“BEAT the DEMON HOT CROSS BUN & EASTER EGG CHALLENGE” 4weeks ending 18th April

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Marsie
    on

What it says! Challenge one another to beat those demon tempters: the hot cross buns and Easter eggs. The very ones we’ve been studiously ignoring since the shops put away their Christmas decos and immediately replaced them with Easter. ….they were out there before New Year! !

Everyone welcome. Let’s meet here after our final weigh-in of the CHANGING SEASONS challenge tomorrow/Tuesday 21st.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Love the title – will be joining you tomorrow as I will need to avoid the demon little Lindt milk chocolate Easter bunnies also that are absolutely everywhere at the moment.

• posted by Verano
    on

Can’t resist a challenge even though I said I wouldn’t join this one!!!

Not a lover of buns especially hot cross ones just give me dairy milk eggs! I won’t be here over the next few weeks so not really likely to find those eggs which may just make the challenge a little easier. Although there will be all sorts of other temptations especially wine. I am doing really well not even having a glass over the weekend when we were out twice in ‘drinking” situations. Just as happy to have sparkly water at the moment.

I would love to lose some weight over the next four weeks but being realistic ‘standing still’ will be an achievement. So my goal is to stay at the same weight as I am next weekend when we go away.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I will be in on this challenge even though I hate hot cross buns (candid peel yuk) and I dont like chocolate. We will be in Alicante the week before Easter and will be travelling back on Easter Sunday when it is our wedding anniversary. Wont even get to celebrate as, I said, we will be travelling. Might have a nice meal on our overnight in a hotel in Spain.

They havent started to put Easter eggs in the shops here in France, very civilised. But I will probably be taking some to Spain with us so my little boys dont miss out. Coals to Newcastle so to speak as my daughter works for Cadbury’s.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Very civilised, sunshine-girl. We’re coming up to our 50th anniversary in May, don’t know what we’re doing yet, but back in year 2000 we spent 6wks driving around UK & Ireland, our first long trip after both retired. Arrived Heathrow early morning May17. Caught tube from there into the city, large bags getting in the way of all the commuters. In between stations the train came to a holt. After quite some time, and much muttering amongst the travelling public, there came an announcement re a 30 minute delay. In the following quiet OH turned to me and said “oh, by the way, happy anniversary!” I’d forgotten it, but it brought the house down, laughter and claps all around🤗

• posted by LippyLipid
    on

Happy Golden Wedding Anniversary Marsie and Mr Marsie for May – that is certainly worth celebrating in style, just avoid London Underground this year!

Count me in for the challenge, although I have to confess buying five chocolate eggs for the kids and grandchildren, not setting a good example? I don’t buy them chocolates very often, really just high days and holidays but it has made me think how much food is part of our celebrations.

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning

I wasn’t going to set a goal for this challenge but I’ve just set a mini goal so might as well declare it here. I would love to lose 3lbs by Easter big ask as I’m on holiday from Sunday but will give it a shot.

Good luck everyone hope you achieve your new goals.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I’m in, simple goal is just to stay in control for all four weeks and carry on increasing my calories gradually after my panic reboot at the end of the last challenge. At the end of the 4 weeks I intend doing another Boditrax scan to see what changes there have been in the four months since my last one.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

My goal for this challenge is to lose 2lb which will take me to exactly 9st 3.75lbs which will take me to exactly 3 stones lost on the BSD. BMI will be 20.8.

It will give me some wriggle room which will be good. Am at last feeling confident that I can maintain below 9st 7.75lbs forever and have completely stopped all the yo yo dieting that I have done for the last 50 years. Will soon be 5 months on maintenance.

on

Ok I lost 2lbs on the last challenge so am starting this one at 72.4kg, want to get down to 71.2 in the next 2.5 weeks, before I go away. My first challenge is hubbys birthday on Thursday and I have book a table for lunch out. Okay, it is not my birthday so I dont have to have the dessert but a glass of champagne to toast his 72nd year. Good heavens, I’m married to an old man…..

• posted by Theodora
    on

Wasn’t sure whether to join this challenge or not as:-
    1. Am about to leave on a 3 day gourmet break (o/h’s rather inappropriate treat to me for doing so well on BSD)
    2. I will be away for 2 weeks over Easter, with no access to scales (either kitchen or bathroom) so won’t be able to report back at the end of the challenge.

