Tips for autism/SPD/low mood

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Tay74
    on

Hi! I’m looking to start the BSD 800 in a few weeks to help fix my high blood sugar/prediabetes. Unfortunately, I have Sensory Processing Disorder along with my Autism which means I’m pretty restricted in what I can eat, and I was just wondering if there was anyone here who also has heavily restricted eating who has been able to move onto this diet, particularly the sub-set of us who like dry crunchy foods e.g mostly carbs :’)

Also, any tips for sticking with a diet when your mood gets low? I have 2-5 weeks periods of low mood basically every few weeks, which has made diets such s the 5:2 or low carb diets difficult to stick to in the past, I don’t find eating better or exercise really helps, so it would be useful to know if anyone had any tips for how to not fall off the wagon when things get more difficult 🙂

Thank you!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Tay74,
    I am an Aspie, and have some sensory issues around food, its the texture of meat I can’t take and the scent of fish and don’t even get me started on how repulsive custard is. I started on this way of eating in October last year and so far have lost 90lbs. – I still have a couple of dress sizes to go but at present my body seems to be remodelling my arms and legs again and saving the spare tyre. :-}
    My experience has been that by going very low carb, aiming for under 20g, but I can’t always manage that because most veggie protein sources have some carbs in them so I am normally around 30g a day as been the key to breaking free from cravings for carbs. I simply used one of the apps, myfatsecret on my phone to check the carb levels of everything I felt like eating before eating it. – There are low carb crunchy things out there, radishes and celery for example, it just takes a little time at the start to get into the swing of this way of eating.
    The cravings for carbs eased after a time. I still have times when I am stressed out and all I want to do is curl up under a blanket and eat something “nice”. But on those days I don’t count calories and just focus on the carbs. and the positive is in that case things like a creamy coffee feels a rich option. I did see an article a while ago which speculated that low carb is helpful for people on the spectrum because it reduces the level of sensory overload. I have been thinking about it over recent months and I have noticed that the periods of wanting to shut out the world have reduced in frequency and duration but I don’t know if that is because the weight loss gives me the freedom to do other things I enjoy which prevents the pressure building up as much.
    Don’t think if you fall off the wagon that you have failed, we have all fallen off the wagon dusted our selves off and got back on again. Its part of the process of realising that carbs are addictive.

Please log in or register to post a reply.