What/Who is Right??? ๐Ÿ˜•

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Flower55
    on

I’ve just found a book I bought last year called The Everyday Diabetic Cookbook by Stella Bowling published with Diabetes UK. What it’s telling you in some parts of this book goes completely against the grain of the BSD! It states “base yr meals on starchy carbohydrate foods” & an example menu of a Low GI meal plan includes B/fast: Oats All Bran or Muesli….Snacks: yog fruit popcorn rye bread fruit loaf! Lunch: Baked Beans with J.Spud mixed grain breads. Dinner: Basmati rice sweet potato pearl barley noodles to eat along with meat/fish. It also states “eat more pasta based meals & incl. more beans & pulses.

Reduce fat intake & opt for more lower fat products.

Obviously it encourages you to eat plenty of fruit/veg but no restrictions as such.

So what/who is right. Surely if this book had input from Diabetes UK you’d think it was ok?

Confused.com ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

• posted by Frog
    on

I think that BSD is quite new in the approach of low carb & ditch the artificial low fat rubbish – give it to the charity shop!

• posted by Izzy
    on

have you read the 8 week blood sugar diet book? If not I’d suggest you do. Much of this type of debate is referred to in the book with a bit of explaining.

At the end of the day there are still differing views, here we have embraced BSD, we each have to make our own choices.

• posted by Flower55
    on

Hi Izzy yes I read the book b4 I started the BSD & it’s working well for me 11.5lbs in 12 days ๐Ÿ˜Š Just seems the cookery book is telling you totally different way of eating!

• posted by Alan B
    on

Diabetes UK do not seem to have caught up with the latest research with respect to low CHO as opposed to low fat. In their list of recipes they do not have a ‘Low CHO’ section – they have a ‘Low Sugar’ section, but that is not quite the same.
    A way to check this is take the energy due to CHO and divide that figure by the combined energy for fat & protein. For instance, in one of their ‘Low Sugar’ recipes, the energy due to CHO (which includes sugar) is 2.35 times the combined energy due to fat & protein. Hardly ‘Low CHO’!

• posted by Izzy
    on

Sounds like this is working great for you then, so if I were you I’d just forget about what else you’ve read, by all means use any of the recipes that are BSD friendly or convertible and just ignore the rest.

• posted by Nettle
    on

Type 2. Think about how many people using the official dietary advice are coming off medication, losing weight and feeling great. Not many compared to the changes registered on this site. Life changing stories. I worked in the medical profession, it takes a long time to turn the tanker. if that official diet works why is diabetes increasing rapidly, why do most diabetics expect it to be a forever condition?

You asked the right questions Flower 55, it can be very confusing. The BSD converts are happy following that regime, some of their GPs and Diabetic Educators are supporting them. We could be at the cutting edge of innovation.
    Nettle.

PS. Yesterday I read the quote ” We did what we did when we knew what we knew, now we know better.” It suits this situation. It was unattributed, if any one knows the original author let me know so I can acknowledge them.

IZZY you aways give great advice. I think of you as Bizzy-Izzy, you are assisting with many good answers.
    N.

• posted by Flower55
    on

Thanks everyone for yr comments. I had realised that BSD is the way to go but wanted opinions/answers to my question ๐Ÿ˜Š You would think that Diabetes UK would encourage the BSD if everyone is achieving such great results! Onwards & upwards ๐Ÿ‘

Please log in or register to post a reply.