4 WEEKS of REFOCUSING from 25th October… looking towards future success!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Lessmuffintop, the only time I’ve encountered the “expectations of
    others” question has been when I’ve been a guest in someone’s
    home and they’ve gone to some trouble in preparing a homemade
    dessert (pudding?). I haven’t wanted to ever hurt any feelings, so
    I get by by eating the smallest serving possible, and I’m fairly
    insistent on that. Just don’t want to draw attention to myself,
    I guess! I appreciate the problem, though. I do in general agree
    with Verano, however. Most people are too involved in their own
    “feed” to notice! 🙂

• posted by Theodora
    on

Lessmuffintop, have to agree with both Verano and Allie – most people don’t notice, let alone care, what you are, or more importantly are not, eating. As Allie says, it’s a little more difficult in somebody’s home, when they have spent time and effort preparing a dessert and, like her, I generally have just a taster. My excuse to the hostess is always along the lines of “the main course was SOOO delicious, I’m afraid I ate too much and didn’t leave room for dessert, sorry”.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I’ve actually found that a lot of people are oddly invested in what other people eat. They take your choices as a silent judgment of theirs, or for whatever reason find the very idea of avoiding certain foods to be the nemesis of “having fun.” That’s most prevalent with alcohol, but by no means restricted to it. After all, how many times have even committed BSDers on this forum pulled the old “life is for the living” card to justify eating bad cards?

Caronl, forget about everything you ever did and learned doing WW. Push it out of your head. Use MyFitnessPal or Fat Secret to look up foods, log a day’s worth and the app does all the math. Weighing and measuring takes a second, and it’s necessary to proper cooking anyway. It’s easy, enlightening even, and keeps you mindful and aware of what you eat. It bears no relation to WW’s arcane point-counting tedium that only distances you from your food and gave you PTSD.

• posted by Lessmuffintop
    on

Thanks for all info on carbs and protein. The odora did give me a teach in a few months ago but has done me good to have a revamp. Thanks you are right most folk don’t bother but one friend does as enesca says take it as a judgement and then I feel pressure but it is my fault for giving in. Like you say happens with alcohol and I would be the first to say why would you to pease someone!

• posted by Verano
    on

Theodora ever the diplomat!

Esnecca I am one of those people guilty of saying ‘life is for living’ but generally in the context of slotting life into BSD rather than the other way around, as you say, as an excuse for eating the wrong carbs. Unfortunately, not everyone is blessed with your level of self control, I wish I was. I think that one of the ‘problems’ with these threads is that there is a mix of those with diabetes, and other health problems, and those without and it’s often difficult to distinguish one from the other by their posts. Obviously if you have control of your diabetes living the BSD life,, as I do, you can’t go back to your old ways unless you want to return to previous bad health. Whereas the consequences of eating carbs for those with only weight problems, and I don’t say that to make light of a weight problem, are less severe. So, although some people do advocate that ‘life is for living’ they may not be the ones suffering from diabetes etc. I can so identify with Kirstie Sullivan from the link above when she says ,” I’m terrified of going back to that place of hunger and sickness and pain and obesity. I see carbs, I see all those things”.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

It’s perfectly understandable, Lessmuffintop. Nobody wants to get into drama with old friends at a social event. We’ve all got our hang-ups and pet peeves and I think most of us have learned to deal with our friends’ quirks over the years by deflection, compromise or just keeping our mouths shut. These are ingrained patterns of behavior and hard to break out of. The only thing you should be reproaching yourself for is blaming yourself for her boorishness. You should congratulate yourself on being a kind, forbearing friend and build yourself up instead of knocking yourself down so next time you’ll be in an empowered place instead of having to carry the weight of her pressure on top of your self-flagellation wounds.

