2nd 8 weeks starting Tuesday August 30th

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

I CONFESS ……

Today I had bread!!!!

This is the first time in over 10 weeks and in part maybe I just needed to see how it would be!

Had a huge urge for rollmop herrings and just needed bread to go with them! So had some French baton, not a lot , with butter and a few tomatoes.

Was it good?????? No, not really! Taste was ok but not really any more satisfying than little gem boats would have been! Left a really heavy feeling almost like I’d swallowed a lead balloon or at least what I think it would feel like had I swallowed a lead balloon!!!!

Then of course I put it into to Fatsecret …. can’t even report the number of carbs of calories here I’m too ashamed!!!!

Surfice it to say I won’t be doing that again!! I know that we all have to make our own mistakes but I urge you, if you need bread etc. please check you carb/cal counter before you eat it , may just save you from yourself!!!!!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

VERANO if its any consolation,youve helped me a little today!
    Its over ten weeks since ive had bread too and altho i havent wanted to eat any( in fact,a little scared to eat any of the things i havent had for ten weeks – which in itself isnt that great is it…really makes me feel i AM an addict and just imbibing one crumb will send me mad!) …
    anyway have been very curious as to how it might feel to have some bread after the weeks without …i sensed it might be like you said..very very heavy in the tum
    Well you’ve lived and learned! And youve satisfied my curiosity for me too!
    I guess if we are ever to introduce SOME bread into our menus ( if only to stop ourselves from making bread into a huge big deal) we may well be happy with a little nibble or two..not too bad on the carbs and not heavy on our tums…rather than massive doorsteps – thats what i used to eat anyhoo XX

• posted by loopylou
    on

Hi everyone
    Krysia, good news about your eye problems. It’s amazing the side effects of this diet.
    Frog. Sorry about your gain but I am sure it will have disappeared by tomorrow.
    Jan , my spiraliser is a twinzee. It is like a pencil sharpener. I guess you could spiraliser carrots but it can’t do anything bigger than a courgette although maybe you could do other stuff (butternut squash?) if you cut it into courgette sized pieces. I have only had mine a couple of days. I am sure the others can give you better advice as to what you can spiralise.

I just worked out its 14 weeks till Christmas and I have 17kg to lose. Do you think it’s doable? I have been weighing in pounds but maybe I’ll change to kg. One kg a week seems a good target (I don’t think I could do a frog and lose 1.4kg in a day!). Let me know if you think it’s a realistic goal.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Frog.
    Sounds like you have had a busy day, was it a good one.
    ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Verano
    It’s funny isn’t it how it no longer is the pleasure it was before, and the hangover effect is a good reminder. I did it for a week and it took me four days to reverse the negative side effects again, and get back on track. Onwards an d upwards .
    ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Loopylou
    Go for it girl, get it gone. Yeaaaaaaa๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Loopy, you are the second person to mention the ‘X’ word. Back of the class. But really, only 14 weeks ahgggggg. But I have already booked to eat out on Christmas day with family.

• posted by Indy
    on

About a week after I finished the first eight, I went out to have one of my favorite things (next to pizza which just seemed like I’d burst into flames and perish if I ate because it’s so bad on every level): a burger AND a bun.

I was so excited and had planned for the bump and the fact that my weight might go up, etc. but that if I could never eat food I do love (with planning and care), I’d be miserable and liable to fail long term.

It wasn’t the worst burger I’d ever had – in fact, as burgers go it was one of my favorite places. But a) I couldn’t finish the bun and b) I didn’t really enjoy any of it. Trust me, I tried! But when the meal was over, I just thought, “Eh, what’s the point?”

On the other hand, most mornings I have plain yogurt, almonds, apple, and mango (passion fruit is too hard to find here), and almost every morning I think, “It’s amazing how much flavor this has!”

I still drool when I see pizza or smell bread baking, but I definitely think the pleasure will be momentary while the regret will not be. Though let’s give it a few weeks before I get too righteous – in October I may be telling you how I stuck my face in a bowl of Halloween candy and inhaled.

• posted by Kookaburra
    on

Hi everyone! I made it over the 8 week line! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
    Finally worked out how to register on here so that I could say Thank You! for all the inspiration and encouragement to continue (esp during the dreaded plateaux) that I received while lurking ๐Ÿ’— Thank you!!!
    Had my 8 week BSD 800 weigh in on Tuesday morning, lost 16.3% = 13.1kg (2st1lb, 29lb).
    Started at 80.5kg (12st10lb, 178lb) BMI 28.9, and ended at 67.4kg (10st9lb, 149lb) BMI 23.6. Feeling a LOT better! Constant maddening cravings to eat constantly gone. Caffeine consumption has plummeted. Portion sizes on the 800 plan are satisfying. Yayyyyyy!!!!!
    My knees are a little dodgy so I figure the lighter I am the longer they’ll last. I plan to continue now with a 2nd 8 weeks to lose a few kgs more (with an interruption for Aussie school holidays that may be more the Med plan). Exciting to think of losing more from here as even being an option!
    So there I am. Another success story for this wonderful eating plan, a massive thank you to MM, and for the beginner lurkers out there another happy person saying: I can see you, You Can Do It Too, Jump On The Bus!!!!!! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

Kookaburra, welcome and congratulations. I think you should be in MM’s next book, along with CaptainLynne and many other wonderful people.

