'Weigh in' thread

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Wow Orchid!! Fab results, you must be on cloud 9 and so proud. Congratulations on your great achievement – enjoy it!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Well done Orchid πŸ˜ƒπŸ’

Ay caramba – like you I’ve had very few smaller clothes to fit into. When I started this I made the mistake of buying too many smaller clothes in the size I’d reached, but they soon became too big. I’ve learned I just need to buy a few things in the next size down until I stabilise in whatever size I finish up in. Could be 10/12 or 12/14, depending on what shrinks most in next few weeks – and which shop!

I have taken in skirts and trousers but not been brave enough to alter tops – yet! I’ve one I love so might just try with that one – or practice on one I’m not fond of!

• posted by Weissdorn
    on

I know this sounds incredible, but I’ve lost over 6 kg so far (13 lbs) and I haven’t even finished my 1st week. (Start 128 kg – Day 4: 122 kg)

However, I suspect that I have NOT lost 6 kg in fat, but rather, my body no longer has such extreme water retention. Until I started the BSD my knees would regularly bloat to the size of footballs every night. That has stopped. So I think that it’s my water household adjusting. That might be because of the extreme carb reduction.

• posted by Bubblesdevere
    on

Wow Weissdorn, that is fantastic, and yes, a lot of the first week will be water but since I have been on this plan my feet no longer blow up like beach balls and I too had a dramatic loss in the first few weeks, Im on week 9 (Doing the med version) and have lost 18kg the last couple of weeks have not been dramatic but still going in the right direction. I can’t get my carbs down to 50gms a day though, but as I am still losing well, I am not too worried. I have a huge amount to lose, I am 127 kg at the moment! Good luck and look forward to seeing your losses, which will be plentiful! XX

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Wow I suspect you are delighted, your health is already improving, for your knees not to have all that oedema excellent. Delighted for you keep us posted.😊😊😊

• posted by oldbluejeans
    on

such inspiration on this thread and 8 days ago I was ready to chuck the whole thing as it seemed to be so much work for such little reward but hey-ho – all of a sudden the weight has started going down again. I’m nearly at the end of week 5, lost 12lbs (very good for me), 3 inches off my waist, there is a visible difference looking in the mirror (no more back fat rolls!!!) and I’ve gone from obese to overweight on the NHS BMI scale – albeit only just there but it’s a definite improvement. I also feel so much better than before I started. More energy, sleeping much better and not craving carbs every two hours.

The hardest thing I’ve done so far is say no thanks to a Devon cream tea at friend’s house next week, I’m just having the tea. I explained that I was on this diet for medical, not only vanity reasons and friend (more of an acquaintance really) was very understanding and now wants details of the diet for herself and her husband!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Oldbluejeans

Bril work on your weight loss, and doesn’t it feel good when you say no, it’s great isn’t it to be in control of the old monster appetite. Keep up the excellent work.😎😎😬

• posted by Weissdorn
    on

Thanks Bubblesdevere!

I’m a little concerned because yesterday did not go well health-wise, and I ate some carbs to prevent getting sick. I’m going to repost something I discovered about fatigue, insomnia and the so-called “carb flu” I found. I’m starting to have second thoughts about reducing the carbs so drastically.

• posted by Kjb21
    on

Hi all, first time posting, am now on week 6 of BSD and have lost 5 kilos so far. Not a huge amount from waist (1.5 inches) but am so pleased as am menopausal and have under active thyroid so losing weight is very difficult. My husband is also doing the diet (thank goodness as I’d never stick to it otherwise) and he’s lost over 7 kilos. We’re both finding this difficult but it’s worth it!