But then again, these little challenges do keep us motivated, so I think I will do a personal 3 week challenge and report back before going away for Easter, if that is OK?

So my challenge is firstly, to be sensible over the next 3 days and not put on too many pounds (I am going to allow myself alcohol but try to keep my food carbs low) and secondly to get below the next stone mark, which will mean a loss of 5lbs, so I am probably setting myself up to fail, as I suspect I won’t manage that in 3 weeks, 3 days of which is on a foodie break! But hey, you gotta have a dream………………………….

Good luck challengers. 🙂

• posted by topcac
    on

Hi all – from the back of beyond which is basically where I’ve been the last fortnight. I’ve tried to catch up with as many post as possible but work has been manic and I haven’t even peeped at the forum since the 7th March!!

So, apologies for going AWOL – I am all set to join this new challenge – dates include a week away on business in the States, and of course, Easter. As a compete chocaholic I find this time of year extremely difficult and have told everyone that I don’t want an Easter Egg but that doesn’t stop me going out and buying my own stuff!!

However, 12 weeks until my wedding and I have my outfit, which fits like a glove, so basically, one false move and I’m buying a new suit! Have managed to stay within 3lbs of my target weight (thankfully on the lower side of that), although slightly heavier than when I started this challenge but I’m maintaining within that 3lbs so I’ll take that.

My challenge for this period is to obviously maintain my weight within 3lbs of my target weight of 9st. In addition I have started running like a demon and really want to do a sub 30 minute 5k run – currently sitting at 33 minutes – so something to aim for! You wouldn’t believe how much difference that 3 minutes makes!! I also need to stop bingeing! It’s become a bit of a habit and it really needs to stop. I keep finding excuses for myself and, with my weight stable, I keep telling myself it’s alright – but it’s not. Last Monday I went through the most horrific volume of crap – felt awful – went back on plan for 3 days then ended up doing something similar on Friday!! i would say that it’s boredom but I haven’t had time to get bored at work and that’s when it happens – maybe it’s stress? Anyway – enough babbling on – onwards and downwards!!
    TC x

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi All. goal this challenge is to loose 1Kg a week. to not celebrate any loss with bad food.to use more recipes from the book.
    feeling a bit more determined today .I hope you will all join in. I have blanked easter out of my mind and I banned all chocolate from the kitchen area.No one is allowed to put temptation near me..cheers all

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hey, Theodora, you’re welcome here any time. Have a great time while you’re away:)

Mmm, topcac/fellow binge artist, you and I just have to stop this. Yesterday and today, several other days over this month. Sabotaging own health. As, I think, Verano wrote “what makes us do it?” I don’t think it is fear of failure for me, in fact just the opposite, I think it is fear of success (???how will I cope? what will do then?? ) Is that it? Feels a bit like it, not precisely but perhaps near enough.

Right, enough pop psychology. I’ve decided….. I’m not setting any other goal for this challenge except :-
    ONE DAY AT A TIME…NO BINGEING!

• posted by Busybee
    on

Hello to you all and I’m glad to be back!
    Marsie, please may I steal your goal of “one day at a time and no bingeing”?
    I intend to be kinder to myself so have decided to only weigh each Tuesday and Friday and will try to log in here just once a day as I was spending far too much time lurking around the forums feeling sorry for myself.
    X B

• posted by Theodora
    on

Thank you Marsie.

Marsie and Busybee – I applaud your common goal of one day at a time, but may I suggest you add in the challenge that you log into this thread every single day, so that we can all encourage you in your “one day at a time”? It may help if you log in every time you feel tempted, and we will try to keep you on the straight and narrow 😉

I won’t say I find it easy but, in all areas of my life, I do tend to be an “all or nothing” kind of person, so if I am on diet, I am on a strict one and focus wholeheartedly and don’t tend to even “see” temptation, although the house is full of it as still catering for very thin greedy husband who eats anything and everything non-stop, and sits down for a “sundowner” or two every evening!! If I know I have a social occasion, I factor it in and reduce carbs / calories for a day or two beforehand, so no damage is done overall. In fact we have arrived at our hotel, where a huge afternoon tea (scones / jam / clotted cream, cakes etc) was awaiting us, but I declined and just had a pot of tea 🙂 Saving my carbs for dinner / wine!! 🙂 Breakfast will be relatively easy as I can have yoghurt and fruit, eggs/bacon, or scrambled eggs/smoked salmon or similar.

