This has to work for me…too

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Seadog
    on

Hi all, I’ve hijacked Bill1954’s original post name, as he has inspired me to get on with this life changing lifestyle. I’m feeling rather gloomy today as I went to the GP yesterday with a health concern. I’ve noticed fluid around my ankles, and shooting pains in my Achilles tendon. The GP was a young guy, well younger than me anyway (I’m 47) and was very honest. He told me in no uncertain terms that the fluid build up was caused by being overweight, and should not be seen in someone my age. My BP is also very elevated, around 180/90. He looked through my medical records, turned to me and said ‘Your father died at 62, you’re going the same way’. Yes, you could say he had no right to say that, but I actually appreciate his candour, maybe at long last I will finally realise that I cannot go on like this. I’ve had my blood sugar checked, and I’m still OK on that, not pre-diabetic at the moment, but…I’m sure if I carry on abusing myself I will be. Anyway, he has put me on medication for the raised BP, and then said that if I continue to not look after myself, my list of medication will increase year on year.
    Then, here’s the thing, he said have I ever heard of the blood sugar diet ?, yup, a GP who believes heart and soul in MM and Prof Taylors hard work !. My 10 minute appointment turned into 40 minutes, but it appears that I was the last appointment of the day, so he was giving up his own time for me. He wants me to go back in two weeks time, and then once a month after that where he is going to monitor me and my progress on this plan. He has done me a huge favour, taken his gloves off and given me a hard slap round the face (metaphorically !) . I’ve known about this plan for quite a while now, but I’ve now had the short and sharp shock I needed to get on with it. I’m on my third day now, and starting to feel the benefits. Apologies for quite a depressing message, but I know there are plenty of good people on this forum who can help me along. I also had a chat with my wife last night, who has always been fantastic and understanding, but when I told her I was now on BP medication, she said that I must now take action.
    I’m about 3 stones overweight I guess (18 Kg), 18 Stone now and want to get to 15 stone.
    Thanks all.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Depressing? Seadog, this is a great post and inspiring both from your point of view and from your doctor’s.

Fantastic the doctor took the time to give you that slap, and congratulations to you for taking it on the chin and deciding not that you were going to stamp your foot and deny it all, but that you were going to set about it and get your health back 🙂

Keep posting, there are loads of people here as you will know who will give you the best advice, based on their own experiences and research.

And give yourself a break – you have started on the path which will end in more life and more enjoyable life 🙂

Thanks for sharing.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Great to have you onboard Seadog. Fantastic news that your GP has recommended the BSD and even more fantastic that you have decided to take action. We will all be interest to hear about you progress and this is definitely the place for advise, support and encouragement. Look forward to reading your posts in future.

• posted by STAR56
    on

Hello Seadog

I’m from Brazil, I’m 56 years old, two years ago weighed 127kg and Lowcarb and fasting decreases almost 25kg, always had problems of hypertension and swelling in the legs and feet.

Today I do not make use of any medication, perfect health!

I want to reduce more weight will try blood sugar diet, to get a better result.

I’ll start next week because I will travel, home of my mother, lots of food and drink.

No exaggeration because I’m already adapted without alcohol and without bad carbs.

Once again I company to you.

Brazilian hugs.

Excuse me! I write to Google translator

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Welcome to the family Seadog 😃

Really pleased to hear that your GP is being supportive, and that you’re taking positive action now, rather than later.

You’ll find lots of support on here. Any questions, just ask. And I look forward to reading about your progress.

• posted by Imogen
    on

Welcome to the BSD Seadog and STAR56,
    Wishing you born well as you progress towards your goals – keep us posted on your progress😊

• posted by Seadog
    on

Just as I thought, lots of encouraging and positive replies !. I’m trying to focus on the positive side of this change, instead of focussing on the negative ‘I can’t have that’ etc. I am now so ready to change my life and get rid of the extra ‘baggage’, but more importantly take control back from that addiction that I love so much…sugar.
    STAR56 thanks for your comments, (and your Brazilian hugs !) good luck on your journey as well !. I’m actually starting to feel a new emotion, 3 days in and I think just maybe, that I’m starting to feel control over myself.

• posted by Bissell
    on

Welcome aboard Seadog, your GP sounds like he is really on your side, which must be a huge help. But most importantly, you want to do this for yourself and you are already seeing that you can. It won’t always be easy, but you CAN do it and everyone one on here will support you through the highs and lows. I was not above eating a whole packet of glacé cherries to get a sugar hit and I haven’t had any refined carbohydrates for 4 months and I don’t miss them a bit.
    Here’s to a new you!

• posted by Seadog
    on

Hi all, I’m on a long shift today, and I must admit I’m struggling a bit. This is day 3 for me, and I’ve got quite overtired due to work. Also we are having a kitchen fitted which is keeping me busy !. Anyway, I’ve worked out that when I’m feeling really tired, my mind tricks me into thinking it’s hunger, which when I stop and think about it, is clearly not. There is also boredom mixed into that (I’m at work after all..) so I’m trying to be mindful and keep myself distracted, and drink loads of water. I’m wearing the carpet out at the moment with my frequent trips to the loo !. I had a lovely salad with avocado for lunch, and when I stop, clear my mind and really think about it, I’m not hungry, just peckish. I don’t think I’ve felt real hunger for some time when I think about it, too much topping up !. Whenever I think I may slip, I just cast my mind back to my GP who I almost feel is keeping his watchful eye on me…

Please log in or register to post a reply.