Sugar Free Jelly??

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by NickyH43
    on

Can anyone enlighten me on the guidance on sugar free jelly? I’m definitely a sweet toothed person, not bothered at all by savoury and whilst I’ve made one of the recipes (plum pudding) it came out a lot higher on the calories count than the one on here. Not a problem but means it’s something I could only consider rarely.
    I did also make the pear & brazil nut chocolate brownies out of the recipe book yesterday and they were very chocolately but quite bitter, although I did enjoy it.
    Anyhow, I’m still struggling with my sweet tooth in the evenings and wondered if sugar free jelly with a splash of single cream would be an option. I haven’t seen anything in the book about jelly and I know the idea is to wean yourself off sweet things and the rest of the time I’ve managed that but at the moment I’m finding it hard. I don’t want to de-rail myself so was hoping you guys might know.
    Any help gratefully received.
    Nicky

• posted by NickyH43
    on

Still hoping someone might advise me on this. I made some up last night but haven’t touched it – yet!!
    Nicky

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Nicky I have not been doing the diet long enough to advise you. I only know that I have not made any of the sweet recipe’s in the book as I would eat and eat and eat and fall by the wayside. I can only tell you what I have done and that is eat nothing that is not in the book.

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

I don’t really know whether to advise you to have sugar free jelly or not, hopefully someone more knowledgeable can advise. But what I can say, I really enjoyed raspberries or strawberries while on the Fast 800 with a coating of cream.

• posted by NickyH43
    on

Thanks Fairyface & Baristagirls,
    I just thought that as sugar free jelly is so low in calories it might be a good thing to have. Calorie wise it’s lower than a portion of berries!
    Don’t suppose it can hurt now and again.
    Nicky

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello Nicky, no I doubt it would hurt that much. Just the sweetener side of things needs to be watched but the odd one won’t derail you if it instead of something like a chocolate cookie 🙂 🙂 🙂

• posted by pcoventry
    on

Hey 🙂

Oddly enough I have just looked at some – the hartleys ones we have is very very low per 100g – (max is 0.5G of carbs)

Cal is 41 calories per 100g – we have 2 packets that are 46g between them so I would say it’s fine based on the fact it’s 0.2g Carbs and 21 calories.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I think people are a little wary because diet drinks seem to inhibit weight loss, and can cause blood sugar spikes and cravings, but I think jelly quantities are usually much lower than diet drinks, so I would say it should be okay to go for it. If you dive straight into something else sweet afterwards craving style, then give it a miss in future, but otherwise I can’t see it doing any harm. I never used it as I far prefer savoury to sweet.

• posted by Maharani kitten
    on

I used to eat sugar free jelly when I was on a very low carb plan that had no fruit for 10 weeks. It was good for a fruity fix when you felt like something citrus tasting. I only ate the orange Hartleys pots as I found the others far too sweet and tasting of artificial sweetener . As tastes changed , I found them all unbearably sweet so didn’t bother. Can’t see they’d do any harm other than maybe maintaining a sweet tooth. I don’t find sweetener spikes my blood sugar although I know there’s evidence it does in some people. MK x

• posted by pcoventry
    on

Or do what I still do – have a class of coke zero when you need a fix. Does it all and is treated like carbonated water by the body.

• posted by pcoventry
    on

Nice! – That actually sounds rank :/

We’ve got strawberry and lime in the fridge – we have a 1yr old so it’s for him really.. honest! 😉

• posted by LindaA
    on

The taste buds on your tongue can send a signal to the brain that something sweet is coming and in some people it can trigger a release of insulin in preparation for the sugar it thinks is coming.
    You don’t say if you have Type 2 or insulin resistance, but if you do, I’d avoid it. I’m also not familiar with what artificial sweetener it has in it, but if it’s aspartame (951 in Australia), I’d not only avoid it, I’d run in the other direction screaming as the reports of what it can do to the body are horrible. You can get more info about the dangers of aspartame from this website.

http://www.aspartamesafety.com/mary_nash_stoddard.htm

Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Flash21
    on

Nooo! It’s good. Fizzy Coke-flavoured jelly – what’s not to like! Or maybe I just have fond memories of my mum making it for me as a treat once when I was small during a particularly horrible bout of tonsilitis….

Strawberry and lime sounds lovely!

• posted by pcoventry
    on

Well I am starting day 3 and lost 4 1/2 pounds so I am god smacked. Rammed full of porridge oats right now 🙂

• posted by Leeanne
    on

I used to have the Hartleys ready made jelly pots at 10 cals. Didn’t do me any harm. Still lost almost 2 and a half stone in my first 8 weeks. I’m sure they are OK.

• posted by shalimar
    on

pcoventry congrats on the loss 🙂

pretty sure sugarless jello or jelly is okay …. have it with full fat cream!!

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Baristagirls – mum speaking

For those in UK, Asda sugar free jelly sachets do not contain aspartame. The Hartleys jelly does. I know any artificial sweetener is not good for you but aspartame is the WORST.

When I am cooking rhubarb, which is a low carb fruit, I sprinkle it sparingly with a few Asda SF jelly crystals as it is just too tart to eat without. the small amount doesn’t set the rhubarb, just adds a bit of sweetening. I can manage to eat gooseberries without sweetening but not rhubarb yet!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.