Sorry, I don’t mean to sound “holier than thou” but I know me and my weaknesses, and MY big challenge is going to be maintenance, when I cannot have the all or nothing mentality – I dread to think what will happen then, and I know I will struggle!!! But I have to get there first……………………..

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I can’t resist clotted cream, but when I had some left and was doing 800 days I used to make some strawberry chia ‘jam’ and put it on an oatcake with the cream to get my BSD cream tea. I feared maintenance too, still do a little after last week’s panic stations, but I am now reassured that from my trigger weight I was only four days of low carbing away from turning the water retention round again. I think as long as I keep weighing myself then the occasional extra fast day should be enough to keep me in check. To be honest after just one 800 day last Friday I felt so much healthier already that in future I will do one a week just to keep that feeling.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Hello everyone- I am in for the next four week challenge and I really hope to lose at least 4lb to take me from the 11’s to the 10’s. . I am going to see my son at Easter who lives in London and I think I can resist the chocolate and hot cross buns. I think my main challenge at the moment is not becoming disheartened as I don’t seem to be losing much weight despite being really mindful of the diet and sticking to the calories and carbs. I am now in my second round on week two and will need to do at least three rounds. My BMI is currently 29.7 so I have a fair few pound to lose. Hope I see some downwards movement on the scales this next four weeks.

• posted by Doodledootoo
    on

I’m in again for this challenge. My commitment to myself and to this challenge is again 4 lbs. I’m still not counting calories or carbs and have been on the med plan since end of November. If I refocus I think I’ll see some downward movement. So it will be amazing if at the end of the 4 weeks I am 10st 8lbs. I also commit to making some recipes from the books to change things up a little bit. Thanks to all who post with inspiring stories of successes and challenges.

• posted by Cara54
    on

Hi. My goal for this challenge is to lose 7lbs or more. I will be happy with 4 lbs though. Just started a 24 hour fast 55 minutes ago!! I hope I can keep it up till 7pm tomorrow. It would get me off to a good start.

Looking forward to loads of positive results from everyone.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hi Busybee, not stealing. ..sharing. Will welcome your company.
    Thanks Theodora, your thoughts appreciated.

• posted by Maharani kitten
    on

Back in, and for me it’s all about mindset, attitude, and exercise. Am drawing a line under the first quarter of 2017 and the year starts here for me. One day at a time, definitely no ‘sorry for self’ bingeing, and with a very positive mental attitude. Counting blessings, celebrating successes so far and successes to come.

Also, having one spa day a month. Because I liked it, I’m worth it, and the money saved on buying rubbish – sugar, desperation clothes purchases, ‘treats’ – will pay for it.

My commitment this challenge is to a 55 mile Easter charity bike ride from Edinburgh to the Borders (hilly!) – training for it, doing it, raising £500. MKx

• posted by SueBlue
    on

I’m in for this challenge. Normally I LOVE hot cross buns and buy them for months beforehand but I’ve had no cravings at all this year, even though they’ve been in the shops since the day after Boxing Day!
    Chocolate is also easy for me to avoid as I don’t have a sweet tooth – mines more a wine, cheese & olive tooth!
    I will be having a few days off during this challenge as going away for a short break at the end of next week, I also have a 1 day work conference next week, we could put in dietary preferences so I asked for gluten free. I don’t know that it will be low carb but at least I’ll be able to avoid wheat, which seems to trigger inflammation and joint pain for me. I should be able to do 5:2 though (5 days of 800 and 2 days not counting calories but sticking to low carb foods).
    My challenges will be to 1) walk 75,000 steps each week 2) lose 2.6kg (6lb) over the 4 weeks. This will take me down into the next “stone” bracket (so confusing sometimes working with both kilos and stones/pounds). When I started BSD I was over 16 stone, so a 6lb loss will take me down into the 14’s.
    It’s funny how things change, I found an old diet diary today, from about 20 years ago, and at that time I was 76kg when I started. Now of course I’d love to be at that start weight!
    Good luck to everyone else and look forward to reading your successes 🙂

