Weight static for 5 days

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by kilwinny
    on

I have been keeping my carbs below 50g a day and have managed to adapt quite well to a more med style diet. I have resisted chocolate bars, biscuits and icecream (all of which has been waved under my nose at work by well meaning colleagues!)

I am on day 19 and have lost 9lbs. I did have one day where I was actually down 11lbs but that changed the next day. You might think that 9lbs loss is really good. I would too but I have been the same wt for the last 5 days. I have 8 – 10st to lose so losing 9lbs for me is a dip in the ocean. ๐Ÿ™

On the good side my fasting blood sugar has gone from 11.8 on day 1 to 8.1 at its lowest.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had a spell where they stayed the same wt for a few days. If yes, did a change in what was eaten help kick start the loss again?

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Kilwinny
    Same thing is happening to me.
    I lost 4.6kg in my first week, then only 0.9kg in my second week. I’m following the guidelines to the letter and today is day 7 of week three and I’ve been jumping on the scales every day to keep an eye on things, but the scales don’t seem to be moving, either way. Tomorrow is my official weigh in day, so I’ll post again tomorrow and let you know.
    I’ve been reading everyone’s posts and I just know this is going to work so I’m just going to be patient. I’m drinking enough water, doing at least 10,000 steps a day and keeping track of my calories, protein, fats and carbs.
    In saying this, my clothes are feeling looser and I ‘feel’ lighter. I’ve decided that this is now my new life and although it’s frustrating that the weight is not falling off like some of the others, I’m just going to remain patient and have faith that this will work. I’m not diabetic nor predisposed to it, so I’m not checking my sugar levels.
    Keep going, it will happen. Let us know how you go.๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by kilwinny
    on

Hi Linda,
    Well the static phase has shifted at last.
    I’m now 11lbs down in 3 weeks. I decided to relax a little and actually ate out with a friend yesterday. I ate a gorgeous burger in a brioche bun and sweet potato chips. I savoured every mouthful! I didn’t need to eat for the rest of the day, so that’ll be why I didn’t put on any weight! ๐Ÿ˜‰
    I hope your efforts have been rewarded by a loss on the scales.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Kilwinny
    I lost 1.5kg at the end of week 3, I’ll take that! So 7kg down in 3 weeks.
    I’m too afraid to eat something as yummy as that for fear of undoing all my good work, but if you got away with it, then good luck to you!
    Good luck at your next weigh in.๐Ÿ˜€
    Linda

• posted by kilwinny
    on

Hi Linda, that’s a great loss.Well done.
    My blood sugar was down to 7.4 today. That’s an all time low for me, so I am really happy today.
    I won’t make a habit of eating out but I think we all need a break sometimes. It has worked for me in the past (I’ve tried all the main dieting clubs over the past 30 something years!).
    I’m going to re read the book today and tweak my diet again.
    Good luck for this week.
    Lisa

• posted by LindaA
    on

Thanks Lisa
    I’ve got a dinner to go to this Friday night, but fortunately it’s at a steak restaurant, so steak and salad it will be!!
    I do find re reading both the book and the forums really keep me motivated.
    Have a great week!!
    Linda

• posted by kilwinny
    on

Ok, now officially really fed up.
    I have gone from eating bars of chocolate, piles of toast and all things Carb to eating very little carbs and reducing my calorie intake to half of my pre BSD lifestyle but my weight isn’t shifting ๐Ÿ™

I eat far more veg than I ever used to, I like salads and actually chose to buy a salad from the supermarket at the services yesterday when the rest of the family had KFC! I thought I’d better not ‘go off plan’ and undo all my good work. Now I wish I had eaten a massive bucket of KFC!!!

I have spent hours trawling through recipes to find meals I can make for the whole family. I have shopped for food online so I am not tempted to buy those ‘special offers’ the supermarkets put at the end of the aisles. I have even bought a step monitor and tried to increase my daily steps/activity (gardening today, not steps but lots of energy used).

I feel like going totally off plan and starting again another day.

Help, I need a good talking to!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Weighing aside, how are you feeling in yourself and how are your clothes fitting, kilwinny?

I felt very discouraged with lack of weight loss on the scales, but I could feel my trousers looser and I swear my face looked thinner.
    There’s one pair of trousers which are a good inch and a half looser than they were a week ago!

I have been theorising that perhaps the fat is going from around our internal organs, and picturing that melting away does keep me going!

Don’t give up, you will do it, and lots of people here have had plateaux where the weight didn’t shift. But if you are following the diet, it will eventually.

I’ve found logging my food on My Fitness Pal worked for me…..lowering the carbs made a difference.

Good luck, your persistence WILL pay off!

• posted by bumblebee
    on

Oh I like this thread…going to be quiet and read/listen/absorb for now! thanks all

• posted by kilwinny
    on

Hi Igorasusal,
    My waist measurement has gone down a little and some of my clothes do feel looser. I have felt a little grotty the las few days. Not sure why.
    Hopefully I will manage to lose a couple of lbs this week. I do log my food on My Fitness Pal. It is a great help. I can manage lower carbs, it’s the calories I’m having difficulty reducing to 800.
    I will report in as soon as those bloomin’ scales show a favourable weight!

