Week 18,er wanting to push beyond maintenance, anyone up for it.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

I am at week 18 I have maintained my end of eight week loss, but now wanting to push on for a further loss towards Xmas, so any of you old timers wanting to join me, for a fun approach, I’m hoping this thread, will bring favourite recipe ideas, as well as positive enthusiasm for this fantastic eating plan. So we can all support each other as pushing beyond the 16 week barrier is taking a lot more motivation, I’m finding, hence why I’ve started this thread, to go public.
    We could also have a Saturday weigh in I’m in maintenance I was 116.36 k when I started and am now 101.1 k
    Goal to loose another 12.5 k before Xmas which is 8 1/2 weeks away.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

I am posting on another thread – which I will continue to do. But I think it would be helpful to post here also. I started in May and have lost about 2 stone 6lb. Am not really sure how much more I need to lose – the Consultant said on Monday not to lose any more than 4lb.

So my aim is either to maintain my weight or to lose up to 4lb by Christmas. This is a really massive goal for me because since 1975 I have never achieved this despite losing weight numerous times. Previously I just have never maintained my weight loss and the weight has just climbed straight back up.

This time I have the support of this forum and and the fact that the BSD very easily can seamlessly morph into a maintenance programme.

I have also got rid of my larger clothes for the first time ever and I am determined to stay off the insulin.

Today I am 9 stone 12 1/2lbs. Up 3/4lb since Tuesday. As I have increased my food from 800 calories to between 1000 and 1200 calories and my weight is fluctuating a bit – I am not really worried by that.

It is also half term and I usually stall over the holidays.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hello!

More that 18 weeks – I just had to open a spreadsheet and calculate how many, but I have more or less fallen into maintenance and losing slowly, so good time to start another serious 8 week push.

AND – 8 weeks from today takes us up to CHRISTMAS EVE!!!! – so seems even more opportune

Just reread your first post on the thread Jan- definitely 8 weeks, not eight and a half! (or were you working it out to the delayed bank holiday day, because Christmas Day is a Sunday πŸ™‚

• posted by 1942desperate
    on

Have just completed my second 8 weeks and have lost 15kgs. I will be continuing as I still have quite a bit to lose. I am not diabetic but need a double knee replacement and would like to lose another 20kgs to make the rehab a little easier.
    In all I have lost 50kgs in three years but find that this WOL is definitely the easiest to maintain.
    I having been reading the forums and have really enjoyed reading everyone’s stories.

• posted by tigs
    on

Brilliant 1942desperate, greenjanet, KrysiaD and Frog. Love your commitment to making this work for the long term for more losses and maintenance. You have done amazingly!

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi 1942 – welcome. congratulations – 50kg is amazing, well done
    you’ve been very quiet! do join in the conversation more, lots more fun

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi KrysiaD

You have done so well, it would be great to see you here it will encourage all us flaggers, 4 more lbs ooh can’t wait to get there. Bet you have amazing tales of how that feels. Are you going to have a target party. Hope you have a good day, ooh and what’s been your fav dinner on bad. πŸ™‹
    Love jan

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Yeaaaa Frog

Ooh we are all going to push together, I am aiming to loose another 12.5 k for xmas as it’s my birthday I will be 59 on 25 th and I want to amaze my hubby to get to my lowest in 10 years. I have so missed the very active support of this forum so I am hoping to rev this thread up to keep us all inspired and motivated, with fun and lovely clean food.πŸ˜‡

Do you have a goal in mind to loose for xmas, and what’s your fav BSD dinner of to buy some fageπŸ™‹

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi 1942

Big hello woo hoo how brilliant is your weight loss πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡ so wonderful, what amazing committment, so I’m hoping to help us here to all motivate and inspire each other, I want to loose 12.5 k by xmas so would love to push forward with all of you , all of us getting there together .
    What’s been your fav BSD dinner mine is the pork and apricot bake its like a posh meatloafy thing very yum.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Tigs

Welcome to this thread, how’s your journey so far, what’s your fav BSD dinner , I recently splurged on a electric spirallizer woo hoo why did I procrastinate so long in getting one, I enjoy bologneise again, mind you it leaves a little lumpy knobby bit and what the heck can I do with that funny little inch square lump, but great otherwise, of to get more fage yum from co op , I know how to live heheπŸ™‹πŸ™‹πŸ™‹

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Ooh yes frog you’re right eight weeks to chrimbo, i was working it out from my original start day, spread sheets ooh I’m impressed love organisation very reassuring πŸ™‹

• posted by Frog
    on

Jan – Christmas Birthday – you have to share!
    At least people must remember it!
    Mine is at the end of May, nicely spaced!
    At school it was always in half term, then when I started work I was usually on study leave for the first few years – together with having a good chance of being on a bank holiday I think I’ve only ever worked on my birthday about twice.

