3rd time lucky

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Bazil66
    on

Hiya- I’m a 52 year old bloke in early 50s & been type 2 for 10+years. I’m 5’7 & just over 16st & I’ve had 2 previous goes at BSD – longest I lasted was 11 days 2years ago & broke down over Easter Sunday & choc binged. Was very sick following day – I’m on the full quota of type 2 tablets – metformin, gliclazide & another one I’ve recently been given. Nurse said it may be jabs if no improvement. I had my last binge Monday gone for daughters birthday dominoes pizza alcohol & bday cake 😟. Tuesday morning started blood sugar was 21! Shocked me- anyway 4 days in I’ve lost 6lb & sugar was 7.5 this morning. Obviously I’m pleased but I’m continually thinking – get these 8 weeks out the way & Ill be able to enjoy myself again. But I know that’s not right – did anyone else have those feelings at the start & did they change into a lifestyle change at the end. Ps upset tum today – like when I started metformin years ago. Thanks in advance – Baz

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Baz – sorry that you have really struggled to hold on to the BSD previously, but let’s hope we can help get you to end goal and beyond, this time round. Firstly, put aside the binge on Monday, as well as all the stumbling blocks in the past. From here on in the focus is forward and yes, there will be days when things go wrong, but one day will not define your journey, every day is a new start.

Mind set is important, but as you progress your attitude to food – and your palate – will change, so that what you currently think of as treats you can use to enjoy yourself, will not hold the same attraction. And we will all be here to support and encourage you in making those adjustments. What you need to get your head around, is the truth in the Einstein quote: “Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” If you are to change your health and well being for the better, you have to find a way to make the principles of the BSD the cornerstone to your approach to eating forever. Personally have not had the health issues you have, but I so wish I had found the BSD approach at your age – would have saved me a lot of grief.

You have made a great start and given yourself something really positive to build on. As one of our number often says, “Keep on keeping on”. Keep us posted, tell us of all your little successes and shout when you are struggling, someone will be along to offer an appropriate response.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Welcome, Welcome Bazil66! You have found your way to a dedicated community of BSDers who
    are altogether happy to support you on your journey to long term health. Sunny’s advice is spot
    on. The longer that you embrace this WOL (way of life), the easier it is to maintain. Your tastes
    will change the longer you adhere to the principles, and the day will come when pizza, chocolate
    and cake are no longer a challenge to you. Your tastes will change, and feeling great will override
    any inclination to reward yourself with “treats”. Trust in our group of maintainers who are out and
    about each day, and always available to share advice and strategies that have been proven to
    work. You can conquer this Baz! Join any thread that appeals to you 🙂 I wish you much success,
    and I’ll be looking for your posts. I’ve been in maintenance for 11 months following a loss of 50%
    of my body weight. You can do this too, just trust the process, and a wonderful life will be out
    there for you to command also!

Allie

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Bazil stick with it this time as you really dont want to be on insulin injections. Besides the daily routine and having to be even more careful with your food you will end up like me with a belly full of lumps and bumps. Another thing with the insulin, you will gain a further 15kg within 6 months and the daily dose will make it even harder for you to lose any weight as insulin makes your body hold on to fat. Make a good start here and save yourself all that bother. Good luck.

• posted by Bazil66
    on

Hi all – all I can say is thank you for your words of encouragement. I think I’m going mad talking to myself at the moment – assume it’s the shock to the system sends you a bit doolally! Finding the different posts great motivation. Thanks again- Baz

• posted by SunnyB
    on

The forum is a great place to offload when the BSD seems to be crowding everything else out and driving you crazy; when the scales blip upwards unexpectedly, or the carb monster has mugged you, we’ll be here to whinge to and to offer a way forward.
    “Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask if you want to be a prisoner of the past or …… a pioneer of the future.” quote from Deepak Chopra

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

It is so important to post here and let us know how you are getting on, let us know of your wins and losses (weight) but also dont forget to post when things are not going so great. As SunnyB says there will be challenges along the way and no one here will judge if you struggle. That is the time we will pick you back up again and get you back on your way.

Please log in or register to post a reply.