The first day of my 8 weeks today!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by snackerlady
    on

Morning! Today is day 1 of my 8week BSD. I have the kindle edition of the book and got my shopping yesterday in ready to start this!
    I am so determined to get on top of my health. My mum, dad and a sibling are diabetics T2 and I am now prediabetic.

A little bit about me:

I am 44, wife and mother to 2 and now a grandmother to 2 babies (who are utterly divine)
    I’m at least 3 stone overweight- probably could lose 4 stone easily.
    I’m pre diabetic, so this is THE chance for me to claw back my health and have a different future than the one we’ve been told we are destined to have with diabetes.

I’m raring to go! ๐Ÿ˜€

I’ll update often with my experiences and my stats, I intend to weigh every morning. I’m keeping track of it all in myfitnesspal.

Looking forward to my first week (i think, lol!!)

• posted by Eureka
    on

Morning Snackerlady welcome

I’m t 2 just finished wk1 & 8lb lighter! All stats going right direction.
    My mum & dad were type 2 , so maybe I’m in the ‘ could b genetic’ group. BUT, I’m in this new way of eating & exercise for the rest of my life! Got to give me the best chance of healthy living I can. That way I can be there for my family longer
    Do show your family what you are doing & lets hope they get on board too.
    Best of luck. Plenty of advice & encouragement here
    Eureka

• posted by snackerlady
    on

Hi Eureka, Thanks for the warm welcome ๐Ÿ™‚ Your results are very encouraging, well done!
    How are you finding the recipes? Are you following them to the letter as per the book or are you doing your own within the guidelines? I’ve had the mushrooms for breakfast so as you can see i’m picking and choosing the recipes I know i’ll like and I have picked a couple from other sources because I know what I like to eat and also what my local supermarket will actually stock.

• posted by Mrs S
    on

Good morning stacker lady, I too am beginning today. I’m so excited and determined to get my life back on track. Perhaps as we are starting together we can encourage and support each other?
    I’m 52, 5ft 2 and weigh 13st 5
    This morning for breakfast I went for the rhubarb compote and yoghurt option 160 calories.
    I would be interested to know what daily menus you choose and how you’re getting on. I also plan to weigh each morning so I’ll let you know how I’m doing too if you would like? I think it’s helpful to have someone to work alongside to bounce things off and encourage each other, although I’m sure there will be lots of encouragement from everyone on the site ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by snackerlady
    on

Hi Mrs S, yes, i’d love to buddy up. I’m also 5ft 2 and am 13 st 3, we’re almost twins ๐Ÿ˜€ !!

The rhubarb and yogurt looks lovely, i’ll definitely be doing that at some point, what did you think of it?
    My breakfast was the portobello ‘toast’ and goats cheese- was delish! For lunch i’m having the no carb ploughmans and dinner will be foil steamed fish and veggies. I’ll decide tomorrows menu later and get it all in this evening. I’m tracking everything I eat in myfitnesspal so that I don’t go over the 800 cals a day. Drinking 3 litres of water will be a tough one but i’ll give it my best shot

• posted by Mrs S
    on

Hahaha that is funny!
    The rhubarb is great mixed with the yoghurt (I used full fat Greek because it’s very thick and creamy tasting and has a luxurious feel – the calories work out right) but I would recommend not putting a whole lemons juice in there ๐Ÿ˜!
    I agree about the water thing, I find when I eat less I want less to drink so it will be tricky. Do you think black coffee will be ok?
    I’m also using fitness pal it’s a great app I’m trying to up my exercise a little as its non existent at the moment. I’m doing the low impact cardio from http://www.fitnessblender.com as it requires no equipment and will hopefully get me going and it’s free!
    Good luck today ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

• posted by Fi
    on

Hi, this is also my first day! I am a 59 year old T2 diabetic (8 years now) and am determined to get my readings down (9.2 this morning)! When I was first diagnosed I did everything they said I should do and each clinic appointment they said I was doing well and to carry on what I was doing – but then I got too complacent and things started to get out of control. At my last clinic appointment they put me on an extra tablet and that was a big wake-up call so I need to get those readings down and lose weight (5′, 1″ and weighing in this morning at 13 stone, 4lbs). Feels a bit daunting but am glad I found this website as reading how others are doing on the forum will be a great boost. Had an atkins drink this morning as my mornings are always rushed and having a chicken salad for lunch. Will go out lunchtime to find something for supper this evening – haven’t really planned much in advance yet – will have to do that. Good-luck everybody!

