2nd time's the charm

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Well, by mid afternoon yesterday I had sabotaged myself after being quite discouraged over something & hit a bag of salted peanuts with several cornflake crispy things – neither which satisfied me duh!! Anyhow got back on track by evening meal.

So, today:

Weight: 94.8kg ( amazed it remains same )

B/fast: 150g Greek Yoghurt ( Aldi ) + 100g stewed rhubarb with dash of Total Sweet ( xylitol )

Lunch: Sardine dip with veg

Evening meal:Griddled chicken on white bean mash

How’s everyone doing?

• posted by Ginnie
    on

Hi 1960smp and all
    Nearly finished my 4th week! I had one blip and eat a few chips! Nothing since! I try to weigh once a week only otherwise I get disponant if I don’t lose anything!
    Glad your back on track though, I made the oatmeal in the recipe it was awful!
    Bacteria to yogurt I fancy!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi all

Good to see a few more posts on here. I weigh daily in kilos as I find it mostly goes down a little every day, and gees me up if I have slid a bit the previous day. Weight loss steady slow, but going down. But I’m struggling to be disciplined enough to stick to just 800 I find it’s very often 1000 carbs are okay always below 50, but I just keep reminding myself it isn’t last summer, when the weight dropped of me. My life has changed dramatically, I have gone from last summer low/ mod activity to now very high as I am currently gunning up concrete floors, for about 4-5 hours a day, but not getting many steps.
    So I’m going to try and get more walking in, to speed things up, if I have the energy 😱.

But lesson learnt yesterday.
    I was able to be mindful of the fact that my eating is sometimes triggered by relief or the opposite. This is linked in with Dr m info that the reason we like chocolate is because it is 70/30 fat and sugar. Just the same as breast milk. 😱😱😱And my mother if anything happened we always got given a food treat. Hence my trigger. I have known this for donkeys years, but yesterday I was able to be mindful of this trigger going Of, talked to myself, yep I know mad woman, and didn’t react to it woo hoo.
    But don’t get excited, because it didn’t work later on in the day hehehe

Well 5 crackers and some Mexican houmous hmmmmmm . Well it b…….w……. made me stay the same today, so I’m on it with gritted teeth today. Need a loss tomorrow, or as its Saturday I will go in to munchie mode.

Bye for now from the woman with gritted teeth. πŸ˜–πŸ˜–πŸ˜–

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Ah green Janet at least you’re going forward lesson learned , it’s not easy at times

So the oatmeal wasn’t nice Ginnie ummm may pass too lol

The sardine dip was lush made nicer by eating mini peppers with it!!

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Restarting today – AGAIN!!!

Think I am fearing the carb monster if am honest!

I find breakfast is fine – usually eggs done in many ways. lunch is salad or soup, and evening meal can be meat and veg but then the craving starts…if I can get thru that by drinking water and being self willed I CAN DO THIS..

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Leave a few calories for the evening and when the craving hits have a couple of nuts, or a small spoon of peanut butter. This helped me get through the early stages on fast days.

• posted by Ginnie
    on

Hi everyone. Hope all going well? I seem to spend my time browsing recipes and drinking water!! I eat a chocolate fondant pudding yesterday with cream! Lovely So I have not been good but am back on track today! Haven’t tried the sanding dip yet 1960smp but I will do now, do you think you could make it with smoked mackerel? I feel I can’t keep yoyo dieting geenjanet so will try to stay on track mostly!! I think if my weight is;nt dropping then maybe I’m not with drinking enough water or not eating enough fat! Someone told me a useful tip yesterday, if you use several teabags of fruit tea with very little boring water you get a cordial to use in the water! Not tried it yet though cos I don’t have any fruit teabags! 4 weeks down so not bad for me!

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

Hi Ginnie and everyone…………

I make the sardine dip every week almost and always do it with smoked peppered mackerel and it is absolutely delicious. I cut up loads of peppers and celery and it’s just lovely.

Good idea re the fruit teabags – I just hate fruit teas but love cordial so may be well worth trying…………..

I’m working hard to get the weight down, I look at my diary from a year ago and was losing 3 lbs a week or 4 lbs without fail and that was when I was well into the diet – this time I’m struggling for every ounce almost! BUT I have discovered something about my weight loss this time………….