I found it easier than I expected to shut those situations down. I don’t discuss. I don’t negotiate. I don’t even form full sentences. If I am offered or encouraged to eat foods on my Hell-No list, I just say “Nope” then ask the server/host about x and y instead. One syllable is far more effective than an explanation because it leaves no opening for debate. Think of your friend as a telemarketer trying to sell you something. What’s the best way to get out from their chatty clutches? “No thank you.” *Click*

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, Verano, I find it hard not to give a solid 10 thumbs up to everything
    Esnecca has to say here, but it is certainly a “sword of Damocles”
    that you have hanging over your head if being T2D is part of the
    challenge. You have achieved so much on this front, not to mention
    all the threads you have created that are so knowledgeable and
    informative. I know that you are a role model for many, probably
    that is why I always see you in the winners circle! It’s on the
    horizon for you, I just know it in my aging bones. I’ll be with you
    every step of the way, and there are too many that agree with
    me to begin to try to post the names of us all. Many thanks to
    you for all that you do to inspire us!

Allie

• posted by Verano
    on

Allie not for the first time you have brought a tear to my eye with your very kind words.

Yes I do have diabetes but I’m now in remission and have been medication free for nearly 3 months. My next review is in less than two weeks and we will see then how well I’m really doing! So, you see, for me, I am already in the ‘winners circle’. My aim was to reverse my diabetes …. done … so now, with less incentive than before, I just want to lose weight and look better!

I hate to disallusion you but I start/contribute to these threads for purely selfish reasons ….. I need all the help, advice, enthusiasm, friendship, laughter and joy that everyone brings to this place to keep me on track!

Allie, again, thank you, you give me credit where it isn’t really due …. but I like it and thank you!!!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hey Verano, don’t sell yourself short. You have reversed T2, and lost weight – you are an inspiration. More so because you are not perfect – it justshows what can be achieved if we just keep on keeping on.

Verano – the credit is very much due and I salute you 😚

• posted by Theodora
    on

PS Still jumping, still cheering, still shaking 🔮🔮

• posted by alliecat
    on

Theodora, what happened to our plan to get something accomplished
    today?? 🙂
    Okay, I’m turning off my laptop, NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• posted by Verano
    on

LOL …. YES … it really is about time you both did something more constructive!

But Theodora just so pleased you’re still jumping, cheering and shaking! Thanks for your support as well it makes me remember just how far I have come …. and how much better I feel for it. Noooo I do not want to go back so thank you all for helping me stay on track.

• posted by Verano
    on

Esnecca … re-reading Allie’s post makes me think I may have been a bit rude to you in my last post. I really do hope you know I wouldn’t do that. I think highly of you, your recipes and strength of character. You have done amazingly well I would hate to have put pen to paper, so to speak, and offended you. Certainly it would never be my intention. If I didn’t speak out of turn then fine and let’s just carry on being ‘friends’!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Oh lawds no. You were customary pleasant, thoughtful self. Besides, even if you had beaten me like I owed you money, it wouldn’t have bothered me in the least. I’ve been on the web a long time, Verano, and I’ve been in my share of scorching flamewars on discussion forums. This one is uniquely kind and supportive and you are a stellar example of that.

If anything, I was the one who expressed myself poorly. I just meant it’s an easy mindset to fall into, that living a good life = eating x food, one that is common even among people whose food choices can be the determining factor of whether they live long in good health or die a lingering, painful death before their time. It’s little surprise, then, to see that attitude in friends and family, especially when they don’t have health or weight issues forcing them to see things in a different light.

My own father, to whose genes I owe my struggles with insulin resistance, fought me on this in the beginning. He only stopped pushing carbs on me when I failed to respond in any way. Once I lost the weight, there wasn’t much else for him to say. Can’t argue with results.

