yogurts don't like it plain, what can I add

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by barby
    on

I have a question please about yogurts please, as I was going to try one for breakfast. I understand the Greek type full fat are best, but I really don’t like them plain, and I guess the fruit flavoured ones have fructose or other bad things.

Don’t like honey much, what else could I add to add some fruity flavour? I have some frozen blackberries, I could microwave for a few seconds and add them.Just wondered what you all do? Would love it if there were a low carb fruit one anywhere. Thanks.

• posted by LucyAB
    on

Hi Barby,

Until I started this way of eating, I HATED plain yoghurt! However, as I have cut out refined carbs and sugar, it tastes better everyday! I have been eating it with a few blueberries and strawberries and a sprinkle of mixed seed i.e. flax seed, sunflower etc – Delicious! Never thought I would ever post that. I have been eating Yeo full fat natural yoghurt

Lucy

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Barby I do that with berries, strawberries I use fresh and I have used pear as well
    To vary things I add a tsp of milled linseed to help keep the plumbing regular

• posted by barby
    on

Thanks Lucy – maybe my tastes will change too then. I have tried to like it just plain.Maybe I could make a sauce from frozen strawberries etc.

• posted by Magpiemag
    on

Hi all, loving the ideas! I find that really need strong flavours and crunch to satisfy me at breakfast time. I use frozen mixed red berries which include blackcurrants and raspberries or, to ring the changes, grated lemon zest and a sprinkle of stevia or orange zest, stevia and a sprinkle of cacao nibs which add a nice crunch too. Then the seeds, milled flax, nuts etc. I’m a vegetarian, almost vegan, so I use diary free yogurt which is also low carb and filling.

• posted by barby
    on

Thanks for the ideas Magpie – I’m veggie too. I have a mixture of ground seeds and nuts that I add to my jumbo oats, so could use that.Will get some milled flax anyway, as it’s good for your hair I think.

Never tried the cacao nuts, but will now, as thy are apparently a superfood, but rather bitter! Somewhere I read you can add a little cinammon, turmuric or shredded coconut also. Prefer the fruit idea to be honest..

• posted by Magpiemag
    on

Hi barby, yes cacao nibs are an acquired taste for some. I love them but I’ve never been a milk chocolate fan. They are quite pricey (I buy raw nibs online) but I find a dessert spoon sprinkled on top of my yogurt is enough so a pack goes a long way. I also use turmeric, cinnamon and root ginger in savoury food and cacao can zip up a chilli! I am interested in the anti inflammatory effect of such foods as well as the delicious taste. if you like coconut there are dairy free coconut yogurts available in the usual supermarkets. Check that they are unsweetened. I’m interested to hear how my fellow vegetarians are doing. 😊

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi barby – I use the Trukish style yogurt from Lidl, which is 10% fat and very creamy. I sometimes soak a few sultanas in a flavoured tea – rose, ginger or a fruit version – then sprinkle a few into my yogurt with some mixed seeds. It’s amazing how much sweetness just a few pre-soaked sultanas can impart. I also sometimes add a little cinnamon or nutmeg.

Check out the What have you eaten today thread, where people post their menus, as there are lots of ideas on there.

• posted by Leeanne
    on

I also thought I’d never get used to plain natural yoghurt but now I have it every day. I use either fresh strawberries on top or cherries. The bags of frozen cherries -Tesco own brand- are really nice and only £2 a bag. 10 cherries is 20 cals. I find a bag lasts me ages as I get out 10 at a time to defrost. I sometimes have a few flaked almonds too if I can fit the cals in.

• posted by Matrika
    on

I occasionally use frozen blueberries but more often now olive EV oil or avocado oil with paprika and salt flakes, pepper ground over. Looks pretty too but it is definitely for those who like savoury foods. I have been working very hard to change my taste away from sweet foods for awhile now and I know this wouldn’t appeal to everyone. I use a lot of cinnamon if I am hankering after a sweet flavour.

• posted by barby
    on

Thanks for all the great ideas. I must get that Lidl yoghurt, I’ve heard others recommend it too.

Love the frozen cherries idea, they didn’t have any at our local Tescos so will try further afield. Likewise the sultanas.

Matrika, the savoury idea does not appeal! (yet) but I’ll try the cinammon, thanks. I must persevere ad try and love yoghurt without loads of sweetened fruit compote.

There is a recipe for baked rhubarb with orange zest added to yoghurt in the book (which I started reading today). I love rhubarb so will try that.

Also I could add a dollop to a veggie curry or bolognaise.

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Daft question but what’s full fat yoghurt ,I looked all over Tesco couldn’t see name full fat so got natural plain tub for a pound it’s massive too
    I stuck blueberries in small bowl of it delicious but is it bad !!
    Cheers Alan

• posted by barby
    on

Hi Alan

Until someone more expert replies, I’d just say avoid anything that says Low Fat or 0% Fat, and also any fruit yogurts.

Originally I thought Greek Yogurt was best, but noticed there was a 0% fat version of that too.