• posted by Busybee
    on

Thank you Marseille, I’m on it!
    X

on

Another good day and lost a little, BG still around 4.5 so good. Had a swim this morning then went for my hair doing, takes ages. My lady took several photos which she sent via Facebook and I am not happy with the wrinkles. I also noticed that, although I have lost 25 lbs, my boobies are still rather matronly, so glad I saw it as I was getting complacent with this weight. Still have to face a meal out with hubby tomorrow for his birthday. Will do my best, that’s all I can do.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Maharani Kitten – I loved reading your really positive post- it has inspired me to think positively about myself and my journey too so thank you for that. I am very impressed with your forthcoming bike ride challenge! I am looking forward to seeing how well we all do during the next four weeks. I am beginning to feel positive once again following a bad couple of weeks health wise and I hope my scales will be positive this week and show some kindness to me for my hard work.

• posted by queenmilo
    on

Hope I’m ok to join a day late? 😀

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi All, I had a bad day yesterday. I went to an orientation day for a new casual job and I sat through the usual company goals etc. the plan was to eat a decent breakfast and then nibble some almonds ,eat the filling only from the sandwiches.and have a good dinner. so breaky was egg,spinach and tomato, coffee with a splash of milk,then morning snack refused biscuits, had almonds. Lunch I was starving and very sluggish from sitting most of the morning, I ate a round of sandwiches ham ,cheese ,tomato including the bread,and a couple of strawberries, I drank at least 5 glasses of water and two coffee. I should have been ok .But at 4.30 on the way home I felt really weak,headache and sluggish. This has happens quite a bit lately so I stopped for green tea and ate a pastry. then I had zuchini and a chicken kiev for dinner, blueberries and yogurt 100 gm portion. this morning weight is up buy 1.2 kg.I was expecting an increase but I’m shocked by the amount. Usually when I feel bad in the afternoons my BGL is below 5 and its a mild hypo.I really need some ideas how to eat a decent lunch to keep my BGL stable but not too many carbs. Im still grazing a lot in the afternoons which spoils my progress I tried missing breakfast then early lunch ,4pm snack,dinner and later snack . each at 200 cals but I feel always tired and hungry and Im not loosing weight consistently.I need some new ideas,all suggestions welcome. Cheers

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I think you should focus on fiber and fat to fill you up without blood sugar spikes. Here’s my favorite lunch lately. It’s portable, filling and takes about 3 seconds to put together.

1/2 tablesooon of extra-virgin olive oil
    1/4 tablespoon of white wine vinegar
    1/2 oz (14 grams) crumbled blue cheese
    salt and pepper to taste
    70 grams avocado (about 1/2 of a large one)
    3 oz mixed field greens (or any salad greens you like)
    3 oz roasted turkey or chicken breast (I get thick slices at the deli, but rotisserie chicken or your own leftovers would work great), cut into bite-sized pieces

In a medium mixing bowl, add the olive oil, vinegar, half the blue cheese (7 grams), salt and pepper to taste. Whisk loosely with a fork, mashing up the blue cheese while you do it. Once it’s well mixed and emulsified, add the greens, avocado and turkey. Toss it all up with the fork you used to mash the dressing. Top with the remaining blue cheese. Eat.

It’s 330 calories, 3 grams net carbs (none from sugar), 6 grams fiber, 22 grams fat, 23 grams protein. Sometimes I add olives, a cherry tomato or two, or if I’m making it my main meal of the day, a chopped up hard boiled egg. If you’re not a blue cheese fan, you could replace it with feta or even Swiss. They’d just be toppings, though, not part of the dressing.

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning

Just been catching up on this thread and I always find it so encouraging to have ‘maintainers’ on board. It just keeps reminding me that it can be done and that once you ‘arrive’ it’s possible to stay on an even keel.

Marsie I think you could be right about the fear of ‘success’. I wonder it that’s the reason we sabotage ourselves. I’m sure it is for me sometimes. I’m quite ‘shy’ well maybe ‘reserved’ and I’m not fond of people commenting about the way I look, prefer to stay in the background. I’ve had quite a few comments of late about how thin my face is … is that a compliment … or am I looking haggard????

