Walking how far how fast ??

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

About the only exercise I seem to enjoy is walking but anyideas on distance and speed ?
    I do have a rowing machine maybe I should get this cumbersome piece of apparatus out.
    I’m not starting this plan till Saturday 9 April and am preparing groundwork for it first !

• posted by DJDAussie
    on

Not an expert by any means, but I think the idea is to start at whatever level you are at and increase both speed and distance as you lose weight and get fitter. The suggested walking in the book is to increase to 10,000 steps a day, with intermittent speeds….. but only if you are able. .any exercise is encouraged.

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Hi Alanhypno, walking is generally agreed to be a good intro to increased exercise. Regular brisk as you can walking exercises your lungs and the heart is a muscle so can be persuaded to become more efficient. I bought a cheap treadmill on eBay for £139.99 and it is brilliant. Program 1 takes you for a stroll at speed increasing in 1 kph increments for one minute each to 5 kph and then down again before repeating same. As you select a shorter time for the same program you get the 2 periods of 5 kph closer together. When I started my hear rate was high and it was a bit tricky. Now I can run up to 10 kph but not for long due to high rates but I am making great progress. So walk as far and fast as you can resting between higher intensity bursts and soon the highs will get higher, the recovery shorter and the endurance will increase too. Cardio vascular exercise is anything that increases heart rate and breathing – safely. All the best….

Please log in or register to post a reply.