Take control and go for it!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Dr Inspiration
    on

Hi everyone. Not being a ‘techy’ and a having a personal loathing of ‘all things social media’ it is unusual for me to engage in a forum. This is my first ever forum I’ve either created or contributed to. So for me to do this, I must have something really important to say and I do so from my perspective as a medical professional. Read my profile. Says it all. I’ve just completed 800 calories a day for 8 weeks and lost two and a half stone, or the equivalent of one block of butter a day! I still find that as hard to believe as you probably do!!! I’m now 2 weeks on and have continued the diet. My goal is to get down to 14 stone – that’s a total weight loss of 5 stone. If anyone is interested in my story so far, for tricks, tips and ideas, or in following me for their own inspiration I’m making myself available to help and support. If not, no worries and I’ll quietly walk away from this forum topic. Happy dieting campers!

• posted by Niknak87
    on

Congratulations! What would you say was your hardest moment and your best moment so far?

on

Hi Niknak87

Hardest moment definitely the first two days with hunger pangs and no longer being able to raid the fridge at will. Also, the first 4 weeks adjusting to new (actually normal !!!) portion sizes and not being able to eat six meals a day and snack on entire family size blocks of cheese! I was a real porky pig. Let’s not beat about the bush. I would be better served eating from a trough, not a plate!

Greatest moment stepping onto the scales at 8 weeks and seeing the results in writing for the first time. Best advice to anyone is DON’T WEIGH YOURSELF EVERY DAY. You will get less successful days or weeks which will only serve to depress your mood and cause you to hit the fridge! Let it balance out and only step on the scales at the end of the 8 week programme. You will feel SOOOOO GOOD at the weigh in that your motivation will be huge and you will WANT to continue. I thought I’d be crying out for a pasty to celebrate at the end of 8 weeks. Instead, I’m crying out for another successful 8 weeks and looking at beachwear catagues to enjoy the physique I have not had for 30 years!!! Once a salad dodger, now a salad lover. Its really weird.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Wow Dr Inspiration ! I have just read your profile . Congratulations on your tremendous success after the initial 8 weeks ! You may be preaching to the converted on here but since I began on September 1st ( have lost 4 stone by the way) I have never encountered a medical professional on the forums. We are all incensed about the wrong ‘advice’ we have been given and recommendations of a low cal, low fat dietary model so please spread the low carb word among your colleagues !!!

There are members on here who have discarded ( and maintained) upwards of 10 stone having cracked the carb cravings and rejected the junky , toxic processed rubbish. Many have reversed their T2 diabetes. Has your HbA1C reading improved since you began ?
    So welcome !!
    You say you are not ‘techy’ but we have some very active threads on the Forum where we share victories and queries in a light highted way. Look out for the One Week At A Time Thread , or the Postives Thread and The Road Trip thread.
    We look forward to sharing in your ongoing success !

• posted by On a mission
    on

Hi
    Welcome aboard and congratulations on your progress. I love how the butter analogy is taking off. It brings a whole new meaning to Phrase. ‘butter mountain’.

• posted by alliecat
    on

OnAMission, in the bad old days, “butterball” would have been an apt description of me, too! Admittedly, I’ve gotten
    rather behind with current posts, so if you have been writing, I’ve missed them. HOW are you doing?

Welcome, welcome, Dr! We’d be delighted to see you on any of the active threads that wendleg has already mentioned.
    It’s good to hear that you’ve completed your first round of 8 weeks, and have decided to simply carry on until you reach
    your goal. I did the same for 10 months without a break, with only positive impact on my overall health. At the end of
    that time, 140lbs. of odious fat had departed, and 2 years later I’m maintaining that loss, which is clearly the prize that
    I value the most. Best of luck to you on your personal road to restoring your health and wellbeing 🙂

Allie

on

Nice to hear from you Wendleg. Congratulations to you too. The medical profession know very little about nutrition its true to say. It forms only a very small part of their training, as ironic as that may sound given that nutrition is so important to the well being of human beings. Times are a changing and medical colleges are now realising the importance of this subject and are now changing courses to incorporate more teaching on this subject, but it takes time to filter through. Nutrition is only one of MANY subjects that need more exposure and teaching, and there is only so much time to fit it all in otherwise 5 year medical degrees would become 10 years! Haven’t checked my HbA1C as it takes a few months to adjust and stabilise, so will be checking in about 2 months. For sure it will be way down now. Keep up your good work too!

on

Alliecat – well done – 140lbs – amazing!!! I know what you mean about feeling better. I have so much more energy! Keep going 🙂

• posted by Birdy76
    on

I am 6 weeks in 2 stone down(12.7kgor28lbs). I have also discarded around 20 inches altogether from different parts of my body. 7 of which are from my stomach and that being my target area I am made up! I am going to continue 800/20g until mid August in the hope that I will be nearer my goal of discarding 5 stone! We shall see. My bloods have improved too going from 5.8-6 down to 4.1. I am not diabetic but I did have it in pregnancy, the motivation behind this was my Aunt who unfortunately died last week and had previously had half her leg amputated because of diabetes. I do not want to get diabetes when I am older and it was looking very likely that I would. So now I am here and working hard on this WOE lifestyle change. Good luck on your journey and well done on your discard so far! I have faith that we will do it and enjoy the benefits it brings to us. One being the amount of energy I have and the range of movement I have got back too. Have a great day. Birdy 💞🦜

on

Hi Birdy. Wow! Well done. It is so lovely to hear all these success stories. We need Jamie Oliver or somebody high profile to start a campaign to banish these evil (but lovely tasting!) carbs from the nation’s diet !!!

• posted by Birdy76
    on

I think you are right and I love Jamie Oliver! Maybe we should write to him and see what he says. He loves Mediterranean cooking! 💞🦜

• posted by JGwen
    on

There was a TV chief who lost a lot of weight following low carb. Tom Kerridge, but then he want on to present a series of “diet” cookery programs where he was encouraging dieters to calorie count but include lots of carbs. –
    It was never clear if this was because of some “powers that be” who support calorie counting but not keto diets. Alternatively there was some talk of him suggesting that while he had the will power to cut out carbs most people wouldn’t be able to do what he did.
    ———————
    The lack of understanding of the science seems to be quite widespread. I am a guinea pig on a research program tracking the changes to the bodies of women in their 50’s caused by undertaking 1 high intensity weight training session a week. – The person running the study at the local university blotted his copy book in my eyes the other week by trying to tell me that he could sort out anyone who was overweight by putting them on a desert island with 1500 calories a day, and you can’t exercise effectively when in ketosis. – He had obviously stood on that soap box on many occasions before so wasn’t expecting one of his guinea pigs to say that the old Calories In / Calories Out model has been completely disproved, ——— have you looked at the work of ……. I would recommend reading the work by ……. :-}

on

Hi. Yes Tom Kerridge did amazingly well. It was ironic that he went on to be on a panel of TV judges to do a mater-chef type programme on professional bakers. Can’t remember the name of the programme, but very good and I think he was the host for other judges. What I do remember is that he was mid-diet and didn’t try any of the cakes! I’m guessing he signed a contract with the programme before embarking upon his diet! Yes, science understanding is lacking but science is ever evolving too and we have to be careful not to jump in too early on ‘the latest craze or fad’ until it is proven. It is all part of what makes science interesting … the experimentation, the excitement of discovery and the evolution from age-old theories. There will always be more to discover! The Newcastle blood sugar discoveries are only very recent, no doubt they will evolve and refine their current theories as people try diets and respond. Watch this space!

Please log in or register to post a reply.