Thinking of signing up for online programme.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Thinking Thin
    on

Hi Guys, I tried the Fast 800 on my own last year and did well for a few weeks but am thinking of signing up for the online 12 week programme. I was just wondering how people who have signed up got on with it?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi ThinkThin – I think the majority of folks on the forum have used the forum as their support system – I know I did. There is so much support, encouragement, knowledge and experience to tap into here and I certainly wouldn’t have hit target without the lovely people here. It’s a safe and inclusive place to share your experience and to ask for help, so no matter whether you join the online programme or not, do make use of the forum and join in on any thread you feel has relevance to you.

If someone on the forum has used the online programme, I’m sure they will offer information on the experience. Best wishes to you …

on

Hi sunnyB – thanks for your response. Having looked at some of the reviews online I can see a lot of positives for the forums and am thinking that having already had a go myself along with the support from this forum before, I should just continue with this. Just need to get my head into the right space to start it again properly. Hopefully I’ll be back soon x

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Try not to procrastinate too long, as there is never an ideal time to jump in. Take a deep breath and go for it. Look forward to seeing you out and about on the forum and reading of your progress.

on

You’re so right. I suppose even doing it on the days I can is better than not doing it at all that week. I’ve got work conferences and my sons 21st in February so don’t have a clear 8 week run. But something is better than nothing. I’ll start looking at my meal plans. Thank you for your encouragement x

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Thinking thin, I’ve just been reading MMS new book and one of the options is to eat 800 calories on 2 days a week only and no calorie counting on the other days, but stick to Mediterranean diet foods. Of course you could do it for more than 2 days, but at least that way you wouldn’t have to look for an 8 week clear run. The other thing you can do in conjunction with this is TRE – time restricted eating. You start out at 12:12 – so eat all your foods within a 12 hour windo then fast for 12. Then move to 14:10 and finally 16:8.
    I can’t help you with the online programme, but can echo what Sunny B was saying about this forum, there’s also Facebook groups you can join – plenty of online support available 🙂

on

Hi SueBlue, I have ordered the new book and will have a good read and will look at TRE. Good idea about building up to the 16:8. When I went onto the forum I saw the post by admin and am looking to go to one of his talks too. Think I will stick with the forums and groups.
    Thank you x

• posted by Knitpurl
    on

Hi Thinking thin,
    I used the online thing last year. The advice and recipes were great but I have a family and soon that started to get in the way. I tried cooking for just me but that meant cooking two meals to feed everyone. I would end up either spending too much time in the kitchen or giving away my ‘leftover portion for tomorrow ‘ If you live on your own or have someone doing the diet with you it would be great. These forums are definitely better than the online support group. Hardly anyone posted. But that was only my experience. For me, the book and advice here is enough to keep me mainly on track and slowly losing and getting fitter. SunnyB and SueBlue have offered great advice. Good luck.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Thanks knitpurl, it’s great to read about your experience as I had wondered about the online program myself at one stage.
    Thinking thin – you could join one of the challenge threads on here – there’s the weekly ones (one week at a time), or longer term ones like Kazzee’s road trip to Easter, and others.
    When I first started 2 years ago I joined a January 2017 starters group and I’m still in touch with other members from that group – we all support each other 🙂
    I should add it doesn’t necessarily take 2 years to lose weight with this WOE. I lost 12.5kg in 2017 then spent 2018 in maintenance basically, I’m now ready to continue my weight lose journey and so restarted on 2 Jan 🙂
    I still feel that buying the 8 week BSD diet book was one of the best decisions I ever made. I haven’t had as much weight loss as others, but it’s all the other benefits I love. I have chronic illnesses which have improved, my inflammation levels have gone down dramatically, my blood pressure has improved, fatigue is virtually unheard of, I sleep well, IBS is no longer a problem and I’m no longer considered pre-diabetic, my blood sugar is normal. There’s so many inspiring stories on here, I’m sure you’ll find all the motivation you need to start 🙂
    Good luck with your journey!

on

Thanks Knitpurl and SueBlue. Knitpurl thanks for sharing your experience as I can relate to work etc getting in the way of fully immersing into an online programme. Although I do just cook for myself, I did read another review (not on this site) about similar issues. You are right as the support on here is great. Thanks SueBlue for sharing your progress – made me giggle when you said it didn’t take you two year, lol. I ordered the New Fast 800 book, which came in yesterday and have booked onto one of his talks – going on Feb 7th. I’m dragging my sister in law along 😁. I’m going to restart but my downfall last year was after losing weight on the BSD 8 week diet I didn’t attempt any maintenance regime and eventually completely went back to my old habits! I need to get that this WOE is forever as I want to lose weight and reach my goal once and for all and not keep having it as such a big issue in my life. I have a work conference next week so am going pick the days I can do the Fast 800 and incorporate TRE. I want to lose a total of 4 stones (25kg.) Thanks so much guys.
    Here goes 😁

• posted by Squidge
    on

I haven’t used the programme myself, as I don’t find I can stick to anything too regimented – one slip and I use it as an excuse to quit. Doing the BSD on my own, and not vert stricyly either, meant plenty of slips, but I’ve never given up entirely.

