The critical jeans 'window'

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Clematis76
    on

Has anyone else noticed that there seems to be a very small window on this diet where your current size jeans fit perfectly? A few weeks ago had a sort out and found a gorgeous pair of jeans (size 20) that I’d never been able to get into. Tried them on and they fitted albeit very snug. So then had that thing where they gradually work themselves down because they’re too tight. 2 weeks later they fit perfectly and then last night disaster struck was carrying a load of stuff upstairs and could feel them going, barely got to the top of the stairs and they were round ankles!! Fortunately there was no one around to see!! The annoying thing is that I have had 2 weeks of falling down from being too tight, 2 weeks of jeans fitting bliss and now they’re falling down from being too loose!! They are mid waisted jeans. Is my only hope Simon Cowellesque under the armpit jobs? Thoughts?

• posted by Frog
    on

Irritating, isn’t it!
    I bought a smaller size pair in Debenhams, first size 18 in ages, and too loose after about 2 weeks – thankfully only ยฃ8.50 in the sale
    I dug out a pair the other week that haven’t fitted for about five years – they still fit, bu definitely getting a bit lose-ish when I had them on yesterday – and that was just after they’d been washed, so a bit tighter.

I need to get to my storage unit quickly – boxes and boxes of clothes probably in all sizes down to a 14 – I just hope the smallest sizes don’t all turn out to be brightly coloured 80’s suits with power shoulder pads!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

It’s all good news really. Just like a haircut – too short for quite some time, then very briefly perfect before overnight totally impossible.

Jeggings with elastic waistband for the moment?

• posted by Frog
    on

sadly my calves are still way too fat for jeggings!

Trousers with thinner fabric thinner than denim are easiest to adjust – by adding darts at the back, or a section of elastic at the back – and with tops getting looser too, they hide any irregularities that temporary adjustments like that might create.
    I need to get the sewing machine out!

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Yes the jeans thing is truly tricky. Bought some new jeans about 8 weeks ago because nothing else fitted and they are now really baggy and need a tight belt to stay up. 21 weeks in and close to my target weight so I hope the crop jeggins I’ve just bought last longer. It’s not just jeans though underwear is a nightmare….. and because I’ve been overweight for so long I’ve got no smaller size clothes. Seem to have missed that small window where you can find those items of clothing that you couldn’t wear because they were too tight……now they are too baggy……grrr!๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜ช๐Ÿ˜Ž

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hi all
    I managed the window for a few extra weeks, I had an expensive pair of black dress jeans I didn’t want to do away with so I tried an old trick mother taught me yonks ago, I boiled them up, we don’t have a copper any more of course so I just kept adding boiling water to a bucket as it cooled. Worked a treat for the following three weeks until I trotted them out on a girls night only to hear a mate say look at your baggy pants! Said in love as a compliment so the window was closed again, doubt the is any shrinkage left. WHAT A GREAT THING TO BE MOANING ABOUT!
    N

• posted by Frog
    on

maybe we should set up a clothes exchange thread on this forum!
    well not exactly an exchange, because everyone will be wanting to trade down, but I have loads of trousers in 20-22 that anyone that’s London based to collect them is welcome to!
    (and around 5′”4′)

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Frog

I’ll be in London on 17th August. Just down for the day to sort out new uniform. How about meeting for coffee if you’re around.

• posted by Sammyjane
    on

try charity shops as i presume you will continue loosing weitght.

• posted by Izzy
    on

charity shops are a great idea, as are clothes swaps with any local people. I’m planning to try to alter and customise some of my too big clothes ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Sammyjane
    on

your dead right. i only started yesterday but i came off it today. i plan to start again on thursday and i will do a shopping list. i plan to do shakes for breakfast and omelttes then i will choose 3 different lunches and 3 different dinners and repeat them for the first week untill i get into the swing of it

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Lynne – that would be great
    Does your train come in to Kings Cross? – I think that was the station you mentioned when you were en route to Heathrow
    I live quite close to there – but I’m quite central, so wherever is good for you

And – one solution for the jeans dilemma – I went to the cinema with a friend who is eight months pregnant this evening – she’s promised me her maternity jeans when she’s finished with them! Presumably they cope with getting smaller as well as getting larger? She is about a size 14, so it will be a few weeks/months before I get there.
    Odd film – Ma Ma with Penelope Cruz; it had the potential to be quite hard hitting, but was unbelievably schmaltzy and full of improbable coincidences – not recommended.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Lynne – that would be great
    Does your train come in to Kings Cross? – I think that was the station you mentioned when you were en route to Heathrow
    I live quite close to there – but I’m quite central, so wherever is good for you

And – one solution for the jeans dilemma – I went to the cinema with a friend who is eight months pregnant this evening – she’s promised me her maternity jeans when she’s finished with them! Presumably they cope with getting smaller as well as getting larger? She is about a size 14, so it will be a few weeks/months before I get there.
    Odd film – Ma Ma with Penelope Cruz; it had the potential to be quite hard hitting, but was unbelievably schmaltzy and full of improbable coincidences – not recommended.

• posted by Clematis76
    on

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I do have smaller jeans but they are still at the falling down/ too tight stage!! Am currently sticking with jeggings!! Great idea for a clothes exchange frog although I suspect a lot of us would be wanting to shift size 22/20 clothes!!

• posted by Frog
    on

I wore some trousers today that were too small preBSD. I tried them on about three weeks ago and they fitted, but a bit too snugly.
    Today – very loose and flappy!

As a result of this I worked through trying some old jeans on this evening, and found a excellent designer pair that fit brilliantly, no idea how many years ago they last fitted, I don’t even remember them at all!
    I clearly wore them when they were a bit too small, as both buttons are missing from the waist.
    I’m going to wear them to death now to maximise the window!

• posted by Clematis76
    on

Two weeks starting…..now!! Enjoy every moment of your jeans window Frog! X

• posted by Bill1954
    on

I was so proud to be able to buy size 38 trousers before my holiday just to find that when I bought some jeans over there, I had to get a 36.
    Ho hum, trials and tribulations, but of the right kind ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

OH has always been a shirt fanatic – wardrobe full of them – plus M&S chinos. XL shirts and 36/38 trousers

Now (started BSD 26th May) has happily fitted into 34waist jeans and invested in several pairs. Down to M in shirts and finding all his repertoire too large!

He is endeavouring to manage the large clothing reinvestment required!

As you say, Bill, good problem to have ๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.