To add to my confusion……..

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Leeanne
    on

I’ve just listened to Jeremy Vine talking to Dr Mosley on I-player from Monday 27th June on Radio 2. It was aimed at pre-diabetes. (I’ve been type 2 for 5 years).
    I’ve managed to get myself into the pre-diabetic blood range after several weeks BSD. However I’m still a stone over my maximum ideal weight, BMI of 27, but have halved the Metformin.
    My query is this: If I carry on losing, will I be able to get in the “normal” bloods range – I.e. an enviable 5 range? Is it the time factor of 8 weeks quick weight loss or is it the amount lost that counts? I consider myself unlucky as my dad (who’s never been overweight has type 2) and my mum was borderline but lost 3st and avoided medication although still has the annual diabetic checks, so maybe genetics played a part for me.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi Leanne

I’m not an expert, but it seems from this forum that the key to improving blood sugars is losing the visceral fat around the organs, and ‘re-setting’ the insulin response, and this is best done by low carb eating. So not necessarily dependent on total weight loss. It’s resetting the hormone response inside you.

All my extra reading confirms that low carb can help a number of other conditions too.

So I think you should press on with this changed lifestyle – you might consider counting and restricting your carbs more, to ensure you are under 50g per day – and who knows, the results may work out for you. They have for lots of other people here. 🙂

Good luck!

Please log in or register to post a reply.