He didn’t mean it in an ugly way, for the record. He just grew up very poor and couldn’t really wrap his head around me wanting to restrict my diet the way circumstances had forced him to as a child. You should have seen him when I ate tripe in Rome while he enjoyed a giant plate of fettucine ai porcini. He was so shocked that I would willingly subject myself to tripe instead of just making an exception for fresh pasta and in-season porcini. I’d never had tripe before, but he used to eat it all the time in some kind of soup when he was a boy and his mom needed to fill him and his three brothers with whatever source of protein they could afford. As it turned out, that tripe was one of the most delicious things I’ve ever eaten. 😀

• posted by Verano
    on

Esnecca I have to agree with your father ….. WHO would CHOOSE to eat tripe! You know if that was my only choice I would be a stick insect! Yes I can understand how a restrictive diet can seem so alien to anyone who has grown up ‘wanting’. I think our main problem is that we didn’t!

Sometimes writing on the web just isn’t the same as ‘speaking’ and I guess a lot gets lost in translation. I think here maybe we ‘know’ each other well enough now not to take offence but, nontheless, it does no harm to clear up any ‘shady’ chats now and again. You are among a few really helpful, supportive and wise posters who have helped me so much along the way and I’m really pleased we’re still ‘friends’ .

• posted by Verano
    on

DAY 10 of 28

Well yesterday the scales stayed the same and I thought I had got away with my bad eating of the day before BUT this morning the scales have crept up slightly. There’s no escape from self sabotage so back to the drawing board for me today and after 9 days my loss is now just over 1lb, miserable . This is what failure tastes like!

Hope you all have a good day.

• posted by Ancient Weaver
    on

Wednesday morning, I went swimming, did a few more lengths than last week, felt pretty good about it, had .5l water, wasn’t hungry, despite fasting.
    Mid-afternoon, was really tired, and eventually gave in and had a nap and slept solidly. With the aid of a tin of salmon, I had a whopping 86g of protein, without resorting to protein shake, but it did come to nearly 900calories all together. Despite the long nap, I slept pretty well that night, but by mid-morning I was feeling ropey, so had some breakfast (mostly dairy). By 11 I was totally zonked out again, and had to have another nap. I was fast asleep when the phone woke me up over an hour later . . . by this time there was no denying that it was protein deficiency, and as I know from past experience that, eating real food only, it would be the next morning at least before I felt better, I decided to have a protein shake and see if that was any better. It worked like a tonic!
    So, two lessons learned: One, next time I suspect protein deficiency, just wolf down a shake.
    Two, that I can’t keep up that level of activity without eating even more protein, and I can’t do that with real food and stick to 800cals.
    I really need to get fit, so dropping the exercise is not the way I want to go. Losing weight is just part of getting fit, and in many ways it’s just the cherry on top, but it’s a very nice cherry. I’m not terribly fussed about getting all my nutrients from real food really, but it is better for my, ahem, ‘internal workings’, and is much more satisfying in less tangible ways, than supplements and pills.
    So, bearing in mind that in the three weeks I was away this summer, I actually lost two pounds, despite not having a clue how many calories I was eating, and having food foisted on me even when I wasn’t hungry, including loads of fruit and occasional cakes: I am going to drop the 800 calorie aspect of BSD and just stick to my basic (BSD compliant) rules.

Avoid grains and starchy veg.
    Eat moderate portions.
    Eat when genuinely hungry, and don’t eat unless genuinely hungry. (Daytime fasting is easy now I’ve kicked Pavlov’s reflex for breakfast 😉 )
    Stay hydrated.
    Drink 1/2l plain cold water at least twice a day.
    Do some resistance training and some cardio every other day.
    Eat real food as much as possible, but take supplements and or vitamins any time I suspect a deficiency. (That’s a new one.)

Considering how little of that I managed while away, I should do better than 2lbs in three weeks. (Fingers crossed!)

on

Verano don’t despair you will just have upped your carbs and it will be water I fund the same last week. 1 pound is better than no pound , a pound a week is 52 a year in the right direction. Bank it! And move on. I lost .2 lb today but I feel I should have lost 10 I restarted excercise and killed myself. I did a 2hour walk and a line dance class my legs are sore. I like the idea of more protein ancient weaver I will try that as my weight loss does seem to slow down when I excercise. Off for eggs now!!

