Things I learned on the BSD, end Week 7 [ -22 lbs]

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Jackie WilsonSaid
    on

1. BSD = Calorie restriction = mindful food planning, preparation and eating.
    Just completed Week 5 of the on-line MBSR course, which was not a great week, as it was all about Dealing With Difficult Emotions/Sensations, which I don’t have much of nowadays [thankfully]. But the continuing practise of meditating in one way or another each morning works well with BSD. And I’ve incorporated some yoga into my post-workout steam room stretching routine. Double win.
    2. BSD = not hiding so much of that extra fat in plain sight. Much of it was ‘hiding’ on my waist which is now 5″ less.
    3. BSD = Mood enhancement and energy boost.
    With all the added energy from BSD I’ve completed many long overdue to do’s. One was to fix and reactivate my hi fi system, after a few years of lazy Sonos listening. Vinyl is as good as I remember. There’s a guy in America who finds first pressings of classic LP’s for rich folks and sells them for up to $1000 each, so each listen to a classic album is literally a valuable use of time!
    4. BSD = not snacking.
    Realising that ‘hungry’ isn’t usually hungry but thirsty or a touch of boredom or an old habit. I’m thinking about this more as the end of the beginning nears, since it would be so easy to go back to frequent snacking and ‘treats’ and reverse the progress.

Feeling a bit of a cheat though since I am not eating a ‘proper’ Public Health England diet.

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Hi JackieWilsonSaid, I think many of the Public Health organisations act like members of a virtual religion; always preaching, not aware of latest thinking and desperately slow to change or modernise. Perhaps the most effective job they do, is producing zealous converts to a new way of life (if I can say that without offending too many people?) Some of yesterday’s TV reports were worse than misleading and it just shows what a powerful grip the sugar lobby has on the food, media and medical worlds. Fat was used as a distraction from sugar and serves to confuse the general perception in the minds of the public that does not study things like BSD etc. Of course there are always those who want to jump on the bandwagon and do so by hanging on to the coat tails of higher profile entities, but the real message and many facts can be lost in the process. Anyway, that was my short “15 weeks in now” rant. Sorry!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Skywalker
    what I think everyone forgets is that the human body is omnivorous, made to consume a whole range of foods very effectively.
    The initial trouble never came from eating a variety of foods, including carbs, it came when the food processors started stuffing their products full of carbs and sugars and so overloaded the bodies natural systems.
    I have no doubt that, once back into non diabetic levels, it will be safe to reintroduce a reasonable amount of carbs back into the diet without the devastating side effects, and by side effects, I don’t just mean diabetes but all the conditions that people are reporting improvements in.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Yes, Bill, and of course a lot of the controversy surrounds the huge generalisations – ‘all carbs are bad, all fat is good’ – when it is the refined carbs (including sugar), over-consumption and reliance on which is the thing we should all be aware of.

Anyone here doing the BSD and looking at the composition of their food via a more detailed app has, I am sure, been horrified by the amount of sugar we are inadvertently eating ( I am now on my 5th week of no sugar in tea or coffee, and going well, thanks).

Following the BSD is a helpful way of training oneself on food, and how it affects the body, and how changing relatively small things can bring enormous benefits. You can see from these forums that many people are finding their food much better and more tasty than before – when they originally thought the ‘diet’ would cut out things they loved and depended on.

I am lucky enough not to be Type 2 or pre-diabetic, but could easily have got that way, and whilst wanting to lose a bit of weight didn’t really know how to do it – even though I’m very aware of protein and carbs. This has been a revelation to me, and whilst the actual weight isn’t falling off, as measured by the scales, I can see it happening in my body, and I know that I am burning fat (because I measure that via Ketostix) and therefore the residual fat around my liver and pancreas must be melting away. The confidence and enjoyment I am getting out of this understanding and control is invaluable.

I cannot be alone in looking at people I work with, and come across in my daily life, and thinking how much happier they would be in terms of spirit and health, if they followed these disciplines.

• posted by Jackie WilsonSaid
    on

Skywalker – congrats on your 15 weeks and on the improvements you’ve made, as detailed in your profile.
    Pleased to see that the post loss lifestyle also makes sense. An irrational fear, despite all I’ve read and experienced, is of somehow needing to live abstemiously in order to ‘maintain’, so its reassuring to hear from those on the other side! The fundamental changes resulting from BSD seem to be that – fundamental and choices rather than restrictions. It was indeed frustrating to see the level of the debate yesterday.

Igorasusual
    “I cannot be alone in looking at people I work with, and come across in my daily life, and thinking how much happier they would be in terms of spirit and health, if they followed these disciplines.” Yes – agreed. BSD is a revelation and thus it is difficult not to evangelise.

Dr MM in the Telegraph today responds:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/wellbeing/diet/52-author-michael-mosley-im-proof-low-fat-diets-dont-work/

• posted by keeptrying
    on

thank you for that link JackieWilsonSaid
    and how lovely it is to see Dr Mosley say it how it is
    he is a person people trust
    lets hope he gets on tv to give the same message as sadly a lot of people will not be telegraph readers!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.