Good to see you back MK and glad you enjoyed the spa. You sound really positive which is great. I think we have both been ‘here’ for quite a while and I ‘drew a line’ under my journey last week and started afresh. Even though I had a carb fest yesterday I’m feeling much brighter and more positive. I think sometimes you start to get ‘stale’ when you have followed the plan for a long period so it’s good to shake things up a bit now and again. I’m with you we should all celebrate success. Maybe today would be a good day to just take 5 minutes to look back on our journeys and rejoice in our progress so far. No more dwelling on the negative and as S-g says it’s so easy to become complacent.

Yesterday is over and done with, today is another day, a new day and a new start!

• posted by Marsie
    on

Welcome queenmilo, of course its ok. Some very good conversations on this stream.

Butterlover, not so much advice as an observation. Have been wondering about my own protein intake, is it enough, so searched back for s/thing I remembered LindaA posting, to do with portions of fats, proteins within our 800 cals. I don’t want to copy LindaA’s words but found a post of hers on 6 Mar 17 that might be of interest. I now see that I’m way under in proteins which I’m going to remedy if i can. Thanks LindaA.

Maharani kitten, glad you’re back in, love reading your posts always. Hope your eye is ok.

I don’t know if we have any Londoners amongst us, but in any case, to all of our friends in GB, thinking good thoughts for you after another bloody and bloody-minded ‘incident’. Unbelievable. xxx Marilyn

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Marsie
    You’re very welcome!
    Feel free to copy and paste if you think it will help, The more help we can give, the more people will be successful!
    Cheers
    Linda

on

Hi Verano – yep, I guess over five months means I have been ‘around for a while’! For me, it’s not so much about this WOE at the moment as about life generally – own health has been a bit scuzzy since Xmas, nothing really serious, just annoying stuff, others’ health – both my caring responsibilities have needed more help and that doesn’t look like it’ll be improving soon, end of year shenanigans at work make it a tough month.

However, I learned long ago that it doesn’t matter what happens, you can’t change others and you often can’t do much about what life flings at you – what matters is how you respond, and I forgot that for a while. Am making a determined effort to respond positively and it does make a big difference.

Hey, you know the other thing I forgot? I always dread the thought of the faff of getting my sh*t together to drive to the pool, but I love love love to swim. The silence under water, the lovely effort of gliding through the water. I’ve been twice and I get out thinking ‘why did I ever stop doing this?’ So concentrate on THAT thought, dingbat kitten! Ditto cycling. Out with the girls last week on first training run. 30 miles and I loved everything about it, even the rain. And my new scooter! Enjoying getting to know her – Suzy ! MK

• posted by Busybee
    on

Checking in as promised – just keeping on keeping on one day at a time.
    X B

on

Weight down again this morning, just 0.1 kg each day but all good. BG not so good as it was 6.5 this morning. For absolutely no reason, not eaten anything but it will be a glitch since I reduced the insulin by one point, not a lot but the body can react.

Hubbys birthday so we were out for lunch, I had foie gras moulded into a dome and placed in a bed of pureed Jerusalem artichoke (thick soup). It was one of the most wonderful things I have ever tasted but the foie gras had a sprinkle of brown sugar to give it is crunchy crust. For main I had souris d’agneau (lamb shank) which came with turnip which I left, ended with cheese and allowed myself the smallest piece of crusty bread. Plus 2 glasses of rosé wine. Will suffer the consequences tomorrow but we cannot put life on hold on the odd occasion. Only had a small omelette for supper tonight. Will report back tomorrow, hope the damage is limited.

• posted by Marsie
    on

I’m here too Busybee. One day at a time.
    Same weight as Tues, Wed, Thurs. Yesterday tried to put more protein into my day, ended up with quite a few more cals ìe 1100+, carbs 90+. Will sort out the right way. Others on here do so no reason I can’t. One positive though, I was absolutely on the button with recording everything I had. Made me realise just how much I was ignoring, so my cals, carbs were bound to have been way up anyway.
    Sounds like a most wonderful birthday dinner for sunshine-boy and yourself, SG. Agree totally, we must incorporate the celebrations into our lifestyle, if we’re to manage to lose weight or maintain our chosen goal. You managed the following day, so well done you👏

• posted by Busybee
    on

Morning all. My challenge this week was to only weigh Tuesday and Friday which has taken some pressure off and today I am down two pounds so back to my pre “fall off the wagon ” weight of last week.
    Now for the weekend!
    X B