• posted by Verano
    on

THAT really does sound like a plan Ancient Weaver!! Best of luck.

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks for the encouragement Lessmuffintop just sometimes I feel the need to sigh about it all!

• posted by Sueonit
    on

Hi all , and thankyou for the welcome. Well done on your losses, I am ON IT,
    These are my goals for this challenge 💪
    I want to drop 1 stone before Xmas so:-
    trying to drink as much 💦 as possible. I too drink a pint in the morning before ☕️ and try to keep hydrated until lunchtime which is my first meal of the day. I am trying to get more steps in but can be a bit lazy!!! I know I want to reach the maintainer stage👍Well done to you all it’s amazing when you feel lighter, slimmer and most certainly healthier✅So my mantra is to read my BSD BOOK et al reaffirming this way of life for the future. To keep reinforcing to myself this is the healthy way.
    Positive thoughts and imagining foods that I shouldn’t eat covered in YUK is a FAB way of putting myself off eating them and reading your great tips and recipe ideas.
    Loss in week 1 , 5 lbs
    Week2 , 3 lbs
    Feeling really ON IT 😊 Good luck to all👍

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi all. Verano, have a great day. Don’t let the scales spoil it. If it came quickly on, it can go quickly too. Just back from a lovely hour walk in the woods, so full of the joys of Autumn! Today I am going to try hard again with water. And replaced my breakfast porridge with a mushroom omelette. Onwards and downwards? Good luck to everyone today.

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi all. Verano, have a great day. Don’t let the scales spoil it. If it came quickly on, it can go quickly too. Just back from a lovely hour walk in the woods, so full of the joys of Autumn! Today I am going to try hard again with water. And replaced my breakfast porridge with a mushroom omelette. Onwards and downwards? Good luck to everyone today.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Esnecca, I’m afraid I’m with Verano on the tripe front! Who on earth WOULD choose to eat it?!!! Well, you obviously, and it is also one of my o/h’s favourite things but I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE TO COOK IT for him!!! So he doesn’t get it very often, as it doesn’t often feature on restaurant menus, much to his chagrin.

Verano, as others have said, one bad day does not a disaster make, so don’t beat yourself up. As Caronl has said, if it came on quickly, it will come off just as quickly, and at least the trend is down, so bank the pound you have lost and just draw a line under everything else and remember just how far you have come.

I’m afraid I may not be jumping, cheering and shaking quite so enthusiastically today as I seem to have picked up a tummy bug and am feeling really ropey!😭 Spent most of the night on the loo (sorry, TMI) but did still manage to walk the dogs this morning (just) as there was no one else available to do it. Think I may have a “slow” day today and hope this S&D doesn’t cause any more weight loss.

• posted by Verano
    on

I know there’s no point in getting down as you both say it’s just one day, but, there seem to be too many of them of late. Also saw the physio this morning and looks like my exercises need revamping … more of them, more times a day and more reps! I know I have to do this for the best outcome but my it’s hard sometimes. Then there’s my final, hopefully, review with the surgeon later today. I guess sometimes my mobility issues just come to the forefront more and it makes me a bit low. BUT tomorrow will be another day and all will be fine.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, Verano. I’m sorry you aren’t having the best of days today.
    I certainly understand from experience how chronic health problems
    can wear us down sometimes. In my case, I never realize this
    until I feel better (mentally) again! You will too. Try not to be
    too hard on yourself, you’ve accomplished so very much and are
    such a beacon of hope on this forum.

Sending you a big hug!

Allie

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

You will get through this Verano, you always do. Just like me. Lets keep supporting each other and send virtual strength via the internet. On the subject of exercise I have bought myself 2 x 2kg weights for my arm muscles but cant really face them. I also have a new video workout that I have not opened yet. We will get to it in time, exercise is not the be all and end all, it is an additional weapon in our armoury. Keep on etc…….

