2 Weeks Done and Feeling Great!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by outrunner2k7
    on

Hi Everyone

Time to delurk methinks!

Just wanted to share my journey with you lovely people. I started 2 weeks ago (the day after my 45th birthday) as I’d had enough of getting through a bottle of wine a night (at least!) and several fast food meals a week and making my clothes ever tighter, feeling fat and lethargic! Something had to be done. I previously did the 5:2 diet in 2013 to great effect (from 16st 7 to 14st 8 in 6 months) but found it far too easy to gobble up those extra calories in vino and Mc Donald’s on the feast days!

So here I am 2 weeks in and I must say I am blown away by this diet. I’ve gone from 241.2lbs to 229lbs… incredible. I know I should brace myself for either a slow down or plateau but for now I feel very positive plus I’m fitting into my old 36″ jeans that were destined for the charity shop not 4 weeks ago (so glad I was lazy and didn’t get around to dropping all those clothes off!!)

I think having fasted before has really helped me on this as I know now that hunger is nothing to be afraid of, in fact I rarely feel hungry now and often skip breakfast and lunch! Weird but working ๐Ÿ™‚ I ensure I have the 3 litres of water a day and can tell if I don’t because the scales don’t move much and walk at least that magic 10k steps (we have labs that don’t mind that at all!) I don’t always hit the 10k but I do make sure that I move around lots.

I’ve got a long way to go (8 week target 212lbs – long term 140lbs (ish!)) but I really feel I can do this.

The tools I use to help motivate me:
    Jawbone Up Band and App
    Wife with Up Band for healthy competition in steps!
    Blood Glucose Tester (Weekly on a Sunday) was 9 now 4.5
    Blood Pressure Monitor (Weekly on a Sunday) Didn’t do this for the first week as the cuff was too small (ironically), now have a larger one and need to work on blood pressure to bring it down a bit.
    Ketostix (habit forming I’ve found just to check everything is doing what it should be doing !!)

I also wanted to thank everyone on here. Over the last two weeks I’ve often dipped in and read others experiences and it has helped me enormously, especially when the scales didn’t move.

Here’s to the next 6 weeks and a new me (and you)!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey outrunner2K7 – welcome on-board!
    Sounds like you have made a great start and are full of positive energy to see you through. You did well on the 5:2 and you have made good progress so far with the BSD – excellent BG by the way. You have already found out that the forum is chock full of advise, tips, support and encouragement, so now that you’re posting, be sure to make the most of it. Remember we all like to hear about the progress being made, so let us know how you get on.
    I’m just starting on week 6. Plateaued for most of weeks 2 and 3, but progress has been okay since then. I’m currently 11lb down and chasing the first stone! Hopefully it will happen by 8th April, as I’m off on a road trip to Turkey then.
    Look forward to hearing how the next six weeks go for you.

• posted by outrunner2k7
    on

Hey SunnyB

Thanks for the warm welcome and encouragement ๐Ÿ™‚

Oh… how I dream of week 6 LOL

Road trip to Turkey sounds awesome and plenty of Med eating there to boot! I’m sure you’ll defo hit your target by then.

Thanks again ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by SunnyB
    on

You’ll be at six weeks before you know it. It really does seem to pass so quickly and to be honest, I hardly notice I’m on a diet now and you will be like that too, if you aren’t already. It’s amazing how the body adjusts to this new regime and how much better you feel for it.

Keep us posted on your progress.

• posted by Denise47 Jones
    on

Hey outrunner2k7

When I read your opening few sentences I thought you’d had a sneaky look into my own life – that was me 3 weeks ago. I’m in the middle of week 4 and have lost 13lbs so far. About another 16lbs to go before I reach my 11stone goal.

Keep going and welcome to the forums xx

• posted by alexginda
    on

I also successfully lost weight following 5:2 last year and kept it off until just after Christmas and for the past three months have been eating far too many sugary and carb laden items, especially chocolate. Only on the 3rd day, but it does help having had the discipline of doing two fast days per week (500 cals) previously and being aware of some of the side effects of intermittent fasting. However, I really must concentrate on eradicating sugar from my life, even though my current BMI is 24.2 so hoping the BSD plan will help me boot out the sweet things in my life.