• posted by LACali21
    on

In the last 3.5 weeks I have lost 15.4 lbs and a total of 8 inches overall so far. πŸ™‚

Nice job Kjb21, I just got my hubby onboard with the plan this week. And it was difficult having him eat the foods I couldn’t eat before he started on this with me. It’s much easier when we are both eating the same things, easier for meal prep too. πŸ™‚

• posted by Bubblesdevere
    on

Weissdorn I had the best news today – the doc says my blood sugar is normal and I am no longer type 2!!! I would be interested in what you have read and really do not worry about having more than 50 carbs a day – I do med diet with low carb – not no carb! I have around a 100 grams a day – I don’t eat much meat and eat a lot of beans, pulses, quorn, etc and even though they are extremely healthy they do have a substantial amount of carbs, albeit slow release. For me it is impossible to keep them under 50 and I don’t worry about it now as the weight is dropping off and my blood sugars are normal so it is working!

• posted by orchid
    on

Congratulations Bubblesdevere! Wonderful news.
    Weissdorn, I have lost 3.7 stone since February (with 6 week break in the middle) on 60 g carbs a day on average. Sometimes it is a bit higher. If I went lower than that, certainly lower than 50g, I had severe leg cramps overnight. Everyone is different and you need to find what works for you, Bubblesdevere is a good example of that!

• posted by Frog
    on

thanks Yowzer

Have been very good today – I will be very cross if it has crept up again in the morning!

Night

• posted by Ninneyfish
    on

It’s a great incentive to read your posts. Week one is just about up so we’ll hopefully see some losses on MondayπŸ‘πŸ»

• posted by gavinfabl
    on

4 weeks today, 4 weeks today, its 4 weeks today. I will have my usual full blog update on Monday, link in my profile, but its 4lbs this week. 1st 11lbs in total in 4 weeks.

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Awesome! Gavin. Well done that averages nearly a half stone per week lossπŸ˜€

Some great weight losses happening on here

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Welcome KJB21…good luck on yr Bsd journey!x
    Fingers crossed for Monday NINNEYFISH X
    LACALI good work getting OH on board! I’ m sure he’s impressed by your fab results x
    BUBBLESDEVERE..thats amazing..we are all very intent on the lbs and inches we lose,but the most important thing really is the bsd health benefits..well done on proving the research is right! X
    So much positive news on here..high five everyone ! X

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Great results everyone.

Another 3 pounds gone this week. Total loss is now 6 stone. Or 84 pounds. Or 38.1 kg.

• posted by Kjb21
    on

Yep LACali21, difficult if your partner eating differently. It’s the first diet my husband has ever done and he’s really impressed. Hope you both continue with the great results!

• posted by lmp98
    on

Wow everyone has down SO well!! 😁
    I’ve had a plateau this week – well actually I’ve lost 0.6lb – but happy and feel like I’m starting to get somewhere, even if I do get impatient when I’m weighing myself everyday and there are annoying fluctuations!

Captainlynne wow losing 6 stone is extraordinary – do you mind me asking when you started and what your start weight was (I realise that might be a bit too personal so don’t worry if you’d rather not say)?

Keep up the good work everyone, we are getting there!!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Yes CAPTAINLYNN i would love to know too,same as IMP..at least when you started if nothing else.x

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Imp98 and Yowzer49 – I started the BSD 800 calories on 19th December, starting weight 16 stone (224 pounds, 101.6kg). I thought BMI was 40.9 but now told I’m an inch shorter than I thought, so BMI was 42.3😱 Now it’s 26.4.

I’ve lost over 35%of my starting weight – another 5 pounds will make it 40%.

I’m only 5ft 1ins (now) and now 66 years old, so needed to lose a lot of weight. Clothes were a tight (very) 24. I’m currently in size 12 tops, 14 for skirts and trousers. But the skirts and trousers are getting looser.

The main reason for me doing this was to avoid diabetes meds. Fasting blood sugar on starting was 10.9 and the HbA1c was 9.6. Now my fasting bloods (which I now check occasionally rather than regularly) are in ‘normal’ levels – often under 4. The two most recent HbA1c results were 5.5 and 5.2 – again in the ‘normal’ range.

