'Strictly' our last 4 in 2016 … Nov 22nd … let's go out on a high!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

My local hospital has a “Patisserie” in the reception area….you couldn’t make it up!

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

I’ve decided that my final 4 should include some new recipes yesterday tried an Otto Yolenghi wow perfect BSB basically roasted aubergine steaks with a Greek yoghurt dip flavoured with saffron lemon garlic and olive oil topped with pomegranate seeds basil and pine nuts. Omg you would think I could be on master chef so quick and simple yet so yummy. If you keep the elements separate until serving they last 3 days in the fridge too so guess what we are eating for lunch?! We had it with grilled salmon but it would go with chicken etc.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

I use his recipes quite a lot because either they’re fine BSD-wise or can be made fine (typically by not using pomegranate molasses!) We are lucky that we have a small shop selling spices in the town where I live so sumac etc are easy to get and relatively cheap. I have never eaten so much aubergine as I have over the last few months and, as they’re on offer in Morrisons at the moment, they’re on the menu again tonight as I’ll make a lasagne for the family and my version will have aubergine instead of pasta – like a poor man’s moussaka.

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

If there is one food I think I could lick off a salad plate it’s pomegranate molasses! I have a recipe for green beans blanched served with quartered fresh figs and toasted almonds with a PM dressing that people fight over. As you can see I love simple make ahead but tasty recipes. The most addictive of all the sugars. Or is it coconut sugar I reckon you only need to sniff it not even eat it!

Must stop reminiscing about my favourite sugars!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

KrysiaD
    Well done, power of the mind huh. We can’t change our world but we can change our mind, so that changes how everything appears to it. Including refined carbs. ๐Ÿ˜Š Wonderful examples thank you for sharing ๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿ™‹

• posted by Lara
    on

I continue to be amazed by the changes I’ve made in the last 7 weeks and how quickly my body has responded to the new regime. I’ve been poisoning my body with sugar and simple carbs for decades, but in just a few weeks my body is responding and (I believe) healing itself. I used to crave carbs and sugar. Now my taste buds crave broccoli and cauliflower soup! And goat cheese! I’m trying to listen to the signals when my body asks for different veggies or more healthy fats, even if it means going a little over the daily 800c ๐Ÿ™‚ (and studiously ignoring those destructive little voices that still try to derail the progress I’ve made). Our minds are so powerful, but we have to train them to think good thoughts ๐Ÿ™‚

KrysiaD, I’m so happy for you. What a great result. I can imagine how terrifying those appointments are. I have 6 monthly reviews with my ophthalmologist and every time there is such fear of bad news about the invisible damage being done.

Stay strong everyone!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi all, I have put several posts on here and I cant find any of them. Oh well. Never mind. Last night I had a dream that I was at the theatre and in the interval they brought out meals on a tray and it was burger in a bun and chips and I ate it. I was crying all the time saying I cant find anything else to eat. Funny thing is when I got weighed this morning I had gained 0.1 of a kilo. Ho hum, that’s life.

BG this morning was 3.8, and after a breakfast of 2 eggs scrambled with a little cheese it was still 3.9. I was a little worried as I was going swimming so I had a slice of ham and 2 prunes. I was okay and took some glucose with me. Maybe I should lower my insulin even further but my HBA1c is on Monday and I don’t want to mess around right now.

Keep on keeping on…

• posted by Marsie
    on

So many people joining in, its great, but because I usually only go onto the interweb after dinner is done and dusted, its taking an age to read everyone’s posts (so as to avoid some witless &/or boring tv shows). Will be reviewing my methodology:)
    KrysiaD, such wonderful news for you re your eyes. I’m so much in admiration for what you’ve achieved and can understand your trepidation about such appointments.
    Lots of good news on the first couple of days. Personally, I’ve had an oopsie day today, pick, pick, pick. Once started hard to stop. Approaching 10pm here on the west coast of Aus so I’m ruling a line under this day. Tomorrow will be a planned affair, starting with gym and pilates first thing.
    G’luck everyone, love you all for your energy xx,

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Marsie ,I’m in Perth so Hi.Ive also had the munchies all day today.Thankfully, I will be working tomorrow so no time for snacks and definitely will walk a good few steps, It seems like as soon as we say’ strictly’ its tempting fate and its more difficult to stay on the strait and narrow. The discussion about fluids was very timely as we are going to be very hot 35degrees tomorrow and we need plenty of fluids. The best way is to observe the urine and keep drinking till pale yellow.I also add salt to food in hot weather. cheers to all

• posted by Verano
    on

Wishing all our American ‘travellers’ – Very Happy Thanksgiving… have a lovely day.

