Using frozen foods instead of fresh

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Bill Underwood
    on

Hi All, Not having much time to spend during the day collecting fresh ingredients, I was wondering if anyone had used frozen foods instead and does it make any difference. I purchased a bag of Mediterranean vegetables and had a small piece of cod with 200g of the frozen veggies (With extra garlic). Although it was enjoyable, I was informed frozen was not a good option. Also half of the things I have to eat I do not like too much, so may stick with what I like. Has anyone stayed on the same diet. Lost nearly 5lbs in just two weeks, just want to make sure I am getting my nutritional amount from the food I eat rather then supplements.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

My understanding of frozen foods is that they are better for you because the goodness is held in almost immediately on picking. Some veg is shops can be several weeks old and have lost most of its nutrients. Only thing is, try to defrost naturally as a quick defrost or overcooking to get from frozen to cooked and lose you some nutrients. Whatever works for you.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I certainly have never heard that there is a problem with frozen vegetables, in fact I have used certain frozen vegetables like peas all the way through. As most vegetables can be eaten raw I don’t cook frozen vegetables any longer than fresh ones so they are likely to be a fraction less cooked if anything.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Frozen vegetables are blanched before being frozen, though, so they’re already cooked before you open the bag. That’s why they don’t need much cooking on the kitchen end. Not that that’s bad, mind you. It’s a necessary part of the processing, and the veggies lose no more nutritients than they would have being blanched in the home. Besides, frozen veg tends to start off with more nutrients than fresh grocery store veg because they’re picked at peak ripeness in season and frozen immediately instead of being picked unripe and transported long distances in less than ideal conditions to the supermarkets.

Please log in or register to post a reply.