I’m currently on week 35 of the BSD 800 calories, and will stay on it until I reach my goal weight. Then keep low carb, Mediterranean style eating, I’ll be monitoring carefully until I find my maintenance levels. But one thing is certain. Low carb, with no refined carbs, is the way to go for me.

• posted by Numi
    on

Hi everyone,
    I’ve been gradually working my way through some of these threads and feeling encouraged by the great weight loss successes and positivity. Finally worked up the courage to join in.
    I started the BSD after hearing Michael Mosely on the radio and my start date was the 29th of June so that makes me in the middle of my 6th week. My motivation was watching my mum struggle with weight gain all of her life and then succumb to diabetes in her 50s followed by dying at 70 from the complications (a few years ago). So approaching my 50s myself I’ve been determined to do something to avoid going down that path.
    The only trouble was I felt very powerless. I’ve always tried to be careful about what I ate and my husband and two children are all in great shape while my weight has just crept up and up. Never really believed in diets after watching my mum try them all and just get heavier and heavier after each attempt. So, eat healthy fresh prepared food in moderation and get plenty of exercise has always been my motto. But it just wasn’t working and realising I had gone half a pound over 14 stone when I am only 5ft 2 was a really bad moment.
    I think this diet has come along for me at just the right time. Since I started I have gone down from 14st to 12st 4lb and have got so many other benefits: better skin, no more heartburn, more energy, better mood. I seemed to be in a constant state of anxiety for months before starting this and now feel much more like my old self, able to cope despite some recent stressful times.
    I’m so happy I found out about this diet which just seems to make so much sense. Recently been in a bit of a plateau phase, probably a little bit of complacency creeping in, plus not drinking quite enough. So following lots of the great advice on this thread, I’ve resolved to tighten up my carb consumption more, not let those veg portion sizes creep up, and get much more fluids in.
    I wanted to say thank to all the regular posters for all their words of wisdom and the supportive atmosphere which has been built up here. It’s all been a fantastic help to me. I’m starting to feel as though, one day soon, the mirror will become my friend again! 😊

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Ooh hi there Numi

We started the same day, nice to meet you, and you are doing amazing, keep posting we love a chat here.😊 Jan

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Hi all,
    Haven’t logged on for a while because I’ve been really busy with clients and my virtual assistant for my website decided to go another route so I am having to figure it out all on my own!
    I weighed in last Friday (2 days ago) and I have lost 45 pounds total on this plan and 75 total since my highest weight.
    Since last Friday I’ve lost another 2 pounds so I’m actually down 47 pounds on the BSD800. Also lost 14% according to BMI.
    It’s been 15 weeks I think that I’ve been on it so I think I’m in week 16 now and it’s still super easy to stay on and I have no cravings.
    I still try to keep my calories at 800 and my carbs at 50 although sometimes I’ve gone over or under but it all balances out somehow.
    I still have quite a ways to go but I know I’ll get there and appreciate everyone’s support – sorry I can’t get on here as often as I would like.
    I went and bought a pair of pants and a pair of capris the other day from the normal people stores – most of you know what I mean – which was really exciting and I realize I could’ve gone to those stores about two months ago but I forgot about them because I’m so used to shopping at the chubby lady store. Ha!
    Slowly I’m adding to the clothes that fit me now but I don’t want to buy too much because I know I still want to lose a lot more weight.
    My fave meal right now is one corn tortilla with 2 ounces of salmon and one quarter avocado with a teaspoon of tartar sauce. That’s my go to, make it quick meal, in between clients as well.
    Hugs to all and wishing you the best always!
    πŸ’œ

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Happy life
    an average of 3lb a week – that’s brilliant, well done.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

