Ups and Downs :)

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Not deliberately being a wet-blanket . . . just wondering how others deal with this – (if they have been there πŸ™‚ ) Heading into week 6 first time around. Its winter here in Australia . . . this week has been both unseasonably warm and yet now FREEZING and windy! So is this season a tough one to both discard weight AND stay warm, eat cold salads – (Im starting to tire of my MAGNIFICENT stirfrys πŸ™‚ and . . . Im feeling both elated and deflated today. Unsure of the reasons – as I have SO MUCH to be grateful for and acknowledge them all! I have a fridge full of WONDERFUL foodstuffs: King prawns, lamb ribs, beefsteak, salmon steaks, HUGE strawberries which were cheap as . . . and dont feel like any of them! Nor do I feel like chocolate, cake, biscuits etc, – (which I rarely ate anyways!) Its like the enthusiasm has bottomed out. Like Ive proven a point to those who wanted to have me injecting insulin. Kitchen is in disarray as pantry/cupboards are getting yet another cleanout – there is barely a square inch to put a coffee cup on for a hot drink at the moment . . .I have just simply felt overwhelmed . . and walked away to come here and bleat!!! Had a great nights sleep – but beforehand, grazed for maybe an hour while watching TV . . . ALL GOOD ALLOWED THINGS – cashews, feta, olive dip with pork crackle . . . but with little satisfaction . . . now wondering if I was tired and body was looking for fuel to keep me up and awake . . .? Feel good in my clothes after such amazing weight discard during weeks 1-5, took a long drive Saturday to see younger grandson play in his last football match for the season . . . (wasnt enough energy to do this earlier in the season!) – then visited friends of 50 years standing for a cuppa and catchup. Sunday, the facial expression and hugs my younger (adult) son who hadnt seen me for 4 weeks . . . are etched in my memory forever. Add to that, discovering two (once very expensive) scroll armed oldfashioned cane chairs in a road-side cleanup pile . . . which are in a sunny spot just by my front door and adding yet another pretty cottagy bit of character to my tiny home. I can sit there and see pansies, lobelia, lavender and daffodils bursting with colour . . . . and native birds coming in fr a drink from their water dish under the Japanese maple which is getting ready to give me exquisite black/blood/red new foliage in a few shirts weeks. I am SO BLESSED in so many ways. So are my expectations too high . . . or the novelty warn off . . . or just greedy wanting the high every day perhaps . . .? If I am to analyse . . . I kinda feel a little angry . . .? and maybe need another challenge . . .? I really dont know. Hope I havent spoiled anyone’s else’s mood, but my perspective is a little like a shattered mirror . .. cant really see a whole picture right now. xxx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi WoodDuckie – I really hope by the time you read this that it is a new day and your mood is much brighter! πŸ™‚ It is very common to feel a bit flat after the initial euphoria has worn off. From your previous posts, it has been clear that you were very upset, shocked and angry at the medicos and what you have gone through, particularly, when finding out just by chance, that you could dramatically turn things around healthwise just by diet changes! It is totally understandable that you felt so annoyed. If I had been in your shoes, I imagine it would take some time to get rid of the anger towards these experts. Thing is, GPs are not nutritionalists. Diabetic nurses have to follow the guidelines set out by the authoratative bodies. That doesn’t mean to say DNs and GPs are all unsupportive. Some will be and some won’t be. The main thing is that you have shown your DN what a benefit it is to eat this way and hopefully she will start to look into things herself so that she can support others. Have you thought about a bit of meditation or mindfulness? It may help you release the frustration and anger? You’ve probably seen postings about this on other threads. There is some good stuff on Youtube – may be that could be your next challenge? Meanwhile, keep up the good work, keep posting here so that we can support you as you have also supported us. Have a duvet day! That’s my remedy when I’m feel a bit off! πŸ™‚
    Kazzeexx

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Thanks Kazz πŸ™‚ Its been a day I probably needed to go to bed! I started a REAL pantry cull . . . have the “discard” box and cleared the way for the “keepers” to be replaced on their shelf. And then . . . two of the four pins holding the shelf gave up the ghost – shelf collapsed and – everything which had been sorted so nicely had to come out again . . . the pins replaced . . .(I sent a silent thank you that I had some spares and KNEW WHERE THEY WERE!!!) All back in order now . . . and loads of newly washed storage containers which have to have their fate decided! The kitchen has been a warzone all day! I wasnt hungry but around 1pm cooked ginger and coconut king prawns with shallots, leek rings, broccollini and capsicum. I smelled delicious . . . look amazing . . . and while I ate it, prawns were tasteless, veges just remained green – and there was little flavour. Such a disappointment. So at 3pm still unsatisfied, I had some spinach dip and pork crackling niblet/chippy things. Coffee with double cream, warmed and nurtured. Dinner is pork steak – and avocado flavoured with chilli . . . that may be it . . . because I really dont feel like anything but if I dont eat I know my midnight or 2am Ill be hunting down something πŸ™‚ Thanks for the reply and hints . . . Im not really whining . . . just maybe needing to acknowledge we all sometimes just simply have a day of the moon being in Scorpio or something πŸ™‚ And it will pass πŸ™‚ Think the finalising of so many projects has left a bit of a gap as well . . . and a wonderful friend, who is in care about 9-10 hours drive away now – (whereas she use to be about 1.5 and reasonably easy to visit) – is weighing on my mind. As she now whispers most of the time, speaking with her on the phone is very difficult . . . so as of yesterday, my aim is . . . in around three – four weeks time, while my grand-daughters whom I help out with every Monday are on school holidays – load up my car, collect my sister-in-law on the way and go visit her πŸ™‚ Those plans may need to be my next project πŸ™‚ Thanks again dear fellow BSD’er πŸ™‚

