Training question..

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Anna-Maria
    on

Hi, I started BSD two weeks ago tomorrow, and it’s going really welI. I lost 2,6 kilos and lost 6cm round the stomach the first week and I’m looking forward to weight in tomorrow. Only 22kg to loos 😃 to get a healthier life, with no sugar addiction!! I lost my both parents in hart attach and stroke to early. They both were diabetics and not overweight.
    To my question.. the 11 of February I have to do a cross country ski for 30km, can I go through with this on 800 calories ? I will be in my 5:the week. I really want to do this because then I have done the Swedish “Lady classic”
    (This to be done in one year-100km cykling, 1000m swimming, 10km running and the last one ..cross country skiing ) Can you please give me some advice?
    Thank you

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

You are not diabetic so it doesn’t matter if your blood glucose goes low but how will you feel. I suspect you will be weak and shaky on 800 cals and would increase the day before and have a good meal i.e. omelette with mushrooms and crème fraiche. Make sure you have a snack with you, something like nuts and seeds and raising, easy to carry and easy to nibble on. When I said go over the 800 cals it does not mean to carb load although you could have some porridge.

Others in your position i.e. non-diabetic and sporty, will come on and advise, this is just my opinion and not from prior experience although I do have a snack if my BG is low before swimming but just a couple of prunes and some Greek yoghurt.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Anna-Maria — welcome to the posts and good start on your BSD journey! I like your Swedish-Lady-Classic — we need one of those in the US!
    I’m a big cross-country skier (swimmer, hiker) and I have been on the BSD for a year so I have some good experience with big exercise days and following the BSD.
    I seriously recommend that you eat more calories on your big cross-country ski days, but, and here’s the important point, eat your calories in a low-carbohydrate way — add in more fat and protein to compensate for your big expenditure of calories.
    Also, take a flask of tea or soup with you on the trail and drink a lot as you go along to keep fully hydrated.
    Where will your cross-country event be held? We usually ski in California but we are going to Venabu Norway next month to ski in the Rondane National Park — we love cross-country skiing there– it is incredible!
    Best wishes for your cross-country event! Let us know how you do!
    Julia

• posted by Anna-Maria
    on

I hope that I have stabilized my BS at that time. Before I could have problems with feeling shaky and week after a training. I have not felt that this latest two weeks.
    I will bring nuts and raisins with me and fill up with good proteins the day before. And take it easy.
    Thank you.

• posted by Anna-Maria
    on

Thank you Julia! the event is the 11 of February and the name is Kristinaloppet. I agree with you Norway is fantastic, been there a couple of times but only on summer. I wish you a lovely stay in Norway.

on

Hi Anna-Maria — I think by the 11th of February you should be past the shaky/low blood sugar thing — but maybe watch yourself carefully during your training days to see and evaluate your own body’s response.
    The really good thing about finally getting to the true fat-burning stage is that you don’t crash the same way — you are burning fat and it just doesn’t leave a person with absolutely no fuel.
    But I would eat more food for sure — you will not wreck the diet by eating on the really big exercise days — you will burn off the excess and you will need the power.
    Sounds very fun! You go girl!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Anna-Maria and Californiagirl, I too am going to Norway this year, 30th April cruising around the fjords. Brrrrrrr but should be fantastic scenery.

on

Oh that’s wonderful sunshine girl! I have fallen in love with Scandinavia in the past few years but especially Norway. I have not seen the fjords yet — we have only been skiing but I want to go back again in the warmer months. You’ll have to let us know how it is in April.
    To expand my “northern resume” we are going also to Luosto, Finland this year (in February) to see the aurora borealis — sp.? — and to enjoy winter activities. The funny thing is that we have been hopelessly in drought in California for almost five years but this winter is a huge blowout with 200x normal rain and snow (I know JMarie41 has been talking about it) in many areas and now I am leaving a great California winter to go visit….more winter! LOL!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.