Vegetarian Fast 800

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Chubster
    on

Hello everyone, ive just ordered my books and will be starting this plan soon and hoping. My added issue is that I am vegetarian , no meat or fish. I can eat all the quorn products though for protein.

Any vegetarians on here that have any experience to share on how they managed and what weight, if any they lost?

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi,
    Because I couldn’t follow the recipes in the book as a vegetarian. I started out by cutting out all the “big white” bread, pasta, pizza, sugar, rice. After a couple of weeks I started to use the fatsecret app on my mobile phone to enter anything I wanted to eat to see what the level of carbs were and tweaked it to keep below 50g of carbs initially. As my carb levels dropped so my hunger reduced I went down to 2 meals a day and 30g of carbs.

I started eating this way in October 17, I am down over 6.5 stone, I feel like I have got my life back, and I am quite comfortable with the idea of eating in a similar way for the rest of my life.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Welcome, Chubster! I was hoping that JGwen would spot your post! She is an amazing success story, and there are
    many of us to draw upon for advice. You are right that vegetarians have an additional challenge, but there are work-
    arounds, and you couldn’t have a better resource than JGwen. The community is filled with them! It is really a
    commitment for life though, and everything returns if carbs are allowed back in at the end of whatever period of
    time you plan to follow the Fast800. Even though I have been in maintenance for a few weeks short of 2 years and
    have upped my calories, I still must keep an eye on the carbs. Very best to you. Please have a look around the forum
    and join in on any threads that are of interest to you. I can promise you warm welcome 🙂

Allie

• posted by Chubster
    on

Thanks JGwen i will have a look at that app, 6.5 stone is amazing!! My trouble is im a sales rep sat in the car all day rushing anout, no time to stop for lunch and end up grabb8ng chocolate and crisps frim the garage, reallybad! I need to get myself organised

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Seaweed, cooking greens (chard, kale, collards, chickory, escarole, mustard, turnip, beet), hemp milk, tofu and more seaweed. Did I mention the seaweed? My vegetarian cousin came over for lunch recently and I served kelp noodles with ginger sesame dressing, baby bok choi, green onions, mushrooms topped with pan-seared marinated tofu slices. She thought they were rice noodles and demanded the recipe. She also snapped up my last bag of kelp noodles on her way out the door. College kids…

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Hi Chubster – I too am a strict vegetarian, no meat , no fish and I lost 42 lb following this way of eating. Cut out all the white carbs, bread, rice, potatoes, pasta. I do eat free range eggs and cheese. It’s easy to boil a couple of eggs or take a piece of cheese and some celery and some nuts with you. Once you stop eating the white carbs your hunger will reduce you will be easily satisfied with a couple of eggs and some salad, The quorn sandwich slices are great for a quick lunch with salad.Home made cream of mushroom soup in a flask is a delicious lunch on the go. As vegetarians we don’t have the same choices but we can still lose weight doing BSD. Nothing nicer than full fat Greek yoghurt with some berries and nuts or a cup of coffee with cream. This way of eating for a vegetarian does take some planning but like JGwen it has worked for us. It took me nine months to lose three stone in 2017 and this is the way I will always eat. Good luck to you in your weight loss journey. There is a helpful recipe section on the forum from which I have made some delicious food. The egg muffins are great for on the go.

• posted by HappyLife
    on

95% vegetarian last 45 years and lost 85 lbs two years ago and 28 lbs since Jan 21st. I only eat a little salmon weekly (3 Oz). Tofu, eggs, cheese, soy “meats”, almonds, are my go to’s for protein.
    Best of luck!!

• posted by Chubster
    on

Thanks Everyone, nice to read vegetarian success stories!

Im really surprised at how easy the first week has been, ive stuck to 800 calories with no bread, pasta, biscuits etc
    Ive opted for lunch of full fat yoghurt with raspberries , ive had this around 1pm then lasted till 6pm and had dinner of 3 egg omelette with mushrooms or Green beans, broccoli etc or quorn with veg or my favourite celeriac soup ( with no bread)

Ive also drunk lots of water, 6 small bottles a day ive been having which is a pain as lots of loo stops however ive had no headaches or anything and infact ive felt more alert and less sluggish.

Ive jumped on the scales this morning and ive lost 5 lbs in 5 days which i think is pretty good so i will definately continue. I have 6 wks before my holiday in May and would love to lose a stone and a half

• posted by HappyLife
    on

I keep my carbs below 20 and have lost 35 lbs in 9 weeks so far and lost many sizes as well. I also love the Simply Keto cookbook and use vegetarian bacon or meat for the meat recipes. Her broccoli, veggie bacon, egg muffins are awesome!

• posted by Chubster
    on

Wow 35lbs in 9 weeks is amazing. Howdo you work outthe quantity of carbs you are eating?

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Hi Chubster,
    I’m not sure what you mean by how do I work out the carbs but if you mean how do I track them I use an app called cronometer which is free and I log everything. It shows all macros, vitamins, and minerals of what you eat.
    👍

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Chubster,
    I use the app fatsecret on my mobile phone, again I log all I eat, but I put everything in before eating to stay within my limits. It tells you the macros.

• posted by Chubster
    on

Thank you ladies ive just downloaded the app, interesting !

Please log in or register to post a reply.