Hi Bumblebee, welcome to my moan post!
    ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by bumblebee
    on

Hi Kilwinny,

thanks for the welcome – I’m in the mood for a moan today, weighed myself and yesterday was so so so so good but today I get on the scale and I’ve put on 400grams. Was so upset I kept weighing myself thinking best of 3 – best of 5 – best of 7 – best of 10…..nothing changed. How is it the day I really am so so good and even go under caloric intake I put on weight ๐Ÿ™

• posted by Choices
    on

Hello All

I require some help! I’ve completed the 8 week diet, had 3 stones to loss. I lost about 1.5 stone in the first 5 weeks and since then nothing, completely static. The diet has not changed or the level of exercise, I’m continuing with the diet. Feeling really demotivated, as I was hoping to have lost at least another 10lb by the end of 8 weeks, I am now on week 10. The body measurements have not changed.

Any suggestions how I can kick start the weight loss? Any advice will be welcomed. Thanks

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Please don’t despair – every one is an individual, and (though it’s hard) you shouldn’t compare yourself with anyone else. You don’t say how your measurements have been doing – hope you measured/kept track via garments, because sometimes weight plateaus whilst measurements continue to go down.

Some thoughts
    – are you counting your carbs as well as calories? Keeping carbs under 50g per day (lower can also be achieved) sometimes kick-starts weight lost.
    – you could try having a few days of higher calories (say up to 1200), sometimes some people find that a bit of a change stimulates the response
    – increase the water intake even further, to give your body a chance to wash away the fat.

Many people here have had long plateaux but gone on to lose more weight.

Hope that helps

• posted by Amiyo
    on

Hello everyone,

Brand new here and been 3 1/2 weeks on the 8 week diet at 600 kcal/day. feeling very low/depressed/frustrated as I have lost a total of… 1kg!
    I am lucky to have no blood sugar problems, but really need to lose some weight. My diet has always been very mediterranean so this is only a change in the sense that I have eliminated carbs and sugar (always loved both and had them often). Being a quite petite woman I have always eaten in small quantities. My husband and children have always said I eat like a bird: now with the seeds I’ve added to my diet I really AM eating like a bird :-))
    I exercise regularly (go to the gym everyday, go sailing, keep active doing the day and love walking) although I used to not move much due to a pretty sedentary job.
    The first couple of weeks were a bit tough re resisting temptations but now I’m in the groove and actually choose or even “crave” the right kinds of healthy nutritious light foods I’m supposed to have. I’ve even found some foods too sweet! Unheard of.

It doesn’t make any sense and my husband and children closely monitor what I eat and my activity levels so I can’t cheat. They can’t understand this either.

Has anyone here had a similar experience? Any idea what is wrong with me? Why can’t I lose any weight?
    Thanks for any comment or help

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Amiyo

Have a look at the following site.
    Enter your details, give info re activity levels, estimate your body fat.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

Then see what happens if you lower your carb grams per day. Whilst you are eating Mediterranean/BSD you may still be having quite a high carb load.

I didn’t have a lot to lose and set carbs at 20g per day (tricky but do-able).
    See my thread “not too much to lose but…” by searching top right, or check through my Username.

This may be the key for you. I was very successful, by the way.

Hope that helps ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Choices
    on

Igor

Thank you for your advice. I will try that and yes I have checked my measurements, not changed. ๐Ÿ˜•

• posted by Robion
    on

Hi folks, I have a different problem. I lost approx 20kg on this diet and knocked off some diabetes tablets, a blood pressure tablet and statins. I kept up the programme for quite a number of weeks after the 8 weeks. At the moment in one week, keeping to 60g carbs and approx 900 calories I have put 1 kg on!! My fasting blood sugars have also raised. It’s as if, whilst everyone else is remaining static, I am actually gaining.
    Any ideas?

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

If all you’ve done is increased the calorie count by 100, and kept the carbs relatively low, I’d say that this was just a blip.

Could be to do with state of your body in terms of water, or poo (sorry), or a number of other things. Have you also been exercising and therefore building muscle?

Whatever, I shouldn’t panic, but keep on keeping on and see what happens over the next few days/week.

Our bodies are very mysterious.

• posted by Janeycoughdrop
    on

Hi all, don’t despair, a LOT of people report a plateau after the first couple of weeks. It will kickstart again, promise! If your waist size is decreasing (and I bet it is) then you are on the right track.

And remember, you’re not doing a ‘quick fix’, you’re in it for the longhaul and to feel healthier, not just slimmer!

• posted by Frog
    on

Robion
    I frequently get phases like this – lose a bit but a kilo back on, lose that and a bit more, stay static – occasionally I can put it down to going over on cals or carbs, but I can equally have a ‘going over’ day and lose a lot, or a ‘compliant’ day and go up.
    Are you weighing daily or weekly? whichever it is, I wouldn’t start panicking yet.

I don’t measure my blood at home, only HBa1c occasionally, so can’t comment in fluctuations in that or otherwise

• posted by piglet2016
    on

Thanks for the encouragement! I was so disappointed after doing so well the first month. I cheated last night and didn’t even like it. Back on it today….but I use protein shakes and protein bars quite a bit…better start on food. My book hasn’t arrived yet. So I will take recipes for now.

• posted by Robion
    on

Thanks for all your replies it’s good to get encouragement.

Please log in or register to post a reply.