• posted by snackerlady
    on

Mrs S, I’m not sure about the coffee. I had a coffee this morning with a dash of soya milk- he does say one a day will be ok. I’m going to have the odd black tea/ coffee when I want to though because i’m not sure I can cut it out altogether ๐Ÿ˜ฎ Thanks for the tip with the compote lol! ๐Ÿ˜€ My exercise is also non existent, i’m going to increase my walking and take it from there aiming for 10,000 steps a day minimum.

Hello Fi! Theres a few of us with spookily similar stats starting today lol!! The shakes idea is a good one for busy people, i will definitely be doing that too if I need to. I haven’t planned too far in advance either, i’m taking it day by day because I want to use up ingredients I already have so i’ll just buy what I need as I need it plus I hate waste.

It definitely helps having others that are starting at the same stage as you, it’s great to be able to check in and swap/share ideas and results.

By the way….theres a group on Facebook for people doing the BSD, i have just joined- it’s called ‘The 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet’, it’s a private group so might be nice to meet up on there in ‘person’ there – so to speak ๐Ÿ™‚ and swap recipes and ideas etc. I’m not leaving this forum but i can be myself on there and share pics etc- when I post my intro post later on i’ll add the username i have on here so you can recognise me if you join ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Welcome to the forums folk. There are loads of success stories happening on here, give them a read, all the inspiration you need is there, and, next week, you lot will all be inspiring others ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by snackerlady
    on

Thanks Bill1954 ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Mrs S
    on

Hi Snackerlady have requested to join Facebook group will look out for you there. Got some beetroot and bean soup on the go for lunch. Definitely going to need solids this evening ๐Ÿ˜‹

• posted by snackerlady
    on

Hi Mrs S, that’s great- I haven’t posted anything there yet i’ve been so busy today I need to grab 10 mins to think what to put but i will do at some point ๐Ÿ™‚

Soup sounds good- I need to go and prep my veggies for the fish, but like you i’m wondering if I should have a bigger meal later and maybe the lighter meal now….. hmmm decisions!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Jo51
    on

Hello Ladies, this is day one of week two for me and amazingly I lost 9lbs in my first week! That has certainly made sticking to the diet so much easier. I’m 5’5″ and started at 14 stone 2lb…….at 51 years old I really am determined to become fitter and healthier and I’m hoping that the principals of BSD can help me achieve this…….that and the encouragement of the forum!
    I don’t have diabetes but I do have high blood pressure and high cholesterol so I am aware that my future health is in my hands!
    The diet has been very easy to follow and some of the recipes really tasty, not too many hunger pangs either! I have been weighing each day and to see the scales drop each day quite significantly has been so encouraging.
    Good luck to you all, keeping each other motivated will hopefully keep us all focused. ๐Ÿ˜„

• posted by vals
    on

Hi to you all, is there a easy list of shopping needed for the first week or do you need to go through all the recipes in the book (only got my copy today, so I haven’t looked through it yet, but keen to get started

• posted by Jo51
    on

Hi Vals, it’s just a case of going through the recipes. I chose the first couple days meals and just shopped for those initially……it seemed a bit daunting attempting a weeks worth! Second week in and I found it much easier to plan the whole weeks meals. I like to know what I have to look forward to, stops me slipping into bad habits!
    Good luck!

