What Now ? I Have reached 4.9

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Benns
    on

Hello, I started with a HbA1C of 10.7 at the end of September and through following the BSD and Exercise I am now 4.9 (this was a one off test at Lloyds Pharmacy) not a HbA1C as I am not due another test at the GPs until April. But having got here I feel very pleased but unsure what this actually means and what to do from here in terms of food etc, I guess I need to carry on doing the same thing to some extent but I don’t want to lose any more weight, do I re-introduce some of the more obvious carbs Bread, Potatoes, Rice (which I have been avoiding) or eat a bit more fruit ?
    Have I still got Diabetes ? Any help or comments would be much appreciated.

• posted by Gattina
    on

Hi Benns

Well done on getting your blood glucose down – that is a great achievement.
    I’m not an expert but here are my thoughts.

A one off test only tells you what your blood glucose is at that point in time – your HbA1c will tell you your blood glucose over the past 3 months so when you have your next blood test in April you will have a much better idea of how things stand. Your HbA1c will tell you whether you have diabetes – but be wary of words such as ‘cured’ or ‘reversed’ – I prefer to use the term ‘in remission’. The BSD diet has helped you make a significant change but if you go back to eating the same as before then you may find that your blood glucose will start to increase again.

Do you have a metre and test yourself? I find it’s useful to test at different times of the day to get an indication. As I’m changing my diet and making lifestyle changes I’m testing 3 times a day to keep a check. You can buy a metre online or from your pharmacy but the testing strips and lancets can be pricey – GPs don’t routinely prescribe them to patients with T2 unless there is a medical reason for it.

• posted by Gattina
    on

If you don’t want to lose any more weight you should increase your calories, but I suggest you keep a check on the carbs. Switch to the BSD way of life as suggested in MM’s book and some weeks on 5:2 if you find your blood glucose creeping up again.

I would also suggest a process called ‘eating to your metre’ while you’re increasing your cals/carbs – this will help you to monitor which foods you can or can’t have. This website describes the process: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/eat-to-your-meter.html

Managing diabetes is complex. If you have any questions or want me to go into more detail about anything just ask. Well done on your success so far – 4.9 is a great reading. Good luck.

• posted by Gattina
    on

Having difficulty finishing my post – so I’ll sign off.
    I would advise testing before meals and 2 hours after a meal to see which foods give you a spike. You’ll then be able to decide which foods you can and can’t eat.

Well done on getting your bg down – 4.9 is a good reading. If you want me to go into any more detail or have any questions just ask.
    good luck.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Benns yes it’s a question we all ask …. cured, reversed or in remission? A rose by any other name! I think because the idea of ‘curing’ T2 is so recent, and many doctors don’t believe it’s possible, then I have to agree with Gattina, ‘remission’ is as good a word as any.

It seems to be the carbs that cause blood sugar spikes so to go back to refined, simple carbs will only send your blood sugar soaring again. Have a look at the article below which is written by Professor Taylor and a colleague. Not only does it talk about transition and maintenance but if you look at the diet itself, and the recipes, you will find it’s less stringent than the 800/30 that most of seem to follow here. So it may just ease you back into a ‘new norm’.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5348281/How-beat-diabetes-12-weeks.html

Also have a look at the ‘maintainers’ thread, just search in the box above. Whilst not all of the posters have /had T2 there are plenty of strategies for not regaining weight.

You dont say if you are taking any medication but if you were only diagnosed last September and are without medication then you can legitimately ask your GP for an HbA1c now. The usual practice is to give a newly diagnosed patient three months to control their blood sugar by diet alone. If that’s true in your case then you can be retested now. Just insist. If you are taking medication then still ask to be retested.

Well done on a great result!

• posted by Benns
    on

Thank you for your reply and advice, I am not on medication and have had one blood test since the original diagnosis, I started at 10.7 Hba1C and last test was 7.5 Hba1C, but I was impatient and that is why I went to Lloyds Pharmacy. I am going to read the maintainers threads now to see what I can pick up.

• posted by Benns
    on

Hi, thanks for the helpful advice. I don’t have a meter but have been thinking about getting one, although the diabetic nurse at the GP’s said not to as I would just get a sore finger !
    I didn’t realise that some foods might cause my BS to spike and that it was such an individual thing, I just thought all sweet and carby foods would do it, so I think a meter could be the way to go.

• posted by Verano
    on

Benns I have to agree with your nurse. Unless you are using insulin then I personally believe, and this is just my gut feeling only, that because blood sugar is so very sensitive, that finger pricking doesn’t really tell you a lot. My guess would be that the only way you would be able to make a good comparison would be if you ate and drank exactly the same things, in the same amounts each day, and tested at exactly the same times each day.

You don’t say if you had lots or a little to lose. Also, how low carb are you staying? It would definitely seem that it’s the carbs that cause the problem and it is possible to stay fairly low calorie, but still be fairly high in carbs. Do you count carbs and weigh your food?

Your HbA1c is improving but as it measures blood glucose over the previous 8 to 12 weeks there’s not much point in having another one too soon. In truth the HbA1c is really the best indicator.

• posted by Gattina
    on

I disagree with Verano – I think it’s useful to keep a check on blood glucose during the day as it does let you know if certain foods will give you a spike. You will be able to tell if your blood goes up consistently each time you eat it. I imagine neither point of view is right or wrong so you may have to make up your own mind. I find that monitoring it regularly helps keep me on track and useful while I’m making changes. This website is helpful: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/eat-to-your-meter.html

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

if you are going to use a glucose meter it is not worth measuring after every meal as it will only tell you that you have eaten. One day you might have bread, measure and have xx reading, eat the same thing another day and your reading could be totally different. So if you are going to check forget about mealtimes and check first thing in the morning when you have gone 8 or more hours without food. That will almost be a fasting BG. My only reason for checking is so I can adjust my insulin as my results go down but you are medication free so will not be able to make adjustments. One thing for sure is that carbs will raise your BG as will sugar so that should be the last thing you start to reintroduce into your diet. Maybe just increase the calories a bit.

• posted by Benns
    on

Your reply makes sense, thanks. I have decided just to eat a little more just not sugar or carbs to stable my weight loss and not buy a meter for now anyway, I may in the future, but am concerned I could get a little paranoid as I am with weighing myself !

Please log in or register to post a reply.