• posted by Verano
    on

Tomorrow has arrived, and so today is here, and another day has dawned. Everything is back into perspective now. From the morning ‘gloom’ of the physio to the afternoon ‘sunshine’ of my surgeon, then a meal out with friends and the day ended far better than it had started. Added to which we saw many flocks of geese migrating, probably from Russian and Canada, to a nearby wild fowl park as we were on the motorway yesterday. It really was a magical sight.

Thanks for all your encouragement yesterday and yes s-g we always do manage to get through don’t we, although sometimes it’s damn hard. So glad all is going well for you and you can always lift those weights in tandem with our cheerleading, pom-pom waving pals here!

Today we have the family coming for lunch , Greek mezze, and dinner of fireworks, soup and burgers, bunless for me of course! So a busy day but BSD friendly and hopefully I’ll manage to get my full quota of water today. I find that when I have to travel too far from home as I subconsciously stop drinking water on those days, so that I don’t need bathroom stops in strange places. Odd maybe but just the way it is for me. Today I will get back to normal.

Hope you all have a good weekend and a safe one if it involves fireworks or any other manner of risk!

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Verano. I’m glad the gloom has lifted – have a lovely day. Not sure how mine has been! Had to rush to an all-day singing workshop, so reverted to porridge to keep me going. I did, however, manage to resist every single cake/biscuit/bake that was on offer during coffee, lunch and tea breaks. I am chuffed. And while everyone tucked into sandwiches, I brought out my carrot, red cabbage, walnut and smoked trout salad. So I am feeling a bit smug, though I suspect I have not lost any weight. Ah well – it could have been worse! Wishing you all a good weekend…

• posted by alliecat
    on

Caronl, those seem like excellent lunch choices to me! You should
    feel very pleased with yourself! 🙂 So much of success depends
    on being prepared. I always travel with a hard boiled egg
    and 8 almonds. So far, it has never failed me! Turning away from
    the cakes, etc., good work!

Allie

• posted by caronl
    on

Thanks Allie! And for the helpful snack tips. Before it always used to be a banana…….

• posted by Verano
    on

Sounds like a good day to me caronl!

When I started this thread nearly two weeks ago I wanted to recapture my ‘losing spirit’ instead of which I think I’ve ‘lost my spirit’! I don’t know why but my head is just not in the right place at the moment. Unfortunately I think I’ve been in ‘maintenance ‘ mode for so long it’s proving more difficult than I’d anticipated to get back to losing again. Partly I think it’s because I keep being told ‘how well I look ‘ but that’s a result of being pain free rather than having lost weight. It’s great to be getting compliments but they are counter productive in some ways. So any tips for getting back my motivation for losing again would be great.

Anyway, hoping those of you still reading this thread are doing well. Three more days to the end of week 2, and the mid point of this challenge, so let’s do our best to make them count and all have a positive result on Wednesday.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Verano, Verano, Verano!!!!!!

What, oh what, are we going to do with you?

It’s great that you seem to have found the secret of maintaining – going by my experience, that is MUCH more difficult than losing. So opt for the easier option, go strict, back to basics and into losing mode.

So, at your request, I am going to tell you that you are not looking at all well! You need to lose a few more pounds and then you will look, and feel, amazing. Go girl, go – you can do this. We believe in you, now PLEASE believe in yourself. YOU CAN DO THIS.

Now, not to put any pressure on you at all, but…………………………..I am jumping, cheering and shaking, please don’t make it all for nothing😉☹😀😜😛😝😋 WE BELIEVE IN YOU – YOU CAN DO THIS. XXXXXX

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Verano. Sometimes it can be so frustrating to find the right “switch”. You know you can do it, but something pulls you back. Theodora is so right – successfully maintaining takes huge will-power. I am full of admiration, since so much of my WW loss crept back in the three following years. So many congratulations on what you have achieved SO FAR. Now convince yourself that you deserve even more compliments and even better health. We are all rooting for you. Two more days to weigh in. I put on 0,2 kilos yesterday thanks to the porridge. I’m fasting this evening. Fingers crossed.