It REALLY matters to my body at what time I stop eating………….yesterday I had yoghurt and fruit for breakfast, lunch was a fabulous, orgasmic fillet steak cooked by my husband to perfection……..with runner beans and – wait for it – leeks chopped up and put in a pan with butter and let them go really brown/burnt/caramelised in bits and then when they’ve realy softened add some cream – I know it’s dreadful isn’t it – this was an Atkins recipe from the old days – really filling and I mean really filling – gorgeous meal though – ate it at 1.30 and truly wasn’t hungry the rest of the day – walk and water and lost 1 lb overnight.

I have 2 lbs to go and I will have lost my first stone this time around………..a great motivator

Tonight I have to go out for a curry – and that’ll be a late one and I know that no matter how ‘good’ I am, I will have put on weight tomorrow morning………………..anybody else have the same issue?

• posted by Puneet
    on

hi All, i started last year and lost about 14 kgs and my last Hb1AC was 6.9. I was so thrilled but in the last two months I cant keep up with it. I have already gained about 8 kgs back and am struggling to get back on track. Everyday, I start afresh and go well till about 4 pm and then everything goes down. I know once I start i will be able to keep up but finding it difficult to get going. Any suggestions? motivational tools?

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

Hi Puneet,

This won’t help one little bit but my very strong recommendation is do not let this slide which is exactly what I did……….8 kgs is reversible with the right mind set and determination…………..try to change your routine so you’re doing something at 4pm. My dog is sick which means I now feed him at a different time, I start cooking about 5.15pm, eat at 6pm and no later so by 6.30pm I then feed the dog and walk him straight away which means I don’t sit down to relax (temptation then hite) until about 7.45pm – my hunger then is replaced by the thought it’s not too long before bed I don’t have to eat anything else………….so far so good!

Good luck and well done for voicing the issue

• posted by Angelsand
    on

Just an update from me. For some reason I have really struggled to.commit properly. I do it for a few days then go off on a carb crazy nightmare..

I’m currently 11st 9lb and in February I was 10st…. Am totally traumatised by it and have started to not want to go out or do anything. I dont know what my issue is?? I know that if I just commit and do it I would be million times happier.

It’s exactly 8 weeks till I turn 40. I have to do this or I will be spending it on my own indoors!! Tomorrow is a new day. Xx

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Thanks MixnMatch for the tip!

Ginnie, it can be made with mackerel but the calor9ies will sore a mackerel is higher than sardines or tuna,, either way enjoy.

Tallyhoo you have done so well with only 2lbs to go, an inspiration indeed!!

Puneet and Angelsand, I know how you feel and wont pretend I have an easy answer but I know am motivated and right now am aiming to do this so you can too!!

Todays stats
    Weight: 94.6

• posted by Puneet
    on

hi Tallyhoo,

Thanks for the motivation. I don’t have a dog, have a cat though. She refuses to go for a walk.

Jokes apart, it is a struggle and and i am beginning to feel a bit defeated and believe me, that is just not me. and yes i am dong a bit of snacking on chocolates in my work place. today was a bit better. Hope to keep it so tomorrow. I do feel encouraged by reading all the posts. I weighed myself today and still there.

Keep at it Angelsand , I know it works .Been there. The best feeling ever.

• posted by melb100
    on

Hi all, been a while since I checked in here!

I’ve moved over to med style with varying calories, the whole 800 per day just wasn’t working and as I’m not diabetic I thought that med style would do just as well for me -the best diet is the one that you stick to and all that!

So I’m keeping carbs as low as I can while still having overnight soaked oats porridge for breakfast and pulses/lΓ©gumes at other meals (as a veggie I really couldn’t do without them). Last night I even had a salad with some new potatoes and asparagus and peas for tea. But bread, big piles of pasta, croissants etc are not on my list and can’t get in πŸ™‚

For the last few weeks my cals have been anywhere from 800 -1800 ( because of my height and activity levels 1800 still a good 500 under what I need to stay same weight), and I’ve lost 3 kilos which I’m pleased about as not at all feeling deprived.