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Sounds like an excellent plan, to see your friend and with the company of your sis in law. A road trip in fact! πŸ™‚

• posted by Violinist
    on

Woodduckie, You have accomplished so much in such a short time. I look up to you. It is understandable that you might have a down day once in a while. I hope this note finds you in a more positive state.

On another note, I wanted to let you know I spent my 16th year as an exchange student in Northbridge, near Sydney. I attended Monte Sant Angelo school in the year 1973. Just loved it!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Kazz is right, road trips are good for the soul. Hi Kazz!

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Thnx and yes . . . maybe another focus is the best antidote for now πŸ™‚

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Wow! Nice suburb Northbridge . . . sad to report the Sydney you knew then is long gone . . . keep your memories of the then close to you as it once was a great place . . .:)

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Violinist! πŸ™‚ WoodDuckie, in 1968 to 1973 my parents were Β£10 poms, taking us all over to Oz. We started off in St Kilda, then went to Cheltenham, Dandenong and lastly Chelsea, all in Victoria. I have a lot of happy memories as the beach was only over the road. I tried google mapping the old address but didn’t recognise the avenue! Think there must have been regeneration!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Woodduckie, what is different in Sydney? The Sydney I k ew was easy to walk around in and friendly

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

[post deleted]

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Sadly the Sydney you once knew is no longer πŸ™ Please read my other posting here πŸ™

• posted by Verano
    on

Ahh WoodDuckie your words make me sad. I’ve not been in Sydney for 15 years and have fond memories of a great holiday. I would love to get to Australia just one more time but maybe I should remember it as it was.

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

Funny you should talk about a stale-mate mood… as I’ve been having a similar sort of ‘almost don’t care’ too. I put it down to trying hard but slightly down as I’ve paused in losing weight, although *I think* my shape is still improving.
    I too think focusing on getting away to see your ill friends sounds like a great idea. Maybe motivate yourself to do a few more small projects before you go too.
    I haven’t dared to totally clear out cupboards as the lost food (& it’s cost wasted) will be awful. Although I will take it all to a friend when I hope to go and see him next month.
    Perhaps the ‘all good food’ no longer gives us a ‘kick’ or vitimin ‘high’ ? Perhaps those boost of nutrients level off?
    Maybe pick foodstuffs you’ve not had in a while… like hummous and cucumber sticks? or go totally vegetarian for 2 days ?

I have noticed many recipes say use semi-skimmed, but why is that? I thought it was good to use whole milk? Or is this to cut the calories ?? Seems a little hypocritical perhaps?
    But you used cream ? I’ve stuck with my tea and milk. But as I’ve lost SO little lately I’m wondering if I just have to cut back on everything even more !

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hold them close as do I my friend. The harbour is still beautiful, certain iconic buildings still stand proud as reference to our beginnings . . . The Rocks has lost most of its charm as the piers have now been remodelled and hold eateries and apartments . . . $Millions . . . new creations such as Barangaroo are lovely . . . but its individuality has been shrouded by yuppy councillors ordering one off art pieces which dont enhance – then demanding changes which would be fine in the right setting – (like pushbikes idea which works in Copenhagen – (Ive been there and seen it!) It is flat and with a much smaller population – but they dont aid anyone getting up the George Street hill or going to Bondi! – down to Pyrmont! – rather back UP from Pyrmont . . . and are abandoned where they fall. But I dont need to mar yours – (or my) – memories πŸ™‚