I’m going to go with aiming for 12.5kg too – seems realistic! I haven’t weighed for a couple of days – I don’t think I’ve but any on, but if I have I will add that bit too!

Am just cooking a pork chop with an apple, tomatoes and a bay leaf on top, and the cauliflower mash from yesterday – trying it in the oven this time!

the spreadsheets aren’t incredibly organised – I just key in todays date, and the one I want to measure to (or from), subtract the difference and divide by 7 πŸ™‚

• posted by Snoop
    on

greenjanet, what spiraliser did you get? I keep looking at them, but the reviews on Amazon seem so mixed on some of them.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Snoop
    I think Jan said she’d got an electric one.
    I started with a very cheap pencil sharpener type spiraliser, which was great at first, but the teeth buckled after a few months use and it was so small it limited what veg worked.
    I replaced it with a Salter one about a month ago because I saw in on special offer locally, and I’d used a similar model at cookery school. Really happy with it, and use it lots.
    They are on Amazon for Β£11.99 now, and I spotted different brand in a branch of co-op recently for Β£9.99.
    Lynne recommended a Cuisique spiraliser – also on amazon.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi frog
    Ooh your dinner sounds yum I’m cooking roast chicken, yep definitely an advantage having birthdays In the hols. Ooh so the weight race 🏁 has started, brilliant just the sort of impetus I needed , I’m finding it hard to keep focused but you seem to be going strongπŸ˜‡

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Snoop

I got a fab morphy Richards one of eBay new but cheaper it came from Lakeland products 39.99 really recommend it I procrastinated for so long, durrr meals are so different now as it adds another dimension I cooked a lot of courgettes but of course needing oil to stir fry, but now I just steam the courgettii 😊😊😊 fab u Lus in the voice of revel Hawood if you’re a strictly fan πŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒ hehe I’m a bit crackers today got my accts up to date so celebrating πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Jan
    Yes, lunch was really nice – the cauliflower mash tasted completely different heated in the oven compared to microwaving it yesterday – less watery and incredibly buttery. Froglet liked the pork and the cauliflower!

I have a chicken to cook too – M&S have started offering the choice of a starter instead of desert with their dine in for Β£10, which is great, so I had garlic mushrooms to start.
    Oddly the screw cap on the bottle of wine just kept twisting round and round, which was frustrating, will have to take it back.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hmm

Perhaps the cap was trying to tell you something think of the carbs it’s saved you lol did you put anything with the cauliflower mash

• posted by tigs
    on

Hi greenjanet

I’m a little way off joining you here as still in my first 8 weeks. Happy with it all though and looking ahead to you peeps that have experience and how to manage things some weeks down the track. I have set up my accountable thread as The Christmas Challenge so definitely got that same goal going on.

My fave dinner is fresh fish with Cajun spice, sautΓ©ed in small pieces in olive oil, with either a salad or broccoli with a sprinkle of parmesan. Would have fish at least 4 nights a week as we get it here so easily and it’s super fresh.

Go hard with the goal to Christmas. Cheering for you! xx

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Tigs

Any one can join in I’ve just called it this as I’m at week 18, all the more the merrier, it’s good to have a goal isn’t it, gives you something to work towards, I had a wedding to work towards in September, it really helped. So now I want to loose 12.5 k before my birthday in eight weeks time. So good luck to us . πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—

• posted by Frog
    on

Not quite Jan – I opened another bottle that was in the wine rack!

Yesterday I had the mash with a lamb burger, today with a pork chop that I cooked in foil with apple, garlic and sliced tomato in the foil – really nice – and bay leaves, that I did remember to take out!

I’ve just bought the coffee/spice grinder that I wanted – I got a salter one in the end, from Robert Dyas.
    Off to see Van Morrison this evening, so trying it out will have to wait til tomorrow!