I even went into shop on way home last night out of habit/sabotage to buy some chocolate for greedy secret eating and found I really didnt fancy it, walked out empty handed!!!

Those that are struggling to commit to 800 have you tried doing the gentler med style for a bit? The weight loss is lower but I’m actually sticking to it, unlike full on 800.

Xx

• posted by Madmare
    on

HI Angelsand
    I am having exactly the same issue. Be good for a few days and then when the weight starts to come off go and sabotage it by a carb fest!
    I do not understand what is going on in my own head.
    Dont I want to lose weight really, or am I afraid that I can’t so I have the perfect excuse for failing?

I am getting discouraged and sick of myself
    I do want to lose weight
    I do want to get off the blood pressure pils
    I need to get a grip!

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

Hi All

I dunno………..I read your posts and you talk about suddenly going nuts on carbs and then being glum when you put on weight or don’t lose it – fair enough but I seriously haven’t had a carb for the last 4 weeks and slowly, ever so slowly it is grudgingly coming off, lost 1lb when I weighed in on Tuesday morning and I knew I was going to have a bad evening last evening (Tuesday) so had no breakfast and just a bowl of soup for lunch (home made – no flipping carbs) and in the evening I had 1/2 a portion of chicken shashlick (ie tandoori chicken with some peppers and onions) at the curry house, 2 poppadoms – turned away the onion bhajee (which made me weep with longing) and a vegetable starter – this morning I had put on a whopping 2.4 lbs – with no flippin carbs – poppadoms made with chick pea flour so ok! I know why………..because I ate late and it just doesn’t suit me sadly

Today I’ve had no breakfast, spaghetti bolognese for lunch (of course with courgetti) and that’s it – I’m not having nothing no more till I weigh in tomorrow morning and we’ll see if my theory works!

Many expletives should be written here!

This could take me a week to lose………………….and we were given a box of chocs on Sunday which I told my husband he could eat provided he does it somewhere I cannot see, smell or hear it and he better hide that box well……………….!

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

I read your thread this morning over coffee, then drove a ways to work and ended up listening to a show about health care insurance and costs and pre-existing conditions (you probably know in the US we are currently discussing modifying/changing our national health law under ObamaCare — premiums have exploded for young people and we are trying to figure out how to control costs and still protect people with pre-existing conditions).
    It occurred to me, listening to people’s personal stories on the show, how much energy and effort is spent by persons who are not healthy, just in seeking care, waiting for care, receiving care, lost work, disability etc — not to mention the actual dollar cost of all that and the psychological toll.
    There is a huge personal COST to not staying as healthy as we can (obviously we don’t have perfect control over this and I am not commenting on the things outside of our control — our bodies are not machines and of course, illness happens to everyone at some time).
    I think that I will add that fact to my list of “why” on the days I want to eat the wrong foods — maybe it will help me stay motivated when I am weary of it or it just seems like too much (I’m currently maintaining).
    We are near retirement and I would love to spend my soon-to-be-lowered income on more fun things than medical care.
    It’s funny, this was such an epiphany for me!

• posted by Ginnie
    on

Hi all, especially Melb100, glad your back! I am being taken out for a Chinese meal on my birthday in 3 weeks time so I won’t be sticking to my diet that evening but I hope not to go too mad.
    You’ve got more stamina than me Tallyho, I couldn’t resist an onion Bhajee! I don’t go out for meals its too tempting.
    1960smp I too am still motivated to lose weight so long may it last!!
    Hi Puneet, Madmare and Anglesand, I tried to start a diet many time before I finally got going, like you I would start and by the evening I had blown it! Then a friend did this diet and explained how it worked etc and it motivated me to try again. I finally got my head in the right place to stick to it but it wasn’t easy. The first 2 weeks were the hardest before I got the hang of it with a lot of advice from a friend and having a great weight loss in the first week helps. Good luck to you all.

• posted by Athorn223
    on

Hey all! So glad this post is still going! I’ve been on holiday with my husband and extended family since Easter. This was not good at all for my diet. I just could not manage a mediterranean diet outside of my controlled environment. Definitely a lesson learned. I’m back up to 235. I’m holding on to a lot of water weight from the travel and fast food. arg!!!! I feel like I’m starting over but I can’t give up. Send me good vibes! I can’t quit this time.