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Oh so pleased to read your post Aurora! Sounds like you have the empathy of experience I needed to hear!!! I live alone, dont use recipes, and thus far, I havent counted calories. All that, was too regimented and confusing for my depressed state that was going on at the time. Achieving excellent results with that strategy was heartening to say the least . . . So in the beginning – to make the transition one less hurdle, I chose things from the lists that I like/liked and concentrated on those . . . that made it way easier. I have never been a vegetable girl . . . even growing up and my dad growing them! so we had the best!!! With this programme, I found short cuts . . . like buying the bag of stirfry and some additives like onions, leeks, shallots, avocado, bokchoy. Ive just had bacon, egg, and tomato for brunch . . .(while not turning in until almost midnight, sleeping until 11am! boy I must have been tired!!) Im still hungry!!! and have had some cashews . . . and a kinda treat which is made up of peanut butter, coconut, LSA meal, pressed into a shape and rolled in chia seeds. Even that didnt hit the spot. Lamb is in the oven for (my) later hot meal and some cold cuts . . . Coffee has just been made and at 50/50 whole milk and water . . . Im about to add a dollop of cream with make it thicker. It is SO COLD today, and the wind is howling . . . Im thinking, with it being mid-winter and me CHANGING my “fuel”, discarding SO MUCH weight . . . the cycle of my body is out of kilter. Usually our body rests in winter and comes out of its shell in Spring . . . . . but Im determined not to break out and do something silly . . . I might just eat a little more of the good stuff today . . . and do my best to satisfy whatever it is my body is asking for – but only from my choice for it . . . not what it might be demanding πŸ™‚ Re the low-fat/no-fat – low sugar/no sugar way of thinking . . . via the “information Panels” . . . the carbs are high . . . and even if recommended by Diabetes Advisors/Dieticians . . . ALL those things have gone from my pantry. Some still current unopened containers went to the drought appeal . . . another box of unopened, partially used etc stuff is being passed on to a friend with no dietary issues, who does it tough . . . Seems I wasnt giving myself enough (GOOD) FAT! and maybe my body has transitioned . . . has not a lot of “fat on board” to keep up with me now!!! Who knows . . .? But it is interesting thinking of all the possibilities!

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

Aww WoodDuckie that so very kind of you to say! πŸ™‚ Thanks.
    I just know I#m going up and down, but I’ve a fair bit going on… stopped hrt, on drugs after the op. About to go into another op and now 1 of the people who who has 1 of my little horses on loan needs to let her go! So now trying to find another temporary home for her!
    Anyway yes I agree, truly understanding the whole picture for this way of eating is key to helping us achieve our goals! πŸ™‚
    I want to lose weight and lower my cholesterol. Although it’s goen up and down in numbers over recent years it’s generally climbing and far far too high. Dr’s want me to go on statins and all that .. but I refuse, they make me vague and I’m unconvinced that they are truly good for me. So if I can find a way to do this through diet then this is excellent.
    So I can try and stay focused on the ‘final goal’ = healthy, eating well and try and give my slowly aging body the best chance of ‘growing a bit older gracefully’… and lower cholesterol / lose weight. My knees will be grateful too! πŸ˜€

• posted by Verano
    on

WoodDuckie yes let’s hold onto the β€˜old’ memories and who knows maybe I’ll be able to make some good new ones day. In the not too distant future hopefully as time is definitely moving on! Lots of people do/ have complained of feeling cold eating this way but I do think in time everything settles down.
    Aurora there is lots of new/newish research on statins. My doctor was desperate to get me to take them but I just kept resisting because my cholersterol level always was, and still is 5.2. The problem seems to be, for me, that the goal posts have moved, but my normal is still my β€˜normal β€˜! There is a book by Aseem Malhotra in which he says that statins have never added one day to the life of someone put on statins but who has not had heart problems previously. It looks like using statins as a preventative medication may very well have no effect. Do some reading around the subject. Unless your doctor can demonstrate a really good reason for taking statins maybe you should keep questioning him/her.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Good morning from Downunder Aurora πŸ™‚ I was speaking to a neighbour of my son’s a few weeks ago. A youngish man (in comparison to myself!) – he had had a heart attack a few years back – and while under sufference and instruction, ceased work while keeping himself busy and working on his health/fitness. Interestingly, with my issues fresh in conversation, we were comparing foods we are/were eating and their effects on our bodies. He was astonished that rolled oats sent my BSL’s skyrocketting . . . when in fact HE with cholesterol issues had been told to eat them – and his cholesterol levels had dropped dramatically!!! . . . the other side of that coin . . . my cholesterol levels have ALWAYS been VERY LOW – (to the point where for many years I was given TWO tests to check if the first one was a mistake!!!) – even though I havent ALWAYS had oats for breakfast. Maybe THAT is something for you to check out πŸ™‚ All my oats and muesli have been donated elsewhere as a result of my discovery πŸ™‚

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

Hi WoodDuckie ,

Yes that is very interesting. I’ve learn too that Chia seeds are excellent for cholesterol… so I’m slowly learning a food ‘toolbox’ to deal with cholesterol. πŸ™‚ From therre I can adapt the best recipes to tune the meals to give the cholesterol a run for it’s money and hopefully it’ll go into low numbers ! πŸ™‚
    Yes I know that oats are good although the book says course oats are best but a little longer to cook. So once I’ve got through my rolled oats I’ll buy course! πŸ˜€ The ‘no bircher’ breakfast recipe uses it. πŸ˜€
    I think I’ll get a monitor for it so that I can check how I’m doing. Sadly I couldn’t get the nurses today to agree to check it… as they can’t do any ‘extra’ tests! (Saving the nhs money!). Every penny counts I guess!
    I have lost weight but not so much – now 10st 4.5lb. so it’s reducing at least ! Hoping to work hard and get to 9st by xmas – just over 18wks away!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.