Wholemeal flour – is it a definite no?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Sue1234
    on

In the book it says that wholemeal bread is no good as it has a lot of sugar in it. But is it OK to use wholemeal flour? I don’t like the coconut flour, I find the taste lingers for days!.
    I bake my own bread any way and wondered if I made some without sugar and only ate a small amount if that would be OK. Any thoughts?

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Sue 1234 – ALL wheat flour is off the menu on this diet as it is a low carb diet – i.e. no refined carbs such as bread, rice and wheat pasta. I would recommend looking at the chickpea flour flatbread recipe. Also you can make chickpea flour pasta (haven’t tried yet so can’t tell you what it is like) sorry to put a downer on your bread baking plans 🙁

• posted by Bill1954
    on

It is slightly better than white flour because of the extra fibre and complex carbs content but still not the best.
    Shrove Tuesday I had a wholemeal flour pancake with berry khuli and I suffered for it with a high blood sugar reading next day.
    Look in the white flour thread. One of the regulars has posted a list of flours and their calorific and carb values.

Please log in or register to post a reply.