• posted by Ginnie
    on

Hi California girl, Thank heavens I don’t pay for health care, I am a pensioner and live in France at the moment, but moving back to the UK soon, I won’t pay for health care there either. However losing weight will help me stay healthier and more motivated. I will feel I am doing my best to keep healthy. I was so sorry to read about the scraping of Obama care and the repealing of the gun laws! What next!
    I am sure you’ll get motivated to stick with the diet for 8 weeks and reap the benefits of great weight loss.

• posted by Ginnie
    on

athorn223. Hope you had a great holiday. I know going away is a disaster for the diet so I am hoping to be more careful as that was my undoing last time. You’ll soon get back on tract. How are you doing Greenjanet? Hope the renovations are going well? I tend to eat when I’m bored so that won’t be a problem for you. good luck

on

Hi Ginnie, here in US we never get health care free because even as a “pensioner” (on Social Security) we have to pay taxes and that’s what pays much of our health care. It is actually good that they are trying to improve ObamaCare because it is putting an unfair burden on our young people, who are paying huge premiums to buy (required) health insurance. The premiums keep going up and the insurance “exchanges” that were created by ObamaCare are failing — so it will be good to fix it and get young people’s costs under control.
    I actually reached goal last year on the BSD and am maintaining since last summer but it’s always good for me to have more reasons to keep on keeping on!
    Best wishes to you too!

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

Hi All…………….

AHA!!!! Tested out theory – to recap had put on 2.4 lbs overnight by having curry at 8pm on Tuesday night – no carbs and only a dry chicken shashlick etc – anyway not to bore on – I did double my walk yesterday so 4 miles and just had a big lunch of ‘spaghetti’ with bolognese and nothing else for the rest of the day except water and AND……………….drumroll please

I lost 3 lbs overnight – so I lost my 2.4 lbs and another bit ………….so pleased and my theory works – admittedly I was really hungry all evening but kept picturing the scales in the morning!…………I know that is not sustainable but it does mean I know what to try to do in the same circumstances

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Californiagirl,
    I so agree with you that this isn’t just about weight loss, it about our future health and wellbeing. We’re lucky in Australia that our healthcare is pretty good and although my husband and I wouldn’t be without health insurance, should we have to give it up, there is a pretty good back up system in place, not perfect, but not bad considering what you folk in the U.S. have.

Now that I’m maintaining, I’m terrified after everything that I’ve read of not just putting the weight back on, but that if I go back to eating sugar, grains and legumes (+ vegetable oils), I’ll get sick.

I found this great website that talks about the other benefits besides weight loss of the WOE and this is what gives me the motivation not to slide back to the way I used to eat.

https://healthfully.wordpress.com/2012/02/14/when-you-eliminate-insulin-stimulating-carbohydrates/

https://healthfully.wordpress.com/2013/05/05/at-the-heart-of-heart-disease/

Cheers
    Linda

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Morning peeps!!

So far, so good….am already on Day 3 and down 2.1kg!! ( 4.6 pounds gone!! ) so am encouraged indeed. Found it surprisingly ok to do and drinking 2 litres of Pellegrino water helps. I have loosely followed the recipes in original book as needed to use up food in fridge and so need to plan menu for next week or can see me derailing. It doesn’t help that I have several social engagements coming up this month either.

The other best news is my blood sugars have practically halved going down from the early teens to almost normal levels which reminds me I need to check in with the doctor as he may want to lower my meds….

Linda I have bookmarked that link as it looks like good reading, thanks

How is everyone doing? Hope you all have a good day what ever you have planned.

• posted by Angelsand
    on

Well I’m on day two and still feeling positive and much better mentally now I have properly started.

I think my issue is that I know it works so well that I delay starting it as I think I can just catch up in the end!

