What recipe uses buttermilk?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Jenny.B
    on

I’m sure I found a recipe on here, or maybe a link to a recipe, for a dessert / pudding / baking alternative that used “buttermilk”

I saw some buttermilk in the shops so bought some, now I can’t find the recipe 🙄 and I can’t remember what it was 😑

Any suggestions on what to make, or does anyone know a good recipe to use the buttermilk up?

Thanks!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Buttermilk is high in sugar at 12 grams per cup, so I don’t use it anymore. In my pre-BSD days, I used to make a killer blue cheese dressing/dip with it, and it called for 1/4 cup, so you could make something like that and use it as a dip for pork rinds, buffalo wings or even as a salad dressing. Just blend 1/4 cup buttermilk with 1/4 blue cheese, 1/4 cup mayonnaise and 1 tablespoon (about 15ml) of lemon or lime juice. Stir in one minced garlic clove, 5 grams of finely chopped chives and salt and pepper to taste.

That makes quite a thick dip. If you want to use it as a salad dressing, add a splash of chicken broth and whisk it in with a fork. Put your salad greens in a large bowl, pour, say, half the dressing on top and toss it thoroughly.

• posted by Jenny.B
    on

Thanks! I would have never thought of using it as a dip!

Please log in or register to post a reply.