Week 5 on the Fast 800: feeling very low and head spinning

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by ASarj
    on

Hi everyone,
    I’m currently on week 5 of the Fast 800 (weigh loss thus far 6.3kilos – although, possible I will not lose any weight this week – just weighed myself and nothing lost at all… usually by this time in the week the scales would have started to go down). I have NOT gone over the 800 calorie allowance, and I am exercising at least 5x a week (bike for 40mins), I do aim for 7x a week but occasionally not possible because of work.
    However, apart from a (small’ish) number of difficult days where hunger pangs have been pure torture, the thing I seem to be struggling with since starting this diet is very very very low mood (I would go as far as to say ‘depressed’). I can’t seem to stop crying!!! The thing that tortures me the most is the concept, that at the age of 43, I have obviously NOT learned how to a) listen to my body when it tells me I’m full; and b) ultimately, i have failed to learn to eat properly, otherwise, there would be no need to go on insane diets with minimal calorie consumption in order to rectify ‘some’ of the damage I have inflicted on myself. If i haven’t learned to eat properly in 43 years, what makes me think I will from now on?
    I was wondering if anyone is feeling low on this diet too? In the last week or so, I’ve also been feeling very dizzy/like I’ve consumed half a bottle of wine (haven’t drunk at all on this diet).
    I’m eating plenty of protein, veggies and the occasional carb (like a sweet potato); all within the allowed 800 calories.

Many thanks, A.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Sorry you are struggling, ASarj – firstly, you have done brilliantly so far and should congratulate yourself on making good progress to date. Secondly, whilst they are frustrating stalls in weight loss are common on this way of eating and are just due to the body making adjustments. They can be very disheartening, but sticking with the plan does result in progress being made again.
    There is nothing to be gained by beating yourself up about how you have fed your body in the past. Remember, we have been given flawed advice on how to eat for year – low fat/high carb and years and years of this, has proved it doesn’t work.
    Nothing can be done to change what’s past, but you DO have the power to change your future and YES, you can retrain yourself to eat well to improve your health and well being as many of us here can attest. AND many of us here have a lot of years on you and have achieved what you believe is impossible at your age. I have 20yrs on you and since being with the BSD, have improved both my physical and emotional well being.
    That said, I am concerned that you are feeling dizzy and depressed. I have heard of others for whom low carb diets have a poor impact on their mood levels. I can’t advise you whether or not to continue with the BSD long term, but maybe see how things go for a little longer and if you continue to feel depressed and dizzy, consult your doctor for advice.

Whatever happens, I hope you will find a solution that will allow you to achieve your goals. Please feel free to continue to post here and we will do our best to offer support. Big Hug and best wishes to you ….

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi,
    It may be worth taking extra salt. – Feeling dizzy and tired can be a sign of low sodium. Shifting over to fat burning from carbs, speeds up the amount at which the kidneys get rid of fluid and with it salt, you may also find that a lot of your salt intake was coming from eating processed food so perhaps take a pinch of salt with each glass of water, or add a pinch to your food.

I had been eating low carb for months but when I moved on to extended fasts I went through the same experience and just having a pot of salt that I would lick my finger and dab in the salt pot occasionally during the day worked for me.

Please log in or register to post a reply.