This may be too late but check out the dietdoctor.com for low-carb Thanksgiving recipes… may just help to save you from yourselves.

• posted by Verano
    on

Butterlover sorry about the ‘strictly’ tag but it comes from a tv program we have here ‘Strictly Come Dancing’ . It’s very popular here but maybe you also have it so you know about it! Please don’t take it as having to be strict with yourself … no need for the extra pressure!!! It’s more really that this is definitely the last four week challenge of 2016!!!

If you want to jump off the straight and narrow feel free!!!

• posted by jmarie41
    on

Thank you KrysiaD for the Thanksgiving wishes! I need to get up out of this chair and get busy preparing. The guests arrive tomorrow about 1 pm. My husband is home today so I’ll have to work around him. He’s not a household helper–I raised him wrong ! Ha! Ha!

Welcome to everyone who’s joined since I last posted! It is wonderful to be part of such a great group of people supporting each other through this. I really also enjoy reading about the cultural differences in food and words used–love it! I’m from California and it seems like there are a lot of people on this forum from Australia and the U.K. Is that right? I’ve been to the U.K. many times but never to Australia. I really want to visit! Where is everyone from? Any other places?

I’m going to keep water by my side today as I prepare for the Thanksgiving dinner. I know you’ll all be close enough on the forum if I get weak. I’ll check in for some support! :–)

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Good morning world! I love waking up and reading posts from everywhere — all you warm and nice people! Hey Jmarie41, I’m in San Francisco Bay Area too! We live in Morgan Hill way on the west side under Mount Madonna. I work in Los Gatos and I grew up in Saratoga. We are off to Santa Barbara today to celebrate Thanksgiving with my cousins and my nephew/sister/son/daughter in law/2 granddaughters/extremely old dad! I’m going to stay on fast for most of today and eat fish tonight, then tomorrow I will eat light until dinner so I can eat a small piece of pie. Probably pumpkin. I cannot do Thanksgiving without pie — just can’t happen. My biggest challenge will be not drinking too much! We are a wine-pouring family. Friday I am back to 800 calories. I hope your strategies are successful!
    KrysiaD — your experience is terrifying — no wonder you got so stressed — huge congrats on controlling your blood sugars.
    And JulesMaigret, OMG, a patisserie IN the hospital? What are they thinking!!!!! Well, we are going to have to change the world one 800 calorie day after another!
    Happy Thanksgiving all! In which America remembers the details of the year 1620 when the pilgrims set sail from Leyden and arrived to a “hideous and desolate wilderness, full of wilde beasts” and “behind them a mighty ocean which they had passed and was now a main bar or gulph to separate them from all the civil parts of the world” — ha and all we do now is eat pie!!๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

I am so pleased that I am not the only one here who gets stressed about the visits to the hospital ophthalmologist. It is the thought of all the invisible damage being done which only shows up on their scans and even though I knew my bs had been good since my last appointment it was still scary.

