Time to change any help greatly appreciated

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Jenko1973
    on

Hi my name is Julian and I’m 43 and it is time for me to change.

I am 19st 7 and want to get down to 14 stone. I suffer from high blood pressure and constant headaches and dizziness and my doctor says it’s all weight related so now is the time to do something about it.

I own a sports media company and have a big summit on November 17 and want to lose as much weight as I can by then and feel great.

This would be my first real checkpoint on a longer journey.

I haven’t read the book yet, but will this week so any help and support would be amazing thank you.

Regards
    Julian

• posted by Gardengreen
    on

Hi Julian, there are many of us here who’ve been in exactly that position. The key is to realise that sugar and carbs have to go, probably forever. And fat which we’ve all avoided for so long is not the enemy after all. Don’t drink diet drinks, drink tea, coffee, water, fizzy water, herbal tea. Try not to have artificial sweeteners. And I find it much easier to avoid fruit. There are no nutrients in fruit that you won’t find in veg. Sign up with myfitnesspal or something similar and weigh and count calories for everything you eat. The first few days are tough as you will be hungry but that soon passes. I’ve found that eating a little extra fat has really helped, but you don’t get much for 800 calories a day! Basically you can have 3 small meals a day and no snacks. Eat plenty of leafy green veg to fill you up. Good luck!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Welcome!

Some great advice from Gardengreen there.

I would add – once you’ve read the book plan your meals ahead of time with the good food.

If you are planning on cooking, get yourself some small scales so you can check your weights – easy to make small but important mistakes when you guess. Entering everything in to My Fitness Pal or alternative does really keep you on track.

Depending on how many carbs you eat now, you may have physical effects – carb flu – as you stop eating them. So be prepared and keep going through this.

Measure yourself as well as weigh – the book recommends this – either with a tape or some clothes, so if weight stays level you can see your shape changing, as it will.

And prepare to find lots of food you will really really enjoy as your tastebuds return. Yes, they really do!

Lots of great advice here – use the SEARCH box in right. And post any questions, your successes and failures here. People will help.

Good luck 🙂

• posted by Gardengreen
    on

Ah yes! Good advice about planning ahead. I found that when I didn’t I would end up with 50 calories left for dinner😟

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Welcome JULIAN x good luck! You cant go far wrong if you follow Gardengreen and Igors excellent tips.

• posted by Avila
    on

Hi Julian,

I am 41, was just under 16st and 5 ft 10 on blood pressure meds for 2 yrs. In a month of the BSD I was a stone down and getting light headed, my blood pressure was low because I didn’t need the meds anymore. Went to GP and was signed off the meds.

Life got chaotic after that and I didn’t stick to the diet fully, but still on the BP all clear. Trying to get going again as need to lose 2 more stone. But definitely worth doing, be organised, don’t have temptation in the house if you are free to do that.

Having a target event/date is a good motivator…

Go for it!

• posted by Jenko1973
    on

Thank you all so much for your help. Is it possible for someone to show what a week of food looks like on a daily basis so I can get some ideas for breakfast,lunch and dinner.

Thanks again

• posted by shalimar
    on

My stove isn’t working and i don’t really cook. I have an electric frying pan and 1 electric element so i don’t really do recipies anyway.
    “”The Blood Sugar Diet is based on eating a low carbohydrate Mediterranean style diet. This contains few refined, starchy carbohydrates (because these convert rapidly to sugar in your blood), lots of green and coloured vegetables, plenty of protein and, you may be pleased to hear, it also includes moderate amounts of healthy fats such as olive oil and even some dairy products such as full fat unsweetened yoghurt to keep you feeling full for longer.””
    is from the basic Blood Sugar Diet tab on this website.

Eggs for breakfast (or whenever i feel like it) in some form. Occasionally with bacon. or non starchy veggies … in any form you like.
    snacks … small handful of nuts seeds
    lunch or supper … tuna, salmon … canned, drained with Miracle Whip or mayonnaise with chopped celery or maybe water chesnuts or something like that
    small quantity of large flake oatmeal, 1/2 cup? … i pour over boiling water and let sit for 5 min. …. can put in some berries, apple, cinnamon … bit of xylitol (I don’t like my oatmeal mushy) and/or

plain full fat yoghurt, greek style … add some berries … some chopped nuts, seeds,

suppers … meat or chicken maybe with salad with olive oil and your favorite vinegars

I make a huge batch of soup with non starchy vegetables, perhaps beans and or lentils in some chicken, vegetable, or beef stock (or perhaps a chilli) …. put it in equal sized containers to determine calories and carbs

you can get books that count calories and carbs or explore sites like myfatsecret … or just Google it

add total calories/carbs and divide by portions

There is a recipe tab her on this site as well

Until i get a stove i can’t do much with anything complicated. That’s plan for now.

I have an overdue library copy of the book … mine is coming on Thursday i think.

• posted by Jenko1973
    on

Thank you for the diet ideas, how do others do it, do you have a set plan ?

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Have you read the 8 week blood sugar diet book? It has the recipes for each day in it – whilst you don’t have to follow them exactly it does give you ideas for each meal. Available on kindle – recommend you read it anyway if you’ve not done so already.

🙂

• posted by Jenko1973
    on

Day one done off to bed after 2 boiled eggs for breakfast, homemade broccoli soup and a chicken breast salad washed down with 5. Glasses of water and a licourice herbal tea. All great apart from stomach pain and a couple of visits to the toilet. Ding ding bring on round (day) 2.

Thanks for the help and support

• posted by Gardengreen
    on

Well done. It will be worth it. I felt quite odd the first week but a now in week 4 and don’t even feel hungry. Make sure you save enough calories to have some fat here and there. It really helps with the hunger.

• posted by Coady
    on

Hi jenko1973
    My first day today too if you want quick easy recipes try out the cauliflower rice made mine today with peppers onions and grated broccoli and a dash of soya sauce fast and filling, someone said they added 2 eggs and peas made a great egg fried rice going to try that one Saturday night with chicken good luck with tomorrow

• posted by Jenko1973
    on

Coady,

It would be great to partner up for morale support.

Good luck and let’s do this !

• posted by Jenko1973
    on

Day two and after having spent most of the night in the toilet last night I woke this morning to having lost 5lb in one day from 20st 1 to 19st 10. This is the first time I have felt comfortable speaking about my weight because I actually feel like I’m doing something about it today 2 eggs water scrambled. Homemade fish soup and chicken salad for tea. Feeling tired today and a bit groggy tonight. Headache as well need more water. Coady hope your day went well.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Jenko – great results weight wise.
    I had similar digestive problems the first couple of days – I try to avoid medication where I can, but a single dose of immodium helped. It’s not the food per se – just that it’s probably a huge change from what you were eating before.
    You do need LOTS of water on this diet – compounded with the bathroom issues that would be dehydrating as well.

Hope that you feel better soon.

• posted by Jenko1973
    on

Day three over and in the bank weighed this morning 19st 7 another three pounds. Felt ok today,but hungry but predictable 2 boiled eggs, carrot and coriander soup chicken salad. My skin feels really soft, let’s hope things are improving.

• posted by Gardengreen
    on

How’s it going Jenko?

Please log in or register to post a reply.