• posted by Ancient Weaver
    on

Verano, and others suffering low mood and tiredness, I’m not sure how to phrase this, I suggest you eat more protein.

Early this year I started to discover just how much my mood is affected by my protein consumption, and I am still shocked by the fact that even one day of insufficient intake can render me tired and depressed. I need more protein than most people, but the symptoms of deficiency are the same for everyone.

on

Ancient Weaver that is a good shout. I reread the posts on calculating protein and on that basis when I’m excercising I am definitely not having enough. I also need to look at more before bed and see how it effects my sleep. The great thing about this forum is there is always someone who has “been there” and knows the answer. Thanks

on

Oops should have said because I searched after your post and it said one effect was low heart rate and blood pressure and I have been finding this after lots excercise and feeling faint.

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning

Theodora thank you for making me smile. I couldn’t let you cheer me on and then fail, so socks firmly pulled up I’m still on my journey but with a tad more resolve.

Caron please don’t admire me because I just don’t deserve it. I have been resting on my laurels for far too long, probably since the end of May, and am only maintaining because I weigh everyday and I don’t eat simple carbs. It’s not because I am actively maintaining it’s just luck! WOW I hadn’t realised that that’s 5 months without any loss. I have been within the same 3 or 4lb band for nearly half a year! Time to get serious I think.

Ancient Weaver I have never calculated how much protein I need but that’s a really interesting idea. I’m going to check back over fatsecret and see just how much I have been eating, well on the days I’ve logged! I may just not have been having enough.

So off to work out my protein grams per day and get myself back on track. I don’t want to be here in another 5 months still hovering around the same weight when I still have quite a lot to lose. That’s the silly thing there’s no way I should be in maintenance I should be shedding fat!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Verano – and think, all of us with lots to lose, may well be close to our targets in another 6 months time …. joining the maintenance thread, having reached our goal… Don’t want to leave you behind! I’ve got an old pair of size 12 Levi jeans… 35 years old they are and I still have a photo of me wearing them when I was 20. I can’t get them past my calves at the moment (I’m size 26ish and was size 30 back in August when I started this). BUT, I WILL get them on eventually and I use them as a measure in the meantime. If you’ve not got anything similar already, go out and buy a pair! Hang them on your wardrobe door, a permanent reminder. Works for me! 🙂

Kazzeexx

• posted by Verano
    on

That’s the spirit Kazzee! Yes you will get there. Well done so far. Funnily enough I had a good clear out of clothes last week and sent loads to the charity shop. In fact my OH has just rung me to say there was a pair of M&S trousers still with the label on and did I really mean to put them in the charity bag …. yes …. because they are too big and I’ve never worn them!!! But I digress, I did find a lovely pink top which is quite clingy but I love it and would love to get back into it. In fact I think I will make that my goal rather than a specific weight. Yes I will hang in on my wardrobe as a constant reminder of where I want to be. Thank you for reminding me to have something ‘for the future’ . I am just in between sizes at the moment so that really should be incentive enough to get down …. so near and yet so far …. keep on keeping on ……

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Glad to be of service, Verano … 🙂

… the other thing… last year, the security man said to me when he saw me on dress down Friday wearing my £8 Matalan “pumps” – “heeeyyyy, rocking the Converse, I see?”. I thought, what the hell is he talking about …. I googled… that was it, I’ve coveted ever since but not until I’m in the size 12 Levis!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Verano, so glad to have made you laugh, and thrilled to hear you are back on track. What with your pink clingy top hanging on your door, and my shocking pink pompoms being shaken as if my life depended upon it, how can you fail?😛