By my next appointment in 6 months time I should hopefully feel more confident that the scans will be ok.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Trelawny welcome to the group and enjoy the journey!

on

I don’t know what is happening but I have posted 4 or 5 times on this thread and everything has disappeared. Can someone please acknowledge this post so I know it is being seen.

on

Now you see it now you don’t. very strange

• posted by Busybee
    on

I see it!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Day 2 carb total 36.3g. Including a small slice of rye bread toast, and some nice fruit with yoghurt. Tomorrow the lions share of my carbs will almost certainly come from a banana, as I bought a bagful on the way home. Will chop some of them and freeze them for future smoothies and or cakes etc, but they were too good a price to miss. Only one badminton session today, instead of my usual 2 as I ran completely out of legs. I’ll take the hint from my body and give it some TLC and an early night. Have a good day 3 everyone.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi sunshine I can see you!!!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I see your post sunshine-girl ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by Trelawny
    on

Thanks for the welcome Verano.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

On the ‘ have people noticed’ theme that JMARIE started, i think sometimes family,friends,co workers may not notice coz they see us all the time..today tho i was at a retirement party and saw lots of people i havent seen for over 12 months..they all noticed and made nice remarks on how good i was looking. People i see all the time havent passed any comment ( which is partly coz these people hve seen me yoyo up and down many times before! And possibly got tired of commenting!Another reason for non response! !)
    I am happy to say i didnt partake of any of the party goodies..it wasnt that hard to leave them alone really, i just reminded myself of this last pre christmas push we’ re doing!
    Anyhoo night night all,and AA VERY HAPPY THANKSGIVING TOMORROW FOR ALL OUR AMERICAN FRIENDS ..ENJOY TIME WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS AND KEEP AN EYE ON THOSE NAUGHTY NAUGHTY CARBS! XXX

on

thank you mixnmatch, they have all reappeared.

• posted by jmarie41
    on

Yowzer49, that must have felt good to receive those compliments about your weight loss today at the retirement party you went to! It makes sense that people who see us all the time don’t notice the changes. Congrats on making it through the party without eating the party goodies.

California girl, we don’t live that far away from each other! My husband and I live in Livermore out by Wente Golf Course. I was born in raised in Fremont and we moved her to Livermore 4 years ago. I work in Newark. Enjoy your Thanksgiving with your family down in Santa Barbara. It’s such a beautiful place to visit. I like your idea about saving up for your piece of pie!

Thank you Yowzer49 and Verano for the Thanksgiving wishes. It’s a big food holiday here. It feels a little odd making all this high carb food for the family when I have no plans to eat it. . .but traditions are such that everyone wants this meal once a year.

Off to bed now! Tomorrow’s going to be a busy day.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Seeing you Sunshine-girl. Cheers.

Hi there, Butterlover, love your name;) We’re in Sorrento, what about you?

Hope Thanksgiving Day went well for our American fellow travellers (on this BSD journey).

Cheering everyone on ………xx

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Jmarie41
    I also felt odd about giving my daughters and their families high carb food when they came up for a visit recently. I was all prepared to only serve BSD food but they had been so looking forward to all the sugar and carbs that we had to make a very quick change of plan.

Marsie – hope you have a good day today. The lovely thing about the BSD is that it is easier than other eating plans to put an oopsie day or days behind you.

Lara – this morning I thought about your post yesterday when you said your taste buds now crave cauliflower and broccoli soup. I have eggs virtually every morning and this morning my taste buds were craving mushrooms, kale and asparagus stir fried in butter and added to the omelette with cheddar cheese. It was delicious – taste buds now very happy.

I also was thinking about what you said about poisoning your body with sugar and simple carbs for decades and the invisible damage. When I was young I was very thin but always warm – never cold. I grew into a very cold adult – cold all the time. My husband used to joke about how could anyone have such cold hands and feet and still be alive. This got worse on the BSD as obviously the fat was providing some insulation.

Recently I began to notice that I was gradually feeling warmer. I didn’t need the extra layers that I needed in the autumn nor did I have to put the heating up. Could it be that my circulation is now improving and it is not just the blood vessels in my eyes that are healing.

What a wonderful thought that we can heal our bodies just with our food choices.

• posted by Verano
    on

DAY 3

Good morning everyone !

Hope all is still going well with you.

Very interesting thought about circulation Krysia. I’m sure that if we had x-ray eyes and could see what food actually does to the inside of our bodies everyone would make better choices. I can honestly say that being ‘fat’ on the inside had just never occurred to me before I read the BSD book. I don’t know why because it’s logical that if you are obese you must have internal as well as external changes.