You’re right they don’t say full fat – it’s a minefield trying to choose!,

Glad you’re enjoying the blueberries, and hope you get some more answers soon.

• posted by neohdiver
    on

Full fat Greek yogurt should have 220 calories per cup. Not sure about regular yogurt, since I buy it far less frequently.

I add 3 Tbsp sunflower seeds (or fewer depending on my eating plan for the day), 20 grams of pomegranate kernels, and .5 – 1 tsp of cinnamon to 5 oz of full-fat Greek yogurt..

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi, ignore any yoghurts that say skimmed or no fat, or 2% fat etc, also most of the fruit yoghurts have hidden sugars added and or other sweeteners that you should not have. Most full fat do say that on them and the Greek yoghurt has a higher protein content than other yoghurts which is beneficial especially for veggies – it is also lovely :-). Adding berries is fine – blueberries or strawberries are not too high in cals and blueberries release the sugars slowly which does not cause spikes of insulin. A good pinch of cinnamon as well as some nuts to yoghurt is really good.

• posted by barby
    on

Well today I have had 3 tablespoons of Rachels Organic Greek Style Natural Yoghurt. I mixed it with some frozen blackberries I thawed in microwave (I picked them 18 months ago but they seem fine). I added a sprinkle of milled flax and also a tiny sprinkle of chia seeds, plus 1 tea spoon mixed ground nuts and seeds.I served it in my nice glass desert bowl, and actually enjoyed it, I scraped the bowl . I am having to re educate my taste buds, all the extras you’ve suggested really help. Tonight I’ll prepare some in a little pot to take to work, as I try not to eat until after 10.

I hope the yoghurt was ok, it wasn’t as sharp as some I’ve had, and very creamy. I will try the Lidl one and the Farge, so see which I prefer. Does anyone know if some are much better than others carb wise?

I am still feeling my way, going to make a veggie quorn mince later and add loads of allowed veg, will probably make a chilli as love a few added pulses. May stir a little yoghurt into that too. I also bought a sweet potato, now got to work do what to make with it – did I mention I’m not a great cook :}

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Barby, yes that is the yoghurt I use – Yeo also do one. Rachel’s is a little bit thicker. I have also been using fruit picked some time ago and frozen and it is fine.
    What I started doing a few weeks ago after a couple of accidents with the microwave (pressed 30 mins instead of 30 secs) to take the berries out the night before and putting them and the yogurt in the dish and leaving in a cupboard overnight so defrost – that way both are at room temperature when I eat them.
    So per 100g – Total Farg 96 cals and 3.8g carbs; Rachel’s 105 cals and 5.0g carbs; Yeo; 129 cals and 6.4g carbs. Don’t know the Lidl one as there stuff is not online.
    Good luck with the mince – sounds good.

• posted by xena
    on

Hi, anyone know of any yogurts in AUSTRALIA suitable for BSD? I love Greek yogurt but not with fruit.
    Just wanting a sweet tasting plain flavored yogurt I can have with breakfast with my fruit on the side. Thanks

• posted by Poppyflower
    on

I am in NSW. I have used Farmers Union, Tamar Valley, Chris’s, Dodoni and Dairy Farmers. All plain full fat Greek yogurt with no sugar, fruit , honey or flavours added and available at woolies and Coles. I have also had full fat Lyttos Greek yogurt from Aldi. I buy whichever one of the above is on special.

• posted by Erinmaher
    on

Hi Barby (& all).

Ground cinnamon is a great thing to add to something as tart as Greek Yoghurt when starting out. It won’t take long and your taste buds will come around. Unsalted pistachios or slivered almonds are also a good addition, and once you have adjusted to the taste then you may find pepitas or chia seeds more palatable. It can be quite confronting at first, but give yourself time to adjust and before you know it, you will turn up your nose at anything filled with sugar and chemicals.

In Nsw, Xena, Chobani has one of the lowest in sugars – beware of their fruit variety though. They are horrific! Just their plain natural Greek Yoghurt. The little tubs are on special this week in Woolworths of you wanted to try.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Xena
    I’ve checked at Woolies, Coles, Aldi and IGA and the full fat yogurt that I can find with the least carbs is Chobani whole milk plain yogurt in the white and dark green container. Per 100g it has 88 cals, 8.7g Protein, 4g Fat, 3.9g Carbs. You can get others, but the carbs are higher.
    Don’t get the one in the white/light green container as that is the low fat version.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Sugar sugar
    on

It helps a lot if you leave fruit in cup of yogurt overnight. The flavors mingle.
    Or you could make more of a syrupy kind of topping that really mixes well.
    I do this by heating fruit in saucepan. When it’s warm you can smash it. Mix in a very little bit of juice, or water.
    Very tasty.

• posted by Syb
    on

Black swan naturally sweet Greek yoghurt tastes great but is much higher in carbs than those mentioned above.(Australia) I buy bags of mixed frozen berries from Aldi. Either defrost or heated in microwave for cold mornings is nice.

Please log in or register to post a reply.