This is a Marathon, 12 miles done 14 to go ie 8 weeks finished.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by orchid
    on

Yes, I was watching Eddie Izzard’s 27 marathons last night and feeling inspired! There were a couple of quotes in the programme that I wrote down because they felt very relevant to now.

Mandela; ‘Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again’.

So – my 8 weeks are up. It has been a totally different experience to what I expected. Initially a hassle – I had expected that, but latterly it has been enjoyable and also enlightening. Not words often written in conjunction with a diet!
    .
    Dr Moseley, if you are reading these – thank-you.
    Forum – you added the fun and so much information – thank-you.

Statistics – From 2 Feb – Weight loss 12.1kg, (26.7lbs) – 12.3%, above my 10% target: Waist down 14cm (5.5inches), Blood sugar down from almost pre-diabetic to normal and cholesterol was okay to start with so I have not retested. BMI down from 33 to 28.6. Dress size – 1.5 to 2 sizes down. I was wearing a combination of size UK 18 (loose-cut and or M&S) and UK 20. I am now wearing size 18 and just replenished my underwear and swimsuit from M&S at a size 16! For those outside the UK, M&S sizing is a little more generous that many suppliers, thus the difference – it is more of a size 17.

My plan had been to lose enough weight to have a BMI under 30 – ie no longer obese. I started over 33. I expected to move to the 5:2 then as that would be easier, but on reaching that goal after 5 weeks, I was managing fine so have kept going. Next goal, BMI under 25 – normal.

I wrote down a list of positives and negatives about the last 8 weeks over the weekend and I thought I would share that.
    Positives;
    • The forum and the people. You are always told to share what you are doing for support – I never do! Sharing on the forum really has helped – someone knows what you are doing and going through. Will we still be around to support each other and stop relapses in 3 years’ time?!
    • Diet – I am not hungry and it defies logic given the amount I eat. Eating full fat again has been a real revelation – I have not touched it for 30 years.
    • It has given me back in control of my life.
    • 7 bags of clothes went to Cancer Research UK last week and there are more to go. In fairness some were old sheets and very old things that were ‘stored for the future’ and will be recycled for rags, but also a bag of business clothes – some still with labels on. All now too big and or I just won’t want to wear them again. Space in cupboards again – wonderful.
    • Energy levels are up. I am not falling asleep watching TV, nor, more importantly, in lectures (I am studying Archaeology part-time).
    • No chocolate or wine cravings.
    • I am having fun…..
    Negatives; none.

Hopefully this will help others keep going through the ups and downs – and one last thought again a quote used by Eddie Izzard.
    ‘I am the master of my fate,
    The captain of my soul’.
    by William Ernest Henley.
    We are now in charge and can do it.

• posted by ON PHONE
    on

Great post !
    congratulaions!
    😀

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Orchid that’s a tremendous story and one that will inspire many others
    Don’t you find that the lack of cravings sort of sets you free ? I walked around the chocolate aisles of 3 supermarkets this weekend without wanting any. 3 months ago I would have had a bag full.
    I too finished my 8 weeks at the weekend and, like you, found it easy so I’m staying right where I am until I see the scales say the magic numbers.
    Come join us on the over the 8 week line and beyond thread.

• posted by orchid
    on

thanks Bill – and yes, it is so liberating and not just being able to ignore chocolate, also the crisps! I have had a block of 85% cocoa chocolate sitting on the piano – 4 foot away from my desk for weeks and have not touched it. I also found an unfinished packet of mints from my last long drive to Scotland a couple of days ago, and just ignored it. ‘Normally’ the mint would have gone in one sitting and the dark chocolate over a couple of days – had it been milk chocolate it would have been finished immediately after the mints 🙁 .
    See you on over the 8 week line and beyond!

• posted by orchid
    on

thank-you ON PHONE!

Please log in or register to post a reply.