If anyone is successfully maintaining it would be really useful to see a snapshot of what you eat in a day? I want to get this right WHEN I get to my goal weight xx

on

Thanks for the links LindaA! I’m like you — I know I cannot ever go back to how I ate and I like information that helps me keep perspective. I’ll check those out!
    Julia

on

Hi LindaA — thought I would post again — I just read the link to the “heart of heart disease” and although I know most of that information, it is presented in a really visceral way that sharply reminded me of those facts. Thank you! I’m going to keep that handy for any day I feel like acting un-healthfully!
    It also reminded me of the dangers of oils like canola — which I had read years ago are bad for us — but I let some slip in because they are in SO many products. Honestly, there is nothing pre-prepared that we can eat! I have the smallest route at the grocery store these days — start at vegies, drop by olives/vinegars/oils, go to meats, then swing by the cheese/butter section, go home!

• posted by 1960smp
    on

I have had a funny kind of day actually – I suffer with other health issues and take medicine that cause my bgs to raise so am taking insulin to combat that ( never ending circle ) but at the hosp today was informed re on3 of the conditions that they have no idea what’s causing it and I came out so despondent I immediately wanted comfort food so bought some pink lady apples lol…which then led to a mini binge of crisps and oreo biscuits!!! So annoyed with myself ….anyhow back on track and hoping not too uch damage delivered!

Glad you feel better Angelsand…

• posted by Ginnie
    on

Hi all. Just checking in! Anglesand had a point about what happens when you’ve managed to loss all the weight!! I suppose its maintenance but I certainly don’t want to get fat again!! In to my 5th week and I have lost 14+ lbs! I think it’s only the weight loss that is keeping me going plus you guys of course! I do miss my bread though! I am having a blow out on my birthday in 3 weeks time as I will be 8 weeks by then, but I had a chocolate fondant pudding last week and I paid for it the next day with a headache so I hope that won’t happen again! I made the cauliflower cheese recipe yesterday from the book and it was awful! Next time I will boil the cauliflower first then add more cream to the recipe as the cauliflower was crunchy!!
    Hi California girl, I see Trump repealed the Obamacare, hope it works? Shopping in France is tricky, can’t get a lot of the specialist things so I have to order them from Amazon! Also translating the ingredients!! Hope your feeling healthier? Be good to yourself Tallyhoo and how the Mediterranean diet going Athorn223? Is it easier to follow? Maybe after 8 weeks I might switch to that one for a couple of weeks in between moving house back to the UK??

• posted by Madmare
    on

What a difference getting your head in gear makes!
    I have really struggled this time keeping to the diet. I have been cheating and snacking and then depressed why I dont lose weight.
    All came to a head Monday evening – I had a bad weekend, things could be better at home and I totally blew the diet, drank too much, ate lots of stupid stuff.
    I had a serious bout of soul searching and decided that if I am going to do this I am going to do it properly.
    I can take control and not let others upset me and not let that be a trigger to eat and drink booze

So weighed myself Tuesday morning and have lost two pounds already
    Oddly I have stopped feeling hungry all the time.
    Last night sat and watched OH eat 3 huge slices of toast and butter and marmalade and honey and not a flicker!
    A few days ago I would have eaten half of it.

I have also discovered tomato juice, its so tasty it completely kills my hankering for wine
    There is still a long way to go and I am not going to be complacent – I am visiting friends I have not seen for a long time at the weekend and it could all go wrong!
    Its a pity I could not get here sooner but tomorrow is another day!!
    Hope all is going well with you all
    Let you all know on Monday how it went!

• posted by JuliaB
    on

I, too, am starting again. Had a month or so when I stopped being vigilant and gained back my loss! This morning saw the diabetes nurse. All was going well until she solemnly told me that a standard 5fl oz glass of wine was the equivalent of drinking a glassful of sugar, and would raise my blood sugar enormously. Since a glass of wine contains only 2g carbs and, according to most reports can even lower blood sugar because the liver is too busy dealing with it to produce glucose, I queried this saying I thought most of the sugar had turned to alcohol. No, she said, wine is exceptionally high in sugar. I dropped the subject. Whether she actually believes the “factually inaccurate” things she was saying, or if she just thinks I should not be drinking and am so stupid I will believe everything she says is debatable. Either way I don’t feel she has much to offer me. To add insult to injury she handed me a sheet of paper with recommendations for healthy living, and although I don’t smoke, having given up years ago (which I had just told her), this on the ball individual had recommended that I give up smoking. Obviously paying close attention.

