Sugar Advice

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Sunny4000
    on

Sorry about this question, but on a facebook group someone who follows Dr Mosley stated that you need to be wary of hidden sugars but having two teaspoons of sugar a day would be ok. I was shocked at this advice as the group is for diabetics and I would avoid both hidden sugars and plan sugar – what is your view?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Sunny – are we related (sunshine). I am not sure that was how the advice was meant. But not having seen the comment I shouldn’t pass judgement. I have seen the sight and choose not to join as there is so much rubbish I would get myself and my big mouth into trouble. Back to the subject of sugar. If they were talking about having sugar, for example, in your tea or coffee my view would be ‘why’. It is easy to give up and unnecessary. Converts on this site know that carbs are the enemy and sugar is the most obvious of the carbs. In fairness, I think they are saying that if you were to have 10g (2 x 5g teaspoons) then that is not really a lot. The hidden sugars are like a coke with 12 teaspoons per can which are the real danger. The equivalent of 2 teaspoons of unavoidable sugar (hidden) is not the end of the world. Just on the subject of sugar. Sugar does not cause diabetes as many people think – it used to be called sugar diabetes – it is more to do with the body’s ability to deal with sugars which includes anything that turns to glucose in the blood – so carbs too – and the body’s ability to produce and utilise insulin. One other thing I have seen on the site you mention is that it is okay to use honey or maple syrup in place of the dreaded sugar. Not true, sugar comes in many forms we dont recognise but for heavens sake, honey and syrup, anyone can recognise it as pure sugar,

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Can I just add here that most of the 8week diet sites are excellent and very well run. Which is why I said there was probably some misunderstanding about the sugar comment.

Please log in or register to post a reply.