Indy I had bread a few weeks ago and was quite ill afterwards.

Frog not so hungry but I may still be eating too much – have to reboot!

• posted by Kookaburra
    on

Hi Ruth, fellow Aussie, I’ve been watching you! ‘Captain Lynne and many other wonderful people’ includes you, and I’m so grateful to you all!

I had a slice of toasted burgen soy-Lin the day after I finished the 8 weeks… It tasted boring, and a couple of hours later I got the most amazing ice-pick headache in my eyebrow. Cured!

Earlier on in my journey I made the tiny little loaf of Elana’s rye bread (almond flour, seeds etc), cut it up into 20 or so tiny thin slices, and froze it. Was thinking ‘good grief, $20 million dollars for a tiny little loaf, what a waste of time’. Wrong! It has lasted me the whole 8 weeks as I only wanted a slice every so often, ‘toasted’ from frozen in a sandwich press. So much yummier than wheat bread!

• posted by Verano
    on

Well done Kookaburra!!!

Glad I saved you from yourself Yowzer!

It seems, Jan and Indy that we’ve all had similar experiences with bread! I’m not sure that I will eat it again as part of my diet. I had a piece about 6″ long and the carbs worked out at a fraction under 50!!!!! I could do so much more with that number of carbs and have tons more flavour and satisfaction!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Indy I can agree with that I’ve come to the conclusion that high carb sugar things smell and look delicious but tastebility insipid, same with cut grass love the smell but couldn’t entertain eating it hehe.
    We’ve evolved I feel like I’ve finally grown up ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

What a great example JAN..yeh cut grass smells lovely but wdnt want to eat it..will defffo bear that one in mind next time i’ m tantalised by the smell of baking bread in the supermarket ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
    KOOKABURRA Many congrats on crossing the 8 week line! ๐ŸŽˆโญ๏ธ๐ŸŽˆโญ๏ธ๐ŸŽˆโญ๏ธ๐ŸŽˆโญ๏ธ Xx
    And INDY gonna remember yr quote,” the pleasure will be momentary while the regret will not be”! X

• posted by loopylou
    on

Sunshine Girl, I apologise for mentioning the X word. I think it was brought on by going to choir and we started a new song for our christmas concert – yes, a Christmas song while it was 28 degrees outside! I promise , I won’t mention it again till December!

Re the bread, I used to get a lot of headaches and they are definitely less frequent now. I wonder if they were linked to eating high carb food (bread specifically – I was a bread monster).

Kookaburra, Hi and Well done. Great loss.

I know it is not weigh in till next Wed but I had a cheeky step on the scales today and Ive lost another pound – thats 1 1/2 stone gone. Whoppee! Now it’s on to the 12 stone somethings.

It is pouring here. I think tennis will be cancelled. And my dog walk will be a soggy one!

Enjoy your day, whatever it holds.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Last night I took my socks off and no sign of ankle swelling – usually the top of the socks make a huge indent into my ankles. There was just nothing. Another benefit of the BSD.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

OH who isn’t very overweight has at last joined me and has ditched the sugar (he was addicted to Whethers Original sweets) and cut the carbs a bit. He was quite shocked because he said the ‘carb flu’ was similar to what he felt when he gave up cigarettes.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Morning loopylou
    Well done on reaching milestone 1 1/2 st ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘it’s great isn’t it how much more do you have to go to target ๐Ÿ™‚ Happy Saturday
    Your fellow June 29 er

• posted by loopylou
    on

Thanks Jan for all those claps! I’ve still got 2 1/2 stone to go but I will get there. ๐Ÿ˜€ It’s interesting I found my old weight watchers log book. It took me 8 months to lose 1 1/2 stone there.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi loopylou

Yes when i lost 4 lb less that I lost at slimming world I lost with them half a sone every six months, I will loose the same amount on this plan in 12-13 weeks, amazing, this plan very little real hunger slimming world very often hungry. This plan much cheaper and has re educated my pallet slimming world didn’t.
    No brainier huh.
    Aren’t we so fortunate to have found this.
    ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Where’s everyone gone, no posts for over 12 hours, what’s up peeps, are you all out having fun . I’m washing my hair, hehe