I went to the branch of Waitrose that stocks the low carb ice cream – they did actually have the oppo one in salted caramel – a first! But also the intense chocolate one called Frill, so I got that in the end. Had one spoonful and put it away – delicious though!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi frog

Van Morrison can’t even think what he sang, but have a lovely time. πŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒ

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Greenjanet
    Everyones food sounds really yummy. My favourite food this week was sea bass with a stirfry which included samphire. I have only just started eating fish and the sea bass was amazingly good. Have never eaten samphire before but I really like it.

I really love sweetheart cabbage (the pointy white ones). I love it in place of rice or pasta or in a stirfry. When I make a stirfry I tend to add loads of mushrooms (I could eat mushrooms every day) and then add whatever is in the fridge. Courgetti is lovely also. The only veg I don’t like is cauliflower – even as cauliflower rice.

A favourite lunch is tinned salmon mixed with herb and garlic cream cheese with a rocket side salad.

My special treat (apart from coffee) is a square of 85 or 90% chocolate. I have recently stopped having a square of 70% chocolate because it is too sweet!! I had two bars left and had to pass them on to my husband because I just didn’t enjoy it any more.

I really don’t recognise myself as I have changed so much from the person who started the BSD in May. The day before I started the BSD we went out for a meal and I had the most enormous desert and ate every mouthful. I then had 2 cappuccinos sprinkled with chocolate. I really couldn’t imagine doing that now. But before I started the BSD the one thing I thought I couldn’t give up was my cappuccinos. How wrong I was. I enjoy my black coffee (or coffee with a dash of cream) so much more. I can really taste the coffee now – not just sickly sweetness.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hi KrysiaD

I thought I was going mad but I find 70% too sweet and moved to 90%. Who knows what I’ll do if that becomes too sweet?

I used sweetheart cabbage and filled it with a mushroom, onion and pork chop mix (bound with an egg) and baked it in the oven it was really nice and very filling, just not the most appealing sight. I made three and only managed two and just couldn’t convince the family to have the other one!

In Germany for work this week, so that will be a challenge. Just going to avoid the Backerei and focus on Bratwurst and Lachs. Might treat myself to a Bircher Muesli and FF yogurt for breakfast, though!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi JulesMaigret
    I never would have believed that 70% could ever be too sweet. These changes are really good news because it must mean that it will get easier and easier to avoid the bad stuff.

I like the sound of your filled sweetheart cabbage and will try it.

Hope you have a good week in Germany.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi julesmaigret

How many layers of cabbage did you need to keep it solid, it sounds very tasty.😊

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi guys! Good idea JAN! I am just completing week 16 and want to do another biggggg puuuuush to squeeze in another cycle by crimbo…by then we can all be santas dainty elves and JAN can be the fairy on the top of the tree! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

I used a couple of leaves to wrap the mix up, then rolled it like a sausage . I then used another leaf longways on to seal the ends and then a large leaf to wrap the lot in. I needed to use cocktail sticks to hold it in place. Hope that makes sense….

The inner leaves go soft and absorb some of the juices and the outside goes a bit crispy.

Oh, I also cooked the mushrooms and pork with garlic and cayenne pepper first to get the excess liquid out of the mushrooms.

The hard bit is working out when it’s cooked – I guessed!

• posted by josie53
    on

i am on week 18 so will try and post weight gain / loss as we go towards christmas. My daughter cooked the Italian bean stew for me it was delicious

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Moi as the fairy, have that big twiggy bit stuffed up my skirt I should coco, but chrimbo elves sounds divine, we can all be a big gang of them, ooh loving that idea. The BSD elves, hmmmm doesn’t flow, need to sleep on that one. Hehe ooh I’m so pleased to be chatting to you all again, missed you all xxxxx

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Oh thanks jules I’m going to give that one a go., guessing that sounds like my sort of 🍳 🍳 cooking

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Good night my lovelies, and when we wake up it will be the start of another wonderful BSD day, another opportunity to loose a bit more of our excess baggage. πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

• posted by 1942desperate
    on

Thanks greenjanet , frog and everyone for the welcome.I have been reading all the forums and getting great inspiration, advice and hints. I am not much of a poster but will continue to read. I also want to make a special push to Christmas and lose another 7kgs and then continue into 2017 to be ready for my double knee replacement.
    I have done very little exercise because of my knees so this works regardless.
    Just keep going it really works.
    Greenjanet my favourite meal is avocado, poached egg and smoked trout to die for.