CAPTAIN LYNNE wowzer…..to lose so much! And to start just before christmas! That shows dedication..most peeps wd say,oh well might as well stuff myself for Christmas and begin in the new year ! I like that,no procrastination! THIS Christmas will be a very different thing for you than last!
    Do you feel reborn?
    Thanks for being here,its such an encouragement to those of us who have a lot to lose ! AND also to those who only have a little to shed! X
    HAPPY LIFE lovely to see you – another inspirational role model πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ» x
    Hi NUMI so important to note all the other benefits beside weight loss isnt it! I have no heartburn either and more chilled like you said. Soemone said,”haven’t you got lovely skin” yesterday! I feel my skin,hair and nails are all looking better. Sleeping better too
    also,me too,plateau time ..but not for long i hope for either of us! Ε΄e have rested there long enough..time for a big jump off it please, body! X

• posted by Numi
    on

Hi greenjanet
    Thanks for the welcome and nice to know someone else at the same stage 😊 And Yowzer49, I’ve certainly got my fingers crossed for an end to the plateau, good luck to you on that one too. At least we know the principles of the diet work and can take comfort from other people overcoming.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Yowzer49

I knew that if I waited for 1st January, it would then be 2nd etc. Been there before. Tomorrow never comes! Needed to jump in with both feet straight away.

Don’t know about feeling reborn. But still getting used to the ‘new me’ in the mirror. Never been one to keep looking in the mirror, and no full length mirror at home. Do it’s still a surprise when I see myself in a full length mirror in a hotel.

And after many years of avoiding photos unless absolutely necessary (and hiding the evidence) it was a surprise to see myself not looking too bad on one taken a week or two ago.

One problem is having to relearn what clothes suit me. Ok with colours, just need to be more adventurous. It’s styles I’m unsure about. Still, been a good few decades since I was this size (and then not for long!) so it’s not surprising. Need to build my confidence where clothes are concerned.

• posted by Marvelene
    on

Starting today. Goal is 47 lbs. I can do it!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

CAPTAINLYNNE Ohhhh i bet you look great! Must be such a nice surprise when you catch yrself in a mirror! I avoid them but that will change one day.
    You can have fun now experimenting with clothes.small sizes will just slip on!
    I think you said you’re sixty six? Same as me..at this age,i always find clothes buying a bit dodgy..i still love things i loved when i was young,and continually have to remind myself i dont have the face and figure now to carry off my fave styles! X

Hi MARVELENE! Good luck! Yes you CAN do it and surprisingly faster than you might expect! Keep posting and let us know how it goes…ask questions if you need..lots of seasoned BSD ers here and always willing to help x

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

Well it is a great morning! Beginning of week 12 and I lost 4 lbs this past week hurray!! That makes a total of 35 or for oldies like me 2 1/2 stone.

I’d been a bit disheartened last week on only losing a pound so was more careful with cals and carbs this week and it obviously jolt started something.

Have been getting better at eating out, four of us at the pub yesterday 3 of whom ordered off piste for various reasons and so easy not a blink from helpful waitress. Bit more concerned this week as going for family celebratory meal at upmarket Indian restaurant I guess no bread or rice but what about the rest? Any ideas gratefully received. I do by habit now look online at restaurant menus before I go and find that helps so I don’t get caught like the rabbit in the headlights trying to make a quick decision.

Hope you guys have good results if weighing in today and if not like me last week try a review it paid off for me.

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Lovely to hear all these success stories.
    Very motivating.
    Keep posting.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Yowzer49 – even at 66 years of age, when I look at some clothes I can hear my late mother saying ‘mutton dressed as lamb’😱

I was looking for trousers in BHS but all they had in my size were jeans. I plucked up the courage and bought 2 pairs (size14). At the price it wouldn’t matter if they didn’t fit/I didn’t like them! But the did fit, and now I wear them nearly all the time. But ladies of my age do wear jeans – do they? LOL.

I’ve a few days holiday at the end of the month. Might just decide to explore clothes shops in nearby towns. Playtime πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Of COURSE you can wear jeans.

I am in the fashion industry and we say it’s “attitude not age”.

Why ever would you not be able to wear jeans – slim and svelte as you are.