• posted by liveinhope
    on

Hi all, Great to see so many people positive and starting today. I am 56 yo Male T2. Diagnosed last Sept. Just got book today but have been reducing Carbs since Diagnosed but still need to lose more weight. I have lost 21lbs so far but GP wants to put me on more drugs. NO WAY. I am on SR Metformin. Sill need to lose another 25lbs according to my BMI Index. Shocked to be told i was Diabetic after a UTI infection and am so determined to reverse my diagnosis. I do feel I could use help just like you guys and girls. GP not open to this approach but hey, I can`t weight for trials to finish. Seems to me there is enogh evidence to support this diet. I just want to wish all you new starters all my best wishes on your new life. Heads up we can do it together. Mark

• posted by Bill1954
    on

You know, I think what a lot of folk are forgetting is that the foods recommended in this diet are the foods that used to be a part of everyday living at one time.
    Then up stepped all the companies with their processed foods and E additives and now we have a diabetes pandemic on our hands.
    For me the diet works and for the first time evr on a diet, I haven’t felt hungry. There is no peer pressure (I have known WW advisors who turned into fascists when I didn’t lose weight this week).
    In reality, this diet is pure common sense, it’s just that in this modern day and age, we needed someone to stick it under our noses, just the way the food companies have been doing for years

• posted by liveinhope
    on

Thanks Bill, Wise words indeed. Regards Mark

• posted by Mrs S
    on

Hi Vals, like you I was very keen to get start but I think it’s worth taking two or three days to read the book, get in your supplies and plan your first few days menus.
    Being prepared is sure to help avoid little slip ups! Better to grab a carrot stick and homemade dip than a biscuit!
    What I decided to do was clear the decks of all commitments for the first week and organise to catch up on some crafting hobbies to keep me occupied without being totally food obsessed.
    I haven’t left too many physical tasks for this week, just in case in feel a bit weak whilst I’m getting used to the reduced calorie intake but I will be doing more cardio workouts at home as well as the strength building exercises recommend in the book.
    I’m coming up to the final meal of today and I already realise that this is going to be a ‘one day at a time’ exercise with an eye on the end goal, to be rid of my T2.
    I feel more tired than usual and have a bit of a headache, probably haven’t drunk enough but at least I don’t have to organise menus and go shopping for a few days I can be totally selfish thanks to the support of my family who are behind me all the way.
    In short I am hoping that preparation is going to be the key to my success!
    Off now to make my aubergine and minced lamb ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by liveinhope
    on

A tip when felling hungry – Drink water – fill a bottle up and have it handy or measure out 2 litres or more of water in drinks bottles, store in fridge if required but always have water at hand. In that way you get your 2ltrs+ a day. Should stave of those headaches and constipation as well as hunger pangs. Regards Mark

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Snackerlady et al glad you are all on board
    First make a list of all foods you like, then eliminate what’s not recommend in the BSD book. Think about what you can have & be prepared to try new veg
    I did 5:2 diet when first diagnosed t 2 three years ago. Too low for me then but looked at carbs , I knew were harming me eg potatoes, pasta , white rice & bread! Lost 28 lb over 6 months. But put it back on when mum very ill. You know the stories re stress.
    I knew calorie count & weight of all my key foods then , so have used that knowledge now. Not used the recipes yet but certainly will. Been hunting the net for low carb vegetarian & also came across vegan scrummy ideas
    I’m NOT failing this time. This is for keeps. Not missing bread etc.
    Do try Cauliflower rice. It’s versatile & carries a sauce/ curry well. I got a Nutri Ninja Auto – IQ for shakes & soups (will get years of use) & a spiralizer for making veg pasta. They work for me.
    Can recommend Inspiralized by Ali Maffucci , tasty recipe book
    Don’t be daunted, your answers are in the BSD book or with the people on the same journey as you
    Keep going
    Eureka

• posted by snackerlady
    on

Thanks Eureka, Lovely post ๐Ÿ˜€ I’m going to order the Inspiralized book right now as i’ve bought a spiralizer and can’t wait to give it a whirl!
    You did so well on the 5:2 wow! So is this you just starting the BSD or have you been doing it a while?

Thanks for the tips, to all of you! This forum is SO helpful!!