• posted by ddraig_goch
    on

Well I failed miserably at sticking to my CHANGING SEASONS challenge. The first week was OK but then I had some family issues and no access to my treadmill or the internet for a couple of weeks. Got back on track last week and for the week ended up with a daily average of 750cals and 10360 steps. So I’m all ready to forget the past and move onwards with this new HOT CROSS BUN & EASTER EGG CHALLENGE.
    My challenge for the 4 weeks is the same as before – a daily average of 800 cals and 10,000 steps based on a week of data beginning on a Tuesday. It would be nice to lose my planned 2.5lb/wk but since this is now Friday and I have managed to alternate between going up 2lb and today getting back down to my Monday weight (despite averaging 786cals & 10,102 steps per day), I’m not going to hold out much hope so I’ll just stick to the 800 cal/10k step challenge and see where that takes me.
    In so far as hot cross buns and Easter eggs are concerned, there is no danger of me eating either – one is all grain and both contain sugar, neither of which I go anywhere near.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Well done B! We’ll smash the weekend🤗

ddraig_goch, does sound like you’re set up for this challenge, good luck with it.

Keep on keeping on……

• posted by Theodora
    on

Busybee and Marsie, really good to see you logging in and both doing well. Well done, Marsie, for logging everything – I agree it is so easy to let little things slip through without realising that all the little things can add up to a whole lot!

Glad you enjoyed your celebration lunch, s-g – sounds like a good one.

We got back from our 3 day gourmet break last night and had a wonderful time, despite the dreadful weather. We ate and drank for too much delicious food and wine but, on the plus side, “gourmet” food does tend to be served in relatively small portions, but I did consume 3 courses every evening, despite my best intentions! Stayed off the other refined carb temptations though – home-made focaccia being the greatest temptation to me!

Breakfasts were relatively easy, carb wise – I had smoked haddock and poached eggs one morning, scrambled eggs and smoked salmon another, both preceded by greek yoghurt and berries so, whilst I ate FAR too much, it was BSD friendly as I avoided all toast / pastries etc. Dinners were a little more challenging but, hey, it was only 3 days and o/h insisted I deserved a treat…………..

Anyway, I vowed not to weigh myself until Monday to give myself time to repair the damage, but this morning there I was, bright and early, standing on the scales (I’ve become a total scale addict). To my utter amazement (I was feeling really fat – just goes to show how these things can be all in the mind!) I had only put on 1lb! 🙂 When I weighed on Tuesday morning just before we went, I had dropped 1.5lbs overnight, so in fact, I am still 0.5lbs lighter than I was on Monday, so still a full 2 stone down! 🙂 Result 🙂 Today and tomorrow I will be REALLY strict and hope to see that 1lb disappear – I know it cannot have been converted to actual fat yet, and is just glycogen sitting there clinging onto 3 – 4 times it’s own weight in water, so hopefully it will whoosh away quickly. 😉

Keep up the good work, challengers. We can all do anything we want and believe we can. 🙂

• posted by Marsie
    on

Theodora! Great enjoyment, relaxation AND result! You’re on a roll🙆

on

Not too much damage from birthday lunch. I had lost 0.2 kgs since Tuesday and today I have regained that so not much really, just back to square one. Which gives me motivation for the weekend ahead, know I can be down half a kilo by then. BG has gone back down to a normal (for me) 4.9 so that is back on track. Even the day before was within the 80 – 120 range at 117. Did 50 mins aerobics this morning and quite a bit of cleaning to do. Want the house spick and span for when our housesitters arrive in 2 weeks time. Total Spring clean.

• posted by amy20
    on

I’m here a bit late but I would like to join! I am just getting started. Yesterday I cleared out our stash of granola bars. Today I have the rest of the pantry. Nice to meet you! 🙂

on

Good day. Dodged a couple of carb bullets, got my exercise done. Even unexpected £235 garage bill didn’t drive me to the biscuits. philosophical about it…

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning everyone

Wise words MK I like you philosophical approach to life at the moment … think I need to join you!

Not much to report so far this week. I’ve had a few meals out and a one day ‘carb fest’ so as a result my weight has hovered within a pound or so. Yesterday I bit the bullet and made an appointment with a hip surgeon for May. I have know for around 5 months that my hip is nearing ‘replacement’ so decided, because I’m starting to suffer with pain at night, that now is the time to start the ball rolling. May need to have surgery before the year is out, possible autumn. Sooooooooooooo, despite having lost more than 50lbs since last summer I need to up the pace!