• posted by outrunner2k7
    on

Hey Denise47 and thanks for the welcome. You’re going great guns too! My mantra used to be “Life tastes better with wine”! but I know I’d have a fat life if I kept going like that (plus maybe a couple of choccy bars a day sometimes!) and the decreasing number keep me forging forward. I must say, I do look forward to my morning weigh ins now ๐Ÿ˜€

Alexiginda, yes, I agree, the 5:2 IF is like a foundation course for Fast 800! You can launch into it full steam ahead knowing what to expect with the added bonus of immediate results every day (mostly)

I love my sugary things too but this week have weened myself off the sweeteners I used to have in my hot drinks. Hot drinks still don’t feel as “comforting” as they used to but I am slowly getting used to it and I’m sure that will pass.

What I am still missing is my mega lunch at Mc Ds but I’ve done a bit of research and could go bun & fries free and opt for the salad as a side. It’s still low carbs (around 3) and full of fatty goodness!! LOL

• posted by Narisya
    on

Hi everyone,

I have been on the 8 week diet for 8 days today and so far I’ve lost 7kg which is simply amazing for me. I have never lost that much so fast, ever. What I love about it all is that the recipes are easy enough to follow and taste great (didn’t take to the vegetable curry recipe or the blueberry green tea shake but that may have been because I used frozen instead of fresh blueberries and used 0 fat yoghurt inserted of full fat!)

Reading all your stories has been really inspirational and reassuring. I have always believed that going under 1000 calories a day would mess up my metabolism and this is my first attempt ever. I thought that I would be crabby and starving on it but nothing of the sort. Instead i feel less lethargic, no feelings of depravation at all and of course the weight loss and inches off have been a big push in the right direction.

I have a few questions though and was wondering if anyone would be able to help me.

1) I haven’t done any major exercise except to increase my step goal in a day and be generally more active with my daily activity. I am afraid that if I do it all at once, my body will get use to it and plateau faster. I thought that maybe I would increase of the exercise factor once I got more weight off. I am also concerned about gaining the weight back after.

Question: Would the 5:2 that I have seen mentioned several times be a good way to maintain my weight after I stop with this diet?

2) Coffee – I love coffee and I see that Micael mentions that it should be an occasional affair. I like at least one in the morning and one in the evening but I drink it black. Is this okay?

3) The baked goods – Could I eat one of the guilt free baked goods as my breakfast if I wanted to skip the planned meal – as long as my calories are within the 800 mark?

4) The recipes on the website – may I use them too? Have they been approved and that’s why we see them or can anyone just contribute anything?

Apologies if some of my questions are on the ignorant side. I have just started and am just making sure I am on the right track.

Thanks very much in advance!
    Good luck and great health,
    Narisya

• posted by orchid
    on

Narisya, Well done on getting started and making progress. I did as you have and just increased the walking and I have been doing a weekly pilates class that the step counter does not register. I am finished the 8 weeks and now looking at increasing my exercise through jogging and other classes at the gym. I was wary of starting that till I got to a certain threshold so did not damage my joints. Adding in some swimming would be a good thing to add in first or an aqua class if you can find one. PIlates and yoga are also good for flexibility and preparing the body for more active challenges later on. I certainly plan to make sure my exercise is up substantially in the future.
    The baked good – check not just the calories but the carbs. You may find that the baked goods are higher carbs and puts you over your carb allocation. I did not bother with them as I wanted to break the habit of eating them, which I have done. Other than that, if it fits within your budgets, fine. The only other point to think about is that the recommended breakfasts are all ones that are good at keeping us full for long periods so there is less snacking. They have high fat and high protein. Do the baked goods do that?
    The website recipes are ones we have tried ourselves and used, they are not vetted. Again – you need to check the calories yourself and the carbs in them before you use them. I have used the cauliflower and bean soup and it was great – it is a meal for lunch. The stuffed peppers (Indian style) I found to be very high carbs (found out after I had made them) and I ended up with no carbs for the rest of the day! I may repeat that one in a later phase, but not in the 800.
    Oh and coffee – I think he assumes coffee would include milk as in cappuccino etc! I have 3-4 cups a day black with no side effects. Good luck going forward.

• posted by Narisya
    on

Thanks so much orchid. You’ve really cleared things up and helped me confirm ideas I had. I’ll do as you have fine and keep the baked goods out of the picture. I think I’ll add swimming to my regime from next week as its low impact and will help with overall weight loss.
    Wishing you all the best with your regime moving forward.
    Thanks again, Narisya

Please log in or register to post a reply.