It might be good to book yourself into a session of trying on – I recommend Gap for good value/good denim – and see what suits and fits. Different cuts can make a huge difference and fit and flatter!

Enjoy πŸ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Oooohhh! I like thatπŸ˜ƒ “Attitude not age!” My granddaughters say “Oh grandma, you are silly”. Guess that alone qualifies me to wear jeans. Or lots of other clothes I have yet to discover.

I think the change has been so fast it’s taking the brain a while to catch up.

And why is it that now I’m in a ‘normal’ size every other size is on the racks but the one I want?😱 Ho hum.

• posted by Numi
    on

A ‘silly’ grandma sounds like a lot of fun captainlynne 😊
    I’m thrilled today to weigh in with a 1 and 3/4 lb loss. Having been hovering round the same weight for about ten days (with a yoyo effect up and down half a pound), it feels like a decisive step in the right direction again. Obviously all the helpful posts on here about fluid intake and staying vigilant on the carbs have steered me in the right direction to get things going again. Thanks everyone 😊

• posted by happyitsworking
    on

Captainlynne: I’m 63 and all I wear are jeans. Its the only thing I feel comfortable in. I have never felt my age, when I shop I never look at the clothes for older women. They look like they belong to 80 year old and older if you know what I mean. I’m still young at heart……..age is just a number.

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Hi all, I love this topic! I am 61 and someone in the pool the other day and my new virtual assistant for my website were shocked when I told them.
    Now I swear they would not have doubted me 3.5 months ago when I started this but my skin is so healthy now it seems a lot younger for sure.

And we can wear anything as we age. I always feel 17-25 inside I say and remember the poem that says “when I am old I will wear purple!” Yesterday indinallyvwebr and bought two bags of clothes that fit me as I have to travel twice in the next month and my Capri pants were way too big. When I wore the new ones that fit I looked so much thinner. Wearing clothes that fit are another great motivation as we see ourselves so much smaller own clothes.

On another note I am in SHOCK! Friday is weigh day for the weekly weigh in for me but I weigh myself daily as I find it keeps me more in tune with how my body is doing based on what I ate.

Well since Friday (today is Monday in the U.S.) I have lost 5 lbs and 3 of those are since yesterday. It’s really nuts and amazing how this plan works!

Of course in addition I cleared the reasons my subconscious used to sabotage me as I am an Intuitive Hypnotherapist and Medium so developed a program to uncover and fix why my and my clients subconscious always sabotaged us in the past.

Hence I haven’t had 1 issue on the plan. Which is a miracle to me and I thank God each day for helping me figure this all out and for this plan I was guided to. Doctors send me clients as it makes total sense once we fix the subconscious reasons for the sabotage and everyone has a different reasons and a big aha moment during their session. And then I work with them to intuitively choose their food plan. Some choose this plan and others choose another that works best for them.

But I had to share to all here that Captain Lynne has been my inspiration on these threads and I am so thankful for her sharing her journey! THANK YOU CAPTAIN LYNNE!!

So in total I am now down 79.6 lbs since my highest weight and 49.6 lbs since April 29th when I started this plan.

The funniest thing is my hubby took me out last night to celebrate my 75 lb loss. The manager knows us so wanted to comp us a drink and dessert and we said no thanks to both. Which of course we would because nothing is as good as the success we feel in our new lives.

Also I now weigh 1 lb less than I did when I met my husband 20 years ago! I trade he won’t know this skinny chick he’s married too (no I am not skinny and still have a lot more to lose but I know I will get there!!

So hang on for the ride everyone – we will all get there!

Wishing you all the best!
    πŸ’œ

• posted by captainlynne
    on

HappyLife – one of my favourite poems is “When I am old I will wear purple”.

Perhaps that could be a new look for me – purple, with a red hat that doesn’t go.