• posted by Frog
    on

I often have that with smoked salmon 1942 – I will have to look out for smoked trout.
    Krysia – try waitroses cauliflower mash (heat it in the oven though) – amazing!
    There is always 100% chocolate – you will not find that too sweet, I guarantee. I haven’t had any for a while, but around the time I started BSD I bought 100% chocolate buttons that are intended for making drinks with – amazing, certainly met the chocolate cravings without being overly carby. I did try eating one on its own – not so good! (Hasslacher’s Drinking chocolate drops)
    I think Montezumas and Hotel Chocolat do 100% ones too.

Van Morrison was excellent Jan- weirdly he didn’t do brown eyed girl this evening, which is my favourite, but still amazing, seats were great too.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi 1942
    Well we are so delighted you have come onto here and posted then. I have found getting involved in posting helps me stay focused, as I can have dieters memory otherwise. Meaning I eat what I want then at the end of the day remind myself damn but I’m on a diet , do that for a week not good on the scales hehe. I hope you have a excellent BSD planned week πŸ™‹πŸ™‹πŸ™‹Jan

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Frog

You do so many interesting things, I’m always working 😩 so never have time or if I do I haven’t the energy, had to look up van Morrison couldn’t think what he sang, glad you enjoyed it hope you have a great day today πŸ™‹

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Josie welcome to the let’s do it thread, glad to have you here we are all chivvying all us lot on. Have you had a lapse or have you managed to keep going. πŸ™‹

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Frog I will look out for the 100% chocolate. I will get some waitrose cauliflower mash to try and will do it in the oven.

I tried a lovely aubergine, cottage cheese, parmesan and tomato bake recipe from JulesMaigret which was lovely. This morning I thought I would use the rest of the aubergine for breakfast. I wondered whether it would be ok if I did all of it on the hob in the fry pan instead of finishing it under the grill. I added mushrooms and forget the tomatoes.

I ended up with a delicious bowl of cheesy mushrooms and aubergine but you had to close your eyes to eat it as the mushrooms turned the cheese into a runny grey sauce. The whole bowl just looked very grey. An interesting experiment – I will stick to the proper recipe next time.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Ooh feeling very inspired today, weight is back on the waaaaaay dooooown yeyyyyyy, .2 k tiny bit but in the right direction, so getting with the plan now.

KrysiaD …Aubergine πŸ† I’ve never got into eating for some reason, eat all other veg, think I will make it my want to try this week, I’m a day of today, that means I can do cleaning, washing, blah blah all day, cor what luxury, but I am making my weeks menu today, from the fab new BSD recipe book. Ooh what shall I have, will probably need to do a quick shop as well, so busy, busy.

I have my jawbone up on to count my steps on and it’s set to buzz at me whenever I’m idle, so every time it buzzes I have to do 200 jogging steps on the spot, my family think I’m bonkers, and I want to do 5000 today, there was a few weeks round about weeks 4 5 6 where I was doing 8-10000 a day and I felt amazing, so aiming for that again the dog 🐢 will be delighted 😁

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

Hello

Can I join in please ?

I’m starting week 23 but would love the company for the next 8 weeks. Blimey we are really doing this! Remember early on when the thought of 8 days was pretty awesome and look at us now. So I’m behind the bus giving it a good old shove up the hill and then freewheeling down to Xmas 56 days later. πŸ˜€

• posted by josie53
    on

in the main i have kept going but had a couple of weeks where nothing has moved so am going to try harder would like to lose another half stone before christmas to reach the 3 stone mark

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hy angie

Wowser angie Just had a peep at your profile, how wonderful , you are of the captainlynne team ilk, Wow life changing already. I am so delighted 😁 for you, to have passed the halfway mark is really motivating.
    I’m aiming for 12.5k more loss for chrimbo, I have 4st 13b more to go, having lost almost 3 st so far, so I will delight in following in your example, ( no pressure hehe) . Mind you I think even if you only have 10 lbs to loose, if you can’t get the mind engaged, with the principles of this plan it will be just as daunting as any amount. I found having almost 9 st to loose just made me more determined. As I was so poorly.

