Terrible Complexion after 4 weeks of BSD :-(

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Natasha_ENFP
    on

Hi all,

I really hope my post doesn’t come across as being vain..

I’m almost 4 weeks into the BSD so half way through, and feeling a bit down about things.

After 2 weeks of being on the BSD my skin looked great. My complexion was glowing and my problem skin (acne) was improving. However, when I woke up this morning I was gutted to see that my complexion looks terrible – I look absolutely knackered, my skin feels really dry and has flared up and is really patchy and uneven – like I have been under a sunbed with no protection. I also have very noticeable dark circles. My skin looks the same – if not worse – as when I was eating a huge amount of sugar and carbs before I went on the BSD.

I certainly don’t look at all healthy even though I haven’t veered from the diet, am drinking water, and I’m following it to the letter. I’ve also noticed my energy levels are lower and my weight loss has stopped for around one week.

Does anyone know if this is to be expected and one’s skin will get worse before it gets better etc?

Any help would be very gratefully received.

• posted by SOS
    on

I have read somewhere that too much dairy can affect the skin but it might be a hump you will get past . Also, are you getting a variety of food? If not, perhaps you need a multi vit and multi mineral to redress balances.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I agree with everything sos has suggested. I’d also chuck in that maybe you are still going through a period of detoxing and your skin is the visible signs of it. It could well be the toxins that your liver is releasing during this period of cleansing and things will improve.

Its not vain to be worried; image and self image does matter. Having had terrible skin for the last thirty three years I know how low it can make you feel!

It also seems a common theme that weight loss will change/lessen at some stage during the programme. But those who have doing it the longest are still getting results by the end of their 8 weeks.

Just out of interest, has anything else changed? Are you busy at work? Doing more exercise? Sleeping badly? Using stimulants like coffee to get you through? Any of these could be having an impact too.

• posted by Natasha_ENFP
    on

Hi SOS – thanks for your reply.

I wonder if dairy could be the cause. I am having lactose-free milk in my coffee. However, the only dairy I’m having is greek yoghurt, feta cheese, and creme fraiche as and when is required in the meal plans.
    I do quite like goat’s yoghurt so I could switch to that. I think that’s pretty nutritious too. Thank you for your input about this, very helpful indeed 🙂

• posted by Natasha_ENFP
    on

Hey Janet,

Thank you to you too for your reply.

I have been doing some research on the internet and I read that it can take minimum 6 weeks for there to be a noticeable difference in your skin. If I think about it, I have always eaten a lot of sugar and rubbish, and my skin has always been bad, so I doubt 3 weeks (when I first posted about this) will be enough time for my skin to vastly improve. I reckon it will take minimum 3-6 months to really recover.I think you are right, my liver must be detoxing.

I am not working at the moment but I am rushing around a lot (due to higher energy levels!). The other big thing is that my weight-loss has been bumped in the last few days with a 4lb weight loss in the last 3 days. So I think my body must be very busy right now.

Thank you for your response, you have helped me to feel reassured 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.