Two weeks in and not losing what I thought

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Slimfast65
    on

Hi everyone so glad I found this place. Have googled a hundred times and this is the first time I have seen it!
    I started the 800 calorie diet two weeks ago.
    Week one lost 4lb
    Week two lost nothing.
    Now I noticed that I have to count carbs too is this right? I thought we just had to count the calories.
    I have been using slimfast as it is easier to keep count of the calories and both my husband and I are disabled and he does all the cooking now. He can’t cook fancy meals, mainly does things out of a box with salad etc so I thought this would be the easiest way for me to do the first 8 weeks.
    Have noticed the snacks with slimfast are 16 carbs if I drop these and just have three and a half bars a day which is 29 carbs a day would that be ok?
    Thanks for any help.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Slimfast65. When Professor Taylor did his original research he used ‘shakes’ as it was easier to assess the results. However, the Blood Sugar Diet is based on ‘real food’. If this is to be a long term fix, and it needs to be if you want to control your T2 by Diet alone, then you need to change your eating habits.

This way of eating is based on low carb healthy fat eating , LCHF, and if you haven’t read the Blood Sugar Diet book I suggest you give it a go. It makes a lot of sense and gives a good explanation of why carbs are a problem, especially for people with diabetes.

You really don’t have to be a ‘fancy’ cook but the basic principals are no bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. Plenty of vegetables, that grow above the ground, salad etc. and protein from eggs, fish, chicken and meat occasionally. If you search in the box above you find lots of links to ‘good low carb food’, ‘101ways with cauliflower’. There are lots of ideas of simply cooked foods and soups which are a great stand-by.

As I said, the basics of this way of eating are LCHF so get yourself an app or PC program to count your carbs etc. Lots of people use myfitnesspal or Fatsecret although there are others out there as well. It really helps to plan, weigh your food and count carbs etc. In the first few weeks/ months. Good luck and enjoy your journey.

• posted by Slimfast65
    on

Thanks Verano. I have been carb counting for years and my weight just stayed the same which is why I am doing this.
    For now just to get started it is easier for me with the bars already calorie counted. I will however go back to eating food once I have lost a good bit of weight. I do have the book but due to my fibromyalgia I find it really hard to retain anything I read and have to keep restarting the book. I just wanted to confirm what the carb allowance was for the initial 800 calorie 8 week diet. :0)

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Slimfast65 I have just replied to Lynnedb on ‘how many carbs’ so maybe take a look at that. Enjoy the journey however you plan on travelling!

• posted by Slimfast65
    on

Thank you so much :0)

• posted by Fernie
    on

Also, you mention eating three bars, and snacks.. The principles in the book rule out snacking, as it doesn’t allow your body to go so readily into fat burning.. Its not a bad thing to be hungry between meals, it means you enjoy and savour your meals and look forward to them. Three meals and no snacks, or even brunch and dinner- two meals per day as suggested for weekends or any day should be sufficient.

• posted by Slimfast65
    on

I had the snacks to make up the 800 calories but will not be eating them anymore as they are too high in carbs.
    Thanks for the reply.

Please log in or register to post a reply.