So do you still follow 800 cals and 50 carbs, or have you relaxed slightly. Also what’s your favourite dinner. I expect you are getting comments now about your change in appearance. I’ve had some odd things said to me at times. I hope you have a good day, keep posting and let us know how you are doing.
    πŸ™‹πŸ™‹πŸ™‹jan

• posted by greenjanet
    on

There’s some interesting research into ketosis diets, which is what we are doing, if you look it up, it tells you a few ways to. Break a plateau, some are drastic, but very interesting. But well done for your patience, half a stone sounds doable, I’m aiming for 3 stone also I keep getting near it, then backing of, it’s an elusive milestone, I think as well for most of us 2 – 21/2 stone changes your body, quite a bit so clothes look nicer, so the pressure to make a change has for me made it harder, as it isn’t so pressing.
    Got to keep reminding myself. I’m back on plan properly, mustn’t let the fatties mind set click in, the sod it mind set, you know the one πŸ˜‚ hehe

• posted by Peapod
    on

Hi all, I have been browsing the forums for food ideas and love the sound of the pork and apricot bake and the aubergine bake . If you wouldn’t mind sharing the recipes greenjanet and julesmaigret , I would love to have them.
    Also, is the BSD recipe book worth buying ? I just have the diet book but need more meal ideas. Would you recommend it ?

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi πŸ‘‹ peapod
    Ooh yes I’m reading the recipe book at the mo, getting ideas for the week. The pork and apricot bake I used from the original BSD book the one we all use it’s called spicy turkey(I’d susituted pork) and apricot burgers is on page 229 in my 8 week book, be warned to wrap the remainder up and put it in the freezer, it’s tempting to eat it all. Give It a go it’s like a glam burger, but the apricots, beware don’t pick very carby. πŸ™‹

• posted by Frog
    on

Morning
    I am just having some porridge before I rush off to Diabetic cookery class; with rhubarb and ginger, may favourite (although I might have overdone the ginger with this batch!

Weighed myself this morning, so won’t be quite 8 weeks until Christmas. I have done what Ruth said on another thread, lost several kilos but sadly the same one! I am almost a kilo heavier than last time i weighed myself (two weeks ago, where did that go!?) – but exactly the same as I was on 4 October. I WILL do it this time!!

Tracey Ullman has a new BBC series soon – I’m off to see an episode being recorded this afternoon, which I’m really looking forward to.
    Then choir this evening, so quite a busy day, but hopefully too busy to go wildly off piste with the wrong food!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Just put it behind you, today we are all doing it together. Tomorrow you will weigh less keep it in your mind, don’t lapse into dieters mindset you know the sod it one ☝️ I’m going for it today, soup in the soup maker .menu done for week with new exciting recipes. This eve quorn bolog with courgettii yum😍

• posted by Peapod
    on

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the recipe greenjanet. I think I’ll order the recipe book, I need all the help I can get !

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Anything that helps spur us on is Bril , I ordered mine from eBay, and got a cheap deal on a new one, £7.99 I think, 🍳🍳🍳

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

Ahh thank you for your kind comments. Yes people are noticing which I think is nice but I’m going to have to get used to the attention, I’m not sure if apart from a few really good friends who have always been understanding and cheer me along that I’m terribly comfortable with it. Lovely hubs has never commented on my weight detrimentally but this weekend we went shopping and he bought me a beautiful stylish winter coat as a treat for all my hard work.

As a bit of background I’ve been quite ill the last three years and on a load of steroids which puffed me up like a balloon. Last year I had 5 eye ops with another one in a few weeks. But this May I suddenly started to feel much better and on 31st started BSD and have kept going ever since, for the first few months I was learning 800 calories and portion sizes and measuring like crazy and now the 800/50 is a way of life. I’ve learnt a lot along the way about planning eating out and not feeling pressured by friends to eat etc all from people on this website and of course drinking lots of water. My latest favourite is the plateau and whoosh cycle that really cheered me on. I started exercising just walking on a treadmill but my osteoarthritis in my knees really played up. So off to see the consultant and two knee replacements planned the first in January. I am so grateful that I started back in May or else I’m not sure they would have agreed to the surgery.

As to relaxing the programme I don’t think I can do that until I reach my goal. I have 23 pounds to go to be considered overweight which I hope I can do by the operation. In all honesty that will give me more joy than anything after years of being obese.

I can’t underestimate the support the site has given me I don’t want to bore my friends with the ins and outs of daily dieting and to be frank they are either very thin or very fat and look uncomfortable if I talk about it.

So here’s to the BSDers and thank you.

Please log in or register to post a reply.