It’s so good to know when somebody else joins the ‘no carbs because we don’t like the taste’ club. I think it’s such a revelation when you actually realise that you’ve not had simple or nasty carbs for so long and you’ve not missed them! I just don’t fancy pasta, rice, potatoes or bread anymore. I never was a ‘pie’ or ‘pastry’ eater really I always preferred cheese …. now I can eat it and enjoy!!

So Day 2 for me was better. Managed 4 of my 5 -a-day … no oat biscuits, or oat gingers or even my half ration of chocolate. Drank my water BUT also drank red wine!! Oh dear! But at least I’m getting there and this is only day3 of 28 so still plenty of time to make the full 5-a-day.

Have a good day.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Verano.

Day 3

Doing okay how about you, had a bit of a wobble yesterday as we drove from Kent to Suffolk very spontaneously, and viewed and brought an enormous two barn derelict project which came onto the Internet the night before, this is to build our home to retire in, husbands a builder but it’s still very daunting, so went over to my sister she’s 45 mins away from this barn and had a planned chicken dinner, but I slipped when some birthday cake came out, had a bit , but only one which was good for me , but weighed in this morning, and ketosis is working as I am down 1.4 k so feeling worn out but happy.
    Skinny lasagne for dinner, have you made it, very nice and cheesy, and the aubergines are quite meaty.

Also not sure what’s happened but I’m not getting any email alerts despite being logged onto them any ideas๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿ™‹

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Weighed myself for the first time since Saturday and after a few very active days, where I’ve still managed to stick to BSD principles (apart from the veggie wrap for Monday lunch – least worst option!) I am now 19st 3lbs which means 60lb gone!

Now looking for the weight to start with an 18 by Christmas. I have to be realistic as I have seven Christmas functions between now and 20/12 so keeping to the straight and narrow will be difficult.

on

Good morning everyone, love to all my inspirational friends here. I have been very naughty this morning. I got up early and, not having had anything to eat since 10 pm I got in the car and drove to the laboratory and had my blood test done. I had a chat with the lovely man who took my blood (the same man for 10 years) and told him I wanted to be 5.5, he looked at my last result at 6.7 and said, pas possible but bon chance avec รงa (not possible but good luck with that) and laughed at me. When I had got the plaster on my arm, put my jacket on and picked up my handbag I said, remember, you heard it here 5.5, he laughed. I will let you know the results when I get them later today. Wish me bon chance.

P.S. the reason I was naughty is because I was scheduled for my test on Monday but just couldn’t wait any longer.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Good morning everyone. How exciting greenjanet, building our own home was something we wanted to do. Bun did not get around to it! Trying and testing times ahead for you and your husband. Congratulations JulesMaigret on your weight loss. Fantastic achievement.
    I have not weighed this week and want a surprise on Saturday when we have completed the 8 week bsd. We have decided to continue with the way of eating as we have enjoyed everything we have tried out of the recipe book. We cannot believe how well we feel.
    Love the support on here. I just have great difficulty keeping up with everyones progress.

• posted by Verano
    on

Brilliant Jules!!

I know that at this time of the year there are far many more testing moments but in reality we have to negotiate lots of hurdles through the year. I think it just gets easier as you lose the ‘taste’ for carbs as time goes on and especially when the scales are dropping!!

Hi Jan well done on your loss… probably a mixture of excitement and fear!! I know how daunting a ‘project’ can be but at least you ‘know’ your builder!!! We extended and at one point just had two outside walls still standing … I’m amazed they didn’t fall down. But many many months later we had a lovely home. That was 6 years ago and I’ve forgotten the pain, the times where I wanted to sell it and be done and the rest of the aggravation that comes with building!!! Again least you’ll know if your builder is going to turn up or not!!!!

Anyway best of luck with it.

Better day for me yesterday as I posted above managed 4 of my 5-a-day so an improvement on Tuesday!

Just tick the notify me box again and you should be kept up to date.

• posted by Verano
    on

Sunshine waiting with baited breath!!!! Why not do it today a few more days probably wouldn’t make much difference! This thread really is an inspiration for me too don’t know why more than the others unless it’s because it’s just 4 weeks.

