Struggling…missing potatoes and pasta!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Grannyvee
    on

I was diagnosed in June with type 2 diabetes and was doing ok on the diet but my husband passed away in September and I have been struggling to keep off the bread potatoes and pasta my comfort foods…. now we’re into 2018 and I feel a bit more positive and want to get back onto the diet any help out there?

• posted by Doodledootoo
    on

Hi Grannyvee
    So sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. I can’t begin to imagine how difficult things must be.
    There’s plenty of help and support on these forums. The “reboot” one is very active with new and old alike.
    If you need any help just ask.
    I haven’t been on plan for awhile so am rebooting starting today. But I never went back to eating bread or potatoes evenue when I wasn’t fully on plan. It is hard as I used to love both.
    I’d ask if you really miss them for their taste or is it a habit? I use various low carb bread recipes if I feel the need for something. I use cauli for topping off shepherds pie. Make it into cauli rice for with curry and chili.
    I’m sure there will be others far more experienced than me along shortly to offer some guidance.
    Look after yourself. You can do this.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Hi Grannyvee.

I’m very sorry about your husband.

I’m only on day 3, so it’s a bit early for me to say if I’ll miss potatoes and bread (rice and pasta I can do without). I had chick peas yesterday and butter beans the day before. They’re not something I used to eat, but I enjoyed both and found them filling.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Grannyvee, so sorry for the loss of your husband, very difficult and sad for you. It’s good that you are feeling a little more positive with the new year. Yes, the” reboot”thread is very active and/or, if you felt that a 4 week challenge was more your style, look for “great good cheer”. It won’t matter that we are in to the 2nd week. Just join in any thread that takes your fancy. You will be welcome.

• posted by kimmisuee
    on

Hello!

My condolences,

I am on the diet again (day one), I did it for 3 weeks during the summer but starting my final year of university again was very stressful and i ate what made me feel comfortable.
    Now back on it again! Watched all the videos and read the book to motivate me (and “That sugar film” <- Really interesting)

When i was 3 weeks in i missed pasta and potatoes soooo much, my way of combating this was to make my favorite meal, sweet potato with avocado, lemon and salt and mozzarella on top 🙂
    Ticked all the boxes for me, also im buying a spiralizer today to try the courgette noodles that ive seen so much of, they look tasty and look like pasta/noodles,

Rooting for you,
    kim

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I’m going to state for the record something I’m sure you already know: there is no comfort to be found in certain foodstuffs over others. The notion of “comfort food” is an insidious one that drives you to seek an emotional fulfillment that elevates your mood for a minute only to depress you even more once the binge is over. Considering your recent trauma, the looping emotional rollercoaster of grief, you need food to be your true ally, to nourish your body and mind and fill your emotional arsenal.

That’s no to say you can’t find a viable substitute that would tide you over to get out of a craving cycle. Luvtcook and others have posted several excellent bread replacement recipes and the web is full of them too. Here are a few of my favorites:
    https://thebloodsugardiet.com/recipes/manna-from-heaven-low-carb-bread/
    https://thebloodsugardiet.com/recipes/easy-savory-breakfast-bun/
    https://thebloodsugardiet.com/recipes/broccoli-sandwich-bread/
    https://detoxinista.com/the-secret-to-perfect-cauliflower-pizza-crust/

For pasta, have you tried shirataki noodles yet? They’re made out of the root of the konjac plant which is entirely insoluble fiber so the carbs net out to zero. They look and taste somewhat like ramen, and a recently released line with oat fiber by Zeroodle has a surprisingly pasta-like texture and toothsomeness. I use them to make versions of my old favorite pasta recipes (I don’t eat high sugar veg like onions, tomatoes, carrots, though, so no red sauce) and they work a treat. I made a mushroom Alfredo sauce with them a couple of weeks ago that was yum. The best part is that they are so rock bottom low in calories and all the carbs are fiber so you can eat the whole bag yourself if you feel like it. You won’t feel like it. The fiber fills you up like crazy.

https://www3.netrition.com/zeroodle-premium-shirataki-oat-fiber.html

I’m so sorry for your bereavement, Grannyvee. I know you must feel chewed up inside and grief is so emotionally and physically taxing it’s difficult to imagine a way forward. Your husband wanted you to be healthy and happy, I’m sure of it. You have to incarnate his love for you and care for yourself the way he would have. Taking on your diabetes diagnosis with determination and slaying the carb monster who wants to drag you back into cravings and soaring blood sugar destroying your body’s systems would be a most fitting tribute to your years of loving support for each other. He’s got your back, and so do we.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Grannyvee, my sincere condolences on your loss. What a dreadful and emotional time for you, but huge congratulations on trying to take control of your own health in such circumstances. As Esnecca says, your husband would want the very best for you, and that is most certainly not diabetes!

Wonderful post, Essie, really helpful and supportive – Grannyvee, I hope it helps. And yes, we have your back and, given the chance, will support and encourage you through this!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Jut wanted to add my condolences. A loss such as yours throws one into a period of huge adjustment and turmoil. It has to be said that you are very brave and bold to be taking charge of your health and wellbeing at such a difficult time. There has already been plenty of advice posted for you, so I will just say I hope we will see you on other threads as well, as the challenge threads offer wonderful support.

Final word – please be gentle and kind to yourself.

• posted by kimmisuee
    on

*Adding to my post, some shops sell lentil pasta which tastes like pasta 🙂 xx

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Pastas made with pulses like lentils, chickenpeas, and beans are all high carb as well because pulses are high in carbohydrates. They’re even less BSD friendly when you check the ingredients because they often have some kind of flour/sugar added.

Grannyvee, do you know how your BGL reacts to more complex carbs like beans? Have you noticed any patterns in your testing based on what you’ve eaten? Sunshine-girl, for instance, recently discovered that oranges send her BG through the roof. Other people seem to be able to handle a small piece of sweet fruit without adverse reaction.

• posted by Sandy47
    on

Condolences Grannyvee, look after yourself. And lovely post Esnecca x

• posted by martymonster
    on

Condolences Grannyvee.

I have found celeriac makes pretty good oven chips and cubed it also makes a good enough for substitute for potatoes if making a roast. There are a million recipes online. I just put some oil and seasoning a dots of butter on them. About 50min at 220.

Broccoli mash with plenty of butter or crème fraiche is a revelation.

Please log in or register to post a reply.