Trapped wind

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Greenbear
    on

Sorry for this but both my husband and I have been on BSD forever nearly a fortnight are really loving it. We have both lost weight, him 13lbs and me 11 so are chuffed to bits!

However we are both really suffering with severe trapped wind and bloating. Very very uncomfortable and is not being relieved by the obvious! Is this because of the change in diet and will settle down? We are being very strict and using MFP to log carbs etc. Any help would be so appreciated – I’m hoping for my waist to shrink not swell!

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

I do not know Greenbear, but when it happens to me I tend to drink a lot more, especially warm calorie-free stuff like green tea or herbal tea and it seems to help. It seems contradictory that bloating is helped by drinking more, but in general that is always the advice. Drink for England, someone suggested! i am sure that some other good ideas will come from posters.

• posted by Greenbear
    on

Many thanks for the reply – I have been wondering if we are drinking enough but it’s getting to be awful. We can’t sleep because of it and it’s so uncomfortable!

• posted by Frog
    on

Ginger tea is supposed to be very good for this – or ginger generally, but fresh ginger as a tea is really simple to make

also, have you tried using the search box for any previous threads or comments on the subject? Top right hand corner of the screen

• posted by cmawp
    on

I had similar issues in the first few weeks. I drank lots if water, went for a very long walk and had a few espressos followed by a pint of water. Sorted!

Exercise helps me, and I’m only talking walking here. Because I was putting less food in to my system, I felt it needed help ‘moving along’ so exercise and water were key.

I think the bloating comes from things sitting inside us for too long.

• posted by Avila
    on

I agree about exercise aiding movement…. a session on the rebounder/mini trampoline is a great help when feeling clogged.

• posted by Greenbear
    on

Thanks so much for the replies. For me it has now got really bad and I’ve ended up going to the doctor. I hate going as I’m really scared of doctors from a small child so it was a big deal to go. Basically I’ve become very very constipated and my tummy has swelled up by 10″! Doctor wasn’t very sympathetic and just said oh classic IBS – you may have to live with the trapped wind and bloatedness! But I’m determined to not let it get me down. I’m now on fybogel which seems to be very slowly working but I’m still very constipated! But I’m having blood tests in 3 weeks and she wants to test for coeliac and so I’m having a slice of toast in the morning which I resent! My tummy swells up again and I’m desperate to lose the weight and feel well again. Thanks for all the input x

Please log in or register to post a reply.