Well, that was interesting!!!!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Visited diabetes nurse this morning, and have just about calmed down.

She’s always been really supportive about BSD and is impressed with my results – evidence!!!

Today she had a nurse with her who is joining the practice so I explained this plan to the newbie. Of course, I got excited! Then she took my BP, which was slightly up on last time – hardly surprising!!!

Then it started. The newbie put a bit of a damper on things. Well, quite a big damper. And they started saying that they didn’t know if thus was sustainable long-term!!! Aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

When I mentioned this site and the FB group, all the evidence we’re gathering, eyes started to glaze over.

Ok I was enuthiastic. But we are proof it works.

All I can hope is that nice supportive nurse is back next time I go. Thought my HbA1c due March, but it’s April, so that and next visit to diabetes nurse mid-April. Should have calmed down properly by then!!!!!

With more evidence collated. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ We’ll show them this plan is sustainable!!!!’

Sorry for the rant but it got to me this morning.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

I’m afraid at the moment Lynne we just have to go with the flow as far as the medical profession is concerned.
    There are doctors and nurses out there who are supportive of this plan, mine among them, but there are many who will always go by the book and unfortunately, the current issue is wrong!
    It must be so frustrating to have a doctor or nurse who tries to talk you out of a lifestyle that you have proven to make you healthier.
    As I said, the book is wrong, it needs rewritten, and we are providing the data for that, if anyone cares to take notice.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks Bill. I knew I could rely on you to talk some sense into me.

In a very different context this afternoon I was reminded of revolutionaries. And that is what we are, low-carb revolutionaries turning against a specific status quo.

I wasn’t doing it for them anyway, but for me. If they don’t want to go with the flow, that’s fine. I’ll just carry on without them, except for routine checks. Won’t be the first time I’ve done something despite someone, rather than with them!

Wonder who is going to re-write the book, with all our evidence?

Thanks again.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi captainlynne

You are allowed to blow a fuse – but watch your BP!
    Had my visit with the nurse this am. Best BP I’ve ever had! She listened, will look up BSD etc & seemed interested. All to my surprise. I also gave her the printed GP notes , as per book, from Prof Roy Taylor. My instructions to read & file the notes, & my diet history (4 weeks)’ so far were written on the back. I also wrote WHY are T2 ‘s given instructions to eat HIGH carb diets when our insulin production/ performance is so compromised? I will want to know why, if this is not in my notes when I visit again.

At this point in time , I am the one that knows the most about my Diabetes. I have researched , read & listened to everything I can on the subject. I have a library of books by eminent dr’s. The people that resonate with me the most, & the ones I trust by instinct & reason are Pro Roy Taylor & Dr Michael Mosley. They echo what I KNOW about ME

So, with or without nhs blessing, this is my path now & I’ll tread it til I die. I hope that can now be a long healthy time away. And I want to be here to see the sea change in treatment for Type 2 Diabetics

Keep the faith, as you have been doing
    Eureka

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Eureka

Thanks. Calmed down now. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ I’m used to negativity, it was the about-face that got to me.

As you say, I know what suits my body. And it is this, so this us what I will be doing and if they don’t like it ………!

Even if they can’t trust respected professionals, I do. This gelled with me instantly.

I have a few challenges coming up, but have now had a long time to get used to this way of eating. It’s a habit now and I can’t believe how much I used to eat. Especially carbs ๐Ÿ˜ฑ No place in my house for them now.

I want to be healthy, and around to see my twin granddaughters grow up (and they are only 8). This is the way forward for me ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

So, line drawn.

Onward!!!!!!!!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi captainlynne the about face is astonishing! Perhaps the rest of us need to be prepared for a supportive nurse to ‘be got at’ by other health ‘professionals’. In the end they WILL have to take notice because this IS going to be sustainable and our improved health will speak loud and clear for us.

Like you, this is my path until the day I die. No going back. No retreat. Onward!!!!! Onward!!!!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Hashimoto.

Suppose we should feel sorry for them. They just don’t realise the mighty force massing, gathering evidence, taking responsibility for our own health, saving the NHS money, avoiding hospital admissions.

Talking of evidence – the more of us stick with this, recording our progress, the better chance we have of someone taking notice. I’ve always tended to treat myself as my own lab rat, finding out what works and this is no different.

