To bean or not to bean?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Fredforest
    on

I like pulses, especially mixed beans, am I wrong to have these as a meal? I tend to have about 100-120 gm chillied for a meal.

Will this be ok as I am getting mixed messages as to the carb content, I thought beans were ok, high fibre protein with low carb.

• posted by Cazzowary
    on

Beans are in the Mediterranean diet and they are certainly in the book so if you like beans, eat beans. They have carbs but they are not simple carbs, they’re complex carbs with a good amount of protein so they’ll give you energy for a longer period of time. From what I’ve seen, some people seem to be following a traditional low carb diet and hence some of the posts about too many carbs but I’m following the diet as written by Michael- I know I find traditional low carb/ketogenics too hard to stick with.

Enjoy your beans 🙂

• posted by Zandranna
    on

I too am eating beans. Next week I plan to make a 3 bean casserole. As far as I can make out when reading Micheal’s book, pulses are an important part of the diet. They contain good carbs and also protein.

• posted by sheilaslims
    on

I made a chilli using 5% minced beef and kidney beans so I’m hoping that’s OK. I’m definitely losing weight but its early days as I’m in my first week – day 7! What I’ve done is make meals, use only complex carbs, lots of green veg, lean meat, lots of spices and herbs. Perhaps I should stick to the meals in the book?

• posted by Fredforest
    on

To bean it is then. There are very mixed messages, as you would expect, on the WWW.

• posted by Zandranna
    on

What I believe is that we can’t trust anything on the web at the moment because all the old information tells us to eat low fat or fat free. Even some of the 5 – 2 diet websites are giving recipes using skimmed milk and specifically listing low fat ingredients.

I think it’s going to take a while before information starts slowly changing around the web as more people realise that fat isn’t bad for us but sugar is.

• posted by Michael (BSD Admin)
    on

Beans and pulses are great – as Cazzowary says they contain complex carbs and a good amount of protein.
    There is a bit of confusion about carbs as this is not a very low carb diet, and it certainly isn’t a low fat diet. We encourage you to enjoy a moderate amount of healthy fats, including full fat dairy products. Will be writing a post for The Blood Sugar Diet about the recent research in the area.

• posted by Teapotcosy
    on

Recipes call for 1/2 or 1/4 tin of beans – can the remainder be frozen in portions?

• posted by Megsy
    on

I’m vegetarian & have been eating 100g of mixed pulses every day. I’m on day 12 today & have lost 5.5kg (12lbs) so it certainly does not slow down weigh loss!

Please log in or register to post a reply.