Weight loss results

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Tamara l
    on

Hi I’m new here and would like to know how much ppl lost in the first month.
    Just curious.
    I know everyone loses at different rates

Thanks in advance

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Hi Tamara and welcome to BSD. I started in January 2917 and I lost 12.5 lb in the first four weeks, the first week I lost 4.5 lb, the second week I lost 4lb, week three I lost 1lb and week four I lost 3.5 lb.

Everyone loses weight at different rates and it probably depends on how much you have to lose. I lost a total of 45 lb in 9 months but there are many people on here who lost a lot more.

My advice is not to compare your weight loss to others. Some lose quickly but I was a really slow loser after the first few week. Start this way of eating WOE and know that it will work. The best thing about BSD is that after a little while you just don’t feel hungry.

Good luck on your BSD journey. There is a lot of people to advise you on the forum. Take a look about and welcome to the start of a new you.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I really do think what is so liberating with this WoE is that it is not so focussed on scales. I started on 6 Jan and have discarded 7 kgs – but also inches, round bust and hips and bottom which the “weight loss” doesn’t really reflect – and all that without completely kicking into the long grass my liking for wine on some days …But I no longer have achy hips and just feel so much better. It is a long term thing, and i do not feel in any way that I am missing out on the carb fests of yore. I was a consistent size 10 until menopause abt 7 years ago; then….But you will also read of consistent 1 stone a month losses. But I would say, this is the long game. And all the better for it.

• posted by Tamara l
    on

Did any of you exercise?
    If so how much

Thanks

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Is this a survey? No I am not exercising, but trying to get into regular tea towel pom pom 10 mins.

• posted by Tamara l
    on

Just interested to see the different results ppl have had on this lifestyle.
    I’m new to this program

on

Tamara, tell us a little bit about you and your reasons for starting BSD. Are you a diabetic trying to reverse your diabetes or are you just wishing to lose weight and if so, how much?

• posted by Tamara l
    on

Yes I’m type 2
    I’d like to lose about 50 pounds
    I’m 5/1 in height and weigh 181 pounds. Obese
    Would like to get to around 125

I was 115 years ago but was told I looked unhealthy
    I’m also 52 years old

I’m a severe carb addict , which is not good.
    I’ve tried Atkins, but 20 carbs is way too restrictive for me.
    I found this site and found most of you are doing 50 carbs or under.
    To me that’s sounds easier

I don’t like most veggies except the ones I can’t have. Lol
    It’s hard getting used to this though
    Example bacon has zero carbs but 260 calories for two slices.

Have been doing this for two days now and am not even getting 500 calories a day.

I’d appreciate any advice you can give

Thanks

• posted by Tamara l
    on

I was drinking a lot of Diet Coke as well
    So now I have two glasses in the morning( my caffeine) I don’t like coffee or tea
    Then I drink about 16, 8 oz glasses of water through out the day.
    I drink a lot. Lol

on

When I started I was obese and weighed 175 lb. I started by cutting out bread, rice, pasta, potatoes and just kept low carb. I am a strict vegetarian. I did the first 8 weeks and lost 17.5 lb and then just carried on until I got to my goal weight. I did little to no exercise as I have a slight disability due to having a rumour removed off my femoral nerve many years ago so am limited. I did the walk at home videos on YouTube occasionally. You will see from reading the forum that this way of eating has worked for a lot of us. I am not a diabetic but believe myself to be insulin resistant. The diets I tried prior to BSD just did not work for me but this one certainly did. Have you got a copy of the book and/or the recipe book? Give it a go and see how you do? Good luck on your journey.

• posted by Tamara l
    on

Thank you

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Tamara, what or is not “obese” according to random points should really not worry you . It is just that, random. I know, at 57, that the lower end of the “ideal” NHS BMI for me would just be silly. What veggies do you like, and what do you eat bacon with? I too want to learn more about balancing low carb/sensible calorie, but there are many on here who can help both of us. Please don’t beat yourself up – both this WoE and this forum are wonderfully understanding! and educational.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I’m really concerned that 175 lbs counts as “obese”. Look at yourselves, you know you are not! And to my mind, you have to go way, way, way, up before what is an unhelpful label might apply. There should be no self-shaming here!

• posted by Tamara l
    on

I don’t eat the bacon as it has too many calories
    The veggies I like that I can eat are
    Lettuce, cucumber, coloured peppers,celery
    That’s about it

Love corn and peas but can’t have them.
    Here’s what I ate today, it’s around 5 pm here

11 am. One whole egg and one egg white total cals 102
    1.30 pm French onion soup 180 calories and 12 carbs
    5pm 80g orange pepper 80 calories
    One chicken breast 100 calories
    50g lettuce 7 calories
    A bit of cucumber 5 calories
    Pinch of cheese 25 calories
    One tbsp dressing 30 calories

• posted by Tamara l
    on

According to everything I read,, I am considered obese
    I’m only 5.1 in height and 181 pounds

on

According to the NHS BMI calculator when I started in January 2017 at 175 lb my BMI was 34.3 putting me in the obese category.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Tamara, ignore the obese or any other labels. Do you like spinach, courgette, bit of red cabbage as a crunchy salad? and avocado? olive oli? and salmon or a nice piece of cod loin? Plus full fat yog? Do look at the recipes, and also “Diet Doctor”, who many recommend. xx

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

The NHS BMI calculator has also apparently put lots of primary school age children into the “obese” category.

