Sudden weight gain spike week 3

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Coopster
    on

Hi to all fellow fast BSD comrades, we’re really just starting out and now into week three. The initial losses were incredible but appreciate that this was mostly fluids and some fat, we are in the 8-900 cals per day and using the book recipes and enjoying preparing meals together.
    Just today my wife noticed a gain of 1.25 pounds which came as a surprise, in fact we have been very active in the garden and working outside on small projects.
    Has anyone experienced a similar blip on their loss graph? I guess if we can understand why this happens we can do something about it or at least know it’s a temporary thing etc etc.
    Hope you’re all doing well, keep up the great work!

• posted by JGwen
    on

This is a topic which pops up frequently, weight loss isn’t linear. The body doesn’t burn off all the fat in one cell at a time – it burns some fat out of a number of cells and fills the space up with water until it has burnt away all the fat out of all the batch of cells it is drawing on.
    Then it releases all the water and the fat cells collapse and you get a drop in weight. – Its known as the whoosh process, and if you search the forum for whoosh you will find a number of conversations about peoples experiences.
    For some reason – maybe because of the low number of calories and the rapid loss in the first couple of weeks this process is more obvious when you are on the BSD than with other common cal counting diets.

• posted by Coopster
    on

Hi JGwen and many thanks for the fast reply.
    As you can tell we are new to BSD and of course on a longer healthier journey, so anything that pops up like this causes us to question what’s happening.
    Your reply makes absolute sense and I’ve learned something too, every day is a school day 😉

Please log in or register to post a reply.