I have been following this plan now for nearly 9 months and I think I’m getting a bit ‘stale’. My loss hasn’t been very fast mainly because I’ve not stuck to the plan like glue and because of my lack of mobility, but I need to address both of those problems somehow. I am setting myself a target of a loss of 33lbs over the next 6 months, if I can hang on that long!! It may not seem like a huge amount but at the moment if feels like a mountain to me!

I know ‘life’ will get in the way in the coming months but any tips or hints to help me get back into the full swing of BSD would be more than welcome.

Have a good weekend!

on

Verano, one of the really good things I did at the Spa was to have a discussion with a weight loss therapist. He helped me to look at why I sabotage, how to be better to myself, how to make compliance easier by not getting so tired and fed up that I feel ‘deserving’ .
    And I know this won’t be for everyone, but he recommended a session with a hypnotherapist, to put my thoughts and motivation in a more ordered place. which I did and paid extra for.
    I didn’t think it had made any difference, but yesterday, going home hungry from an event, I pondered on buying a tub of M&S prepped pineapple as ‘not as bad as what I might have chosen’ , even put my hot sticky paw on it. But it was as if my hand just moved back and my head said ‘you don’t need that’. Got some celery sticks, happily munched those. And am definitely focused on finding time to do something I enjoy each day. Rejoined choir. Walking a neighbour’s cute dog. Test driving new cars. I may not buy, but am enjoying trying!

The therapist guy said something that stayed with me too. That sometimes, if you push too hard at a door, it’s harder to open. Lighten up and the door still opens, with less physical effort, and next time, you don’t approach it expecting it to be difficult. There’s something in that, I think. Oo, going all zen… Happy Saturday all, choose well!
    MK x

• posted by Marsie
    on

A fresh start in the pantry will be a great benefit to you amy20 . Although many of us weigh more than once a week, often daily, we’ve designated Tuesday as our “official” weigh-in, reporting in day. Many more conversations on this and other threads along the way however. So join in and keep us up to date with how you’re getting on.

on

Like Verano I am around 9 months on this plan, in fact I started on 28th June 2016 so I will have completed 9 months on Tuesday. Just shows that if you really stick with it, it works. Lost the 0.2kg I gained and another 0.2kg. Back down to 72kgs and determined to be under that on Tuesday, just have to take a leaf out of MK’s book and get into the right mind set. One thing about me is that I am very stubborn and if I decide on something no-one can budge me and I a determined to crack the 2kgs I need to get to 11 stones for my holiday. I might not make it exactly but at least I will have done my best.

BG around 4.7 but I popped up insulin to 23 units after the meal out, although I didn’t really have anything too bad. Will drop it to 22 tonight to get me back on track. I like it that I am in control and can adjust my eating to suit the diabetes demon and look after my own medication (even if I still have to take it).

Have a good weekend all and keep on keeping on…

• posted by Marsie
    on

Maharani kitten, what an important thing you’ve done, firstly in being so pro-active in having the discussion with the therapist, secondly in passing the information on to us.
    I’ve taken a couple of things out of it as food for thought. 1: about being so tired and fed up that compliance is difficult. Something that I “knew” but to have it restated in a much more positive form hit home and 2: pushing too hard at the door etc. Zen is good, MK, thank you!
    I’ll give you a giggle about hypnotherapy: I’ve tried it more than once, but in the first preamble I was told that I would never go right under, that I would never be made to do or say anything uncomfortable for me, that I’d always be in control. So, apparently I kept trying to prove just that by bringing myself constantly to the surface. Three different therapists, different practices, different times in my life. Nope, eventually told I was unhypnotisable, little ol’ control freak me (definitely not the way I see myself!) and the frustration of the therapists was palpable🤔
    Thanks again and I’m so glad it was so worthwhile for you.

• posted by Busybee
    on

Just popping in and glad to hear you are all doing well either with weight loss or determination to do so.
    Continuing with my mission to gently move forward this week, I have had a lovely day in the garden enjoying the sunshine with hubby and now a glass of G and slimline T has mysteriously appeared in my hand!
    I am feeling less anxious about the BSD and with not weighing daily and will move forward next week to be more true to the “rules”.
    X B

Please log in or register to post a reply.