Tips that work for me – Lost 10 kilos in 22 days.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by spcox
    on

I don’t see any threads that are stuck on the forum so I thought I would put this one out there. I’ve had some good success with the BSD and I’m only 22 days in so far. Here are some tips that help me through:

– Hungry during the meal times – go for a quick walk or drink water. Initially, I’d have a coffee with a dash of milk until I realised milk had 7 calories per tblsp. I didn’t go to skim milk, I just cut it out of my coffee/tea completely.
    – Make meals simple, but not boring. The more complex they are, the more likely you’re going to make a mistake and add extra calories. In moderation, simple spices and flavoured salts can improve flavour.
    – Calories are everywhere and, with the exception of water, in everything.
    – Don’t like eating a massive plate of vegetables or salad meal after meal – No one does. And you shouldn’t. Veg and salad contain calories. A massive plate of veg or salad could easily exceed 250 calories per meal.
    – Don’t bother trying to purchase lots of oil/sugar/flour replacements to try and re-create foods you like, such as brownies, biscuits, etc. They aren’t as good – they never are. You will be frustrated, poor, don’t know how to use them properly (so likely to add calories) and your pantry will be full of things you’ll eventually throw out. This sort of food is fine when you’ve really got into the swing of things and have mastered discipline. Don’t start too early.
    – To spoil yourself, have a massage, get a hair cut, do whatever makes you feel as though you’re pampering yourself that doesn’t involve food. This is very important. It is critical for me to have things that make me feel good that aren’t eating
    – I have started finding good quality coffee and tea. If I’m drinking it by itself, it had better be good.
    – Don’t cheat or have something “just this time” for the first week. Once I started seeing results, you’ll probably not want to cheat for the following weeks.
    – If you have to snack, almonds are good (7 calories each). Eaten one at a time.
    – At dinner, drink a half a glass of water in between mouthfuls or aim to drink three glasses of water during dinner. Have a jug on the table is a good way to ensure you stick to this.
    – I do 30 to 40 minutes of brisk walking on a walking machine everyday. I don’t jog or run and I never do more than 40 mins per session. Sometimes I’ll do two 30 minute sessions when I can co-ordinate it with my life (doesn’t always work). Try not to compare what other people in the gym are doing. Everyone is different. They have their own demons. Just because they are running, doesn’t mean anything – they are probably looking at of the person on the rowing machine thinking should I be doing that?! Do what works for you.

I’m interested to hear what other tips others have for worked for others.

• posted by sydneygirl
    on

Hi there

Thanks for the tips. I have just started this week so the tips have come at the right time!

I’ve looked at the treat section in the book and I thought hmmm! But best to do it when I have a couple of wins under my belt.

I agree on keeping meals simple. Ive been eating the same thing every day this week for breakfast and lunch so it takes the thinking out of it at least until I get comfortable. That would be my tip.

Doing fun/nice things is a great idea. A cheap treat I would recommend is taking a 20-30 minute detox bath with Epsom salts. Helped me through my recent detox.

• posted by saloh
    on

hi there, sounds organised! Ive found that pushing for brunch daily, so just having 2 meals helps me not being so stressed about exceeding amounts, the forum is really useful for sure, poached eggs really fill you up especially with avocado, its important to exercise. I seem to have had a good first week, lost 4lbs but a long way to go. The hardest thing is the limbo I feel left in by cravings but at the same time those cravings seem to teach me why I was eating bread for example. Losing an easy self reward needs to be tackled, also the sense of indulgence. Saying all that on the whole, Im really pleased to be on this path, if feels right. I feel less up and down, not drinking is tough because I do enjoy the social aspect of it, but I know I can’t for now.

• posted by Collie
    on

spcox
    Thank you for your post i agree with you. defo do not try to replace the ‘nortys’. They are there for treats on special occasions. Thanks

• posted by monabee
    on

Thank You Spcox!
    These are very helpful tips. I am wondering when you exercise? Is it best for you in the pm? or am? I know I would do best with both. Hitt training alternating with strength in am (10-15 minute wake up calls!) and walking in pm

I lost 10 lbs my first week, and although following the program- gained a pound overnight to begin week 2. What I did differently though- is a had about 140 calories left after an early dinner (finished eating about 430 pm) and decided to have a chocolate whey protein shake with 140 calls at about 700pm. I also walked about 30 mins in the pm and thought things would be OK- well- they were not! So I wonder about 2 things as a result to improve upon towards fast weight loss success:
    1) keeping my eating window at about 8hours and fasting window at 16 hours may help- no pm snacking!

2) too much protein. I am eating normal healthy food which has plenty of protein, and the whey protein shakes push me way over the top of my needs. I read from Micheal’s first book (The fast diet) today that we require about 50 grams of protein, and I had 2 shakes yesterday which each had 25 grams of protein- and then had a high protein plough man’s lunch also, and fish and shrimp with dinner. So I topped out at 100 grams of protein- so I am going to work towards 50 grams protein, 30 grams carb or less, and more fat to make up the difference- & see how that goes

I don’t know if these will work yet- but I am going to give it a try and give you a report in a few days 🙂

• posted by spcox
    on

Hi Monabee,
    I try and exercise both am and pm. 30 mins brisk walking in the morning is best for me. Then if I get too busy, my exercise is already done (better-half’s idea). In the afternoon, I try and squeeze in another 30 mins or some exercises.

It’s great that you lost 10lbs in the first week. Well done. I’ve previously gained between 1/2 to 2 pounds for no seemingly obvious reason at all. I have postponed fasting for the current diet. I don’t try and integrate the BSD and Fast diet together. That is a little extreme for me.

I’m interesting to know how things are progressing by monitoring your protein.

Yesterday, I had 40 gms of protien (from cheese in and on pizza) and veg curry for dinner. I weighed 1/2 pound extra this morning. I’m at a loss, but assume it is part of the rhythm of the body.

• posted by monabee
    on

Hi spox;

well- the pound I gained is slowly coming off. I’m keeping protein at about 60 grams- I think this will be realistic for me and would not want to do less than that. Closely watching carbs- keeping them at about 30- 40 grams.

The fasting window is actually going OK. Not really too much of a hardship for me and continue to hope it will help. The evidence for doing it is quite good.

I do hope for success like you have had. Bottom line though is I feel much better already. My energy levels are better, mood better, and I do “feel” my body changing in a good way. Very happy about that! And will be thrilled when the next 10 pounds come off also.

Hang in there spox! and it seems from the other posts that these little speed bump gains happen, or a plateau happens, then we go on losing again.

Please log in or register to post a reply.