Except, of course, I’m not old yet! Well, my birth certificate says I’m 66 but inside I feel about 19.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thought I would report in, although I’m not too happy with this week’s overall result. Had been showing a loss of 1.5lb during the week, but after an iffy w/e, I only showed a loss of 0.8lb loss this morning, when I did my end of week weigh-in. Had family visiting at the w/e, so relax a bit, so I only have myself to blame. This week is going to be a replay of the same, in that we are taking the grand children camping for four days. Will try to stick to the principle of the BSD, but not hopeful of losing much this week either.

I guess things are still progressing in the right direction, if slowly and as long as I’m not showing an increase week on week I need to be content. This camping trip is the last of our commitments until we go away in September, so I’m hopeful that after next Tuesday, I’ll be able to really knuckle down again, keep track of everything again and with luck and a fair wind, lose a few pounds before the holiday.

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

Lynne and Happylife

Congratulations and thanks to you both. Of course you can wear jeans. I am older than both of you and even my husband says I look good in them – a little better now. I do have smaller ones waiting as well!

Definitely red and purple ladies – and gentlemen if they wishe

I had a hiccup, but kept reading everyone and lovely Lucia and am back on track

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Back on the scales this morning and back to 1.5lb lost over the week – not sure which reading to believe now! Took a look back over my records and since starting again after the ten week break for our extended stay in Turkey, I have lost 6lb in eight weeks. Not a huge amount, but progress in the right direction.

Onward and downward then!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Great results everyone!

I am happy to report that OH, who started his version of BSD on 26th May 2016, is now happily steady at 166lbs, having lost c half a stone (on target, he didn’t need to lose that much), lost 2 shirt sizes, 1 trouser size (in fact 1.5 trouser sizes), and his high Type 2 blood sugars have now been consistently in the normal range for 2 months of HbA1c tests, so doctor this morning took him off Metformin completely.

Now focusing on building muscle strength with more careful exercise (has back and feet issues, so not able to walk/run/cycle or exercise in more normal ways to the degree he’d like)

But quite remarkable to go from 4 Metformin to zero in less than 3 months. He is over the moon and so am I. πŸ™‚

Keep on keeping on, people – you can do it! πŸ™‚

• posted by Numi
    on

Fantastic news about your OH Igorasusual. I love hearing about the positive health benefits that people experience 😊

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Great weight loss of course captainlynne. Please don’t beat me down to to 9st 11lbs…….I have been trying for that sooo….long now πŸ™

Wear something funky people……because we can!!!
    I have a pair of leopard-print leggings!!! I don’t think I look too much like Rod Stewart……well maybe!!!
    (You have to be of a certain age to understand that)

Well done Igorasusual’s OH. I’ve been brave enough to stop taking my Metformin too. (Was prescribed 4)

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks ay caramba πŸ˜ƒ Will meet you at 9st 11lbs whenever we both get there πŸ˜ƒ

Is that your goal? I need to get down to 9st 7lbs.

Mmmm … something funky! Not too much of that locally – but I’m in London tomorrow. Who knows what (if anything) I’ll find πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Now then, Captainlynne – this may sound like an out-of-the box suggestion, but bear with me….(you remember I said I work in the fashion industry)

I suggest that when you are in London you pop into a Zara.

Yes, some of the clothes will not be what you are looking for. However, they have some really nice light trousers which have elasticated waists (trendy, as the sports luxe look is all the go, currently), and they also have good jackets and really nice shirts. I have a good repertoire of the trousers, in both plain and print, and they are really comfortable to wear and flattering.

Whilst you are in there, keep calm, walk past the more extreme stuff – no reason to have that if you don’t like it – and look carefully at the trousers and shirts and tops, and jackets too. You may well see a wide variation of customers from the relatively young to the just about the same age as you category.

A lot of this is having the confidence to really LOOK in shops which you think might be too young for you. If you feel embarrassed in any way, you could always pretend you are shopping for a gift for a younger female relative……but you really don’t need to.

Good luck! πŸ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.