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

I’ m here never fear JAN!
    Been busy all day and just starting to watch film on beeb 2 with a cuppa and some total yog and berries!
    Pretty tired so not sure if i’ ll make it to the end of the film X hugs xx

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Yowser,
    Lost it today and eat all sorts, haven’t a clue why I did it. Never mind tomorrow’s another day, what you watching.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Just had a look, looks interesting, I’m watching triangle, although I really should go have a shower and wash my hair, have a very early start tomorrow

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Sometimes its not a bad thing JAN coz it confuses yr body out of starting to think, oh no! Maybe theres a famine,i better hang onto the cals n carbs! so you get a little boost.
    Not to be done too often of course!
    Watching a film called Last Quartet about a group of musicians xx
    A little treat i bought DD is shouting to me from th fridge… a little pot of salted caramel choccy dessert! But i’ m taking no notice
    Lucky to be alive.. As me n Beau drove along Albert Dock yesterday, a double decker sightseeing bus just pulled out in front of us..driver oblivious! Could have been brown bread! We saw him later stil driving a tourist bus and laughing madly to himself!

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

Jan I hope you slept tight, Yowzer also. Some of us have been in bed sleeping and thinking about our reboot.
    loopyloo all claps from me too., I used to lose 3/4 kgs at ww over several months and then give up.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Ooh crikey Yowser, sounds like he’s crackers, you’ve obviously got good karma. ๐Ÿ˜‡

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Thanks RUTH! x yes wasnt it soul destroying at WW and SW!
    SW used to sell these biscuity bars..they were soooooo addictiv,goodness knows what was in them!
    After the first pack i didnt buy them any more coz i ate the whole pack within an hour. Thinking back they were very very sweet..tooo sweet!
    Happy reboot rebooters! X

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Morning Ruth luvvy, did you sleep well, another amazing rebooting day ahead huh.๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

JAN i hope so. Want to be around for a long time yet! X

Keep going folks! Pony up and ride yr horse,clippety clop! X

( thats odd.tried to put a horsey pic on but it wdnt stick )๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Tried again….nope,not working ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

JAN?.Triangle..was that from th 70s?
    Why the early start tomoz or shd i mind my beeswax? X

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Yes it did I saw it

• posted by greenjanet
    on

It’s a horror film on the horror channel, and working early tomorrow, the film is weird with a capital W

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

JAN you saw the horse pic? It didnt show up at all on my page! X

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Night all x dont have nightmares after that film JAN x
    One last try..no didnt work ๐Ÿ™ x nighty night x

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Yep saw the tortoise goodnight ๐Ÿ’ค๐Ÿ’ค๐Ÿ’ค

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hope everyone is having a good day.
    Am so pleased to report I am off insulin. This morning I was 10 stone 7 and three quarters of a pound – which was my goal. However, when I look at myself in the mirror it is very clear that I still have fat to lose – so I am staying on the 800 calories/25g carbs.

Today it was a grandson’s birthday. OH and I manned the kitchen. The food included pizza, sausage rolls, crisps, cupcakes, homemade biscuits, birthday cake etc. I was surrounded by everything that I used to be unable to resist. Amazingly I wasn’t tempted to even take one bite of anything. I didn’t have to use any willpower – I just didn’t want it. This never happened when I was on WW or SW. This really is a way of eating not a diet.
    I had bought with me my homemade Kefir and some Brazil’s and just one square of dark chocolate. Not a very balanced meal but really delicious and satisfying.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

KRYSIA that is really good news rinsulin! Plus you have got to yr initial goal even if now you have changed goal!

Well done on resisting the party goodies! Do we get out of the habit of eating so called treats coz we dont seem to miss them really do we?
    Theres something about this way of eating that makes us stop in the face of temptation!I

I wd say nine times out of ten i dont feel any yearnings for stuff i used to eat but must admit some golden crispy fat chips on my friends lunch plate yesterday looked enticing! I didnt even have one tho x

• posted by loopylou
    on

Krysia, Well done, on being off insulin, at being at your original, if not your final, goal weight and for not wanting all that carby food. You have done so well and are an inspiration for those of us with still quite a way to go.

I don’t know how you manage with only 25g of carbs. I try and stick to 50g. What do you eat on a normal day?