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Snackerlady
    Today is start of second week. I lost 8lb in first week , so did my husband! He’s on board, & his bloods normal now, but he was pre diabetic with his readings. Don’t know if my blood sugar will reverse BUT got to give it a fighting chance. This BSD diet gives us all a chance to help ourselves

Try & get your GP or nurse to be there for you & tell them what you are doing if you are a type 2 diabetic. Pass this info on to any diabetics you know. There is hope

This Mediterranean diet seems full of good food & better health for us all. Simple carbs make me ill. I will gradually reintroduce the complex carbs that don’t spike my blood sugar. Get informed & learn as much about you & the foods you can eat that are good for YOU. We all have an individual carb threshold & if you overload it , your body stores it as fat for fuel. Exercise , as the BSD book says , burns that fat
    I’ll maintain my goal weight with the Med diet & the 5:2 way of eating when I reach it. It’s tasty
    Go for it
    Eureka

• posted by catlady
    on

Hi everyone, I’ve just started today too-ok so far.
    I’ve had omelette for breakfast, hummus and veg for lunch, and chicken stirfry for tea, plus an apple and a pear-I think I have had about 12 a day, but I am determined not to be hungry, so would rather eat more than 800 calories(I suspect) to get myself into this, or else I will just give up and be disappointed.
    Do any of you eat more veg, or are you being really controlled in your portion size?
    I would love to hear from you, we can all support each other!

• posted by nettyrim
    on

Good luck all newbies. I would recommend drinking lots of water as it keeps everything moving! I haven’t felt hungry at all. I have however now got much better morning readings and was getting some low readings at end of day so have reduced my glicazide. Also my blood pressure has dropped so am taking half a Losartan tablet for a week then may drop completely. I have lost 5 pounds and 2 inches off waist. Very pleased

• posted by Nutty
    on

Good luck! I’ve just completed week one & already feel good, less bloat & more energy.
    Look forward to seeing your post next week

• posted by snackerlady
    on

Thanks everyone ๐Ÿ˜€
    Day 2 and i feel ‘ok’ (dare i say it) I’m not starving hungry, i am having little pangs for something sweet but it’s just the carb monster saying ‘hey, where’s my carb overdose gone?!’
    I have had a relaxing day and have been watching youtube talks about diabetes etc, it’s been really inspiring and i feel spurred on ๐Ÿ™‚

I was going to weigh this morning but didn’t want to when it came to it, i’ll maybe do a midweek weigh in. I’m definitely weighing weekly anyway whatever happens

• posted by catlady
    on

Hi Snackerlady, glad you are finding it ok so far, I have to agree, so am I! I think my portions are bigger than recommended, but I can adjust that as I get used to all this. Keep at it!

• posted by Cassie
    on

Hi snackerlady I also started the 8 week diet yesterday, Thought I would be staving by now but actual finding it very filling, although I am struggling to drink enough. I have lots to lose as currently a size 30/32. But have the extra incentive of a holiday in Canada if I can get to a size 18. Sure your weigh in will be brilliant.

• posted by Mrs S
    on

Hi all, end I’d second day and have to say it’s been ok so far. I don’t feel hungry but like you Cassie I’m really having to force water down. I have been suffering with headaches so probs not enough water ! Glad to hear that you’re all doing well ….go us ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป ..lets keep it up ๐Ÿ˜Š
    Keep your eye on that holiday Cassie โœˆ๏ธ
    I did weigh in this morning Snackerlady, and I’d put on a pound, very surprising because I was super measured on the first day but I’m not at all disappointed just looking forward to a big loss at the end of the week ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by Squidgy
    on

Hi Catlady – I have loads of veg or salad with meals to fill me up – as long as it’s non starchy I think it’s fine.

If I’m having a stirfry I have the whole pack of veg and feel pretty full afterwards. I’ve also been looking for new veg to try so that I have lots of variety.

I’m much more careful about measuring high calorie foods like oil, cheese, meat etc

Good luck ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by snackerlady
    on

Morning everyone! It’s day 3 of BSD in Casa Snacklady ๐Ÿ˜€ I am sure I was able to feel my ribs this morning in the shower (admittedly i had to poke around) I don’t think it was a mirage ๐Ÿ˜‰ I feel trimmer – haven’t weighed as I don’t feel the need yet, but i did my fasting blood sugar and i’m now 4.4, down from 5.7 in 2 days! I am not diabetic but i’m pre diabetic and was suffering blurry vision, lethargy, insulin resistance etc etc so this is SO encouraging for me as my goal is to prevent full blown diabetes which runs in my family.