Kazz, how great that your JOTP have become your JOTF😋 Your post about them reminded me of a ridiculously expensive designer dress o/h bought me 45 years ago, to thank me for his first-born son (it cost him approx. 6 weeks’ wages!!!). Haven’t been able to get into it for YEARS and YEARS, but could never bear to throw it away. I can now get my wedding dress on, but this dress (scarlet) was even smaller, so would be a real test! Time to dig it out and try it on methinks😀

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Verano, I really like the “pink top (sexy?) plan” that you are putting
    in place! I used getting my rings back on my size 5 1/2 finger
    as the same sort of measure. It took forever, and I was only 7lbs
    from target when they finally slipped on. I was so pleased with
    myself that I took up polishing my nails again 🙂 I’m not sure that
    I agree with the conversation here about the need to up protein if
    we feel sapped of energy and a bit moody. I know that excess
    protein gets stored as fat, so I do keep an eye on that figure.
    What did come to mind though was SAD (seasonal affective disorder),
    particularly for those of us in northern hemispheres. It has reminded
    me to order some more vitamin D3 + K. I think SAD affects more
    people than is generally reported. It’s simple enough to get a blood
    test done for low levels of vit. D. It’s the right time of year for it!
    I don’t think I know how much more weight you’d like to get rid of,
    so share this if you are comfortable doing so, and all of us will
    be cheering you on to victory each day. I’m gearing up for some
    daring athletic moves as we speak!

• posted by Verano
    on

Ok Allie, I’d like to lose just 2 stone, 28lbs, initially. That would take me down to my lowest weight just after I was very ill 10 years ago. Then another 14lbs would get me to a weight I would ‘like ‘ to be. And maybe a further 14lbs after that so 48lbs altogether. My fear is that I’ll be ‘baggy’ if I lose another 4 stone, that’s why I’m talking in small chunks because I need to see what I’m looking like before I go further. However, even if I do lose all of that weight I could probably still lose more! Part of me feels that because I’m getting older I may look ‘ill’ or scrawny! Fortunately I don’t have any health issues, apart from my diabetes which is in remission, and my mobility, so we will just have to wait and see where the journey takes me!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thanks so much Verano for putting your thoughts and goals to
    paper: I completely understand your concerns about baggy skin
    and the “gaunt” look. It’s not just that we lose the ability to produce
    collagen, but that our skin actually gets thinner when we reach the
    age you and I are. I can actually see veins now that I swear
    I’ve never seen before. Sometimes it’s a little disconcerting 🙂
    My approach though is that no one needs to see what goes on
    under my clothing except my husband and my doctor! I saw a very
    interesting tv program on cognitive decline and Alzheimers disease.
    The National Institutes of Health (U.S.) has been following a large
    sample of folks in this category group for more than 15 years.
    In addition to a lot of information on markers on CT scan results,
    what caught my attention was the fact that those individuals who
    were about 20lbs. overweight had a much slower rate of decline
    than patients who were thin. I found that fascinating. So, perhaps
    aiming for an ideal weight similar to our early adulthood isn’t the
    best plan. I try to hedge my bets and eat 1 Tbs of raw unsweetened
    cacao nibs, just in case! 🙂
    I’m happy to hear that you are well onto refocusing. I think that
    it is only this thread that is responsible for mine, i.e., exercise,
    so thanks again for beginning it. Your one stone at a time idea
    makes excellent sense to me!

Have a great day,

Allie

on

Hi Alliecat / Verano
    That is really interesting on the Alzeihmers. I kind of dont really care what the scales say but I do like wearing nice clothes so I definitely diet for a dress or jeans and in fact thought about stopping recently when I had to discard some lovely clothes that were too big! but I got over it and bought more. I was working on body fat and have made significant headway but have got confused .

1. Im not sure what weight I should try and be so not as motivated to keep losing.
    2. I am getting all muddled on carbs and protein and fats. I cant get to 20g carbs and eat enough veg and I miss fruit.

but I do like this WOE .