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I pinched two chips off my OH’S plate to eat with my pub Skinny steak last night ๐Ÿ˜ฎ Still under calories and carbs for the day. The steak was lovely and although I enjoyed the chips I didn’t want any more. This is really going to work in the end! A new way of life.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Cripes LOOPY i dont think i could manage on 25 g carbs either..KRYSIA how do you do it..i am often under 50 but its usually well over thirty
    MIX well done on just two chips! Pub skinny steak? Is that from a chain of pubs or just what yr local does? Sounds just the ticket

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Thank you all for your kind posts. I must admit though I was a little concerned when the pizzas were in the oven because the smell of them cooking was divine as it wafted around the kitchen. But when I looked at the cooked pizzas I just didn’t want them. That is a real surprise to me as in the past they would have been irresistable.
    Re: the carbs. I have found if I have an almost carb free breakfast such as scrambled eggs it leaves more carbs for the other two meals. My carb allowance is mainly used on vegetables and it helps if I play around with fat secret in the morning. I will put in what I intend to eat but if the carbs go over I substitute for something else. I add low carb but high calorie stuff like brazils or walnuts which are amazingly high in calories but low carb and very satisfying. Cabbage or courgettes fried in a little butter bulk up the meals. Mushrooms are yummy also.
    To get as low as 25g of carbs I have to severely limit fruit to 25g of blueberries from time to time so have been taking Vit C tablets in case I am not getting enough with the diet at the moment.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

The Wetherspoon pub local to me, they have a great range of ‘special’ menu’s such as gluten free, vegetarian and vegan and even points! But this was off the main grill section. An 8 oz Aberdeen Angus rump steak with just a side salad, leaves, tomato and red onion, all my favourites. I had a sneaky side fried egg too. I am seeing more and more choices on pub menu’s now that support this way of eating. Not that I eat out in them that often… every meal has calorie values on the menu too, even the scary ones like the BBQ ribs. (My OH added up the calories, at over 2000 just for one meal with the chips and side dishes). That’s before you start on the desserts.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Thanks KRYSIA and MIX for that helpful info xx
    KRYSIA i go easy on the berries too even tho they are the only fruit i have…good idea to take some vit C if not getting enough,as we need the vit c to absorb iron . I too fiddle round with my onLine food diary and adjust til i’ m happy with my days grub! I LOVE buttery cabbage..yummy!
    MIX I hadnt thought of trying Wethys..! Am always looking for places i can find a cal count x

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Just a thought about the level of carbs. Was reading about some research on how people react to exercise. All participants in the study followed the same regime but the results varied with some people improving dramatically but others following exactly the same regime did not do anything like as well. They surmised it was the participants genetic makeup that influenced the results. Maybe it could possibly be the same with the carbs. Some people (probably the majority) do really well with 50g of carbs some people do better with lower.

On around 50g of carbs and probably around 1000 calories I lost just over a stone on the BSD in 4 months. Since 3rd Sept on 25 g carbs and 800 calories I have lost up to this morning exactly 11lbs and am now 10 stone 6 and three-quarters of a pound. Even if I was a bit more than the 1000 calories a day because I was guessing rather than weighing – the much faster weight loss can’t be explained by the drop in calories alone.

The waist measurements are really interesting. 3rd Sept 31 inches if I really really pulled the tape tightly. Today 29 inches with the really tight tape. This seems to suggest that for me lower carbs work better to get rid of the visceral fat but someone else wouldn’t need to go anything like as low and indeed it may not be good for them to go as low.

It sort of feels like we are part of a BSD trial and we are leading the way in changing how doctors, dieticians and diabetic educators view a healthy diet. Soon there will be to many of us reversing our diabetes for them to ignore.

• posted by loopylou
    on

Thanks Krysia for your insight.
    I got to 13 stone two days ago and then for the two following days have put on 1/8 pound. I know it’s only tiny but it is frustrating as I really wanted to start my weight with a 12 . (I am blaming it on not enough exercise over the weekend)

So I have sat down with MFP this morning and plotted out everything I intend to eat today and it has come to 34g carbs and 776 calories, so I will stick to it and see how it goes. This is a first for me. Normally I don’t really plan, in this much detail.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Yipee, the recipe book has arrived so that is me gone for the day. Had a quick look and all the recipes have counted Calories, Protein, Fat, Fibre and Carbs so I will have to trust them (no calculation can be 100% accurate) and let them do the work for me. At first I will double check on my Sparkpeople App but looking forward to getting a few more recipes under my belt.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Loopylou – well done for getting to 13 stone. You will soon be in the 12s. I only started the planning on 3rd Sept and it has been amazingly helpful. It was so good to see exactly what the carbs an cals were and I think it helped me keep to the plan – once it was on fat secret that is exactly what I ate and I didn’t add anything else.

Mixnmatch – I noticed this year on holiday that it was easier to eat low carb. I hadn’t thought of trying Weatherspoons so it’s good to know they are ok.

Sunshine-girl – thanks for that info. It sounds that the new book will be helpful and I will get a copy.

Please log in or register to post a reply.