Breakfast is going to be mushrooms with goats cheese and pine nuts (because i have goats cheese to use up) Lunch, if it happens, will be chicken done some way or another (i will see what needs using up so probably stir fry) I say ‘if it happens’ because yesterday i only ate twice due to not being hungry. I listened to my body (which is hard when the voices are screaming ‘biscuits, doughnuts!!’ lol)

I’m drinking gallons which i’m sure helps with the fuzzy head. I have NO headache today and feel good to go! ๐Ÿ˜€

I hope everyone else is doing ok too! xx

• posted by Cassie
    on

Good morning this is my day 3, got on the scales this morning and I have lost 4lbs (my diet buddy – hubby lost 3). Had the no carb Bircher for breakfast and doing the beetroot meal for lunch today. Promised myself that I would drink more as had a fuzzy head last night. Have never been very good with my fluid intake the practice nurse tells me off at ever visit, hopefully she will be pleased at the next meeting. Good luck everyone ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Mrs S
    on

Afternoon all, day three update …all going well yippee…not finding this difficult at all. Headaches have been a bit of an issues although I’m drinking loads of water and spending a lot of time (day and night on the loo) I’ve cut out coffee and tea so maybe it’s a detox reaction?
    Decided not to weigh today after yesterday’s result trying to hold off to give myself a nice surprise at the end of the week, well done to you Cassie that is an amazing loss in two days wow!!!
    I had a big breakfast this morning, two slices of ham, a boiled egg, a grilled tomato and grilled mushroom, not the sort of thing I’d normally have so I feel like I’m spoiling myself ๐Ÿ˜Š Total calories where 260 so I’m looking at a miso veg soup for lunch, if I feel the need, or an orange. Is it ok to have an orange?
    Veg curry for dinner, interested to try the cauliflower rice.
    Anyway well done all keep up the good work x

• posted by Lolo
    on

Hey guys! Looks like everyone is doing awesome – bit of a tip on the coffee/tea substitution. I have switched it out for a cup of plain hot water. Give it a go – it’s actually really satisfying. I try and always have one on the go & drink it quite slowly. Think I’m having around 3l of water a day. 3lb down so far & day 4 tomorrow ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by catlady
    on

Well done guys, all going well. Just done my seven day weigh in, and I am delighted to have lost 8 lbs!!!So pleased!

• posted by Time4Change
    on

That’s brilliant Catlady, what a start! I’m on day 6 of week 1, 5.2lb down. Excited to see if anything shifts by tomorrow. Despite drinking lots of water I’m still very sluggish of bowel. That’s my only gripe ๐Ÿ˜”

• posted by Cassie
    on

Well done catlady, my first week weigh in today and have lost 9lbs, my diet buddy lost 8lbs, so happy.

• posted by Mrs S
    on

Well done everyone, I’ve also just done my first week weigh in and I’ve lost 4 1/2lbs. Stuck rigidly to the diet so would have liked to see more but all in all pleased. I am having trouble with blurry vision though and sore eyes, anyone else having this? Also blood sugars been excellent this week 6.3 after eating and 5.3 fasting yippee!

• posted by Lolo
    on

Well done everyone! Such a great set of weight loss by all! I weighed in 7lbs down this morning & feel great!
    Time4Change – I have been eating a lot of broccoli & cauliflower. Which I think has helped on the fibre front. I’ve also put some
    Prunes & olive oil in my morning smoothie. The prunes take the carb content up a little – but not masses. I think this has helped keep things moving ๐Ÿ™‚
    Mrs S – are you eating really low fat as well as low carb too? not sure if it would help – but maybe adding a teaspoon. Of olive oil or eating some avocado might help with energy levels?
    Keep going everyone! Well done xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.