Week One – Any Other Newbies Out There?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lankylady
    on

Hi, I am just starting out on BSD. Have tried other low carb diets but never seem be able to keep going on just protein & fat as found had unpleasant side effects. This looked more sustainable and am now 3 days in and loving it. At 5′ 9″ and 250 pounds I have a way to go but my Mother is Type 2 and having noticed symptoms after eating high sugar food, such as really lethargic and fluctuating body temp, etc, though have never had my own blood sugar noted as high medically, I can only benefit from this. Tried some extra exercise over the weekend but felt a bit light headed, not sure if that is just getting used to low calorie intake or maybe should take it easy at first – anyone have similar experience? Am using the recipes in the book and can highly recommend Roast Pork with Apples & Shallots and Beetroot Falafels ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by shalimar
    on

I personally think …. when you are getting used to a very strict diet, as in the 800 calorie one …. take it easy … your system can’t just go from zero to 60, especially if you are not used to that level of exercise ….. take it easy and work your way up to the level of exercise that you want. If you’ve been doing some walking don’t start jogging or running all in one step. Walk … walk a little more, walk more distance or walk quicker.

If you are dizzy or nauseous … stop … have some water, etc. And try again later or on another day.

• posted by Heather Patricia
    on

Hi. Just started this morning and I’m terrified! I have “hit rock bottom” and I feel if this doesn’t work for me then I have nowhere left to go! I’m highly motivated but frightened that I will make some mistake with the recipes and that I’ll slow my weight loss. Any tips?
    Good luck.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Lanky, exercise is difficult on 800 calories so just take it easy.

Heather, oh dear, rock bottom is a hard place to hit but you know what they say, the only way is up, hey baby, for you and me girl da da da da. Sing along and dance around the house. Nothing to fear here and we all make mistakes, you should have heard me singing that just now, appalling.

Tips, measure yourself, not all weight loss shows on the scales. Plan and shop and plan again. That is probably the hardest thing about this diet, make sure you have everything you need so you don’t have to go off track. Ditch the low fat food, it is full of sugar if sweet or cereal if savory, think yogs or sausages. Drink lots and lots of water. Take it easy the first few days, don’t expect to do lots of exercise, and some people get headachy, ratty etc (although I didn’t) some people experience withdrawal, they call it carb flu. It is your body yelling give me spuds, you just have to say no. It is like any other addiction, never easy to stop but gets better.

You will make mistakes and you will learn from them, I am in week 12 and learned something new just this week, but in a few weeks this style of eating will be second nature. Enjoy. When you are laid in the gutter you are looking up at the stars. God, I’m smultzy.

on

Hi sunshine-girl, You really live up to your name! Thank you very much for the encouragement. I will take all your advice especially about the exercise and the water. Best of luck.

• posted by RubyLondon
    on

I hear you Heather Patricia…
    I spent the morning reading the book and I am starting the 8 week BSD today. Now in a panic that I won’t have anything to eat! I have 30lbs to lose.
    … Hitting the shops. Good luck everyone!

on

Hi RubyLondon, My mother and my grand daughter are both called Ruby!! Best of luck on your 30 lbs. I have a lot more than that to lose but feeling very motivated – today at least – ask me again in a few weeks! But I did think today was easy. I have not felt hungry and I haven’t had any cravings. Long may it last!! Wishing you all the luck in the world.

• posted by Lankylady
    on

Thanks Shalimar and Sunshine Girl , think I was so enthusiastic overdid it a bit but much better today, lots of great advice. Finding it easier as at work, honestly not felt hungry which has been a nice surprise – made the Lamb & Pine Nut Meatballs tonight, very tasty ๐Ÿ™‚ Can anyone tell me if ratatouille is okay on BSD – no recipe in the book or on site?

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Lankylady

If you get an app like MyFitnessPal or FatSecret you can concoct your own meals and check the nutrition.

Ratatouille has got all BSD friendly stuff in it – courgettes, peppers, aubergine, tomatoes. Be careful not too many onions – root veg so carby – try some spring onions instead. And weigh all the ingredients to enter in whichever app you use.

Hope that helps ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by RubyLondon
    on

Thank you for the lovely welcome, I have also joined the October 3rd starters thread.

Day 1 not too bad, just trying to work out something interesting to do with green beans:/ I am not much of a cook but hey my recipe book arrives tomorrow and I can read:)

(((Big supportive hugs all round)))

on

Many thanks for the lovely welcome. I have lots of questions and doubts so will need lots of support but hope I will be able to provide some too!

Please log in or register to post a reply.