I record what I eat in a notebook, together with fasting bloods, weight, BMI, measurements and anything else I think of. The nurse records BP in it as well.

Being on here is a great help too, so many thanks to everyone.

As you said – no going back. This mighty force does not retreat. Onward!!!!!!!!!

Marches off waving the low-carb flag!!!!!!!!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi lynne, great minds! I record everything i eat in a notebook too, and record all data like calories, steps walked, weight, body fat percentage, bmi on an excel spreadsheet then i can take print out to drs with me. My asthma nurse liked it. – especially the colour coding. When i see dr on 18th i will ask for print out to be added to my notes.

I think i will actually say to dr that if all the diabetic patients in the practice were encouraged to follow this the practice could run it’s own mini study. Sadly, as we have both been told, some people are just happy to take tablets..

I love the image of marching witb low carb flag! :). ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Hashimoto. Might try that on Excel when I get back from holiday next weekend. Not too familiar with it though, so might take me a while to get my head round it. Like the idea of taking print out to the GP ๐Ÿ˜ƒ. If I can ever get my tablet, netbook laptop (all or any) talking to the printer again. At the moment it looks like I need a new printer ๐Ÿ˜ฑ Again, when I get home!

I do wonder how much the nurse has reported back to the doctor! Just hoping the new nurse is not going to be a diabetes nurse!

Glad you like the image of marching on with the flag. Folk don’t realise that when they push my back against the wall I might wobble for a minute or two, but then I come out fighting. They learn ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Lynne, you sound just like me lol ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by MaryR
    on

Reading all your posts, one thing that strikes me is that if you had gone along to your unsupportive GPs and nurses, and not told them what you were doing, letting them think you were following their advice, they would be heartily congratulating you, not wagging their fingers! We are responsible for our own health and wellbeing, and we alone are in control of what we eat and drink. No one can force us to stop this diet and follow what we know doesn’t work just because the received wisdom say so! I do realise that I am lucky in not being diabetic or prediabetic, (as far as I know, anyway) and that it may not be that simple for those already on medication, nevertheless, no doctor or nurse can make you do anything you don’t want to do!
    Seeing the success everyone is having following this programme is truly inspiring.
    I was at a speakers club meeting this week, and someone was asked to speak about the book that has had most impact on their life- and guess which book he chose- he has just started. I suggested he join the forums!
    MaryR

• posted by captainlynne
    on

True MaryR. But if we let them think we are following their advice, things will never change.

The best thing we can do is stick with the plan and record everything. When the medical professionals ask how we’ve done it (and they will) we can show them. They will then be able to see from our records that the official advice was not working for us, but this is.

It might be a slow process, changing the system, but if we persist it will come.

Until then, we keep on doing what we are doing. Often despite the system rather than with it.

Perhaps even more important then showing fantastic results in 8 weeks, we need to show that the benefits are sustainable long-term. That was the issue with the doubter yesterday. Seemed to be saying ‘that’s good, but it won’t last’.

If nothing else, when the GP practices notice a difference in the amount spent on drugs for diabetics they may just start to wonder what is happening.

Well done on pointing someone to this forum ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by FoFi
    on

MaryR you must have some sympathy for the medical profession. They seem to be wrong this time, but they spend their lives fixing problems made worse because people followed some advice on MumsNet or a magazine rather than finish a course of medicine that would have cured the problem straight away.

I know of so many people who have given up on a short term course of medicine which might well have cured the problem because they read somewhere that it was bad for them. I could never be a GP.

• posted by MaryR
    on

Absolutely right, captainlynne- demonstrate the the proof – and that will take determination and persistence. I did not mean never tell them- just wait until you have proved it works for you, and then go on to show that it is sustainable. If enough do this, opinion must change, and the initial evidence is already there, from Professor Taylor and the Newcastle group, and others. And yes, if they see their drug costs reducing, they will like that!

Fofi, I do have complete sympathy with the medical profession- I was part of it. before I retired. They are between a rock and a hard place, with NICE guidelines to adhere to, imposed targets to meet, and an ever increasing regulatory workload. But I don’t have sympathy with those who are blinkered, think they do know everything, and won’t listen!

Please log in or register to post a reply.