But on the plus side, the shock about regaining my weight inspired me to restart the BSD, so went shopping, bought prawns and crab, plus some sheep’s yoghurt and salad veg and am all set to do the 800 calorie thing again.

Does anyone have any thoughts about wine and blood sugar?

• posted by Angelsand
    on

Well an update from me. Started properly last Wednesday and been really focused. So a week and two days so far.

Was 11 9 last wed and today I’m 11 2.5 and it sounds daft but I feel really disappointed! !

I think because it came off so fast the first time and I’ve only lost 2.5lbs since last Sunday.

Tomorrow we have friends coming round for drinks and takeaway and feel do miserable abt it. I only have to look at something and I gain half a stone. Not sure what to do, I can’t really not join in and sit with a glass of water! My friends won’t allow that…..

Any advice appreciated x

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hi Angelsand – I have no idea why you are disappointed in losing 6.5lbs in just over a week. Sounds like an excellent loss to me, so well done. 2.5lbs since Sunday is fantastic – I’m on week 17 and I have had 2 periods of a couple of weeks when I lost nothing at all, but I didn’t let it derail me (though heaven knows, I felt like it) but the weight eventually came off and I am now in maintenance. Just keep up the good work and the results will come.

As far as “drinks with friends” is concerned, I don’t want to sound harsh but this is your health and well being we are talking about and, frankly, it’s not up to your “friends” to either allow or disallow your decisions. Just drink sparkling water with ice and lemon, and tell them that you are taking control of your health – if they care about you they should be supportive and encouraging.

Most people actually don’t care what anyone else is eating or drinking, as long as they can do their own thing.

Good luck – I do know it is easy in theory but not quite so easy in practise.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Angelsand, I’ve been reading your posts since you first joined and I haven’t said anything because these issues are sensitive and I don’t want to be the fool that rushes in where angel(sands?) fear to tread, but it’s time to lay it out. I am concerned that you may be clinically depressed. Everything you do, whether it’s a gain, a plateau, a loss, going off the rails with carbs, sticking to the BSD, staying home too much or socializing drives you to despair and self-loathing. There doesn’t seem to be a single thing you can accomplish that makes you feel good about yourself.

I’ve been doing the BSD since August, and I’ve lost more than 6.5 pounds in a week exactly 5 times. What you’ve achieved this week is wonderful, a great thing that you should be enjoying to the hilt, all the more so because it’s not likely to happen very often. But there is something in your head telling you it’s not good enough. Nothing is ever good enough. You are never good enough.

Well I’m here to tell those voices to suck it. You did fantastic this week. Despite your long and tortured relationship with food, despite all the starts and stops, you succeeded at losing a great deal of weight. Revel in it. Wallow in it. Pat yourself on the back and shut your brain up for a second. It is lying to you.

As for your friends, make yourself a nice ice tea or sparkling water with a twist of lemon. You are not a slave to their standards. Only you get to decide what goes in your body. This isn’t high school and you are a grown woman. They can’t peer pressure you into self-destructive behaviors. If they don’t support you, then they can suck it too.

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

Hi Esnecca and Angelsand,

Well that was a tough response Esnecca but I have to say I agree with you……….the great thing about girlfriends is we all adore them but BUT………….I know, because I’m ashamed to say I have done it myself. When I am in the mood to say ‘stuff it’ and get the double bacon double cheeseburger double chips with chocolate milkshake AND the extra onion rings with extra thingies on the side and I feel really guilty because I know for sure I should not be doing this and I will bitterly regret it the moment I leave the table although eating it is just fantastic at that exact moment, what I want least of all is a girlfriend being ‘good’ and having the salad with dressing on the side and a fizzy water which is exactly what I want to be doing but for some reason can’t at that moment and so my need is to make that person feel as guilty and awful as I do…………what I really want to do is say oh fine, I’ll just have the salad too …………..it’s envy, jealousy that that person can stick to it and I can’t……………….or is that just me????? Mind you I don’t do that now………..