• posted by Sandy13
    on

Hi everyone, I followed this diet last year and lost 2 stone but, unfortunately, put 1 back on in the second half of the year.
    I started again on 4th February and lost 9.5lbs in the first week but have put weight on since then.
    I keep within 20 carbs a day but don’t count calories. I drink about 2 litres of water a day plus tea. I’m very downhearted as I know it should work and can’t figure out what to do next! Am almost on the point of giving up! Help!

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Sandy
    Please don’t be downhearted – you’re back on here and giving it another good go, and that’s something to be admired!

I did the same as you. I lost a lot of weight (almost 6 stone) and then slowly put 2 stone back on. I think there are a few of us on here for the second or third time. Like you, I’ve found it much harder this time round. I’ve not had any big loss like I did the first time and the slow climb back onto the BSD woe is really frustrating.

But, on the positive side, we’ve both been successful on BSD, so we’ve got the knowledge and skills to lose the weight – we know we can do it, because we’ve done it!! We also both know how great we’ll feel when we get back to where we were – better health, better skin, great fitting clothes etc.

The ONLY thing we’ve slipped up with is the second part – learning how to maintain – and now we know that we’ll be better prepared for that, too! (And, I’ll be shouting out for help at that point)

As you say you don’t count calories, I’m guessing you didn’t count calories last time – you might need to count calories for a while just to kick start the weight loss again. Take a deep breath in and keep going – you’ll get there, we both will!

Take care. xx
    Jennie

• posted by Sandy13
    on

Thanks Jennie, it’s nice to know I’m not the only one going through this! I will keep at it, just a little harder than I have been & will look at my notes from last year, when I started, and go from there.

Thank you for your support.

• posted by TaytoP
    on

Hi Tamara, I am a little bit like you in some ways. In my 50s, was just under your weight, total carb addict, and have Type 2 diabetes. One big difference though is I love all vegetables and have been eating lots.
    Anyway in 8 weeks I have lost 10kg (22lb). The best thing is my blood sugar is consistently in the non diabetic range. I went cold turkey on carbs and stopped craving them all the time within the first week. So that’s the second best thing, I no longer constantly crave carbs. I have only 5kg to go to get to the top of the supposed healthy weight range.
    The way I have tailored the WOE to work for me is very individual. I eat only after 12pm, so 2 meals a day. I typically eat quite decent size meals, 400-500 cal each. Usually I don’t snack, unless I am feeling starving. I eat a lot of vegetables and large salads are my mainstay. I have recently introduced 1 piece of fruit a day. I eat fish, chicken, eggs or dairy with my veges. I do include moderate carb veges like carrots, onions and pumpkin. I don’t have any alcohol. And like you I have a bit of diet cola because I appreciate the caffeine.
    I think you need to customize the plan to fit your needs. But the low carb, low cal, eat less often approach has helped me kick carb addiction, banished “hanger” and best of all has my diabetes well under control. Which was my big reason for doing it.
    I want to continue for another 5kg, but may reintroduce some breakfast abd slow down a bit soon.
    Oh, I also exercise. It does wonders for my blood sugar. Gym, swimming, or walking, several times a week.
    Good luck!

• posted by aaron
    on

I tried simple methods such as exercising, cutting down carbs & increasing protein intake. Along with this, I tried adding Super MIC B12 which was really a good experiment in terms of weight loss & energy. I lost for about 7 pounds in just a few weeks, I exercised for about 4 times a week and found out that it has incredibly helped me to maintain my weight and kept me motivated to lose weight. I would definitely keep doing these simple things to achieve great weight loss results.

• posted by Calliope Swan
    on

Hi there,
    Old topic I know, but just adding my results as I know how much I wanted this information when I started.
    I lost 6kg in the first month, 10.2kg after 8 weeks – still going. (Started at 86.2kg (BMI 31.9)
    Hubby lost 9.5kg in first month, 13kg in 6 weeks – maintaining from then. (Started at 102.7kg, BMI 28.5)
    Weekly losses: Me. Hubby
    Wk 1: 3kg 4.8kg
    Wk 2: 1.3kg 2.1kg
    Wk 3: 0.8kg 1kg
    Wk 4: 0.9kg 1.6kg
    Wk 5: 1.1kg 1.5kg
    Wk 6: 1.6kg 2kg
    Wk 7: 0.9kg plus 0.7kg
    Wk 8: 0.6kg 1.1kg

Hubby stopped after 6 wks and started transition to more calories (after one big Indian celebration meal!), and is still down 0.4kg over the last 2 weeks. My goal weight is 62kg (BMI 23), so planning to stay on this until then.
    This is the most weight I have ever lost, and the most rapidly. Stick with it, it works.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Such great results Calliope!πŸ₯‡πŸŽˆ You’ve really done well in lockdown and really nailed it.
    I’m in Melbourne too – and focusing on maintaining a balance during lockdown (I changed to LCHF way of eating in Apr 2019 ). I have gained a couple of kilos back, and there have been some days (or more) when this long lockdown has lead to cheese and wine and dark chocolate 🍷 – but I am mainly LCHF. I really do feel so much better with this way of eating (far less inflammation) Just keeping the balance between body health and mental health – and not being strict on myself. So when we do get to go out (early Nov??) then I hopefully won’t have much in the way of covid kilos 😁 to discard. Can’t wait πŸ’ƒπŸƒβ€β™‚οΈπŸ€Έβ€β™€οΈ
    All the best to you and your hubby! Yes – stick with it!!
    Merry

Please log in or register to post a reply.