it was was running on a beach feeling happy and a bit of excitement thrown in for good measure, but then I realised that that adds up to be the same kind of relaxed exhilaration that you’d get on a not totally essential hunt, and that yes it would still get your heart racing, and probably also boost your metabolism into losing surplus fat.
    So, I decided to add a little happiness and excitement to my little workouts by adding music and a bit of fast dancing to my old favourites and a few slightly newer but fun things like “Walk like an Egyptian”.
    And yes, that post was a long time in the writing!

In general, I avoid all grains like the plague, but biscuits with tea at friends’ houses and ‘Cheddars’ that my Mum keeps leaving lying around are a too frequent diversion. I must get better at reminding myself that there’s precious little genuine nutrition in them!
    I’ve actually found how to make crackers without flour, using ground almonds and egg, so I can have crackers with my cheese again. 🙂
    Letting go of negative feelings is important, and two digestives is a lot better than a bowl of ice cream, so well done still, and ditch the guilt too.

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi everybody. Like Shazzam I am new to this website, and hope I can join this thread. There seems to be a good mix of very experienced members as well as some newbies! I am starting today in the hope of being back to a healthy BMI by Christmas. I’m not diabetic (I think!) but am 10 kilos above a healthy BMI with muffin top. I’ve always struggled with my weight, and want to see if this approach will work for me. . I’ve read the book, and am reading it again. And have the recipe book too. So wish me well please and wave a few pom-poms!

• posted by abisaysyes
    on

Hi Caronl and Shazzam and everyone else! I would love to join you for a 4 week focus if that’s ok… I’m looking to lose 7kgs in 4 weeks, do you think that’s possible? I just love food so (like everyone I guess) don’t like cutting down, but I desperately need to! I’m also on some meds that make me put on weight, but they’re not that bad and to be honest they also make me a bit depressed which is probably more likely why I’ve put on weight recently! I’m going to read the book again over the weekend and recommit to it all. Will weigh in on Wednesday with you all… Hoping for a positive move by then! Go go go everyone, you can do it X

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi caronl and abisaysyes welcome to BSD and to this thread. Yes we re a good mix of new, old and maintainers so plenty of experience. Just ask away if you have any questions. This way of eating does really work it’s just a case of sticking to the rules! Abisaysyes everyone loses at different rates so it’s just a case of make a start and see how you go but 7kgs in 4 weeks might be a bit ambitious unless you have a lot to lose and you haven’t lost weight recently. Even then it may be a struggle to reach that figure. Anyway, best of luck to both of you on your journey.

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning everybody. Well day 4 and I’ve already been on that ‘merry go round’. I hadn’t realised I’m an ’emotional’ eater I just thought I ate rubbish out of boredom but the last few days have proved otherwise. Anyway, I will make up for it by drinking even more water today, which should leave me less room for food!

Hope you all have a good day and a good weekend.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Verano – I realised this August that I am an emotional eater also – which is how I put on the 6lb over August and September while only eating BSD foods. Although an emotional eater I also used to eat out of boredom – or because of the carb addiction.

The carb addiction eating was the worse part of my old WOE because it made the weight gain from the emotional and boredom eating truly colossal. I once gained 10lb in one week on holiday – that was pure carb addiction plus a little bit of emotional eating because I had been hit by a van while cycling.

So the 6lb over 2 months is actually quite a small gain and I have already lost 3lbs of

Please log in or register to post a reply.