Fairyface I often can’t keep up either so apologies to anyone I seem to be ignoring judge an oversight! So glad you’re carrying on you will only feel better for it and eventually carbs have very little, if no, part in your life. Let us know how you get on on Saturday.

on

Verano, my morning BG was running so low (3.5) so often that I feel it is time to reduce the insulin a little more but I didn’t want to do that before the test. This morning it was 3.8 so just thought it is time. Will report as soon as I know the truth.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Sunshine-girl – I rather think that the lovely man who did your blood test will have to eat his words.

Congratulations JulesMaigret on the 60lbs gone. A fantastic achievement.

Greenjanet – your building project sounds so exciting. Will you stay in your current home while you do the work? Well done for your weight loss and staying in ketosis.

Verano well done on your achieving 4 out of your 5 yesterday.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Guys, can I join in? I let everyone down badly on the previous four-week challenge and gave up posting. Too many complications and social obligations… Anyway, I’m setting myself a target for this four weeks of 2.1 kg, which would be a total of ten kilos off my starting weight.

Best of luck, everyone.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Snoop

Welcome back! There is no failure or letting down here. The only thing we must never do is give up starting over. You weren’t the only one that has had a few iffy weeks!

But this is a new challenge and a new day so a new start. You’ve set yourself a good doable target. I think a few of us are looking for a loss of around 5lbs and I’m sure we can all do that.

Enjoy the journey and don’t give up posting no matter what!

• posted by Cleverblonde73
    on

Am fashionably late with my aims here! but would love to be involved. 5 week weigh in tomorrow and I have been resolutely stuck around the 10stone 4 mark for the past week, so hoping tomorrow morning I will actually drop slightly. My aim is to finally crack getting under 10stone by Christmas. Very much feeling like a so near and yet so far scenario at the moment…So am trying to focus on the 12lb lost already and my stable BS readings.

• posted by CosmicGoddess
    on

Hi Guys, I’ve been lurking here for a while and would like to join the challenge, albeit a little late…..I had already decided to end 2016 on a high and start next year ‘ahead of the game’ and not completely depressed and demotivated!!! I have already put together a BSD eating plan for the next 4 weeks to Xmas and I came on here for extra motivation and inspiration and found this thread, perfect!

I haven’t done the plan before so will use this challenge to keep strong and focused for the first 4 weeks. I would like to lose 4-5kg before Xmas and then allow myself Xmas day to enjoy and then get straight back to it. I have got 7kg to lose in total. It used to be 3kg after the birth of my son (12 years ago!!!!) and I just seem to have been bouncing up and down the same 2-3 kg and now this year, it has started going in totally the wrong direction :'(

I don’t really have a sweet tooth and have eaten low carb before and enjoy it, so I know what I am in for and feel very positive about giving this a 100%. Reading all of the comments on here and seeing how well you are doing has been a inspirational and it is brilliant to be able to encourage and be encouraged by others with the same goals. I also have a dress that I bought to slim into for my brother’s wedding (it was in March, I had to buy another dress!!), so I want to be wearing that on Xmas Day!!

As my first week’s weight loss should in theory be a good one, I am aiming to have lost 1.5kg by next Thursday.

I’m feeling really inspired and looking forward to the journey. Here’s to an amazing run-up to Xmas for all of us!!!

on

Hi CosmicGoddess (love your name) you are not too late, some of us here started on a Tuesday to we always start new challenges on a Tuesday, today is 4 weeks and 3 day to Christmas Day so you are still in the running. Good luck and stick with us.