One of my bestest friends has decided to give up alcohol completely as she thought she might become an alcoholic, none of us ever thought she had a problem but supported her because she did………..a year later and no alcohol has passed her lips and we never try to encourage her or sabotage her ever – I am ashamed to admit to my behviour in the past but now I can see what a bitchy, distructive, mean spirited thing that is………..now I eat with my girlfriends when I go out and I may just have a starter as a main and a coffee after – I do have wine though – and they never try to push chips on me etc………….

Sorry but that was a bit of a self analysing indulgence!!

Also……………. 6.5 lbs in a week is truly amazing and Esnecca is right you have surely to see how brilliant that is…………….I’m lucky if I lose 3 lbs in a week and that’s really working hard………….just relish that loss as Esnecca says and remember that when you do only lose 2 lbs the next week say, that’s an average of over 4 lbs a week ie over a stone in a month if you can keep that up – hard I know but that would be awesome and I feel when you lost 1 stone, that’s when other people start to notice a difference which is the best bit – KEEP GOING!!!

• posted by Angelsand
    on

Thank you for your responses, I really really appreciate your support and honesty.

I think you are right in short. I’ve had a torturous relationship wih food since I was 14 and i turn 40 next month. I’m worn out and sad that every minute of my day is filled by me criticising myself constantly.

I’m on track to be where I should be by my birthday but then I know I will probably go off the rails again. I know myself too well now…

I probaby know that this plan is not aimed for someone like me that binges then starves but honestly I have never known how to deal with this or who to turn to. I fear I wil spend forever in this cycle and not appreciate the great life, husband, children, friends and family I have. Not sure where I should be in terms of forums, feel like I can’t get this right.

Sorry to be glum!! In person I am the most happiest person u cud meet on the outside. I think my husband has an idea but he really thinks I am crazy to tell the truth. To him it is simple. Eat to live. End of. Maybe I could get a new brain????

Thanks again xx xx

• posted by Esnecca
    on

It doesn’t have to be this way, Angelsand. The diet isn’t the problem and neither is the forum. There is nothing inherent in you that dooms you to perpetual self-hatred and depression. There are so many different kinds of treatment available. Have you looked into professional help at all? Perhaps a specialist in disordered eating? Maharani kitten had a session with a hypnotherapist who specializes in food issues when she went to a health spa recently and she found it very helpful.

See these posts for more details:
    https://thebloodsugardiet.com/forums/topic/beat-the-demon-hot-cross-bun-easter-egg-challenge-4weeks-ending-18th-april/#post-59925
    https://thebloodsugardiet.com/forums/topic/beat-the-demon-hot-cross-bun-easter-egg-challenge-4weeks-ending-18th-april/page/2/#post-59971

I know from personal experience how insidious depression is, how it taints everything you touch, how worthless it makes you feel, how it feels like a prison you can never break out of. And when it comes to disordered eating, I didn’t gain 200+ pounds over 20 years by making judicious choices, I assure you. You can’t get a brain transplant (yet), but you can alter the chemical imbalances of the one you have.

Where are you? There is a forum full of people here on your side who would be more than glad to crowdsource you some help. You can beat this. You are not alone.

• posted by crabbycams
    on

Thanks Esnecca for your openness about depression and weight gain. It’s really helped me get some things into perspective. I’ve just realised that it took me about 25 years, 3 redundancies, a badly misjudged marriage, widowhood and a few psychopathic managers to get me up to the 100kg. Add to that aging where everything starts to droop and go south and my head has not been in a good place for a long time.

I don’t really have a weight goal although I know I am losing as clothes now fit that haven’t for years. That’s a combination of changing shape due to age and the diet.

When I was 30 I was 62kg. That is the lightest I have been as an adult and was a small Australian size 12. I just cannot imagine it now.

When I started this, the dexa whole body composition machine weighed me at just over 95kg and my fat content while more than normal was not in the obese range. But if you look at BMI I’m morbidly obese.

In 6 weeks I’ll redo the scan and see what has changed.

This week I’m trying out a ballroom dance class, which I hope will work out. A bit of exercise and socialising will be good for me AND I’ll be home in time to watch MasterChef!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I think a lot of us have been through one wringer or another, crabbycams, be it depression, illness, upheaval in our personal lives, fighting off demons that have infested us since childhood, you name it. Bad diet is both a consequence and a cause, making everything worse and keeping the vicious cycle spinning.