Other people might find a stricter approach, and logging their progress, works better for them.

on

Hi Squidge, I think I would be like you too and also, rather than be accountable to anyone else I would just quit too. This new book is very much about finding a way to do this WOE that’s fits in so some may do the strict 8!weeks at 800 or play around with the 5:2 ratio. At least this way, the ‘slip’ days just become part of the plan stopping you giving up completely.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi SueBlue! Just randomly reading posts here and came cross yours – specifically listing the benefits you have acquired through BSD. I can SO relate to them all. Sinus/phlegmy issues – gone. Back/neck aches – originally thought to have been long-time-ago car accident damage – (mostly) gone. HbA1c’s halved . . .(I no longer do finger pricking and donated my machine to the local pharmacy to use however they might!) Plantar Fasciitis definitely improving though I dont push that improvement to exercise more . . . Ive chosen the lesser or two evils there!!! BP seems to have taken a turn for the better . . . I abandoned meds during a heatwave in our summer which was causing severe lightheadness and am yet to visit with GP . . . but when checked with a private machine, and one at local pharmacy it is still well down 🙂 The need for some new “pretty” underwear boosted my feminine side no end . . . along with the floaty tops and pencil thinning jersey knit straight skirts, revisiting the extremely smart timeless linen shirtmakers I thought Id never wear again has been such a joy! And of course . . . I cant IGNORE the compliments . . . just have to make sure I dont get a swelled head 🙂 Lets all hit the rod running or at least a spring n ur step and make 2019 a bumper success for ourselves . . . and maybe THAT will inspire or turn heads of others to follow our example. We arent all here for the same reasons . . . but wellness is the ultimate goal end result – whatever shape we are in. 🙂

• posted by alliecat
    on

The bonuses are infinite, aren’t they WoodDuckie! I don’t think it ever gets “old” to share and repeat them, either 🙂
    Blood pressure, normal. Chloresterol in the optimal range. Chronic fatigue syndrome, banished. Chronic pain not
    gone but entirely manageable. Hair and nails, strong and healthy. Being able to prance around in size Misses Small
    instead of Women’s 3X, shocking! Limitless energy? A true natural high, a gift that keeps giving, in a way that no
    sugary indulgence could ever deliver. Essentially, the keys to the kingdom are available when we embrace this way
    of life 🙂 Joy in life, and life is GOOD!

Allie

• posted by Squidge
    on

Thinking Thin, you’re right, we need to find our own way to do this and there are lots of variations on the same basic approach of cutting ‘bad’ carbs and eating moderate amounts of everything else. Sticking to the diet(s) in the book works for a lot of people. Some prefer a little more help, or to take a stricter, or more regimented, or a more relaxed* approach, but I believe that with a little experimentation we can all find a way which works and is sustainable for us.

* That’s me!

WoodDuckie and Allicat, you’re right that the benefits are varied and well worth the effort of doing a little planning and exercising a little control when it comes to our food. (Actually that planning and control are another benefit for me – I used to feel my eating was beyond my control at times and that wasn’t a pleasant feeling. Planning my meals in advance is saving me some money, so it’s all good.)

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Hi Squidge, I read that you are on keto and adapted despite having no gallbladder. I hope that my enquiry isn’t out of place, as I have been looking for support for my mum.
    My 80 year old mum gave up her gallbladder 40 years ago, has coped quite well on the standard dietary advice up to now, but she recently had a few cancerous skin issues and she may be open to review of this WOE.
    She is a dietician by training, and has been interested in my discoveries since starting in January this year.
    I have just read that the evidence is there that cancer is a metabolic disease, hence being able to starve the tumour with the ketogenic diet. There could be particular issues with mum’s age, medication however needing skilled support.
    Is there a book that could help us understand if such therapy is suitable, and how to find medical support in Ireland?
    Tripping over the truth, Travis et Al was recommended by Dr Seyfried.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Patricia — your mom might be on to something real — there is ongoing research on low carb/keto diets and cancer, with the salient fact being that low carb diets seem to have “starved” the tumor and also that staying low insulin prevents a “growth” response by the tumor (insulin being growth promoting).
    I have come across a lot of this while reading up on keto and low carb diets — I think the proof isn’t in yet but the theory is strong.
    Maybe just google and what’s not to like with low carb anyway, nothing to lose, she should try it. Also will protect her brain, that has lots of evidence to support it.
    Best wishes for her (and your) continued health!

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Hi CG, thanks for the encouragement. When you are new and enthusiastic, it’s easy to overgeneralise, but it seems an amazing development
    Like you say, she can read about it and choose how to apply it.
    Mum still cooks every day for herself, so I’m sure she could adapt her totally non processed diet for the LCHF.
    Her recent A1c test was in normal range.

Fasting seems to be a simpler but radical way of promoting these beneficial changes. The fast 800 has differences to the type of therapeutic fast that Dr Seyfried has recommended. I think fasting is harder, but mum may have a different perspective.

Please log in or register to post a reply.