What music gets you to move it?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by jpscloud
    on

Ok so I’ve recently rediscovered iTunes, and downloaded a few of my old favourites. I came across some daft tunes that I’m kind of embarrassed to admit I like, but they make me want to shake my big fat bum. And that’s a good thing, whether I’m doing housework or on the treadmill! So I’m going to confess… here’s a few that get me up out of my chair:

Big bad wolf (Duck Sauce, from the TV ad) – I can’t dance like the hero on the ad, but who’s watchin’?
    I like to move it (Madagascar) sorry, I know. I do like some classy stuff too.
    I’m on my way (Proclaimers)
    Road to nowhere (Talking Heads)
    You can call me Al (Paul Simon)
    Various reggae tracks
    A couple of didgeridoo/drum fusion tracks

Picture a large middle aged woman shakin’ her not-insubstantial thang to that lot. Or not, if you don’t want to be put off your dinner!!

What makes your monkey jump? Come on, confess!

• posted by malkay
    on

I just can’t NOT dance to Gloria Gaynor – I Will Survive! Just can’t move as well or as fast to it as when I was 16. But if I carry on with the diet, who knows??

• posted by jpscloud
    on

Ooh good suggestion! At my age I’ve forgotten more good tracks than I remember. Must dig around in the 70s stuff a bit more.

• posted by malkay
    on

Do Anything you Wanna do (Eddie and the Hotrods)
    I Only Wanna be with you (The Tourists or Dusty)
    Anything by Dexys…
    Ditto Earth, Wind and Fire….

Showing my age, but could go on………
    None of these are actually my music of choice, but are what get me moving!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

My must move-to selection would include:

I wanna dance with somebody – Whitney
    Hi-ho silver lining – Jeff Beck
    Let’s dance – David Bowie
    Radar love – Golden Earring
    Don’t stop me now – Queen

And many more. It’s fun to get up and move to music – must do that more often!

• posted by jpscloud
    on

It is fun – I managed to do about an hour (a few minutes at a time) on my treadmill and I even managed a kind of jog yesterday listening to my embarrassing music! It’s a good thing no one sees me doing this 🙂

I was just really surprised at how certain types of music… like malkay says, not ones I would deliberately put on to listen to, but ones that just make me jiggle about when I hear them – can affect how long and how vigorously I can exercise. I used to watch TV while on the treadmill but found that I lost motivation and interest very quickly. The power of music eh?

Please log in or register to post a reply.