Tips on Increasing Water Intake

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by ToriPunk1987
    on

Hi everyone!
    I am new to the forum, and have been doing the diet now since the 2nd January and feel good so far!
    One thing I am struggling with is keeping my water intake up high. I’m having a few cups of tea in the morning (splash of milk), and having one or two herbal teas in the afternoon / evening.
    But drinking normal water, I am only managing to intake a pint or two at maximum.
    I’ve always been terrible at making sure I’m drinking water, so I’ve tried adding things to it (mint, lemon or similar!)

Any tips that you lovely people have to help give me that boost and increase my intake would be very much appreciated!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Welcome, ToriPunk, couple of things I used to do:
    1, if I went into the kitchen at any point during the day, I drank a 200ml glass of water.
    2, draw 10 glasses on the notice board and pur a line through one, each time I took a drink, do I could instantly see how well (or not) I was doing.

Now it’s much more of a habit, so I no longer use these prompts. I know others have used phone apps which give a reminder ever half hour or so. Hopefully one of these strategies will help you.

Good places to go on the forum for help and encouragement, are the Easter and One Week at a Time thread, so maybe consider joining in on either or both. They are both populated by newcomers and seasoned BSDers and there is a wealth of knowledge based advice to tap into. All best wishes to you, whatever approach you choose …

• posted by Squidge
    on

Sunny’s idea of drinking water whenever you go into the kitchen is a great one. I try to do this and as well as helping me drink more, it can be a distraction against reaching for snacks!

If you watch TV, listen to music, play computer games or anything like that, always have a large glass of water within reach. Chances are you’ll drink some without even noticing – just as we used to eat biscuits or crisps in such situations!

• posted by ToriPunk1987
    on

Hi Sunny / Squidge,

Thank you both so much for those tips! Actually a notice board would be a great idea, as I’m working from home at the moment it makes sense to have something in the kitchen to prompt me to drink more, so I’ll look into that!

Thank you also for the recommendation for other forums. I shall jump on and have a look there.

Thanks again!

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Just an extra note, I have a few cups of black coffee in the morning and I try to make myself drink a big glass of water while i wait for the kettle to boil, each time!
    I find this much easier when working from home. Not so disciplined when I’m in the office, and when I’m at home and not working i tend to forget.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Your fluid intake doesnt have to be water. You can include tea and coffee or even soup. There is also water in your food so dont worry too much if you dont reach a magic number, just try to get into what is a good habit.

Please log in or register to post a reply.