• posted by Trelawny
    on

JulesMaigret, huge congratulations on this goal. On to the next. Well done xx

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi everyone, had a reasonable day today.still had a feeling of weakness in the afternoon.so stopped for a latte and a sweet bun.I was really in need of energy but the bun was not good and I stopped after 1 bite which is a new experience for me.completed all my shopping and when I got home BGL at 5. So had a healthy dinner,salmon and salad stayed under 800 but carbs were over.Never mind tomorrows another day.
    Marsie ,I’m in Edgewater maybe we could walk together or have a cuppa.Isn’t it strange that we need to log on to somewhere on the other side of the world to get connected ,when we are only ten minutes drive apart.
    Great to see everyone is working on their goals,keep up the great effort.I hope all the Americans enjoyed their hollidays

on

MY RESULTS ARE IN – HBA1c 5.9 (down from 6.7) I had hoped for 5.5 but I cannot be disappointed in what it is. Now I can aim for 5.5 at my next set of tests. I’m sure my doctor will be over the moon. Keep on keeping on…

• posted by Cleverblonde73
    on

That’s brilliant Sunshine Girl you should def not be disappointed! fantastic progress. Am only hoping I can have good results when I test again at the end of January.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Hi everyone, May I join in please? I ‘ve been on the BSD for just over 3 weeks. My aim is to get healthy and stay that way. I have a strong family history of type 2 Db (Dad & 2 siblings) and started to get concerned when I began to ‘thicken up’ around the middle for no obvious reason (not my usual weight gain pattern). I have recently been declared cured of Breast Cancer and discharged from the Oncology clinic following 5years of treatment, so can now safely lose weight (Oncology don’t seem to like weight loss!). I also have high blood pressure.
    My first 3 weeks on BSD have been tough but successful and I have lost the spare tyre already. My most recent weigh in put my BMI in the normal range by a staggering 1.6 oz! ๐Ÿ˜€ I would like to lose at least another 6lb. I LOVE the food and I am feeling increasingly energetic as the days go by. I can’t imagine ever going back to carbified eating! However, my motivation to stick with 800 cals has become severely challenged, and the forum I was on has gone very quiet (just when I needed it most!) (for the record I’m age 61)
    Hello to everyone posting from CA, I have the fondest memories of my four years in California! Happy Thanksgiving!

• posted by jmarie41
    on

Hi Daisiesmum!
    So glad you are joining in!! This was a great idea of Verano’s–to start a support forum for the 4 weeks leading up to Christmas.
    Wow! You have gone through a lot. Congrats on getting the green light on being able to diet. Wonderful news about being “declared cured of Breast Cancer”.
    Sounds like your weight has dropped to a terrific level! The 800 calories isn’t easy. I’m in my 7th week and in the first few weeks, I kept below 800 everyday but now I am starting to dip into the 900’s so need to get it back in check. It just seems to take so much longer to lose a lb. if I go above the 800.
    Thanks for the Thanksgiving wishes. I cooked all day yesterday and everything just needs to be reheated today. It was a lot of work but glad I did it in advance of the party. I can’t imagine doing all that today and being calm when everyone arrives. :–)
    Wishing you a successful 6 lbs off this holiday season.

• posted by jmarie41
    on

Congrats Sunshine-girl on the excellent reading! That must feel great! :–)

• posted by jmarie41
    on

Hi Butterlover,
    Wow! Amazing that you only took 1 bite and didn’t want to eat the rest of your bun. Fantastic!
    Starbucks here in California has very little choices for low carb–I have to buy a sandwich and eat only the meat and cheese out of it. Hopefully that will change in the future so there are more choices for those who don’t want the carbs.
    Your dinner sounded delicious and you stuck to the calories. Yay!

• posted by jmarie41
    on

Welcome CosmicGoddess!! Sounds like you have a plan in place and will reach your goal for Christmas. Glad you are joining in.
    When I was reading your entry where you talked about not wanting to be depressed as you start the new year, I thought of all the times I wanted to be thin enough by Christmas to be able to wear a nice dress and feel good in it but the pull of Christmas treats in both food and drink led me in the wrong direction. I’d wake up on New Year’s Day determined to start anew, only to be off track within a couple weeks. I’d feel so depressed that I was overweight and wishing I had stuck to my diet. But that’s not going to happen this year! We are all going to reach Christmas feeling good about our progress and looking forward to the New Year with more goals to reach including many that have nothing to do with our weight. And eating this way, our blood sugar will be in much better control than it was when we ate way too many carbs.

Please log in or register to post a reply.