Weight loss at stand still – typical for week three?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by GangreneHeart
    on

Hey. I have been doing fast 800 for about three weeks and I noticed that around Monday, my weight stopped going down. I’m eating an average of 45 grams of carbs a day and I stick to my diet pretty well. The only thing I changed a was that I started doing a fitness blender program to incorporate strength training last week. Could that be the reason? Should I stick with cardio for now?

I started around 187. I’m now 174. My goal is 150 (maybe lower depending…). Thanks for any replies in advance

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi GangreneHeart,

When you first cut down on the carbs you will see a better than average weight loss because your body is getting rid of some of the water stored. – After that stage there are a number of factors to consider.
    1. On average 3500 calories equals 1lb of fat. – So monitoring macros and calories can be important to manage expectations.
    2. Weight loss isn’t linear, the body doesn’t use the fat out of a single cell at a time, It takes a little fat out of a number of cells replacing the fat with water. It is only when all the fat is used out of a cell that the water is released and the cell collapses – search for the whoosh effect.
    3. If you are increasing your activity levels you may be increasing muscle, so your weight will stay the same but your inches will change as muscle is denser than fat so a lb of muscle takes up less space than a lb of fat. (and not necessarily the waist & hip measurements, a lot of us have seen changes to our arms and legs before changes to our spare tyres.)
    4. I would recommend joining either the weekly challenge or 4 weekly challenge thread on the forum. On both people set themselves targets for the challenge and you will find a mixture of experienced BSDers and newcomers sharing their stories and hints and tips. – There are no moderators on this forum, and most people tend to just read threads they are signed up to, so you are more likely to get a wider range of views if you post any questions on one of the two challenges.
    5.. Finally I would recommend looking at some of the links to podcasts on the Take a look at this thread, particularly those by Dr Bikman, or Dr Fung, or read the book Why we get fat and what to do about it by Gary Taubes. to understand the importance of getting your insulin levels down enough so that your body can access your fat stores. – Some of us who have been eating lots of carbs for a long have become Insulin Resistant, and find that a daily limit of 20g of carbs is the magic figure for regular weight loss.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi GH, some people find that they hit a brick wall and this happens typically around week 3. It is as if your body notices you are losing weight and decides to try to hang onto it. Our bodies are still quite primitive in their responses to our environment, food, exercise etc and constantly tries to maintain the status quo as that is what it feels comfortable. Plough through the next week and you will start to see losses again. Now is not the time to give up.

Please log in or register to post a reply.