The FAST 800 and Gout – switch to low carb diet can bring gout attack

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Barfly
    on

Hi there,

First post for me. I am wondering if there are any gout suffers in the community. I have just finished my first week of Fast 800 and am happy to report that I lost around 3kgs but it came with a bout of gout!

It seems that the act of switching from a normal carb diet to a low carb diet actually spikes the purines in your body and can result in a an attack! I am not saying that it is not worth the results but it is something to be careful of. Seems that mediterranean diet is actually very good for gout as is losing weight.

From my Googling, it seems that the act of switching is the problem so if you stay low carb then fine but if you revert back and forward – pow.

Interested in any other experiences out there.

• posted by sugar sarah
    on

Hi Barfly,
    Not talking from personal experience exactly, but my dad suffers from gout. I had so much success with the bsd that I persuaded him to give it a go. He got a dreadful gout attack after 3 days. Left him in agony and unable to walk. I think the increase in protein makes it worse too. Very interesting what you say about the switching to and fro rather than the diet itself. I may research this and pass it on to my dad.
    Are you persevering? How’s the gout?

• posted by Barfly
    on

Hey sugar sarah,

Yes I am still going but I did have to take a lot of medication quickly to suppress the attack. Gout can be triggered by different things such as shell fish but I did not even think that it would be brought on by this diet, its a fast right? Might have been a lack of water even though I thought I was drinking a lot and also the switching. In the end the weight loss is probably much more significant than those side effects. Hope your Dad gives it another crack, I do see a lot of benefits!

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi barfly.
    The jury seems to be out on a link between low carb and gout. You might find this link interesting – https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/side-effects/gout.

Dietdoctor is an excellent site – and is also helpful for quick visual guidance on which fruit/veg/nuts etc are higher and lower in carbs. Apples, not carrots, were the ones that caught me out at the beginning!

Please log in or register to post a reply.