Week 2 of the 8 week BSD!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by jmarie41
    on

I started on the 800 calorie–8 week BSD on Sunday, October 9th and today is my 9th day.
    I have lost 8.5 lbs (3.85 kg.) so far.
    So far, my most difficult days were day 2 and 3 due to the headache I had even with drinking a lot of fluids and yesterday (day 8).
    I’m not really sure why yesterday was difficult! I felt a bit cranky and serious which is different than my usual self. I am usually a very even tempered, cheerful person! Today, I am feeling much better.

I keep reminding myself that “it’s only 8 weeks” out of my entire life, but these 8 weeks will be life changing for me. Already I have blood sugar readings in the 80’s. This morning my fasting blood sugar was 81. Wow! Before I started the BSD, my morning fasting blood sugar would be 110 or so. My blood sugar during the day hasn’t gone over 97. That is amazing for me! I had gestational diabetes years ago when I was pregnant with my 3 child and had to give myself insulin shots. Luckily I didn’t have to continue medication after the pregnancy but have been pre-diabetic for years. Now that I am getting close to 60 years of age, I feel time is running out to get complete control of my BS and now’s the time for action.

My measurements so far haven’t changed but I think that will be coming soon with the next 5 lb. loss and I’m looking forward to it. I am short in stature at 5 ft. tall (152.4 centimeters) and I started out on the BSD weighing in at 157.5 lbs. (71.44 kg.). This morning I weighed 149 lbs. (67.58 kg.) I haven’t been lower than 140 lbs. (63.5 kg.) in many years but my all time high was 178 lbs (80.73 kg) about 10 years ago and this wasn’t when I was pregnant. About 5 years ago, I lost 35 lbs. (15.87 kg.). I recently started gaining some weight back and noticing my blood sugar rising, so I decided it was time to go into action and get both of these numbers down. I am so thankful to have found the BSD!!

When I married my husband at age 19 (39 years ago), I weighed 92 lbs (41.73 kg), so I have put on a lot of weight over the years. I don’t plan to ever weigh that again, but I’d love to be back to the low 130’s (58 kg) or high 120’s (54 kg)

What helped me this past week was making homemade soup with just meat and vegetable and broth. So delicious! It has kept me satiated for hours.

To help with constipation, I take a teaspoonful of Metamucil twice a day and drink a lot of fluids. Even though the Metamucil has some carbs, it is worth it to me to keep things moving. :–)

On Saturday night, I had 5 ounces of red wine. My big treat for the week. I really, really enjoyed it! I am used to the nightly vodka tonic so this is a big change for me. I feel so much better giving up the nightly cocktail and am sleeping better.

For sure the low carb diet is keeping the hunger away. When I have dieted by just lowering calories and not carbs, I have been extremely hungry and edgy. I haven’t felt that way on the BSD at all. So far, I have not had any rice, bread, pasta, or sweets of any kind. I have had a low carb tortilla with my dinner on 2 different nights. the low carb tortilla has 50 calories, 7 grams of fiber and 11 carbs.

I haven’t eaten any fruit. The vegetables I’ve eaten are dark leafy lettuce, zucchini and yellow crook neck squash, broccoli, cauliflower rice, onion, celery, red peppers and cherry tomatoes. The meats I’ve eaten are chicken breast, 85% lean ground beef, and halibut. I have one cup of coffee every morning with 4 tablespoons of half and half (half cream-half milk) and look forward to getting out of bed for it every morning. For breakfast I’ve been eating FAGE greek yogurt with a few nuts or 2 eggs scrambled.
    I’m taking a daily vitamin.

So far 800 calories doesn’t seem like much food to me! I guess I’ve been used to eating at least twice that amount of calories and the nightly cocktail, so it will take a while for me to get used to this change.

My husband is very supportive of my weight loss plan and has joined me in the low carb part of it. That has helped a lot.

I have always enjoyed working out so that helps me a lot! I get in at least 10,000 steps a day and use the treadmill, stationary bike, rower, walk or ride my outdoor bike. I also weight train! This past week, I noticed I was very tired when working out but I did push myself to do it. I hope my energy level improves!!

Where ever you are in your BSD journey, I wish you all the best! I love reading everyone’s posting and I’m grateful for the support of everyone here on this blog.

Wishing you all a successful week!

PS. I hope I got all the conversions correct. :–)

• posted by Getting my life back
    on

Hi Jmarie41 congrats on your weight loss that is brilliant. I haven’t been able to do as much exercise but looking forward to it in the future 😃 👍

• posted by jmarie41
    on

Thank you”getting my life back”. Looks like you are doing well! :–)

• posted by Getting my life back
    on

Thanks jmarie41 I was but really hungry yesterday and today hope it won’t last reading some blogs I might have been having a couple of high carb meals. I will try better tomorrow x

• posted by jmarie41
    on

It’s 3:40 pm and I’m just home from work; actually working now from home via the internet. I’ve had coffee and half and half and some plain greek yogurt for breakfast. For lunch I had homemade vegetable beef soup again (no carbs except what might be in the vegetables).
    In 20 minutes I plan to log off work stuff and go exercise! I am still not used to only having only about 300 calories left to eat.
    Today I feel hungrier and I think it is because I am getting close to losing some more weight and my body wants to rebel and bring me back to where I was. I have to fight the feeling! I have worked too hard now for 10 days to give in. 9 lb. weight loss in 9 days is amazing for me! I have to be happy with that!!

I’m hoping the workout will help quell the urge for food.
    I know I will feel so good waking up tomorrow and weighing myself and seeing my weight drop.
    From everyone’s posts who hung in there, it sounds like there is a good amount of weight to come off sometime during the second week and I won’t be able to see it happen to me if i give in.

I bought this wooden arrow that is painted with these words on it, “Be Brave–Embrace your Journey”. I bought it the day before I started this journey because I knew I would need to remind myself to be brave during the 8 weeks of eating 800 calories a day. I also have to remember my mantra of, “It’s only 8 weeks out of my entire life” , and the results of sticking with it will feel great!

I hope everyone is having a good day and I look forward to hearing about how your all doing tomorrow!

Please log in or register to post a reply.