The flipside of that is that starting the BSD and making a clean break from the carbs that I used to gorge on and losing lots of weight quickly helped radically improve my state of mind too. The depression->bad diet->ill health vicious cycle changed into a good diet->healthy body->healthy mind cycle instead. Before I started gaining weight in my 20s, I was stable at 120 pounds for years, and while I’m still 55 pounds from that figure and 20+ years older, I feel better now than I did then.

Being active and doing things I’ve long wanted to do but used to be too depressed, listless and uncomfortably fat to bother with is one of the great rewards of that. I love that you’re taking a ballroom dancing class. Not only is it just plain cool to learn all those dances, it’s such a joyous activity. Have a great time! I’m going to an amusement park next weekend for the first time since I was a kid and I’m riding every rollercoaster in the place at least twice. πŸ˜€

• posted by Ginnie
    on

Hi All, I’m back! Had to go to the UK to find somewhere to move into!! Anyway not much success but I’ve been reading your post. Managed to stay on the diet roughly, could’nt be too fussy cos I was staying with my daughter, but still lost. 1lb!! Julia18togo I have made the same decision that There is no turning back, i will need to not eat like I have before!
    Good luck to you all,

• posted by Jax61
    on

Hi All, I have been reading this thread with interest as I restarted the BSD for the 2nd time on Monday. Am mortified though that you have all disappeared….no posts since the 14th….I want to know how you are all doing??
    I am 172lbs and would like to lose 2stone. I don’t fit into any summer clothes anymore and this has spurred me on to lose the weight. I was also interested in the posts some time back about the diet helping sinus problems. I get headaches nearly every night and I’m sure it’s something to do with my sinuses and blocked nose. I have also started to snore. Fingers crossed that this diet helps.

• posted by Eileen27
    on

Hi Jax61. I used to follow this thread but am now following North South – no carbs in my mouth! Perhaps your other posters are there too. I was one who noticed reduction in sinus problems/hay fever/ persistent rhinusitis. Have taken very few anti histamines recently and stopped the nasal spray. Perhaps not eating bad carbs has unintended consequences! I’d like to know if there is a medical reason for this but can’t get any answers. Good to see you are back on track. X

• posted by Ginnie
    on

Hi All
    Back at last after no internet, then it was intermittent! That’s rural France for you!
    Still on track and losing although much slower rate! Moving back to the UK end of June so busy packing! It’s a bit stressful to say the least! Glad everyone on course though. Cheers

• posted by Ginnie
    on

Hi Jax61
    I used to get migraines from blocked sinuses, I then discovered Rhinadvil in France and it was brilliant however since doing this diet I have’nt needed to take them! I stopped snoring with the pills and haven’t snored Since then.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Morning
    I’m on the north south thread as well now, I started a week before you Jax61 although I lost three stone on this last year and put two thirds of it back on over the winter. Pure laziness, I was like you couldn’t get into any summer clothes, but weight dropping of, and I got into my fav dress yesterday, a bit sausagy looking, but bearable lol
    So come over to the other side luvvy, and we can all get it gone together.πŸ™‹πŸ˜ŠπŸ™‹

• posted by Ginnie
    on

Hi green janet
    I wondered where you’d gone!! I might just do that? How are you like me still plodding on!! I am not weighing much but am keeping off carbs probably forever!! 11.6 now, would like to get to 10st then see!!!
    Well done you anyhow. How’s the renovations going. We move on the 23th June so might be off air for a bit around that time!!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Ginnie
    Are you still moving to wales? That was quick getting somewhere. Yep renovations going well definitely building muscle Lol
    But slows down weight loss I’ve found, but doing okay and you are as well,’feels great doesn’t it to get back to it
    Hope you have a great week
    πŸ™‹πŸ˜€πŸ™‹

• posted by Ginnie
    on

Might move to Cornwall now!! will know more next week. Moving back is a nightmare!! Going to Gunnislake initially, Nr Plymouth first though as it will take awhile to get finances etc sorted, although I could do with the euro dropping like a stone by the end of June!! Glad your getting toned up though that will look good in the Summer.

Please log in or register to post a reply.