Struggling….

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Happyhols
    on

Ok so now Im into my second week( 9th day) and Im really struggling with lack of fruit possibilities…my favourite pears and apples seem to be off the menu now..melon has too much sugar,…carrots and swede arnt good…I really want this to work but there is only so many berries(which i do love)a person can eat………any helping ideas pleeeeeze

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

For fruit, I followed the menu plan in the book which gives 1 apple per week (no-carb Ploughmans), Melon once a week in the melon shake, blueberries in the green tea shake and raspberries in the almond milk shake – but I do only have 2 shakes each week, not all three. Sometimes I have grilled apricots with yoghurt.So you are right about the fruit being limited but it is only 8 weeks. My view is don’t change it if it works and it does work. As for veg, where do I start. My main veggies are spinach, rocket, courgette, red peppers, green peppers, green beans (French beans) asparagus, endive, beetroot (not often) artichokes, fennel, aubergine, leeks, brussel sprouts, butternut squash (not often) cauliflower, mushrooms, brocolli, avocade (rich in oils so only half now and then) tomatoes but not too often, carrots in a casserole, again not often. Then there are other beans like cannelli, red kidney, haricot, edamane. I think I could go on forever. This is the perfect time to experiment. Have you tried cauliflower mash, celeriac mash, or even mix the 2 together.

Think of a food, then check it out on a carb/calorie counter and away you go.

• posted by topcac
    on

How many times do you want to eat fruit? You probably shouldn’t have more than one portion a day so if you are trying to eat it as snacks, maybe not? There is nothing wrong with having an apple occasionally either, or a pear – just factor the carbs into your day and adjust. If you like rhubarb I think that’s quite a good low carb alternative (I might be wrong so don’t quote me – can’t stand the stuff myself!)

I think we have been conditioned to eat fruit all day and night and find it difficult to adjust to the fact that actually we can have cheese, ham or chicken slices, or nuts as a snack instead. I have an apple every week (at least) half a mango and strawberries and blueberries – probably 6 portions a week in total. It’s not much and I completely understand where you’re coming from but you might have to adjust to cutting down 🙁
    Hope I’ve helped a bit
    TC

• posted by Happyhols
    on

Aw sunshine -girl..thank you very much for you fabulous reply….I have made a screenshot and I will use it when I go shopping….great ideas of which I like …and I like all the fruit and veg and eat all the time,……its just unfortunate all my favourites seem to be very limited…all the things I thought were healthy….Im finding the carbs side the awkward bit to be honest…but on the positive side I have not had any bread,potatoes,rice or pasta for 9 days,(apart from a tiny amount of spagetti on one day)and stuck to 800 cals a day,.so something should be working………
    Finhers crossed eh….

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Happy, when I started I never counted ‘carbs’, I just followed the menu plans in the back of the book and if I switched things around, tried to keep to about 800 calories. I ate only the good carbs found in the fruit and veg allowed (amazing how many in a courgette or an apple) which mean’t I ate no simple, refined carbs at all. I can honestly say that I have not had any potato, rice, pasta, cereal etc etc since starting 17 weeks ago. It becomes a way of life.

Anyway, my point is, if you are sticking to 800 calories you will have no room for bad carbs in your calculation so don’t worry too much. When you start to see it working you will become enthusiastic and get to know so much more.

After 9 days, how are you doing. I am not a big loser but my blood glucose is fantastic and getting better all the time. Depends what you are aiming for.

• posted by Happyhols
    on

Great posts sunshine girl and topcat….I think I will try for another week and now Im aware of the carbs in fruit I will try and cut out my apples and pears, it will be hard though….its amazing how we have be lead to believe fruit is best….I only have one stone to lose so lets see how it goes…..thank you both so much,your points have be invaluable…..here goes then day 9 in progress.😊

Please log in or register to post a reply.