Who had the definitive answer to the ideal weight and what to eat…answers on a postcard.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Verano,

I’ve just been reading this thread and thought it might be worth mentioning Jason Fung’s comment on fasting and how his diabetic patients who have lost many, many pounds through his fasting protocols very rarely have loose skin or need surgery afterwards. He ascribes it to autophagy and the cleansing out of the body’s old cells. He mentions it in his book (which I’m currently re-reading). I also heard him discuss it briefly on a couple of interviews.

I haven’t done any fasting yet (don’t want to do anything until after my Hba1c test which is coming up) so can’t comment on whether this particular facet of fasting works or not, but thought I’d mention it. It’s the reason I’m considering it.

Great idea about the pink top. I tried an old ring of mine on the other day and it almost fit. (It goes on but I’m still a bit worried it might get stuck – so not quite there yet). So, I’m going to follow your example and put it out where I can see it. I’m going to wear that ring on Christmas Day!
    Cheers
    Marie x

n.b. My husband has just come in so I told him about the ring. He was clearly touched – he bought it – I didn’t want to say I’d forgotten that bit – I just really like the ring!

• posted by Verano
    on

Allie very interesting ideas about Alzheimer’s and weight. Another good reason not to lose too much! To be honest I know somebody who had a gastric bypass and I was shocked at the result. The amount of loose skin was on the verge of grotesque. I just don’t fancy the idea of having to cover my body, literally from head to toe, in winter and summer! We spend quite a chunk of the year in warmer climates and I need to wear summer clothes without frightening everyone to death!

Marie that’s really interesting I wonder what the science behind it is? I think if you lose weight especially quickly after a life time of obesity then there is far more chance of tons of loose skin. I have never heard of that benefit of fasting before. I have sort of started fasting after a fashion. I don’t eat solids until lunchtime but I do have tea/coffee/water so not sure if that’s true fasting. I think you’re right to wait until after your HbA1c. Until my blood sugar was stabilised in the normal range without medication I was afraid to miss a meal.

Lessmuffintop it is confusing. I can’t really help with fat and protein I just eat them so long as they are in my calorie allowance. I agree with you about fruit I miss it too but you can have berries in moderation. Also there are some very low carb vegetables like spinach, broccoli and asparagus. There was one day last week when I had fewer than 20g of carbs but that was more by accident than design. I started the day with smoked salmon and eggs and I was stunned by how few carbs there were. I think most people aim for less than 50g and lots make their goal 30g so that would give you a little more room for fruit and vegetables.

So pink top is ironed and tried on… it fits ok but shows a few too many ‘rolls’. It will soon be hanging in pride of place on the outside of my wardrobe!

Allie I know without this website and the forums there is no way I would have come so far and be where I am today. So my thanks go to everyone who contributes and especially to those of you who help me day after day, week in week out, especially those with pom-poms and those who have been here as long as, if not longer, than me!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Certainly from my experience this WOE doesn’t leave you with masses of loose skin, even after my losses, although there is still a creased effect with loose skin on my thighs and a small fold on my stomach as well as the usual ‘bingo wings’ although even they seem to be reducing. My bikini body is a thing of the past but almost any other clothing option is still there if I want to. I am younger than you, I think at 51, but Captainlynne was older and reported a similar lack of issues when she reached this stage. I am hopeful that things will continue to improve as well, as they say it can for up to two years after weight loss. Certainly I never needed to consider surgery, and wouldn’t think they could find more than a couple of ounces to cut off!

I haven’t actually been true fasting today as I have started my own version of FMD and all I have had all day is lots of water, herbal tea, black coffee, a green banana, and a cup of marmite. Tomorrow I will do a proper plan to make sure I am getting the best nutrition I can despite the lower protein and carbs, and will have to be careful as it is a badminton day, but I am looking forward to seeing if the results are as dramatic as the last time I tried this.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Mixnmatch, that’s encouraging, your comment about 2 years in
    terms of skin recovery. I do wonder what your losses overall
    in terms of pounds lost are, however! thanks for the input 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.